PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Carry of CM9 or PM9

RedRyder
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Haven't been on this site for awhile but have a question some of you I know can answer. As I have gotten a little older, I find I am not carrying OWB my P9 the way I used to but am relying on my Ruger LCP in pocket holster. I tried the LC9 in pocket but just seemed to heavy and bulky for my taste. I would like to find a pocket 9mm that feels good and is not too heavy. I looked at the Keltec and the Diamondback but didn't feel solid to me.

How comfortable is the CM9 or PM9 to pocket carry is my real question here? I would probably use a Desantis pocket holster.

Thanks for any good suggestions here.

:amflag:

Bill K
02-08-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not a big guy, 5'10" and 165, and find my PM9 very comfortable to carry. My PM9 with a Kydex holster is as thin (maybe a tad thinner) than my P3At with a DeSantis Nemisis holster. I do have a few pair of pants that because of particular small pockets or pants material contributing to printing that make it better to pocket carry my .380 or IWB my .45. My PM9 gets far away the most carry and most of that is front pocket carry.

RRP
02-08-2014, 02:44 PM
I tried the LC9 in pocket but just seemed to heavy and bulky for my taste.
How comfortable is the CM9 or PM9 to pocket carry is my real question here?

The PM9/CM9 is not appreciably smaller than the LC9. In this video, Hickok45 compares the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Av9COfLB_Y

WMac19
02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm 5' 9" 200 lbs but fairly lean, so I hate baggy pants which make me look plump.. Don't like em tight either but do opt for a slimmer fit. Therefore, no pocket carrying the PM9 for me unless wearing my golf slacks or shorts.
100% dependent upon size and dress.

12GA
02-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I've been pocket carrying my PM9 in a High Noon "Pockrt Grabber" for many years and find it fairly well disappears in anything except dress slacks and can be comfortably carried on even the warmest days. Cargo shorts in the summer time and jeans in the Spring, Fall & Winter easily accomodate the size and weight of the PM9.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/12Gauge/20140208_165423_zpsc11039d0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/12Gauge/20140208_165605_zpsaf247f15.jpg

root
02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm 6'2", about 200 lbs. My pants aren't tight, but they're not ultra baggy. Anytime I pocket carry I just got a weird lookin' bulge in my pants. No ma'am, I'm not happy to see you.

I do it around the house, but that's about it.

I'm sure if I tried different pants it may be better, it's not the gun's fault.

RedRyder
02-08-2014, 03:51 PM
One thing that may be affecting my decision is my LC0 has a laser on it which adds 2-3 oz of weight so the CM9 by itself may be my better choice.

RRP
02-08-2014, 04:48 PM
One thing that may be affecting my decision is my LC0 has a laser on it which adds 2-3 oz of weight so the CM9 by itself may be my better choice.

It's easy to rationalize a gun purchase, regardless what the gun is. I think you talked yourself into a Kahr. Not a bad choice.

DavidR
02-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I just picked up a CM9 - rationalized it as possibly being good for occasional pocket carry. If it performs well at the range this week I'll pick up a slim kydex pocket holster and try to pocket carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

number1olddog
02-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I can pocket carry my PM9 in my summertime cargo shorts but can't really do it in any of my regular pants as it bulges a little too much for what I like. I have two pairs of cargo shorts that have deep pockets and you can't tell really at all. I usually use my Bianchi IWB holster in winter time and Galco leather pocket holster for summertime.

kwh
02-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Have used a CM9 in a DeSantis pocket holster EDC for past 2 years. I work on my feet most of the day and wear casual dress (Cotton- Cotton-poly) pants, fits in the pockets fine . I am 5' 8" 148 lbs. Carry is comfortable does not print to a recognizable degree. It is a natural reaction, and a non threatening motion to casually walk or stand with hands in pocket. It is difficult for me to reach around to 4-5 o'clock carry and if coat is zipped would slow draw anyway. I have IWB OWB, shoulder, pouch, and belly band holsters and I always seem to come back to a CM9 in the pocket. Easy, quick, comfortable , concealable I have a good belt. Sitting with seat belt on in a car presents a difficulty with draw. I prefer to carry my CM9 over my new CW380 because the CW380 is too small. CM9 is perfect for pocket carry unless tight jeans or wool dress pants, then the .380 might be better to conceal.

