PDA

View Full Version : New CW9 ammo suggestions?

yoyomeng
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Just picked up a new CW9 and I'm wondering what are some ammo brands/types I should be looking at. I'm new to handguns and get confused beyond FMJ and hollow point nomenclature.:confused::confused:

I almost grabbed some WWB (white box??) just to go shooting with but wanted to learn some stuff before I did.

Looking for suggestions target and defense rounds.

Thanks.

DKD
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Just load up any standard brand of FMJ {Full Metal Jacket} and break her in with that fodder.Then after about 200 rounds clean her up and go to a few carry degensive type hollow points. Hornady crtical defense, and Speer Gold Dots are a good solid loadings. runn afew different makes and see how they feed and print on paper. In 9mm I prefer the 115 grainers and 124 graners...try and keep the velocity up for better expansion performance.

Bawanna
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Just picked up a new CW9 and I'm wondering what are some ammo brands/types I should be looking at. I'm new to handguns and get confused beyond FMJ and hollow point nomenclature.:confused::confused:

I almost grabbed some WWB (white box??) just to go shooting with but wanted to learn some stuff before I did.

Looking for suggestions target and defense rounds.

Thanks.

Many folks here use the WWB white box for range sessions. There's a plethora of options and personal opinions out there. For range I look for cheap but reliable. I reload so I don't look for range ammo much. Anything FMJ or ball ammo will do. If you plan to reload stick with a brass case over say the blazer aluminum. Look under the ammunition threads and you'll see alot of discussion on this. For carry ammo you need to be a bit more selective. You need to test and make sure it works flawlessly. Stick with name brand stuff. I like Speer Gold Dot, some prefer Winchester or Golden Sabre. Lots of choices that could be discussed and argued pros and cons all day long.
Here at the dept we always say the best ammo is free ammo and of course thats true. I personally steer clear of anything steel cased, many swear by Wolf, I don't even look at it, just one of those opinions that everyone has, that's just mine.

jocko
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
welcome aboard. Yo might want to go to the karh tech section and hit on PROPPER PREPPING OFYOUR NEW KAHR. It might indeed help u somewhat.

Kahrs are definitely not ammo sensistive. They will shoot anything that goes into the pipe. For range fodder, u cannot beat wal-marts prices on wwb 100pak ammo.If u reload , forget what I just said.

Defense stuff is like ice cream, we all have our preferences. Find the round that is totally reliable in your kahr, shoot it like u stole it and just stick with it.

My choices are corbon powerball, corbon 125 hp, Gold dot 124 hp. All work perfect, all are hot rounds and all shoot same POA for me.

You have a dandy gun there, u ain't gonna hurt it by shooting it either.....

QuietMan
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
WWB is a good practice ammo for the money...keep an eye on local Walmart when they get it in.
SD ammo Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST if you can find them. The Federal I carry are 124+P load a little hotter load for self defense
Gold Dots in 115 or 124 are also a good choice.

Welcome to the addiction....:D...

jfrey
05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the family. I could say a few things but Jocko, Bawanna, and Quietman have already covered everything pretty well. Now go shoot it and enjoy your pistol.

yoyomeng
05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
thanks guys, itching to get to a range...

yoyomeng
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
...and that guide is great

P-9
05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the hornady CD myself, less recoil and flash and feed in all my 9mm's.
I get quick follow up shots with it , staying on target.
Especially in small pocket sized guns .
WWB for practice.

membler
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd love to get some Hornaday CD for my CW9 but I can't find it anywhere? Not even online. I did see some 38 special at Bass Pro Shops.

Any suggestions?

P-9
05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I got mine from cheaper than dirt, you have to check every couple of days , it is usually gone in 2-3 days of arrival there.

