PDA

View Full Version : Will Kahr address this?

Slater1601
02-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Hello all. I've carried a CW9 for almost 10 years now and I think it is an excellent gun. I finally decided I would like to upgrade to a P9 for the night sights and the better barrel. I particularly wanted the black/black which seems to be nearly impossible to find. I finally found a like new one for an excellent price. When I got the gun I was disappointed to find that it was shooting left every time. I even tested it from a rest and quickly determined it was not me. After some examination it looks like Kahr did not fully drift in the front sight. It looks minimal but the further out you shoot the further off the POI is. I know some people will say to change my aim, but I don't feel I should have to do that on a ~$750 pistol.

Also, the trigger on the P9 is AWFUL compared to the CW9. Its a mile longer and hits a terrible snag right before the break.

Do you guys think I should get these items fixed locally or should I attempt to get Kahr to fix? Would they charge to do so?

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz286/Slater1601/sight1_zpsd7915410.jpg

Longitude Zero
02-12-2014, 06:44 AM
If a local shop or "smith" has a sight pusher try it local as this really isn't a "defect" just a sight in need of adjustment.

Slater1601
02-12-2014, 07:00 AM
I agree. The only reason I was leaning more towards Kahr was because the trigger is also bad. I've read all these posts of Kahr making the trigger what it should be when sent back.

b4uqzme
02-12-2014, 07:06 AM
but I don't feel I should have to do that on a ~$750 pistol.

That sentence always bugs me. I'm not sure the cost of the gun matters.

But welcome slater and thanks for the post. I agree that both issues should be addressed. If it was just the sight I would recommend you have your local smith take care of it. It probably wouldn't cost much and the convenience would be worth it. You could even try drifting it yourself but Kahr sights have a reputation for being stubborn. Regarding the trigger: I'd ask you to field strip the gun and take that panel off the side and look for simple easy fixes like burrs or dry rubbing parts. But that won't correct the "long" pull. There have been others who have sent their guns back and they returned with great triggers. Maybe some of them will chime in with their first hand experiences. That may be your best route and you might as well let them zero the sights too. With that said, you probably should complete your break-in before making your decision. Kahrs are great guns and you deserve one that's top notch. Good luck.

muggsy
02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
The key words here are "like new". It could well be that the previous owner moved the front sight so that he could shoot to his point of aim. That's not Kahr's responsibility. If the trigger is within specifications Kahr probably won't do anything to improve it either. Sounds like someone is looking for something for nothing. Kahr may take care of both issues for you, but only out of the goodness of their hearts.

jocko
02-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Hello all. I've carried a CW9 for almost 10 years now and I think it is an excellent gun. I finally decided I would like to upgrade to a P9 for the night sights and the better barrel. I particularly wanted the black/black which seems to be nearly impossible to find. I finally found a like new one for an excellent price. When I got the gun I was disappointed to find that it was shooting left every time. I even tested it from a rest and quickly determined it was not me. After some examination it looks like Kahr did not fully drift in the front sight. It looks minimal but the further out you shoot the further off the POI is. I know some people will say to change my aim, but I don't feel I should have to do that on a ~$750 pistol.

Also, the trigger on the P9 is AWFUL compared to the CW9. Its a mile longer and hits a terrible snag right before the break.

Do you guys think I should get these items fixed locally or should I attempt to get Kahr to fix? Would they charge to do so?

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz286/Slater1601/sight1_zpsd7915410.jpg

a used gun, so u don't know what has or has not been done to it. Tjhe triggers on both guns are the same, One might feel better du7e to more round sthrough it etc. Other than that they are the same. If the gun goes bang every time then we can also consider that the trigger system is working as it should. A good smitty with a site pusher can move that site oer fore you. I would not advise trying it with out a pusher

If u send it back kahr will move the site for you and more thna likely do it for only postage, but if u send the entire gun back then ur gonna pay all thge shipping of it back and that is very costly. U can send the slide regular mail, for about 5$.