muggsy
02-08-2014, 06:32 PM
The only way that I can pocket carry my CM9 is in a jacket pocket, but my P380 is in my RF pants pocket all of the time.

berettabone
02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I pocket carry an MK9, so I would think the CM or PM would be a breeze..............I don't really care if I print.

walkbyfaith
02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
While the CM/PM is a very valid pocket carry gun, you should also consider the Sig p938. Its a bit smaller than the CM9. Very quality weapon and 1911 format if you are into those. I personally don't pocket carry, but just thought I would mention another quality micro 9mm.

Schriscoe
02-08-2014, 07:32 PM
While the CM/PM is a very valid pocket carry gun, you should also consider the Sig p938. Its a bit smaller than the CM9. Very quality weapon and 1911 format if you are into those. I personally don't pocket carry, but just thought I would mention another quality micro 9mm.

Not thinking a cocked/locked gun would be ideal,for pocket carry. Just sayin.

walkbyfaith
02-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Its whatever you are comfortable with. My buddy pocket carries his p938. Thats why there is a holster that covers everything as intended. Whatever your comfortable with.

timmy
02-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Just got this kydex pocket holster off of ebay for $22 shipped and like it i carry my cm9 in the pocket about 75% of the time

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/akspraya/20140206_191646_zps15206221.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/akspraya/20140206_191501_zps7af49cf7.jpg

timmy
02-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I was pocket carrying with a blackhawk #3 it was ok a little thick like carring a small pillow in my pocket the kydex holster i posted above is thinner and it breaks the outline of the pistol up better then the blackhawk IMO

BigDinFL
02-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Mine is in a Desantis. Since I wear cargo shorts most of the year, this arrangement works well for me.

Bang_button
02-10-2014, 12:08 PM
I just picked up a CM9 - rationalized it as possibly being good for occasional pocket carry. If it performs well at the range this week I'll pick up a slim kydex pocket holster and try to pocket carry.

Be sure to prep the gun correctly. There's a sticky on this topic.

If you don't prep it, you may find that you have some issues feeding and functioning properly. Definitely worth your time to prep it correctly.

DavidR
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks. I gave it a good cleaning and lubing and racked the slide 500 times manually. New in the box the gun was very wet and greasy and a little dirty.

codegeek
02-10-2014, 01:10 PM
You guys got me curious about pocket carrying the CM9 in my jeans. I bought a Desantis Pocket-Tuk, primarily to carry in the pocket of my cargo pants. The Desantis barely fits into my jeans pocket, but once it does, it pretty much disappears. Huh. Proves the old adage, don't knock it till you try it :-) I've become quite the fan of appendix carry. The Pocket-Tuck will allow me to carry the CM9 during the summer either in the pocket or inside the waistband.

gmcjetpilot
02-13-2014, 06:19 PM
The PM9/CM9 is not appreciably smaller than the LC9. In this video, Hickok45 compares the two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Av9COfLB_Y

I have owned both and the LC9 is a longer taller gun by a good bit. Numbers don't lie.

Height: CM9 4.0" >> Ruger LC9 4.50"
Length CM9 5.42" >> Ruger LC9 6.00"
Width CM9 0.90" >> Ruger LC9 0.90
Weight CM9 15.9 Oz >> Ruger LC9 17.6 Oz

In every way the Ruger is bigger, not a pocket gun.
The CM9 can go in the pocket. The LC9 is too long and tall to pocket.
Half inch taller and 0.6" inch longer is significant in real world conceal.

In fact compare the Ruger LC9 to my Glock 26, the G26 is shorter by .33" inch and only 0.41" longer. The G26 is no pocket gun, but it is a fantastic gun.