Bawanna
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not certain how Cheaper than Dirt works their back orders, I've ordered from them several times but I have found that with someplaces its best to just order it even knowing that it's going directly into back order status. I was waiting for Midway to get some bullets in and it never seemed to happen. Somebody suggested this same thing so I ordered and had them in a couple weeks. They apparently justed couldn't get ahead of the B/O status at that time. Just need to make sure it's ok to backorder. Midway specifically states on the item it's ok or not ok. I assume when its not ok your out of luck or it's gonna be a long wait.
Just a thought.
I just checked the flyer I got yesterday and they didn't show and CD which doesn't mean much, just not in the special flyer. I'm keep my eyes peeled for ya.

P-9
05-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I accidently doubled

at_liberty
05-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I'd love to get some Hornaday CD for my CW9 but I can't find it anywhere? Not even online. I did see some 38 special at Bass Pro Shops.

Any suggestions?

Streicher's appears to have it. (http://www.policehq.com/Products/HOR-9CD1)

You might look for the TAP round also. It has nickel plated cases for a lot of holster time.

P-9
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Does Streicher's (http://www.policehq.com/Products/HOR-9CD1) sell to non LEO'S ?
Some places have started restricting the good stuff, like hollow point.

Bawanna
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Does Streicher's (http://www.policehq.com/Products/HOR-9CD1) sell to non LEO'S ?
Some places have started restricting the good stuff, like hollow point.

Looking under terms and conditions they do mention that certain items are restricted to LE or Military. I see no indication this ammo is in that category. Often times it's not the vendor who sets the restriction either. I buy ammunition for my department and depending on what we're looking for we're often times required to buy from a certain vendor who is a LE distributor, apparently who represents the manufacturer and allows a lower price, which of course means nothing to you in this case but an explanation as to part of the reasoning behind those restrictions.
Stuff is'nt cheap is it. 20 bucks for 25. Rumor has it it's good stuff though.

Frankhenrylee
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Lets see if I can hike my leg up on this one. Don't know if its true or not but out of the shooting I've done recently the Federals seem to be a little cleaner than the WWBs. Could just be coincidence. Oh yeah Gold Dots have always been one of the best. I prefer the heaviest bullet I can get. Have never tested it but it would seem like the heavier bullets which are longer as well would have the most expansion. Bigger, deeper hole equals better hole as far as bullet holes go.

P-9
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Critical defense is a bit high priced, but it has expanded without fail for me when tested. I have also got good results from DRT ammo, I paid about $33 for a box of 50
of those and they worked well too , there was a sale on spam at the local market and I took it out of the cans (five) and lined them up, the DRT made a royal mess out of it.
Even the .380 worked out of a beretta mod 84, I dont know how well it would work out of a shorter bbl though, probably fine.

Mr. S
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Check here. You can buy the Speer Gold Dots in 50 round boxes for 27.95
They also have many other offerings.

HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/page/1/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo/sort/2a)

I personally wouldn't spend $20 a box for the Critical Defense.
The critical defense seems like a gimmick to me.

yoyomeng
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm just reading about these on the ammo to go site.

I live in a townhome and in that situation I'm most concerned with penetrating to other rooms in my home or to my neighbors. I ran across the Glaser Blue Safety Slug, they're expensive but are they worth it compared to other options in my situation?

edit: or the silver version

at_liberty
05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm just reading about these on the ammo to go site.

I live in a townhome and in that situation I'm most concerned with penetrating to other rooms in my home or to my neighbors. I ran across the Glaser Blue Safety Slug, they're expensive but are they worth it compared to other options in my situation?

edit: or the silver version

I have used the Glasers when concerned about ricochets in a block wall building like my shop, but I don't see how you can ask for a gun not to act like a gun and penetrate a couple layers of sheetrock. I would be more concerned about stopping a threat and making extra sure there will be no negligent discharges (be very disciplined). Beyond that, sh!t happens. Consider the odds of even needing to fire the gun, let alone what might happen as a consequence. I don't believe there is any liability for having minimally effective ammo.

