PDA

View Full Version : Bawanna's Depressed AGAIN

Bawanna
02-06-2014, 10:56 AM
My long time faithful pal and companion Odie the Wonder Dog (Beagle) just crossed the river.
Been in a bad way for the last several months. Found she was diabetic, careful diet and insulin twice a day but didn't last long.

Just a dog but kind of a kick in the gut when you get attached to em.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN4637_zps21f490cf.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN4637_zps21f490cf.jpg.html)

Guess we'll meet again on the other side.

muggsy
02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Life is a series of beagles. I've had to bury five of them. It's not an easy thing to do. Every damn one of them broke my hard heart. You can't ask for a better best friend than a beagle.

getsome
02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
My condolences boss....Yes you will see those big brown eyes again in a beautiful place where Odie will chase the ball and you will run after her....God loves all dogs and spoils um until we get there....

JohnR
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM
No, it's not just a dog. My condolences to losing a family member.

AIRret
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Wow, I just saw this post.
I'm so SORRY! I know my dogs have all been part of the family, they even went to family parties.
Putting a best friend down is one of the hardest things I've ever done….I never get over it!

I believe that a good dog touches a place in your heart that no human can reach. That's one of the reasons it hurts sooooooo much!

I'm sure you've given Odie a great life. I believe you will see him again.

berettabone
02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
My condolences...................it's never easy.

340pd
02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Sorry buddy. I have had a few of those days myself. Not easy to get through.

jocko
02-06-2014, 11:32 AM
neverowed a beagle.but had 2 labs that are across the river, two yourkies that are across theriver and many cats. that drowned tryin to corss the river. Not sure how lone I can stay on this forum colonel but u havbe my regards. Seems like every time I get off the forum i hav eto kiss 15 asses to get signed back on and I have noclue WTF is gon on but trust me it is geting very tiresome. Just sayin

knkali
02-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. They are not just dogs. They are members of the family. I feel your pain. You were a good guardian. Take solace in that.

jocko
02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
a quick story but true.

A few years back we were stranded in the Chicago Ohiaro airport due to flugit problems in Amsterdam, anyway was trying top get a pl;ane to Indy and to no avail and while arguing at the delta desk my wife was on the phone to my house sitter who was tending tomy two yorkies. One was very old and heart conjestion bad and we knew his days were limited. anyways the wife was on a bench about 20 ffeet formt he airlines desk talking to the home sitter and all of a sudden she started to cry out loud and tears running down her face instantly and she siad. ALEX DIED. I knew it was our dog but the desk attendant thought it was a member of the rfamily and she took it peronally ans she said sir I will get u on the next fligtpout in one hour would that be OK

Alex went out with flying colors as far as I was concerned. he was mans best frined indeed all the way to tyhe end. True story.

TheTman
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your pal crossing over Colonel. That's one of the times a man is allowed to cry, when a good dog passes on.

Bawanna
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I did, right here at work in front of the violets and everything, I don't think anybody saw me though. Never give in to Violets, especially these violets. They are all emotionally overwrought anyhow and would want to hug and it's like hugging a Holstein. Gross.
I miss my little pal and regret the few times I cussed her for being dumb or in my way.

knkali
02-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Its OK she loved you and she knew you loved her too. That's what is important.

SaltyNC
02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Bawanna. We adopted a rescue Jack Russell. He had papers and everything, and we got him for next to nothing. I thought he was a bargain. On the way out of the pet store, before I could get him to the car, he chewed through the new leash I had just bought. That crazy thing can rip apart anything, and he's twice plugged himself up with rubber and had to be operated on. Last time, he nearly didn't make it. He couldn't even walk without falling over. But, he recovered in time. He's cost me as much as a car, but he's been worth it. While he was in the hospital, I missed being greeted at the door with that tail a'waggin'. I missed hearing those toenails tapping across the hardwoods. I missed him barking at the coyotes and hoot owls and laying his head on my chest on the couch. It's amazing how attached we can get to a little animal like that, but we do. They really are man's best friend. They never judge us. Always happy to see us. A love like that kinda puts people to shame.

SaltyNC

Tinman507
02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Boss,

I am sorry for your loss. It never gets any easier, no matter how many times you live through it.

JohnR
02-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Jocko, I didn't take you to be a Yorkie guy, but sometimes you can never tell. 'Course, this is coming from a toy poodle guy.

GLOCKROCKER
02-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Condolences Colonel - beagles are one of my favorite breeds also.

b4uqzme
02-06-2014, 02:36 PM
We renamed one old girl: "Jaime Sommers, the six million dollar dog" after she got hit by a car. "We can rebuild her...we have the technology". She finally left us while wagging her tail. Too weak to lift her head but able to wag that tail. We now have two wonderful pups but I still miss my sweetheart.

