PDA

View Full Version : earthquake

kahrnut1
02-14-2014, 09:37 PM
SC just had 4.5 earthquake. i know its probbaly old hat to some of you but it was my first. no damage but shook stuff off shelves. lasted about 20 seconds. they are reporting crack in hospital floor a little closer to epicenter.

TheTman
02-14-2014, 10:07 PM
I was in San Francisco when they had a very small tremor, and it sure made me kind of quesy for a bit. The natives we were meeting with didn't even notice it.

ced_56
02-14-2014, 11:16 PM
From SoCal so thats nothing to me but yeah for those notused to it ground shaking can be unnerving to say the least. Not looking forward to hurricane season now that I am in the south

bob98366
02-14-2014, 11:17 PM
They're scary. Been through two notable ones (6.9 Richter Loma Prieta in 1989 that dropped the raised highway in Oakland and a 6.7 Richter in Chiba Japan that shook the Tokyo region pretty well). Best thing to do in a building is find the sturdiest piece of furniture close by and lie on the floor next to it. If ceilings come down, the furniture will create a triangular space next to it that might be big enough to hold you. Trying to run outside is instinct, but is not recommended.

yqtszhj
02-15-2014, 03:22 AM
I was in the Philippines the first time I felt one. It was a 5.? and it freaked me out. I was on the first floor of a 3 story building and when I heard the ceiling crack I ran into the streets.

I live in AL now and when that last one hit the VA area (the one that affected the Washington Monument) I was on the 6th floor of my office building and felt it all the way down here.

Once you've felt one you'll notice them after that.

hardluk1
02-15-2014, 04:16 AM
I guess I don't pay enough attention to the small shakers. We have had tinny 4 quakes in the years I lived in NC mountains that got peoples attention around me and dummy me never new anything happened. This one did not reach our area.

muggsy
02-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Last night when we were in bed my wife said that she thought she felt the earth move. Well I'll be damned. She sensed it all the way here in Ohio! She said it felt like a ten on the Richter Scale.

berettabone
02-15-2014, 09:31 AM
The only one I have felt, is when Scott Walker won the recall............................

JERRY
02-15-2014, 10:09 AM
im on the Al./Ga. state line and didn't feel anything.....

muggsy
02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
It's all this damn fracking that causing the earth to move. The cows ain't given enough milk either. (The world according to Gore.) :)