PDA

View Full Version : G42 first impressions

Barth
02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
GlockTalk:
G42 Problems?
Has anyone with a g42 had any problems with ftf, fte, and slide not staying locked back on last round?
The wife and I took ours to the range last week for the first time and had nothing but problems.
I was using pmc bronze and federal target / range load and had the same problems on both.
The gun was cleaned and lubed properly.
A guy next to us said to tighten up more on the grip.
This semed to help but still had some issues, especially when the wife was shooting it.
Should I be able to shoot this reliably even if the grip is loose?
Im concerned because this was going to be my wifes cc gun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It has begun...

Tinman507
02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
I call BS on this....Everyone knows Glock is PERFECTION don't they?

Bawanna
02-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Your under buffering! Anybody can see that. Were you wearing a sack with eye hole cut outs? Probably should.

Longitude Zero
02-05-2014, 05:10 PM
380's in any weapon are problematic. That is why only the supremely ignorant own/use/carry that sub caliber.

berettabone
02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
GlockTalk:
G42 Problems?
Has anyone with a g42 had any problems with ftf, fte, and slide not staying locked back on last round?
The wife and I took ours to the range last week for the first time and had nothing but problems.
I was using pmc bronze and federal target / range load and had the same problems on both.
The gun was cleaned and lubed properly.
This semed to help but still had some issues, especially when the wife was shooting it.
Im concerned because this was going to be my wifes cc gun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It has begun...
Personally, I am ashamed at you..................all of those nice firearms you recovered from the flood, and you want to give your wife Tupperware for her CC firearm? You could try turning your hat sideways, and pulling your pants down a bithttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

b4uqzme
02-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Are you holding your mouth right? I notice sometimes when the fish aren't biting that I'm not holding my mouth right. Might help.

b4uqzme
02-05-2014, 06:30 PM
380's in any weapon are problematic. That is why only the supremely ignorant own/use/carry that sub caliber.

I think 380's make great pocket guns because they are so small but lousy wife's guns because they are so small.....then again I'm not too bright. :rolleyes:

DanTana
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
I've been hearing about these problems with the new glocks on other forums too. I guess these are not quite perfection.

b4uqzme
02-07-2014, 04:19 PM
i've been hearing about these problems with the new glocks on other forums too. I guess these are not quite perfection.

zing!

Longitude Zero
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
As I posed before the 380 caliber is very finicky. Even the mighty Glock is having to stomach some crow. As has EVERY manufacturer of 380's.

muggsy
02-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Hey! I resemble that. Except for a two month stay in Kahr Service baby is always been in my pocket. :32:

muggsy
02-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Your under buffering! Anybody can see that. Were you wearing a sack with eye hole cut outs? Probably should.

That's over buffering, Bawanna. Let's try to keep out technical terms straight. :)

b4uqzme
02-08-2014, 06:35 AM
I like my floors shiny.....so I tend to over-buffer.

muggsy
02-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Glock had problems with the Gen 4s. Every new gun that is rushed into production has problems. Sometimes the problems don't come to light until several thousand rounds are fired. Nothing is bullet proof. If one man can make it another can screw it up. That's one of natures laws. Works every time it's tried. :)

Longitude Zero
02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Like the old saying, "give a Marine and anvil and he will break it in no time."

DeaconKC
02-08-2014, 10:39 AM
When you cleaned and lubed it before hitting the range, did you wipe the copper colored lube off? Glock sends them out with that for break in. I don't know if that would really have that much of an effect on it, but I wondered about it.

ltxi
02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
I like my floors shiny.....so I tend to over-buffer.

Shiny floors suck.

Properly designed and executed .380s never have.

LT Drebin
02-09-2014, 06:39 AM
GlockTalk:

My first gun many moons ago was a G17, and I had exactly the same issue my first time at the range because I was "limp wristing" the gun. If you don't have a tight enough grip on it, it won't properly cycle.

Perhaps with practice, your wife could correct this. However, IMHO, if your wife ever did get in a situation where she needed the gun, stress tends to bring out our bad habits.

Maybe a revolver would make more sense here? There's a lot less to think about.

muggsy
02-09-2014, 07:44 AM
When are they going to come out with a revolver in .380 auto? Why I could corner the market on moon clips. Just sayin.

WLEEP
02-09-2014, 09:42 AM

I like okra.

berettabone
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
I like okra.
So do I, but it's hard to find fresh up here, and the frozen just isn't as good................http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

WLEEP
02-10-2014, 02:24 PM
So do I, but it's hard to find fresh up here, and the frozen just isn't as good................http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Amen brother, but remember, it ALWAYS has to be fried in LARD!

berettabone
02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
We coat it with Panko bread crumbs and spices and fry it in the fry pan.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

kahrseye
02-10-2014, 04:46 PM
A guy posted on XDtalk that he bought a g42 and had so many problems, he sold the gun. Said in 75 rounds he had 25 malfunctions.

b4uqzme
02-10-2014, 06:52 PM
A guy posted on XDtalk that he bought a g42 and had so many problems, he sold the gun. Said in 75 rounds he had 25 malfunctions.

So he just shot it 75 times and had a bunch of failures then gave up?

berettabone
02-10-2014, 07:02 PM
So he just shot it 75 times and had a bunch of failures then gave up?
Well, Glock's are the perfect firearm...........so...when they have a malfunction, it's like, they have to put it out of their misery, immediately.

ninjaturtl
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
When are they going to come out with a revolver in .380 auto? Why I could corner the market on moon clips. Just sayin.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=856&category=Revolver

b4uqzme
02-10-2014, 07:17 PM

That dang Taurus makes some goofy stuff. I am (passively) looking for a 9shot 22mag Taurus revolver though.

