PDA

View Full Version : cw9 sight question and grips

borg18
02-10-2014, 12:58 PM
hi all, my first time posting so please bear with me..i have a cw9 purchased a couple of monthes ago new. well, ive been to the range a few times and seem to have it shooting all over. im not a pro by no means, but i can keep a decent group with other guns i own (40s&w and a 357 revolver). i was told by kahr that the sights are set to a 6 oclock hold at 7 yards, but no matter where i try to hold , i can never get the bullet to go near my point of aim. any ideas? im pretty sure its something i must be doing...but not sure what.
Also, the grip i noticed was very abrasive...i work for toyota and my hands are pretty rough so i was pretty shocked with my palm and how red it was..lol...i ordered a set of rubber talon grips, are these the grip of choice? do they have any issues with pealing once applied?

muggsy
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
The red hands are a great clue. When you are caught red handed it means that the gun is moving around in your hands. Try to get a better grip. Kahr pistols have combat sights. The dot should sit just over the bar and the dot should cover your intended point of impact. Target sight use a six o'clock hold. It takes time to get use to the long double action revolver like trigger pull. There are a lot of good instructional how to shoot videos on You Tube. Try watching a few before your next range trip.

addictedhealer
02-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I use talon rubber grips and love them. Carry everyday all day and have yet to peel.

Use a tight thumbs forward grip. One thing that might help is and this helped a friend of mine on his kahr. Paint with a marker the front dot black. Sometimes it can distract the eye. I swapped my sights out for a 3 dot tritium because I just couldn't get use the that style of sight.

Keep shooting, sometimes a long trigger takes a little extra working getting proficient.

bob98366
02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not an instructor. However, having both a S&W and Kahr, I found you need to adjust your trigger press based on which pistol you're shooting. S&W has a definite break, but the Kahr does not. Trying to anticipate when the Kahr will fire always gives me poor groups. If I just smoothly and evenly press the trigger over one second or so of time, groups are excellent (for me). As for the grips, I use a bicycle inner tube, but the talons have a good rep.

hardluk1
02-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Heres one of several charts to help with trigger pull issues
http://www.makarov.com/graphics/targets/anatarget.jpg

For the grip If you have a bicycle shop near you stop by a get a used and free 1.75" inner and you cut custom grip sleeves to cover more grip than any bought and made up slip on. Even buying a tube is cheaper than any company branded slip on.

You may also find there is a limit to how many rounds you can fire well or want to fire that you can control well enough to matter. Find that number and stop before it.

Gringo Pistolero
02-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Not an instructor or expert here either, but...
I would agree that a consistent grip and trigger squeeze will probably solve your problems. Opinions vary, but I've always been a fan of dry-fire practice to learn trigger control.

On the grip question, I'm one of the apparently rare people who has no problem with the Kahr grips as they are. I don't use anything on my three CWs (9, 45 and 380). Others who don't like the texture seem to prefer the bicycle inner tube over the grip.

Plenty of practice, both dry-fire and live fire should tighten those groups right up. Enjoy!

Chuck

borg18
02-11-2014, 06:09 AM
That chart is pretty cool..thanks for the info guys,i really appreciate it. Since i bought the grips already,ill give them a shot,but i will also try the tube.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

ParrotHead
02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Bike inner tube FTW! Cheap, works great and you can "outfit" many guns with one purchase.

http://imageshack.com/a/img690/8523/cgo7.jpg

addictedhealer
02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Bike inner tube FTW! Cheap, works great and you can "outfit" many guns with one purchase.

http://imageshack.com/a/img690/8523/cgo7.jpg

What size do u use?

ParrotHead
02-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Believe it was 1.75"

Rooster59
02-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Ditto on red palms generally meaning loose grip allowing the checkering to rub your skin. The grip is so slim that some hands may be too big to grip it well. If that's the case the innertube should help fill your palm.

Bill
02-12-2014, 12:42 AM
I picked up a Pachmayr grip for my P380 and took it too the range yesterday. Costs a little more than the bike tube idea but worked wonderfully. I like he molded finger ridge in the front. It was a little slippery and moved around on the grip a bit but when I got it home I washed it with dish sop and it is better now. I do like the inner tube idea though...

Slater1601
02-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Are the other guns you shoot striker fire pistols? Maybe you're just not used to the trigger yet. I have a CW9 and its accuracy is excellent. Initially it was a big change from other guns with a hammer/sear group. But now that I'm used to it I love it. Give it time!

borg18
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
my other guns are a s&w sigma series 40 cal and a revolver in 357. im sure its me somewhere, just gotta make it comfortable now before i shoot again. my trigger also started creaking like ive read in outher posts...i need to polish something where a spring rides. does anyone know the size of the torx on the frame so i can get in there?

Slater1601
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
The sigma is striker fired but the trigger mechanism works differently. It works like a Glock. They definitely have different feels to them, and a different pull. But you'll get adjusted eventually. Just keep shooting! :)

carwash
02-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Hogue Hand-All Jr. fits perfectly.

jocko
02-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Are the other guns you shoot striker fire pistols? Maybe you're just not used to the trigger yet. I have a CW9 and its accuracy is excellent. Initially it was a big change from other guns with a hammer/sear group. But now that I'm used to it I love it. Give it time!

and as u well know it takes time and rounds down rang eto get the hang of kahrs trigger system. None smoother but also IMO none more frustrating for some to get good with it. Some never cuddle up to a kahr and I would bet far more are traded in or sold due to inaccuracy issues.
I never felt kahrs were target guns. no doubt they will shoot in the sam ehole but most owners cannot do it, and then it pisses um off etc kand they soon forget what they really bought the gun for. It is a true defense gun, no bull sh!t buttons, levers triger safetys etc, just point the fokker and pull the trigger. The gun willdo the rest. I think alot to practice far to far. my 21 cent sis to keep 7 yards and under, thatis where the threaty is gonna be, not 25 yards. Get good at that distance, get fast at that distance, keep um all in a 6" group and the BG will never know what hit him.

If ur looking for same hole accuracy, IMO, buy anutter gun. I shoot circles around all my kahrs with my nicely tuned G19.. Most accurate handgun I have ever owned, BUT BUT, my trusty PMJ9 is in my front pocket 24/7 while my G19 sits at home, ready to go but still sits at home. There is a difference. If it ain'ton ur person, then IMO it ain't worth a fokk for defence:Amflag2: Just sayin

Two K9's could have saved the ALAMO. No doubt in my mind

borg18
02-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Ur right..I do need practice, but like u said, it's for protection not winning tournaments....and if someone is 25 yards out, then I should be running and hiding not trying to take aim...ill keep up the practice just to get familiar with it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2