I have to ask...living in a townhome, are there any covenants attached to the deed that relate to firearms? Is there some legal exposure here? Also, does your insurance have conditions relating to firearms?

wyntrout
05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Those Glaser blues are good for homes with wheels because even a .22 can go through trailer walls. My Ex and I are real friendly and I helped her decide on a pistol and I tried for about a year to get some Glasers for her because she was really concerned about blowing her neighbors away with any kind of solid bullet.
She wound up with a Charter arms snubbie in stainless and still has solids in it. I'm not even sure they are hollow points.
I would go for the blue in the slower charge with the heavier projectile, but that's just me. The Silver might be better as a "Winter" load and give more penetration since it uses heavier birdshot than the Blue.
It might be better to have some serious stuff follow 2 or 3 of the Glasers, in case the BG is still advancing. I wouldn't use that stuff outside the house or building, though.
I guess there's an argument for using it for carry and preventing over-penetration, though. Most of the "good" defense ammo penetrates or is required to penetrate 12" of gel after going through heavy clothing or a barrier like a windshield or car door... which might be handy for returning fire at a drive-by shooter, but kind of hazardous to everyone else in a store or restaurant.:eek:
Wynn:D

Bawanna
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
For my 2 cents, in an earlier life I carried Glasers not so much for richochet or penetration issues but just for the devastating bad things they cause when they hit. The downfall is any defense round that comes in a thermoplastic case of 6 rounds is so bloody expensive that you'll carry those around until they are plumb wore out from carrying but guess what? You'll cry everytime you pull the trigger and have to buy more. So you won't practice with them.
I had a lady come into a shop I frequented and she really had a good head on her shoulders. Somebody recommended the Glasers. She said great. Give me 2 cases so I have something to practice and get proficient with. Well even then you could darn near buy a pickup truck for the cost of 2 cases of glasers. Pointed her at some good reputable hollow points, probably Gold Dot but I don't recall for sure and stick with em.
There's lots of good choices for carry ammo and lots of opinions too. If your concerned about overpenetration in your home get a good shotgun and some birdshot. Bullets go thru walls, can't do much to stop it but hit what your aiming at before it gets to the wall. Not always an easy task.

Mr. S
05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Save your money and buy some good hollowpoints.
Glasers aren't good enough to trust your life to.

jlottmc
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Gotta agree with Mr. S and Bawanna here. The Glasers have done some wicked nasty things on soft targets, but I have yet to see anything on a harder target. Plus the expense alone is more than prohibitive in my book. A good shot gun with bird shot at the ranges you're looking at will surprise you, and won't make that much of a mess of the other side of sheet rock. Most any HP these days will do the job, and searching for the perfect load comes down to splitting hairs, just make sure they work in your weapon, and are available to you.

at_liberty
05-29-2010, 09:43 AM
If using the practice of firing twice and stopping to evaluate, you could use that as reasoning to have Glasers as only the first two rounds. The point is that the expense and need for many rounds is not what one might think. Also, I think we can get carried away with shooting up expensive defensive rounds for practice. I would just shoot off that loaded round periodically and replace it with a fresh round. The brass does oxidize and get pretty dark, so that could be used as an indicator when to test fire and freshen up, but only at the expense of one or two rounds. There is certainly no argument that the price on a card of just a half dozen rounds is pretty intimidating.

yoyomeng
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I have to ask...living in a townhome, are there any covenants attached to the deed that relate to firearms? Is there some legal exposure here? Also, does your insurance have conditions relating to firearms?

No conditions on living in the townhome or with the association that I know of. Same with insurance. But good points and I'll have to check for sure for peace of mind.