Just my rambling way of saying that we feel your pain. God bless.

downtownv
02-06-2014, 02:50 PM
LOSING a dog is the worst!, They are always there for you and when they are moving up to God's kingdom, there's a hole they leave behind. Sorry for the loss of your companion......:(

rjt123
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Bawanna, so sorry to hear about losing your little friend. Nothing else hurts in quite that way.

Give it a little time and distance...then find another/new "best friend". The new won't replace the old, but it will add a new "brand" of happiness to your home.

<Man-hug...in a non-Mano-a-Mano way, of course>

Bob T
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Man...That sucks...Been there a few times and it always sucks...

Take care....

T0RMENT
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I had to put my dog down about a year ago...one of the hardest things I've done. I think of him all the time and miss him a lot. Time helps dull the sharpness of the pain, but it's always there.

Hope time helps you.

Barth
02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
In a previous life, when I was married with kids, we had a doberman named Nikki.
She was the same age as my son Kris.
At their first Xmas Nikki refused her chew toy gift - until it was wrapped LOL!

Extremely bright, she didn't understand why she couldn't talk like the other kids.
Never trained with any commands.
You could just talk to her and she understood.
She lived to 13.
And was always there with all three of my kids from their earliest memories.
When she passed my two daughters wept.

She was truly a member of our family.
As I'm sure your dog was too.

RevRay
02-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I don't cry a lot, but one time I did was when I had to put our family dog down about 14 years ago. She was so sick she couldn't stand up any more, so it had to be done. I know only you can feel what you're feeling right now, but please know many others of us who truly do feel your pain.

TheTman
02-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I cried like a baby when I ran over one of my little buddies, he was outside and happy to see me driving up the driveway, and somehow got caught under the tire and I ran over him. He was still alive when we took him to the vet, but I couldn't afford to fix him. So I had him put down. Guilt and grief just hit me like a punch in the gut. Toughest thing it was one of Dad's dogs that I took in after Dad passed.

pappy42
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Sorry B-Man. The passage of time heals all.

yqtszhj
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear about that. That was one cute dog.

We've got a Lab/Husky mix that is as sweet as she can be. She's 12 now and moving a lot slower. I know her time is coming one day and it's going to affect the household bad.

CJB
02-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I am firrmly convinced that God had us in mind when He created dogs, and cats, and the concept of pets.

1. For children, they serve to illustrate a life lessons about love and loss, on a level that they can deal with - with the help of their family.

2. For those past childhood, they serve as a living illustration of God's love for us, for as we care for and nurture (and ultimate tolerate) our pets, so also does He do the same with us.

3. And, most of all, it is one more illustration that reminds us that only God is god, and we are just us, not God.

Sorry for ya loss bro.

Shadetree
02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend and companion. Best wishes ol' buddy

Jeremiah/Az
02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I have found, that gettin' a new puppy helps. It won't replace her, but it helps heal that big ol' hole in your heart.

jocko
02-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear of your lose. I have found, that gettin' a new puppy helps. It won't replace her, but it helps heal that big ol' hole in your heart.

great for me in my second wife. Just sayin

BEARDOG
02-06-2014, 06:42 PM
So very sorry for your loss Joe...I know how bad it feels to lose a faithful, loving friend. Dogs are the best.

WMac19
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Never just a dog, so very sorry for your loss. And so many of us understand your heartache.

Like so many others, I can distinctly remember intricate details about each dog I've owned dating back to childhood.

I'm lucky to have a great wife, son and daughter, so no, I've never loved a dog as much as I love them. But I've always regarded them as family and loved 'em plenty. Through friendship, protection, playfulness, a gentle nudge, wagging tail or an eager lick, they're forever showing how much they care.

I know you said, "just a dog" but I also know your don't mean that. Believe me, I've said the same to divert attention from my grief. With that I say, RIP to your fine friend and my condolences.

b4uqzme
02-06-2014, 07:12 PM
great for me in my second wife. Just sayin

Mrs b4uqzme saw how quickly I warmed up to our new "replacement" pups and I think she straightened up a little. But just a little.

P.s. Colonel, We have found two new rescue pups who make us very happy. They help make the memories of the others who've passed easier. I hope you find comfort soon.

phil413tx
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Hopefully Odie is playing with my dog Nugget now! They are in the big park in the sky. I know Odie will be missed and I am so sorry for the loss. It is amazing how we get so attached to this little furry guys that can't talk!

cigarrodog
02-06-2014, 09:39 PM
My deepest sympathies for your loss. We all know what it's like to lose such a dear sweet creature who definitely becomes a close member of the family.

bob98366
02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Colonel, very sorry for your loss.

PattayaPistol
02-06-2014, 10:45 PM
So sorry to read about your loss Bawanna. They are truly part of the family and their loss hurts so much. Remember the fun times and know she knew she was loved.

