PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of new gun....

walkbyfaith
01-25-2014, 10:04 PM
So seeing as my cm9 is back at kahr getting some warranty work, it doesn't really leave me with a good ccw (s&w 915). So I have been looking and studying and dreaming and I have come up with a few options.
Kahr k9
Glock 26
Sr9c
M&p40c
Or go all out and get a glock 23.
Hmmmm decisions decisions.

chrish
01-25-2014, 10:13 PM
There are only two guns out there right now I'd consider as my ccw after my tp9 and p9. Those two would be a glock 19 or a ruger lcr 38 or 357. Just some other options to consider.

walkbyfaith
01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Oh yes, forgot about the rock solid wheel guns. Very suitable option thanks. Glock 23 is an option for the sake of the barrel conversion for the glock 19.

GLOCKROCKER
01-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Lots of viable options out there. For me there are 2 main characteristics that a carry weapon should have - #1 it must go BANG! when the trigger is pulled and #2 it should be simple and intuitive without unnecessary safetys. That's why I primarily carry Kahrs, Glocks, and snubbys.( I like a little variety ). If you don't already own one, my vote goes to Glock, provided you like the way they feel in your hand. As with any gun purchase you should handle it, feel the trigger and if possible shoot one before laying down the green.

CJB
01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
I like to front pocket carry most of the time, and Kahr does it for me. I find the PM45 fits in my pocket. I just love them PM45's.

I can't really imagine any other daily carry than the PM45 or PM9. Glock goes bang too easily for concealment in a pocket - although holster carry and uniform carry are just fine (usually....).

I've got an SP-101 that I'm fond of, but its a discontinued model, one of the first made, and although its seen its more than ample share of use, I don't want to modify it by dehorning it for pocket carry. The thought of an LCR-357 still goes through my head, but with two PM45's and a PM9, I really have no additional need, and its not a handgun that I'd shoot for fun.

The only pistol that really gathers my attention currently - and you might want to wait to see one - is the new Remington R51, which may prove to be a real sleeper at just under $400 (well they MSRP'd it again at just over $400, but street price will probably make it around the orignal $389ish). The design is such that the slide should be VERY easy to rack (due to the delayed blowback, aka Browning long recoil system as modified by Pederson). Reports of "gritty" slites and sharp checkering from those who went to SHOT. However, triggers were judged as adequate to fantastic. I don't get a gun to admire its slide rack, but to shoot. I suspect the gritty was actually the very weird feeling slide action, where there are internal parts that engage and disengage during the slides rearward travel. So... that will probably be my next firearm.

Just my 2.3cents

tc scout
01-26-2014, 08:37 AM
If you are thinking G26 you might as well go G23 Gen 3 IMO, not much bigger and a lot more rounds. My G23 with a Lone Wolf .40 match barrel is very accurate.
My second choice would be the M&P 40c, had a 9c which I wish I had never sold :(. Had a SR9 and a G26, both gone. Just bought a CM9, my first Kahr, haven't shot it yet but like the fit, will be better when I get my Talon grips.

So seeing as my cm9 is back at kahr getting some warranty work, it doesn't really leave me with a good ccw (s&w 915). So I have been looking and studying and dreaming and I have come up with a few options.
Kahr k9
Glock 26
Sr9c
M&p40c

walkbyfaith
01-26-2014, 08:46 AM
So some background, I have owned a glock 22 in the past, and really enjoyed it. Also have owned an xds 9mm, shield 40, cw9, and shot several others. That new remington did catch my eye, though it would have To grow on me because it's not the best looking gun. I have never shot a compact revolver, so I have no idea what the recoil would be like.
I like the trigger on the ruger sr series. Like how comfortable the m&p models are but HATE the trigger, would take more money to install apex parts.
Glock 23 seems more and more reasonable. I would get a gen 4 though
Love my cm9 with talon grips.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/walkbyfaith91809/null_zps2111e482.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/walkbyfaith91809/media/null_zps2111e482.jpg.html)

chrish
01-26-2014, 09:10 AM
CJB brings up a good point. While I've considered those other two I mentioned, it's hard to think of carrying anything but my Kahrs. So in that vain, why not another duplicate Kahr? Just get yourself another CM, or a CW and call it a day. You are gonna come out cheaper than a Glock, in fact, probably cheaper than anything you have on your list or the other suggestions here...and you already know you will like it. Shopping done. Boring. But shopping done. :)

If anything DOES go amiss w/ either in the future, you have a backup while the fishy one is off to Kahr or your local gunsmith. Same trigger, same carry comfort, same controls, yadda, yadda. Familiarity is a good thing. It's the main reason I have two (previously 3) Kahrs. I personally will never have fewer than 2 Kahrs and they'd be the last 2 guns I'd get rid of if it came to it.

wyntrout
01-26-2014, 09:37 AM
You could try a CW9. I've found that I can carry the P-models as easily as the PMs using my MiniTuck for the PM9. I like the size of the P/CW/K... just right.

