PDA

View Full Version : Took My New XD c 45 to the range

O'Dell
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
The accuracy is good, but not as good as the M&P c 45. I definitely had more flyers [6 or 7], because the trigger is slightly lighter than the M&P or my PM45 for that matter, and it would fire before I was set up. That said, I pretty well shot out the 9 and 10 rings [1 inch each] at 25 feet. I'm not a great shot so that's about average for me.

What was disturbing was that I had two FTFeeds out of 150 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of GS's. I thought that XD's were suppose to be bulletproof. Both occurred when the HP jammed on the bottom of the ramp, and both loaded when I reracked the slide. I have 7 other active pistols, four 9's and three 45's, and this is the only one that has ever failed in any way. I may keep it, but I want to know why I'm having a reliability issue.

cgo99
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I own an XDm 9mm and I had two failures to feed on my first trip to the range (on 250 rounds), but no issues after that. I've placed a couple thousand rounds thru it with no problems.
I think that my case was some sort of "break in" for the gun, hopefully that is what you are experiencing.

Bawanna
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
The accuracy is good, but not as good as the M&P c 45. I definitely had more flyers [6 or 7], because the trigger is slightly lighter than the M&P or my PM45 for that matter, and it would fire before I was set up. That said, I pretty well shot out the 9 and 10 rings [1 inch each] at 25 feet. I'm not a great shot so that's about average for me.

What was disturbing was that I had two FTFeeds out of 150 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of GS's. I thought that XD's were suppose to be bulletproof. Both occurred when the HP jammed on the bottom of the ramp, and both loaded when I reracked the slide. I have 7 other active pistols, four 9's and three 45's, and this is the only one that has ever failed in any way. I may keep it, but I want to know why I'm having a reliability issue.

I think it's a conspiracy by the other 7 active pistols. They are jealous and need more love. Don't want another step brother or sister they have to fight for attention with.
I suspect CGO is correct though, probably just a break in glitch and you'll be trouble free from here on out. My son has 2 XD45's and neither have ever given us the slightest grief. If that M&Pc 45 compact is taking up too much room in your toy box be sure to let me know first. OK?

O'Dell
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I think it's a conspiracy by the other 7 active pistols. They are jealous and need more love. Don't want another step brother or sister they have to fight for attention with.
I suspect CGO is correct though, probably just a break in glitch and you'll be trouble free from here on out. My son has 2 XD45's and neither have ever given us the slightest grief. If that M&Pc 45 compact is taking up too much room in your toy box be sure to let me know first. OK?

You're lucky your son has XD's. I hate to admit it, but I raised a Glock fanatic. Not only that, but he's a police chief, and has forced his addiction to G21's on everyone else in the Dept. Why couldn't he be hooked on alcohol or something like all the other kids? I don't know where I went wrong. I'm so ashamed.

Bawanna
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
You're lucky your son has XD's. I hate to admit it, but I raised a Glock fanatic. Not only that, but he's a police chief, and has forced his addiction to G21's on everyone else in the Dept. Why couldn't he be hooked on alcohol or something like all the other kids? I don't know where I went wrong. I'm so ashamed.

Your not alone my friend, my department carry's G21's as well. As armorer I have to look at them every day. Other than a big zero on the asthetic scale, they run, everyone makes holsters for them, parts when rarely needed are available. For a cop gun I think they are pretty fine. For everyone else, I'll take the M&P. It was in the running along with the XD's, the guns were very competitive, our county agency just switched to M&P's. It was holsters and accessories that killed it for us.
As for sons, mine just bought a "F" word pickup truck, and you wonder where you went wrong. I'm requesting DNA samples.

O'Dell
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Your not alone my friend, my department carry's G21's as well. As armorer I have to look at them every day. Other than a big zero on the asthetic scale, they run, everyone makes holsters for them, parts when rarely needed are available. For a cop gun I think they are pretty fine. For everyone else, I'll take the M&P. It was in the running along with the XD's, the guns were very competitive, our county agency just switched to M&P's. It was holsters and accessories that killed it for us.
As for sons, mine just bought a "F" word pickup truck, and you wonder where you went wrong. I'm requesting DNA samples.

