PDA

View Full Version : Hurry up and wait...5 more days for my CW9

trooplewis
02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
About the only benefit I can think of regarding the 10-day waiting period here in California is that I can lurk on the Kahr forums during that period and bone up on the essentials.

Now after reading numerous threads, my daily mantra is "I hope I get a good one". Turner's had the CW9 on sale for $369, and I had been looking for another 9mm (I own a S&W Model 639 that is about 30 years old and has probably only had 120 rounds shot through it), so I jumped on it and got the last one they had available.

In another couple of weeks, semi-auto handguns are going to get real scarce here in California. Word is that Ruger is going to pull their semi-autos out of the state, rather than comply with the micro-engraved firing pin ruling. I haven't hear what Kahr is going to do, but I take delivery of mine on Saturday so I'm good to go on that one at least.

Great forum, lots of good advice. Now if I can just get a good one...

DavidR
02-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Great price. I paid 399 in south Florida. Mine seems to be a good one. In Florida, if you have a concealed carry permit, there is no wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParrotHead
02-11-2014, 08:07 AM
S&W is doing the same thing

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/26/smith-wesson-to-stop-selling-some-pistols-in-california-due-to-gun-law/

muggsy
02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
About the only benefit I can think of regarding the 10-day waiting period here in California is that I can lurk on the Kahr forums during that period and bone up on the essentials.

Now after reading numerous threads, my daily mantra is "I hope I get a good one". Turner's had the CW9 on sale for $369, and I had been looking for another 9mm (I own a S&W Model 639 that is about 30 years old and has probably only had 120 rounds shot through it), so I jumped on it and got the last one they had available.

In another couple of weeks, semi-auto handguns are going to get real scarce here in California. Word is that Ruger is going to pull their semi-autos out of the state, rather than comply with the micro-engraved firing pin ruling. I haven't hear what Kahr is going to do, but I take delivery of mine on Saturday so I'm good to go on that one at least.

Great forum, lots of good advice. Now if I can just get a good one...

You have about a 99% chance of getting a good one.

rahmann62
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
I love my CW9, it goes with me about every day, the only time it doesn't is when I carry my CW380. Here in Nebraska there is now waiting period, with your permit, you fill out paperwork and head out the door with your new gun.

trooplewis
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
You have about a 99% chance of getting a good one. I hope you are right, especially since I need to spend an additional $120 to break it in. Can't think of any other product that would tell you right up front that you have to spend 30% of the price of the product to make it work right, after you buy it. So I'm crossing my fingers.

In Florida, if you have a concealed carry permit, there is no wait.

Odds of getting a CCW in San Diego are about the same as winning the lottery.

4 days till I can take delivery...

DavidR
02-15-2014, 04:07 AM
Odds of getting a CCW in San Diego are about the same as winning the lottery.

In Florida you have to sit through a 2 hour course, fill out some paperwork and apply in person at a state government office. Generally speaking, unless you have a criminal record, you get the license in 4-6 weeks. It's good for 8 years and recognized by most, if not all of the states in the southeast.

With a license, there is no waiting period although there is some paperwork and a background check. The background check is quick and done while you wait.

The downside of having a license is that every time I go to the range at my LGS I have to fight the urge to impulse buy another gun.

smo79
02-15-2014, 08:06 AM
In Illinois you have to get a Foid card which takes several weeks to months, then if you buy a handgun it is an additional 72 hour wait. Then if you want to ccw you have to go through a 16 hour training course and another background check and wait 90-120 days for that.

berettabone
02-15-2014, 09:48 AM
In Florida you have to sit through a 2 hour course, fill out some paperwork and apply in person at a state government office. Generally speaking, unless you have a criminal record, you get the license in 4-6 weeks. It's good for 8 years and recognized by most, if not all of the states in the southeast.

With a license, there is no waiting period although there is some paperwork and a background check. The background check is quick and done while you wait.

The downside of having a license is that every time I go to the range at my LGS I have to fight the urge to impulse buy another gun.
I find it interesting, that Florida would only require it's residents to take a 2 hr. course. In my state, to qualify for a non res Florida license, it's 4 hrs. with a qualifying shoot. I passed on the Florida license, and got the Utah non res instead. Still did the qualifying shoot, but both the Utah and Wisc. license together were cheaper than Florida's.;)

JERRY
02-15-2014, 10:01 AM
I haven't had to do the waiting period b.s. since 1996 when I left Ohio. you have my sympathies for having to endure this futility.

the Kahr 9mms seem to be the best of their efforts.

feedramp
02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Your wait time will be well worth it, seeing as you did get your CM9.

Of course it will be a good one .. :Amflag2:

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Great price. I paid 399 in south Florida. Mine seems to be a good one. In Florida, if you have a concealed carry permit, there is no wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid $349.99 in Fort Worth on Feb 12th for my CW9. Cabelas had the on sale for $50 off! In Texas there is no wait period either. If you have a CHL then they don't even check for gov't approval. If you don't have a CHL, they call in and get gov't approval, and that usually takes only a few minutes.