I do replace the polymer bases on the CCW mags with the metal base kits, though... slightly more concealable. I added a 3/32" by 3/4" inner diameter neoprene O-ring to fill the gap between the metal base and the grip to stop pinches.

Wynn:)

berettabone
01-26-2014, 10:12 AM
I'd go with a PM or an HK compact.......................I had an SR series and the trigger sucks................no Glocks for this guy.......................small revolver would be nice.....it's just until you get the other one back.

mr surveyor
01-26-2014, 11:15 AM
everyone needs at least one good quality revolver and a couple of carry method options. Once you have one, you never realize how you tend to gravitate to carrying it much more than you would have ever thought you would;)

RevRay
01-26-2014, 03:17 PM
If you want to fully appreciate the Kahr line-up you have to try one of the all-metal ones ... which for CCW would mean either an MK9 (which I have & love) or a K9 (which I also have in its cheaper E9 version ... and which I also love).

b4uqzme
01-26-2014, 03:18 PM
I have never shot a compact revolver, so I have no idea what the recoil would be like.
]

I can answer that one: pretty darn stout if not uncomfortable in 357 but just fine in 38sp and 38sp+p. But everyone reacts to recoil differently. But I still recommend one.

Barth
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Kahr k9
Glock 26
Sr9c
M&p40c

I know this is a Kahr forum.
But as some folks know - I've been addicted to HK.
My suggestion would be a HK P2000SK LEM.
Or go all in with a HK P30 LEM.
BTW I own both.
http://i.imgur.com/h0iiol.jpg
http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2012/04/HK-P30_001.jpg

downtownv
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Look at the Sig 938 the bugs are gone and they are extremely accurate,reliable and concealable!

walkbyfaith
01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Those HK's are super nice, comfortable, and great looking guns, but you certainly pay for them.
Buddy of mine has a p938 extreme, and it's an awesome gun, but I don't like the single action for a daily carry. Not my preference.

kwh
01-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Those HK's are super nice, comfortable, and great looking guns, but you certainly pay for them.
Buddy of mine has a p938 extreme, and it's an awesome gun, but I don't like the single action for a daily carry. Not my preference.
A lot of talk lately about Kahr follower problems and Kahr good/bad service. I have a CM9 CW45 and soon a CW380 and so far no problems. I have never had an HK. My question is: I have read that HK caters to the Police and Military markets and that the individual consumer is not a high priority when it comes to service. Any truth?

berettabone
01-26-2014, 07:09 PM
How about one of these in 9mm.........................

DeaconKC
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
A carry gun needs to be a smaller gun. Single stack mags or J frame size revolvers are king for that reason. The S&W 915 and the Glock 19/23 are excellent general purpose guns, but they are not concealment guns. "No gun too big to shoot or too small to carry." is still true today. I carry a Glock 23 on duty everyday and a KelTec PF9 off duty. Unless you are built like a greyhound, the G23 will print. My partner is in excellent shape and has to dress carefully to carry his G26 without printing and he uses IWB carry.

queevil
01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
I would have to agree with the above post. I've know two people with the small Glocks, a 26 and a 27, and neither one of them carried them for very long because unless you're a large framed person they're not as easy to conceal as you might think. I think a k9 would serve you well. I've fired one and it's a creampuff in the recoil department. A snubby with hot .38's would work as well. Have you you seen or handled a Springfield XDs? It's a slick little unit. Most of the ones that I've seen are chambered in .45cap but they can be had in 9mm which is the route that I would go because I'm not a fan of the .45 in short barrels.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

walkbyfaith
01-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the advice and wisdom. After carrying my cm9 for a while and then carrying my s&w 915 was just crazy huge. I drool a little every time I see a k9/mk9, I would love to find one. Andi. Also like the xds a lot, has a great glock like trigger that is very predictable. Great advice thanks.

rjt123
01-26-2014, 09:44 PM
I drool a little every time I see a k9/mk9, I would love to find one.