DKD
06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Guys we can beat this horse to death and that is for sure and for certain! you all are right that there are many good choices these days for a good self defense ammunition.
But let us not over think this thing and stay focused on the most import thing, that being be sure of our target, focus on the front sight and press that darn trigger. All else becomes a mute point if we can't hit the intended target or rather I say miscreant.

jocko
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Guys we can beat this horse to death and that is for sure and for certain! you all are right that there are many good choices these days for a good self defense ammunition.
But let us not over think this thing and stay focused on the most import thing, that being be sure of our target, focus on the front sight and press that darn trigger. All else becomes a mute point if we can't hit the intended target or rather I say miscreant.

lets not forget what I think is the most important # 1 thing. THE GUN MUST GO BANG WITH THE DEFENSE ROUND OF YOUR CHOICE or all the above things cannot happen.

at_liberty
06-04-2010, 07:03 AM
lets not forget what I think is the most important # 1 thing. THE GUN MUST GO BANG WITH THE DEFENSE ROUND OF YOUR CHOICE or all the above things cannot happen.

But on the other hand, lots of discussions are about examining the minutiae of what we do. I don't know that dismissing interest in some detail by citing a platitude is really what it's all about or anyone's place to attempt.

Those with some interest in reloading or just reliability would be especially interested in cartridge specs and performance. It might be their interest to feel like they have made the very best-informed choice among the alternatives.

Round nose practice ammo would very likely get the job done in a worst case scenario. It was good enough for soldiers. But "adequate" is not what we are talking about. I believe the interest is in being "optimal", short of spending crazy amounts on some hi-tech stuff that looks enticing, sexy if you will, but has no significant increase in performance characteristics, maybe no more than pulling even with an offering by a competing brand.

yoyomeng
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I was more or less just to get ideas of what to try as my first defensive rounds. I'll think I'll try to find some gold dots.

thanks for the input.

Bawanna
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I was more or less just to get ideas of what to try as my first defensive rounds. I'll think I'll try to find some gold dots.

thanks for the input.

My personal favorite for many many years. Course I aint shot nobody for.......well guess I never shot nobody, imagine that. Course the day ain't over yet. I think they'll work for you just fine. Lots of good defense rounds out there, if your gun likes em, they'll do the job.

yoyomeng
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Can't wait to shoot this week, got 2 extra mags on the way!

wyntrout
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM

thanks for the input.

A lot of people like those GDs. I use +P 9mm 124/125-grain GDs and Double Tap +P using the same bonded GD bullets. There's also the Short Barrel version of the Speer GDs. I use that. The difference...??
The Double Tap was a bit cheaper in 50-round boxes... about 82 cents a bullet, delivered, but I'm not sure they still make that version.
The Speer ammo had about the same flash as the DTs.:D
Earlier tests in dimmer light were much more spectacular with the DT:

http://kahrtalk.com/ammunition/1151-double-tap-124gr-9mm-p-jhp-range-test.html

Wynn:D

zehnmm
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to echo what others have stated about using Walmart ammo for break-in and regular target shooting. Generally you can find Walmart ammo (Win white box, RWS, UMC...) at or near $0.25 per round.

Practice a little bit with premium SD ammo that can run $0.85 - $1.20 per round. I recently picked up some 115gr Speer Gold Dots from Cabelas for an average of $0.92 per round. These will serve as my carry rounds.

yoyomeng
06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
So I find the 124/147gr. 9mm HP Gold Dots at Cabelas for 22.99 and 115 on sale for 17.99.

So the lighter bullets go faster. But is 115gr ok? That seems like a very good price to me.

yoyomeng
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I just answered my own question...nevermind:blah:

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
So have you had a chance to shoot it yet. We're overly anxious for a range report.

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Another reason I use GD's is, besides being a good defense round, most of the police jurisdictions around here use them. So if you're on the stand and the prosecutor booms out "Why did you use those evil man-killing bullets" you can reply "Hey, it's the same cartridge that the police department uses".

I'm sorry - I'm a lawyer and I think about things like that.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Another reason I use GD's is, besides being a good defense round, most of the police jurisdictions around here use them. So if you're on the stand and the prosecutor booms out "Why did you use those evil man-killing bullets" you can reply "Hey, it's the same cartridge that the police department uses".