When u buy used u sometimes get things that maybe the owner did to make his gun better. I can assure u, I am a lefty and i SHOOT MY Pmj9 PISS POOR, AND I have my rear site moved over very noticeable. Works perfect for me though.

I don't see a problem with anything ur discussing. Fix the site locally, live with the trigger difference. possably 200 rounds down range might smooth alot of it out to. Unless u have a real trigger problem that is causing no bang thing, kahr will do nuttin. It is what it is. U could also give the moving partsin the P9 series a good plishing to, certainly is not gonna hurt a darn thing.

IMO nuttin beats rounds ging down rang eto make things better in any gun.:Amflag2:

Slater1601
02-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I agree that the previous owner could have had the site moved. But it doesn't seem like he put enough rounds through this thing to be able to know if he needed to move them. When I got it I pulled it apart and I couldn't tell it had been shot at all.

HAP1978
02-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Something to keep in mind also. I know I've accidentally dropped guns on the ground in the past and the site was moved. No way to know for sure if it was Kahr or the previous owner that somehow moved it.

I agree with taking it to a local gunsmith. Would be fast and cheap to have it corrected.

mtnwinds
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I bought 2 used Kahrs; a K40 and a CW9. Both had issues and that is most likely why the original owners go rid of them. Neither owner said anything about problems. With the information available on this site I've been able to repair both of them to 100% reliable pistols. Both had magazine dropping issues and one also had a stripped screw hole in the frame issue.

My point is that when I purchase a used 'anything' I expect it to have 'hidden' issues. It's a rare individual who will tell you a firearm has a problem and that is why they are selling it. I also don't expect the factory to warranty anything.

The phrase 'caveat emptor' has been around for a long time for a good reason.

Dirt doc
02-12-2014, 11:40 AM
There is no reason to live with a poor trigger. Yes the trigger design and specs on Kahrs may be the same but some triggers have different personalities. I have fired and owned numerousl Kahrs. All but one had great smooth triggers. However the one, my first and a P9, had a trigger that sucked. It seemed to load up at the end before it broke. It wasn't consistent throughout its travel. That trigger had an adverse impact on my ability to shoot that pistol. While I could shoot the others quite well, I couldn't that one.

If the gun seems relatively new, I agree shoot it some to see if it smooths out. If it doesn't, get the trigger fixed to your satisfaction. Otherwise you'll shoot your Kahr piss poor just like others who live with poor triggers. Life is to short to put up with a bad trigger!

jocko
02-12-2014, 12:54 PM
I agree that the previous owner could have had the site moved. But it doesn't seem like he put enough rounds through this thing to be able to know if he needed to move them. When I got it I pulled it apart and I couldn't tell it had been shot at all.

to argue iwth u, so tjake this as my comment. I have over 32K rounds thorug my PMJ 9, and I can guarantee u, that if u looked it the the guns internals show zero wear anywhere, U can't tellif it has 200 or 32K rounds thorugh it. Good guns just don't show wear. this P9 I have no doubt has nuttin close to 32K rounds kand if it had 5000 rounds and was taken care of u would never know any difference either, other than it should be smooter than glass IMO. So rounds dow range for me in any good gun means nadda. Abusive care is anutter thing that has nadda to do with rounds down range.

Many people peddle guns that don't work, and do u really think they are gonna tell the bkuyer/dealer that???? A used gun is a real bargain if all is well, it can be a nitemare if it is not. I would venture to say that most kahrs are traded in because the owner just could not master the loooooong trigger system and there fore could not hit anything. Kahrs are what they are, a prue 100% defense gun, close range, Most people shoot POA style with a kahr. If one thinks he is gonna line the front site, back site and BG up in a defense situation, he is more than likely DEAD. No doubt it is nice to practice that way but if u think ur gonna shoot 2" groups with a kahr, then I think u have a bi surprise commin. Just sayin

b4uqzme
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
^^^^^. I was thinking the same thing but Jocko said it better. Yeah right ;).

I prefer to buy used firearms and most/all of them were fine. The only abuse they seem to have suffered was that they were left dirty. God bless owners who don't know how to clean their guns. They've saved me a lot of $$$$. Just sayin'.