Height: G26 4.17" >> Ruger LC9 4.50"
Length G26 6.41" >> Ruger LC9 6.00"
Width G26 1.18" >> Ruger LC9 0.90
Weight G26 21.7 Oz >> Ruger LC9 17.6 Oz

SaltyNC
02-13-2014, 07:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/12Gauge/20140208_165423_zpsc11039d0.jpg

I kinda like the looks of that Pocket Grabber. It looks like a Remora with a leather hook. Interesting. I like the Remora, but can't get it to stay in my pocket when I draw. Must wear my pants too loose. ;) Desantis was too bulky for me--looked like I had Gone with the Wind in my front pocket. I have a PJ pocket holster on order to give that a try. But this might work, too.

SaltyNC

12GA
02-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I kinda like the looks of that Pocket Grabber. It looks like a Remora with a leather hook. Interesting. I like the Remora, but can't get it to stay in my pocket when I draw. Must wear my pants too loose. ;) Desantis was too bulky for me--looked like I had Gone with the Wind in my front pocket. I have a PJ pocket holster on order to give that a try. But this might work, too.

SaltyNC

Yeah, the extruded rubber on it's outside is very effective with regard to retention of the holster. I really have to work to get the damn thing out of my pocket in some of the slacks I wear.

Bushmaster1911
02-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I've been pocket carrying my little CM9 now for about a year. I also bought a little .380 but decided I didn't need smaller than the CM and sold it. I have some jeans it doesn't work out well in but it's the perfect summer carry here in TX in all my cargo shorts that are my usual attire. I also have some relaxed fit jeans that work well and all my khakis like the 5.11s work.

I picked up a couple of different pocket holsters. When I got the Galco Pocket Protector, I wad good to go. It's affordable and a great holster. Right now I have a big ol' Sig P229 strapped on because it's winter and I can. As soon as south TX gets back to normal, the little Kahr will be back in my pocket.

oppi27
02-15-2014, 01:53 PM
I pocket carry my CM9 in a sticky holster. Jeans, shorts it just works for me

Tpsfoto
02-15-2014, 11:15 PM
I pocket carry my cm9 in a slim kydex holster, no issues at all.

rjt123
02-15-2014, 11:59 PM
As soon as south TX gets back to normal, the little Kahr will be back in my pocket.

Whereabouts in south Texas? I'm down in Corpus Christi.

JayXSP
02-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Just got this kydex pocket holster off of ebay for $22 shipped and like it i carry my cm9 in the pocket about 75% of the time

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/akspraya/20140206_191646_zps15206221.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/akspraya/20140206_191501_zps7af49cf7.jpg

Do you have a link? That's awesome

godan
02-19-2014, 03:17 AM
My CM9 was purchased about a year ago with pocket carry in mind, but I found it was just too heavy and bulky. Much depends on an individual's size, clothing, etc. I'm a lean 145 lbs at 5'7", and I wear towards the upper end of business casual - pressed chinos, wool slacks or cords, shined shoes, crew neck sweaters, etc. The thread encouraged me to try again yesterday, and even in heavy cords, the CM9 was just too heavy and bulky in a slim pocket holster. Fortunately, I make my own holsters, so I can put a CM9 or larger gun behind my right hip at at a height and angle to disappear under winter clothing. In the summer, a minimalist tuckable holster will usually work under a pressed shirt. Otherwise, something larger goes into a briefcase. I envy those who can pocket carry and, for that matter, dress more casually.

muggsy
02-19-2014, 06:02 AM
There's something about printing just a little that says don't **** with me. I kinda like that look. :)

FCastle88
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
The P938 is actually half an inch longer and 2 oz heavier than the CM9.

timmy
02-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Do you have a link? That's awesome

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jbowe12/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

If the link does not work search seller username jbowe12

jbscw9
02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
There is one posted on ebay now. You can search for Kahr PM9 pocket holster to find it.

DavidR
02-22-2014, 06:37 AM
My CM9 was purchased about a year ago with pocket carry in mind, but I found it was just too heavy and bulky. Much depends on an individual's size, clothing, etc. I'm a lean 145 lbs at 5'7", and I wear towards the upper end of business casual - pressed chinos, wool slacks or cords, shined shoes, crew neck sweaters, etc. The thread encouraged me to try again yesterday, and even in heavy cords, the CM9 was just too heavy and bulky in a slim pocket holster. Fortunately, I make my own holsters, so I can put a CM9 or larger gun behind my right hip at at a height and angle to disappear under winter clothing. In the summer, a minimalist tuckable holster will usually work under a pressed shirt. Otherwise, something larger goes into a briefcase. I envy those who can pocket carry and, for that matter, dress more casually.