I always planned to use the story that that's what the man at the ammunition store told me to use.

You don't talk like a lawyer.

recoilguy
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Because the evil man wounding bullets seem a bt inhumane.

RCG

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I always planned to use the story that that's what the man at the ammunition store told me to use.

You don't talk like a lawyer.

What, I'm suppose to post in Latin?

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
What, I'm suppose to post in Latin?

Your ok, I grew fond of you before I knew you were a snake in the long grass lawyer. Hate to profile you like that but it's ok I still love you.
Guess I expected more party of the first part on behalf of the party of the third part according to subsection XVI4637B paragraph X do hold forth and such.

I don't know Latin much or any of them 3rd world languages, only by god american so Latin wouldn't help much either.

Remember your still my pal right. Our prosecuting attorney made me testify in a case a few months ago, told him I didn't want to, don't like courtrooms much, or attorneys or judges or rules or the town the court was in. He made me. Had to testify and prove that a gun a bad guy had was a working gun. Took 4 hours, driving, sitting around, and about 3 minutes on the stand. I'm still not over it. But being the party of the last part I did my civic duty and helped take another dirt bag off the street.

You still love me too right?

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Your ok, I grew fond of you before I knew you were a snake in the long grass lawyer. Hate to profile you like that but it's ok I still love you.
Guess I expected more party of the first part on behalf of the party of the third part according to subsection XVI4637B paragraph X do hold forth and such.

I don't know Latin much or any of them 3rd world languages, only by god american so Latin wouldn't help much either.

Remember your still my pal right. Our prosecuting attorney made me testify in a case a few months ago, told him I didn't want to, don't like courtrooms much, or attorneys or judges or rules or the town the court was in. He made me. Had to testify and prove that a gun a bad guy had was a working gun. Took 4 hours, driving, sitting around, and about 3 minutes on the stand. I'm still not over it. But being the party of the last part I did my civic duty and helped take another dirt bag off the street.

You still love me too right?

You probably didn't recognize me as the said snake, because over twenty years ago, I got fed up with the practice of law, other lawyers, and shady clients. I didn't like where it was going, and didn't want to be part of it anymore, so I walked away. The idea of fair play and justice was replaced by the "bottom line". They say the 98% of the lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

If it makes you feel better I took four years of Latin [the Romans weren't 3rd world] about forty years ago, and today I couldn't conjugate or decline my way out of a paper bag.

Of course I still love you - you're the best.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
You probably didn't recognize me as the said snake, because over twenty years ago, I got fed up with the practice of law, other lawyers, and shady clients. I didn't like where it was going, and didn't want to be part of it anymore, so I walked away. The idea of fair play and justice was replaced by the "bottom line". They say the 98% of the lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

If it makes you feel better I took four years of Latin [the Romans weren't 3rd world] about forty years ago, and today I couldn't conjugate or decline my way out of a paper bag.

Of course I still love you - you're the best.

I can't believe they let you say conjugate on here. I inquired of that last evening and wifey gave me the touch me and I'll kill ya look. It happens sometimes.
I have to agree with you, as a former building contractor (often compared to lawyers) 98% give the rest a bad name. I do hate the litigous world we live in today.
Sue someone for spilling hot coffee on your own lap, dont fly with me.
I'm glad it's still ok between us (not in any mano mano type way). I'll try to rein in my profiling ways.
Would it help make it up to you if I refer to you as counsellor?

yoyomeng
06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
So have you had a chance to shoot it yet. We're overly anxious for a range report.

Just went last night with the wifey...I'll put another post up

mhphoto
07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I feed mine whatever is cheapest, which is usually steel or brass-cased Monarch or WWB. Never had a problem. My defense load at the moment is 124 grain Remington Golden Saber +P. It was the only +P 9mm I could find when I was out shopping for it. It runs great through my CW9 too.