DeaconKC
02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Sorry for losing Odie, any long time pet is family.

johnh
02-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I quit having pets because it was too hard to bury them. I am very, very sorry for your loss. I swore I would not get attached to another one, but my wife and kids had to get this Schnauzer we have and damned if she hasn't grown on me. Some animals are just family.

MW surveyor
02-07-2014, 07:34 AM
johnh - I've been after the wife to get another dog for the last few years. She is against it for the same reasons. Too hard to experience the loss.

Joe - sorry for your loss. And the heck to the Violets. (but then again, they may cut you some slack)

Bawanna
02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I quit having pets because it was too hard to bury them. I am very, very sorry for your loss. I swore I would not get attached to another one, but my wife and kids had to get this Schnauzer we have and damned if she hasn't grown on me. Some animals are just family.

I feel precisely the same way about not having them. Ironically some friends we meet each summer over fishing have a Mini Schnauzer, he's my buddy, great little dog, I'd love to have one. But even the friend says he's a rare one and doesn't plan to try another. Want's to go out with a good one.

You think it's tough to deal with the loss of a good dog, anyone that has horses knows what I'm talking about. I've buried 3 of those. Wife and daughter nearly need counselling. I sure don't want any more of those.
Wife won't even ride hers since she fell off and broke her pelvis, blaming the horse. Any horse no matter how good can throw ya.

berettabone
02-07-2014, 09:16 AM
My wife and I had to put down our beloved lab Rascal a few years back. My wife still isn't over it. We haven't replaced him with another dog yet, but slowly, we are starting to talk about it again. I know, someday we will have another dog. Just can't stay away from them.

WMac19
02-07-2014, 10:16 AM
My wife and I had to put down our beloved lab Rascal a few years back. My wife still isn't over it. We haven't replaced him with another dog yet, but slowly, we are starting to talk about it again. I know, someday we will have another dog. Just can't stay away from them.

When we lost our White Shepherd, Shelby, in '01, it took us 5 years until we were able to welcome a new pup into our home. Longest stretch by far in my life.
Now we have 3. Can't say I'll never experience another stretch like that but I can say that my guys have proved to me that we all have plenty of love to go 'round.

Armybrat
02-07-2014, 11:13 AM
My condolences on on your loss.

I dread reading threads like this because they bring back very sad memories of all my dogs - Wimpy, Wimpy Jr., Puddles, Muffin, Bartles, Squirt, and even Jeep The Cat. I too cried like a baby when they all went to Dawggie Heaven (and Jeep, wherever felines wind up).

We won't be gettin' another pooch, as it is just too painful to lose them.

jocko
02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
I feel precisely the same way about not having them. Ironically some friends we meet each summer over fishing have a Mini Schnauzer, he's my buddy, great little dog, I'd love to have one. But even the friend says he's a rare one and doesn't plan to try another. Want's to go out with a good one.

You think it's tough to deal with the loss of a good dog, anyone that has horses knows what I'm talking about. I've buried 3 of those. Wife and daughter nearly need counselling. I sure don't want any more of those.
Wife won't even ride hers since she fell off and broke her pelvis, blaming the horse. Any horse no matter how good can throw ya.

but your wife would not have fallen off that horse either had u not put a burr under the saddle. I read the book on Bawanna, and truse me members it isnot good:eek:

olympicmotorcars
02-07-2014, 04:11 PM
"We give dogs what time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare, and in return they give us their unreserved all. It is by far the best deal mankind has ever made."

unknown author

jocko
02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Mans best friend: lock ur wife and dog in the trunk of the car for an hour and see which one is glad to see u when u open the lid!!! Just sayin.

I always felt there were no mean dogs, only mean owners.:Amflag2:

pinehtr
02-07-2014, 06:03 PM
I have two .Great companion. Sorry for your loss.

Buzzard45
02-08-2014, 04:23 AM
:( so sorry to hear of your loss colonel, i feel your pain, having lost several friends over the years, peppy, skeeter, tessla, raison,.......
i like dogs and cats, does that make me bi____?:o

Planedude
02-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Sorry for your loss Bawanna, few thing hurt so much as the loss of a pet. I look at my old Jack Russell Roxy with some trepidation. At 14 she is on borrowed time and I worry for her every day.

The other day it was sunny an 70 in the backyard. Roxy had laid out in the nice sunshine and was completely still. I called to her from the back door many times and she did not stir or twitch. With my heart in my throat I walked out to her calling out loudly each step. As I tried to kneel down to her, almost in tears when finally she awoke with a start and was looking up at me with a look of "ummmm, what's up doc"...

Dang dogs, getting into your soul. May God Bless um and know Bawanna that we all know your pain.

kahrseye
02-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog Bawanna. I know how deep those feelings for a pet can go.

Alfonse
02-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry boss.

LT Drebin
02-09-2014, 06:26 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I can only encourage you to take comfort, small as it might be, in the fact that Odie is no longer suffering.