Kinda the antithesis of "Glock Perfection". Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

b4uqzme
02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Well, Glock's are the perfect firearm...........so...when they have a malfunction, it's like, they have to put it out of their misery, immediately.

Yeah, I heard they melt 'em down and make Burger King straws.....

wyntrout
02-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I just don't see any improvement over a PM9 DLC with NS! The CM9 is a cheaper version if price is one of your MAIN concerns.

Wynn:)

oppi27
02-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I just don't see any improvement over a PM9 DLC with NS! The CM9 is a cheaper version if price is one of your MAIN concerns.

When Hickok even makes mention of this, you know Glock dropped the ball.

Sure glad they listen.

berettabone
02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I heard they melt 'em down and make Burger King straws.....
I knew there was a reason I didn't eat there..............http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

muggsy
02-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Hot damn, I'm gonna be rich! Yer in for half of anything that I make off of this idea, Ninjatutrl. :)

ninjaturtl
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Hot damn, I'm gonna be rich! Yer in for half of anything that I make off of this idea, Ninjatutrl. :)

Hell, I'll take it! Half of nothing is still half!

RainingAgain
03-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Bought one of the first four G42s my dealer/range got their hands on, late January. I cleaned and lubed it, shot 50 American Eagle FMJ, WWB FMJ, PPU FMJ, Aguila HP, Gold Dots and some Remmington FMJ.

Flawless feeding, extracting but two or three brass to the face in the first box. None since. I'm up to 450 rounds.

This gun is very accurate and a joy to shoot.

Pointblank
03-19-2014, 04:45 AM
I think the main reason Glock came out with the 42 in .380 caliber was to be able to sell more pistols in countries where "military" calibers like .45 and 9mm are not legal for civilians. Other than that I can't imagine why they made it.

muggsy
03-19-2014, 05:41 AM

I beg your pardon. Old muggsy owns/uses/carries that sub-perb caliber and like him his P380 is flawless. :)

muggsy
03-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Hell, I'll take it! Half of nothing is still half!

That the spirit, ninjaturtl. You've captured the true flavor and heart of old muggsy.

SlowBurn
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I think the main reason Glock came out with the 42 in .380 caliber was to be able to sell more pistols in countries where "military" calibers like .45 and 9mm are not legal for civilians. Other than that I can't imagine why they made it.

Don't think so. I think they came out with it for the same market as LC 380 Bersa Thunder etc; purse carry.

berettabone
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Good, that leaves me out...........................;)

Pointblank
03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
My wife currently carries a Ruger LCP. It's never malfunctioned and she's pretty good with it, but I am thinking of getting her a CM9 for her birthday in May.

wyntrout
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
That "little" Glock is humongous next to a P380... or, a CM9/PM9. It's only for Glock fans who want everything Glock.

Wynn :D

jocko
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
I seen one in my dealers business. It wa snot for sale. I liked it qas far as what the gun looked like and felt but WTF. Its as bg as my PMJ9, why would I kwant a 380 that fokkin big?? Maybe jst goes to show that kahr knows how to make ultra compace semi's to. They should had made a single stack 9mm first, as they are very late to the dance with this humongeous 380. People will buy it because it is a glock. If it was a 9, I might have given it a second look, My bet the 9 will follow as the dealer said the same thing.....Still a nice handgun though, just not for ol jocko

Longitude Zero
03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
I have handled and shot one. Nice but WAY TOO BIG.

wyntrout
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I saw some at the gun show this weekend and asked about extra mags... wanting to get some to sell, but they won't be available until next month or later.

Prices were $480 to $525 or so, think. One dealer had at least three and Deadeyeluke was making a holster for a customer's. He has his own and has added FO front sight.

Magazines are in short supply for a lot of guns. I just ordered a few more mags that everyone has been asking for... Glock 10mm and G27... paying retail at Midway, but coupon covered shipping.

muggsy
03-25-2014, 04:48 PM

A .380 auto is basically a 9mm Luger with a slightly shorter case. I don't see why one should be more or less reliable that the other.

RRP
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM

This post says more about you than it says about any gun caliber.

Thanks for your contribution.

Longitude Zero
03-25-2014, 06:52 PM
This post says more about you than it says about any gun caliber.

Thanks for your contribution.

Actually it shows that I happen to know what I am talking about. Since a 380 is a cut down 9mm only an unaware individual would use it instead of a 9mm. The ballistics between the 9 and 380 are so different with quality ammo. If you happened to like the 380 so much then why not move on down the line to a 32 or a 25.

And your welcome for my erudite contribution.

knkali
03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
well I have .380 Colt mustang for the last 25ish years and that thing has been my deep concealment last ditch go to. It eats everything and has never failed even after high round counts without a cleaning. I would probably go 9 luger if I were to do it again bc SD ammo is easier to find in 9mm here. However, I tend to go with capacity over caliber. Lower capacity bigger caliber and visa versa. However, if someone is more comfortable with the 9 Kurtz and will carry it, then that is their caliber.

Barth
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Personally, I am ashamed at you..................all of those nice firearms you recovered from the flood, and you want to give your wife Tupperware for her CC firearm? You could try turning your hat sideways, and pulling your pants down a bithttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Not my wife.
I shook off both of them long ago.
Just posting first impressions from GT.
BTW my girls were both psychos.
And I would never hand either of them a handgun.