I'm similar in size, 5' 8" (on a good day) and 160 lbs and I don't wear baggy clothes. Been working towards pocket carry of my CM9 so I picked up a Desantis Fly with the detachable flap. Fits decently without the flap but in my opinion it prints way too much. With the flap it's definitely bulky and if you look at me you can see I have something in my pocket but it looks like a large square wallet or maybe some of big phone or reader; no gun print at all.

berettabone
02-22-2014, 07:57 AM
There's something about printing just a little that says don't **** with me. I kinda like that look. :)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 1http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

feedramp
02-22-2014, 10:39 AM
To me, the CM9 is just a little too large for the everyday pocket carry, unless you can wear cargo shorts year round.

I have this holster from N82 Tactical which is form fitting to the body, and very comfortable for extended carry time.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/jeffdavis_photos/vl7Eexe.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/jeffdavis_photos/media/vl7Eexe.jpg.html)

kwh
02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Pleated or non-pleated pants? It makes a comfort difference along with a good dedicated belt. I have the opposite problem. For me IWB prints more and is less comfortable than my pocket carry CM9

Rubb
02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
People have been pocket carrying the bigger J-frames for decades.
Anyone ever notice it? Anyone spend a lot of time looking at that area?

The only people I've made have been IWB.....

gmcjetpilot
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM
To me, the CM9 is just a little too large for the everyday pocket carry, unless
you can wear cargo shorts year round.I agree but it depends on the POCKET and holster. Wearing baggy Jeans, it
is OK. My CM9 prints w/ DeSantis Nemesis when seated, but then I'm
sitting at a table like at a restaurant booth, which hides it. However I

was sitting at a coffee shop with high bar stools and high small round
tables at another place. I was a little self conscience. No one knew but
me. I don't like to pocket carry because it is hard to access, especially
when seated. However I like the option and the CM9 gives me, even
though it is on the big side for pocket carry. It is no mouse gun but it is a
full 9mm that shoots +P HP self defenses ammo. Most of my carry is on
my right hip pancake holster.

There's something about printing just a little that says don't **** with me. I kinda like that look. :)Be careful and know you states laws. Anything akin to "brandishing" can
make you a felon. If you "make it known" you have a gun, it can be a bad
thing. There are legal case histories here, trust me. Some states I believe
have laws that make "printing" a violation of the law. My state requires a
permit to open or conceal carry, and the permit is just called "handgun
carry permit", not conceal carry. For states with laws about "printing" you
can at minimum be in violation, for breach of peace, a misdemeanor that
can result in the loss or suspension of your CCW permit. At worst it can
make you a felon if you intimidate someone with your gun "printing". IT
HAS HAPPENED. A guy at a movie got into an argument about cutting in
the ticket line. The guy with the gun in his pocket made it known he
had a gun without drawing it.. He was arrested, felon, doing time in the
big house.

There is no tactical advantage in openly displaying most of the time.
There might be a time you have to or want to open carry, but the time
and place for open carry is not bopping around the Grocery Store, Wal-
Mart, Mall or a restaurant.

It reminds me of idiots on YouTube. They bait cops or make general public
concerned by displaying their gun needlessly, to get a video of them
whining, "IT'S MY RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY", to post on YouTube. That
pisses me off. Yea I see some punk in shorts, ironic T-shirt roller blading
around my house with a gun displayed, his right or not, I'll call the cops.

rjt123
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I agree but it depends on the POCKET and holster. Wearing baggy Jeans, it
is OK. It prints a bit with DeSantis Nemesis, but other holsters would hid it better.

It does, indeed, depend on several factors. I sometimes pocket carry my PM45, and I know that others here do too.

We had a "Dog & Pony Show" at work today...some folks from our Corporate office down for a visit. Had to wear Dockers today instead of my usual jeans. So today was pocket carry day, and I took the PM45 with me. Love that gun!