PDA

View Full Version : Lead reloads ok?

tennvol
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm considering a 9mm and a 45 Kahr in the very near future. Are there any issues shooting lead round nose reloads in these guns?

ripley16
09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Kahr now sells both rifled and polygonal barrels. Polygonal barrels typically require extra cleaning if using lead.

This is from the Kahr web site;

Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets.

I've used lead through polygonal barrels with no ill effects other than spending extra time cleaning.

johnh
09-18-2009, 06:45 AM
My experience as well. Extra cleaning, and it also helps to find cast bullets that are pretty hard. One of our moderators shoots USPSA regularly with Glocks using the factory barrels and has for many years. He has not had issues other than more elbow grease when cleaning.

John

500KV
09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
I too, shoot lead in my CW45 (rifled barrel) and my Glocks (polygonal barrels).

I avoid shooting lead in .40 cal though. Just a thing I have, although I know guys who do.

It does require extra cleanup, as stated above.
I've found a piece of a Chore Boy pad wrapped around a bore cleaning brush really cuts the lead out of a barrel, simplifying the process somewhat.

kahrcrazy
09-18-2009, 07:27 AM
NO. Do not use lead rounds and/or reloads in a Kahr. Both void your warranty and will absolutely foul the barrel. Not worth the savings.

WMD
09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Folks have been shooting land & groove for decades. Shoudn't be a problem if the barrel is routinely cleaned. I do not know much about polyganol so therefore cannot comment.

johnh
09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
My mistake on the warranty issue. I need to read the manual..

I certainly would avoid doing things that could affect warranty. I know Kahrs rarely go back, but you never know.

John

tennvol
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
My plan was to shoot hardcast bullets, no more than 150 per range session, and clean with a outers foul out system to chemically remove the lead from the barrel.

tv_racin_fan
11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't see anything in the manual about lead bullets voiding the warranty but I do see something about reloads doing so. No matter to me, when I get around to reloading for 9mm I'll be shooting them thru my Kahr(s). Two of them are already out of warranty date and the third will be by then.

ltxi
11-27-2009, 05:46 PM
My plan was to shoot hardcast bullets, no more than 150 per range session, and clean with a outers foul out system to chemically remove the lead from the barrel.

Then you'll be fine.

woodman
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I have put thousands of lead bullets through my Glock 17 with its polyogonal barrel and there has been no problems. Don't see why it should bother the Kahr's barrel.