Until he totaled it last month, my son had a 04 Corvette. Now he's talking about a Mazdaspeed 3. I can live with that. It seems that the only area in which he is "bent" is the G thing.

recoilguy
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Both of my sons have Ruger SR9's One of them just put a Ghost trigger in it and OH my it is a sweet shooting weapon now. One went Balck and silver one went Black and green. Truth is they have them because I have SR's and they got very used to shooting them. They were very fimiliar with them.

I find the best way to keep my pistols from getting jealous of each other is I take them out and watch Hockey with them. The CZ brother 75B and P-01 were very dissappointed in the Red Wings in the Playoffs.

RCG

I apologize for adding absolutely no value to this thread.

jlottmc
05-26-2010, 12:56 PM
And how bout them Star's???? I too carry different guns depending on my mood. I'm waiting for Ruger to make the SR9 in 40 and the SR9c in that caliber as well. Yes, I'm a hockey fan too, and yes my Star's were stolen from you.

recoilguy
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
The day they left town is the day I became Red Wing fan. Man I cried when the Stars won the cup.....in Texas. I had season Tix for the stars with my dad fo 5 years.

RCG

O'Dell
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Although, I never owned a Ruger, those SR9's look pretty good, especially the compact. If I was in the market for a 9mm, I would definitely look at one.

UGH, green guns! I can say that because my new XD is green and stainless, but I can explain. The slide on the black XD is parkerized and doesn't wear well so I wanted SS. The only compact XD 45, I could find with a SS slide was green.

Speaking of the XD, I feel a bit better about it today. I went back to the range today and fired 75 rounds of GS's and 25 rounds of GD's w/o a hiccup. Maybe it was a break in issue, but my other guns broke in without glitches.

Bawanna
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Although, I never owned a Ruger, those SR9's look pretty good, especially the compact. If I was in the market for a 9mm, I would definitely look at one.

UGH, green guns! I can say that because my new XD is green and stainless, but I can explain. The slide on the black XD is parkerized and doesn't wear well so I wanted SS. The only compact XD 45, I could find with a SS slide was green.

Speaking of the XD, I feel a bit better about it today. I went back to the range today and fired 75 rounds of GS's and 25 rounds of GD's w/o a hiccup. Maybe it was a break in issue, but my other guns broke in without glitches.

Funny how different folks have different taste. I have no use for green guns, just don't seem natural to me. (I'm still adjusting to tupperware, I own a few but still don't seem natural either). I tend to favor duo tone, stainless and black or all stainless. My son favors all black, doesn't like flashy but he don't like green either. Para Ordnance seems to be on a green kick, all the perfect size carry guns are green with no other options and it's green over carbon steel. Doesn't hold up well at all and to me not pretty to begin with. I've told them so but apparently they don't agree with me. I have 2 stainless and one all blued.
Glad your XD is running, sure it was just a break in glitch. Sorry it has to be green, there's always Robar or a few other places if it gets intolerable.

O'Dell
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Funny how different folks have different taste. I have no use for green guns, just don't seem natural to me. (I'm still adjusting to tupperware, I own a few but still don't seem natural either). I tend to favor duo tone, stainless and black or all stainless. My son favors all black, doesn't like flashy but he don't like green either. Para Ordnance seems to be on a green kick, all the perfect size carry guns are green with no other options and it's green over carbon steel. Doesn't hold up well at all and to me not pretty to begin with. I've told them so but apparently they don't agree with me. I have 2 stainless and one all blued.
Glad your XD is running, sure it was just a break in glitch. Sorry it has to be green, there's always Robar or a few other places if it gets intolerable.

Nor do I, but as I said there was no choice. Of my eight guns only two are black, a 30 year old SIG and the M&P. The rest are black and SS, except for the, uh, green and SS XD. Robar, huh - wonder how it would look in hot pink and stainless???

jocko
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Para refinish my peeling Carry 9 for me in OD green. THE WORST DAMN MISTAKE I EVER MADE. It peeled, chipped while sitting there, let along using it. Most horrible looking semi I ahve ever owned. I do think Para's finish on thier allow frames leaves alot to be desired. I sure did love the LDA trigger on my Carry 9,just a same the gun would not perform reliabily.