BTW, in Texas you can get a CHL by taking a 4 hours instruction course, qualifying on the range, and waiting 2 to 3 months for the application to be processed and approved. Until last September 2013, the course required 8 hours of instruction, but a new law cut that in half. The range qualification is really too easy IMO. You shoot 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, then 10 rounds at 15 yards. You have to score a 175 out of 250 points to qualify. most people qualify before they even shoot the last 10 rounds at 15 yards.

DavidR
02-15-2014, 12:24 PM
BTW, in Texas you can get a CHL by taking a 4 hours instruction course, qualifying on the range, and waiting 2 to 3 months for the application to be processed and approved. Until last September 2013, the course required 8 hours of instruction, but a new law cut that in half. The range qualification is really too easy IMO. You shoot 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, then 10 rounds at 15 yards. You have to score a 175 out of 250 points to qualify. most people qualify before they even shoot the last 10 rounds at 15 yards.

In Florida you only have to shoot 2 rounds. Not sure you have to even hit the paper.

DavidR
02-15-2014, 12:27 PM
I find it interesting, that Florida would only require it's residents to take a 2 hr. course. In my state, to qualify for a non res Florida license, it's 4 hrs. with a qualifying shoot. I passed on the Florida license, and got the Utah non res instead. Still did the qualifying shoot, but both the Utah and Wisc. license together were cheaper than Florida's.;)

Maybe the course is supposed to be 4 hours but the one I attended didn't last nearly that long. You are required to fire 2 shots on the range as part of the course. I'm not sure you even need to hit the paper - no one looked at mine.

RRP
02-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Wait Period: The time elapsed from when I swipe my credit card to when approval is obtained. Usually a second or two.

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
In Florida you only have to shoot 2 rounds. Not sure you have to even hit the paper.

WOW! :eek: I'm all for keeping the instruction about the legal stuff at a bare minimum, but I think I would feel safer if they spent a little more time on the actual shooting qualification. A friend took a refresher CHL course last year and two of the students fired their weapons into the floor and one pointed a loaded/chambered weapon down the shooting line, unintentionally of course. The instructor told both of them that if he could he would have disqualified them because neither of them had any business handling a loaded handgun. But since they scored high enough on the shooting test he had to pass them. The law has now changed in Texas and an accidental discharge or mishandling a firearm on the range can now disqualify an applicant. Some Texas instructors will refuse to teach students the CHL course if they feel they are under trained on handgun handling and use. They make them take a beginners course first.

berettabone
02-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Maybe the course is supposed to be 4 hours but the one I attended didn't last nearly that long. You are required to fire 2 shots on the range as part of the course. I'm not sure you even need to hit the paper - no one looked at mine.
Ours consisted of...........no matter what type of firearm...........load 5, shoot 5, at standard FBI target from 5 yds., in under a minute, center mass.....then do the same thing, loading 5 at a time, loading and shooting twice, in under a minute. Then the same thing from 10 yds., for a total of 30 rds.

trooplewis
02-15-2014, 10:39 PM
I got it! The wait is over, now I have to wait for some free time to go and fire it. The 10 day wait does serve some useful purpose. During that period I ordered (and received on my front porch) 200 rds of 9mm, a Hogue sleeve, an Uplula mag loader, a holster and a couple of Wolff springs.

Now to do the breakdown, clean and lube programs, still might be 3 or 4 more days till I can get some time in at the indoor range.

RevRay
02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Now the only wait time is self-imposed ... which is always a lot more tolerable. Congratulations, have fun and stay safe.

trooplewis
02-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Now the only wait time is self-imposed ... which is always a lot more tolerable. Congratulations, have fun and stay safe.

More like work-imposed, but yeah, same result.

trooplewis
02-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Finally got a chance to take my new CW9 to an indoor range here in San Diego and put 150 rds through it.

No issues, looks like I did indeed get a good one. I only shot jacketed round-nose through it, but every one fed and fired just fine.

The Uplula was worth every penny, and I left the slide in the locked-open position all night just to take some of the stiffness out of it, and all worked out well.

By the way, I have a factory-supplied mag loader for my .45 Taurus, so I got a chance to compare the two. I think the Taurus loader is faster and easier to use, but the Uplula is still waaaay better than finger-pressing 150 9mm rounds.

The CW9 actually made my Taurus Millenium Pro look bad. The slide on the Taurus locked open while there were still rounds left in the magazine. It happened 3 or 4 time in 50 rounds, so when I got home I packed it up and sent it to Taurus for repair.

They charged me $50 for two-day shipping and insurance, but hopefully the gun will work right when it gets back. I keep trying to like the Taurus, but I may have to look into the Kahr .45 one of these days.