The all metal Kahrs are simply a whole other gear. Before I picked up my K9 Elite, I would see people praising the metal frame models and thought "Yeah, yeah, yeah...how much better could it be?"

Oh. My. God. It's hard to describe how much better they shoot. The action is sooo much smother than any of the poly frames. The extra weight of the frame just soaks up the low level of recoil that all Kahrs enjoy. The shooting experience is simply fantastic.

IMHO the Elites are just gorgeous, especially with some nice wood grips. If you could sweet-talk Bawanna into making you a set of his to-die-for wood grips, well....

To find one, just keep an eye on Gunbroker or Armslist. New and good condition used guns show up there all the time. You can get a decent deal if you put in the time and effort. I bought mine from BudsGunShop.com, and it was a fair price.

Keep that K9/MK9 on your "someday" list. Come the day, you'll be so glad you bought it.

Just my $0.02 worth. ;)

NRA Endowment Life Member

walkbyfaith
01-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for that advice. I should really just hold out for one. I don't want one of the nypd models, I heard they have a different trigger that isn't as good.
I will keep my eyes open though.

b4uqzme
01-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for that advice. I should really just hold out for one. I don't want one of the nypd models, I heard they have a different trigger that isn't as good.

Fyi. Even if you find an NYPD gun you won't be disappointed. They are not that much different. Definitely get a steel Kahr if you are thinking that at all. They are the best.

Barth
01-27-2014, 05:19 AM
A lot of talk lately about Kahr follower problems and Kahr good/bad service. I have a CM9 CW45 and soon a CW380 and so far no problems. I have never had an HK. My question is: I have read that HK caters to the Police and Military markets and that the individual consumer is not a high priority when it comes to service. Any truth?

I've ordered parts from HKCS and their service was exemplary.
As a member of HKPro all I've read about has been folks getting exceptional service from HK.

I personally recommend HK weapons and customer service.

You can always find someone with a sour grapes story about anything.
Particularly on the internet.

RevRay
01-27-2014, 07:46 AM

If you're serious, and cost is a concern ... you could consider an E9. They are almost identical to the K9's, just not as fancy. There are 2 listed on Gunbrokers right now ... they always go for a good bit less than the K9's.

FrankinCA
01-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Kahr K9. Here's my reasoning:

1. It works. It's small enough that in appendix carry, it disappears. Also, the same manual of arms as your current pistol.
2. I'd skip the J Frame. I had a model 36. I sold it. It was hard to aim and reloading for a five shot takes longer and more practice. Reloading in the dark or under stress is easier with an autoloader.
3. 9mm has negligible recoil.. I've shot 147 grain HST and Golden Saber. Low flash and recoil was mid. Those are two excellent loads.
4. Although the .40. is a good round, I feel it is best served in larger framed pistols (Sig P226/Glock22). The tradeoff is recoil. I don't own any .40's. I own 9mm and .45.
4. I've shot the Ruger SR. Trigger was horrible and the ergonomics were lacking (grip felt uncomfortable)
5. I have a Glock 26. I disagree with the poster who said the Glock23 was only a little larger. The G26 is smaller and disappears in an appendix holster. The trigger is different from a Kahr.

Those are my opinions...

Barth
01-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Kahr K9.

If you prefer a larger caliber gun?
I rented a K40 and found it very soft shooting as well.
My MK40 Elite is a keeper.
The all stainless Kahrs are hard to beat.

walkbyfaith
01-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Well I made a purchase today and the gun wasn't in my intended line up of next guns because of price and availability. Was a gun I have always wanted and I'm super happy about my purchase. I think when I am ready for a kahr k9, I'm going to put up the cash for an elite model.

So for my purchase I got a brand new Walther PPS off gun broker for $400. Sweet sweet deal that I couldn't pass up.

RRP
02-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Good quality gun. Now it's time to revise your wish list and keep your eyes open for the next deal.

Contribute to the American economy and buy while you still can.

olympicmotorcars
02-01-2014, 07:02 AM
A new PPS for $400 is a screaming deal, congratulations. I own a PPS 40 and love it, you will too I predict.

Every time I go to the range with someone else, they always want to shoot the PPS. Just something special about it, hard to say exactly what.

addictedhealer
02-01-2014, 07:08 AM
I agree wheel gun! Sure do love my LCR.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/01/qevuru2u.jpg

Also the MK9 is the sweetest steel micro on the market. I want so bad!