Bawanna
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Para refinish my peeling Carry 9 for me in OD green. THE WORST DAMN MISTAKE I EVER MADE. It peeled, chipped while sitting there, let along using it. Most horrible looking semi I ahve ever owned. I do think Para's finish on thier allow frames leaves alot to be desired. I sure did love the LDA trigger on my Carry 9,just a same the gun would not perform reliabily.

One of the guys here bought one of the green ones, it all was coming off. They didn't want to refinish it, suggested sending it to Robar! Go figure.
Some of the green guns hold up just fine, for some reason Para's don't seem too. I also love the LDA trigger and I've had no trouble with the 3 I have. My chief carries one a stainless CCW, had a few issues early on but it's working fine now.

Bawanna
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Nor do I, but as I said there was no choice. Of my eight guns only two are black, a 30 year old SIG and the M&P. The rest are black and SS, except for the, uh, green and SS XD. Robar, huh - wonder how it would look in hot pink and stainless???

Strange as it seems and I just know I'm gonna be moved to a special category for this but I think hot pink and stainless would be HOT!
I'm good with Black on guns, tires, rear sights. Not so much for heads of state and such.
I know, I know. I'm going down for this. The dude with the horns and the pitchfork just got my name faxed down as a future addition.

Bawanna
05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Just a note regarding the XD. My son ordered a set of Heinie Straight 8 night sights and wanted me to hang them on his XD45 Tactical which I tackled last night. Thought ok, piece of cake. Wrong. I thought Kahr sights were pushed in tight. AFter beating on his front sight for 1/2 an hour with no trace of movement, tossing several brass punches and using steel I ended up cutting that front sight in half to get it out. The rear sight was much more cooperative and with some minor fitting the new sights went in just fine and look good.
Not my first choice for aging eyes but they aren't bad either. I certainly don't offer this as a bad report on XDs I think they are great guns but if your planning on swapping the sights out during your morning coffee break you might want to rethink that game plan.

jlottmc
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Did you look for a set screw. I think I remember hearing some where that XD's also have a spring under the rear sight. I could be wrong, but then again that's TYMB. My Taurus has the straight eights, and after I painted them green (the dots) I love them.

wyntrout
05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Were you trying to get them out the CORRECT side... those dovetails can be smaller on one side, or "one-way".
Wynn:D

Bawanna
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah they are dovetailed wider on one side than the other. The instructions indicated to drive them out right to left. I thought they were lying so I threw a caliper on them but they didn't lie. I did look for a set screw but found none. There is a hole that the front sight covers that I can't explain. No reason for it, doesn't do anything that I can tell. The rear sight is very basic, a little bigger target for the punch and hammer which helps. XD even put witness marks front and back so you know for sure if you have the sight centered which I thought was pretty cool.

That mission is accomplished. He has another XD compact but no talk of swapping sights on that one YET!

jlottmc
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
My Llama does that with the rear. The front is milled into the slide. Glad you finally got it though.

O'Dell
05-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Just a note regarding the XD. My son ordered a set of Heinie Straight 8 night sights and wanted me to hang them on his XD45 Tactical which I tackled last night. Thought ok, piece of cake. Wrong. I thought Kahr sights were pushed in tight. AFter beating on his front sight for 1/2 an hour with no trace of movement, tossing several brass punches and using steel I ended up cutting that front sight in half to get it out. The rear sight was much more cooperative and with some minor fitting the new sights went in just fine and look good.
Not my first choice for aging eyes but they aren't bad either. I certainly don't offer this as a bad report on XDs I think they are great guns but if your planning on swapping the sights out during your morning coffee break you might want to rethink that game plan.

Fortunately my XD sights and my M&P sights were dead on out of the box. I have no plans for nite sights, so I'm good.

Thinking about it though, S&W has a new line of guns called SD. They slot between the Sigma and M&P lines , and come standard with a front only night sight. Being a front sight shooter, I think that's a great idea to cut down the cost. I can imagine being in an alley between two tall buildings, both of which are coal fired power plants on a moonless night - that front night sight sounds pretty good.