PDA

View Full Version : Flitz 'n other stuff

Baklash
02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Just polished the feed ramp and barrel of my new CW9 with Flitz and the little bullet polish pad that came with my Dremel 3000. Boy does it look good!! :)
Never used Flitz before so just wondering about the fact that the pad turned yucky black in just a few seconds. I continued to use it for the entire job since it's the only one I have. Tried a couple times to clean it up a little but didn't work. I'm talking really messy looking. I just wasn't expecting this. Is it normal?:ohmy: I also tried to smooth up the lips on the 3 new mags I have, but I'm not really sure which edges to smooth since there are several at the top at the follower. Can someone can give me a very accurate description or maybe a photo?
And finally, I have not had a problem with a broken follower, but I've put only 100 rounds thru it so far. I have read of filing down part of the follower, and I looked at the photos, but I cannot determine exactly where the follower was smoothed down, nor how much. Can someone modify the photos to add an arrow pointing exactly to the spot or give me a detailed description? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to Kahr's specifically and semi-autos in general since I've owned only revolvers. Hope I didn't include too much on this one post. :blushing:

GLOCKROCKER
02-14-2014, 04:51 PM
First, Yes the black is normal. Second the "lips" do not refer to the follower, the lips are the top of the magazine housing (metal) where the cartridges are retained and fed through. I wouldn't worry about them unless you are having FTF problems or they are obviously burred. Lastly if you have not had a follower problem ( and you probably won't ) leave it be. From everything I've read the broken followers seem to be happening more in the cm series rather than cws. My opinions. Good luck!

kerby9mm
02-14-2014, 05:13 PM
I have always used Liquid Flitz & a cotton cloth. It makes my feed ramps super shiny without a dremel. You can use Flitz on the mag lips also.

muggsy
02-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Contact Kahr and tell them about the broken follower and they will send you a free replacement. If it breaks a second time they will tell you to send the gun to the service department. Request a prepaid mailing label. They should provide you with one, but if they don't send the gun back to them through your local FFL to save on shipping costs. If you are adventurous you can sand a bit of plastic material from the front of the follower to give you more clearance between the feed ramp and follower. Kahr will remove a little metal from the feed ramp and re-polish it to cure the problem.

Baklash
02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
If you are adventurous you can sand a bit of plastic material from the front of the follower to give you more clearance between the feed ramp and follower.
That's what I'm sayin. I'm not clear exactly where to sand the follower. I couldn't tell from looking at the photos. :confused:

GLOCKROCKER
02-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Didn't you say in your first post you have NOT broken a follower?

Baklash
02-18-2014, 09:04 AM
I have not broken a follower, but I thought sanding was a preventative measure so you don't break one.

getsome
02-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Hello Baklash...If you want to do the follower mod then insert an empty magazine in your gun and lock back the slide then push on the muzzel of the barrel until its all the way back and look at where the bottom of the feed ramp either touchs or almost touches the front of the follower and then sand off a bit of material on only that part of the follower and not the top where the bullet rides...

If you haven't broken a follower yet you may not need to do this and I would wait to see if it happens before doing anything....Might be a good idea to order a couple followers from Kahr just in case as having spare parts is a good thing and they are fairly cheap...If you do start busting followers then this mod seems to work and is an alternative to the hassle of shipping your pistol back to Kahr for the rampectomy....

If you do the mod just be careful not to take off too much plastic as that part is already pretty thin in that area and as long as the ramp isn't touching and you have clearance between the ramp and follower you should be good to go....

Baklash
02-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks, getsome, I'll do exactly that to see if it touches and then wait to see if anything happens in the future. Your description tells me exactly where I will need to sand if I need to sand. I appreciate all the comments. This forum is very kind to us newbies who ask some very elementary questions. I've seen other forums of various kinds where people seem to be waiting for a miscue so they can ream 'em out or embarrass someone. Thankfully, this forum is not like that and is probably why those of us who are trying to learn don't hesitate to ask. :Amflag2:

CJB
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
A note or two about Flitz.

Take a look at Flitz smeared on a slide at 25x or 50x with a microscope.

Then take a look at used Flitz smeared on a slide, at 25x or 50x.

You'll see that Flitz is a self disintegrating abrasive. It jagged edged newness becomes a more rounded and smaller granularity as it is used.

I like Flitz.

warbird1
02-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Big Flitz fan here also!

trooplewis
03-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I've used Flitz, and I think I like regular old Mothers mad wheel polish just as much, and it's easier to find.