PDA

View Full Version : New member from north Texas

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. W5JCK is my amateur radio (ham) call sign. My name is Jack. I've been shooting for over four decades now. I just took the Texas CHL course and filed myTexas CHL application a few weeks ago. Hopefully my CHL will be issued in 2 to 3 months.

My first semi-auto pistol way back in the 1970s was a Series 70 Colt 1911 .45. Hard to beat the old Browning design that keeps working well after more than a century later. The guy was a genius for the 1911 as well as so many other guns he designed.

I've pretty much been a Glock guy since the early 1990s. I've owned a bunch of them over the years. I currently have a Glock 19 Gen4.

Anyway, I just bought my first Kahr this week, a CW9. Cabelas in Fort Worth had them on sale for $349.99. It is perhaps the best fitting handgun to my hand I've ever owned. It reminds me a lot of the 1911 style pistols, but a lot safer to carry IMO. I haven't made it to the range yet, but I've followed many suggestions on this and other Kahr forums. I disassembled the CW9 and cleaned it well and lubricated it well. I have racked the slide 200+ times to help break in that super strong spring! That really helped a lot BTW. I then disassembled it again and cleaned and lubricated it again. I can't wait to take it to the range. I really love that trigger and the feel of the CW9 in my hand.

I bought a Blackhawk black leather IWB holster for it. It is the one with a snap shut belt loop and an adjustable cant. It looks like a really well made holster. It was pretty tight fitting, so I followed a suggestion in one of the forums and put my CW9 in a sock and shoved it as far into the holster as I could, then left it there for 24 hours. It stretched out the holster to just the right tightness. I'm going to follow another hint I saw in a Youtube video long ago that suggested pushing into a new holster then removing the firearm at least 200 times to get the holster to form a track in the leather specific to your handgun.

Well I'm glad to be here in the forum and look forward to participating. I've already gleaned a lot of useful information and can hopefully offer some as well.

Jack

rjt123
02-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk from down in Corpus Christi! Always nice to have another Texan aboard.

When I took my CHL class, it seemed like it took fo-EV-ah before I finally got "the plastic" in the mail. After your license comes in, you'll have to tell us how the Wally Walk goes. ;)

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Welcome to KahrTalk from down in Corpus Christi! Always nice to have another Texan aboard.

When I took my CHL class, it seemed like it took fo-EV-ah before I finally got "the plastic" in the mail. After your license comes in, you'll have to tell us how the Wally Walk goes. ;)

Thanks, and howdy! Yep, I was thinking that since they cut the course time in half that more people would be rushing to get their CHL thus making the wait period longer. My CHL instructor and the fingerprint lady both told me that they are hearing that the wait time is approximately 2 to 3 months right now. I took the CHL course way back in 1996? when the length was 10 hours, but for whatever reasons never applied for the CHL. This new 4 hour course was much easier to sit through!

Selcouth
02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Welcome from a fellow North Texan. I'm taking my CHL course tomorrow and anxious to get my "plastic" just in time for summer. Any tips for tomorrow?

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Welcome from a fellow North Texan. I'm taking my CHL course tomorrow and anxious to get my "plastic" just in time for summer. Any tips for tomorrow?

Just be relaxed! The course is brief and easy to pass. The qualification shooting is done at 3 yards (20 rounds), 7 yards (20 rounds), and 10 yards (10 rounds). You only need 175 points out of a possible 250 and you will most likely score those points before you have to shoot from 10 yards. I had a score of 200 after shooting at 3 and 7 yards, and a score of 247 at the end of qualifying.

rjt123
02-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Just be relaxed! The course is brief and easy to pass. The qualification shooting is done at 3 yards (20 rounds), 7 yards (20 rounds), and 10 yards (10 rounds). You only need 175 points out of a possible 250 and you will most likely score those points before you have to shoot from 10 yards. I had a score of 200 after shooting at 3 and 7 yards, and a score of 247 at the end of qualifying.

Ditto. Nothing to it...you'll do just fine.

When I did the shooting qualification, I only had 1 round out of the 8 ring. It was a flyer that was on the paper but totally missed the silhouette. I'm convinced it came from the guy next to me who was struggling with the Taurus Judge he brought to qualify with. :(

The classroom portion is equally easy. Just stay awake and you'll do great. The guy that did the instruction in my CHL class made sure we all heard and understood the key questions that would be on the test. Anyway, as I said earlier, the toughest part of the whole thing was waiting for the mailman to deliver the license. And I have to tell you that the Wally Walk was a transformative life event for me.

laserfish
02-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Welcome from another Mid-Cities member. Have to get my CHL renewed this year. Loved my first Kahr so much I bought two more!

W5JCK
02-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Welcome from another Mid-Cities member. Have to get my CHL renewed this year. Loved my first Kahr so much I bought two more!

Thanks. BTW the new law that went into effect in September 2013 means you won't have to take a renewal course or qualify on the range. All you have to do now to renew is send your renewal fee to the state. Pretty sweet deal. No more paying for a renewal course. :)

HAP1978
02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the forum Jack. Always great to see another person join the ranks.

I was the same way for a lot of years, I was always a Glock guy until I held a Kahr for the first time, now I own three of them.

jdlott74
02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Welcome from myself and jlottmc. We are also in DFW.

itsthelaw
02-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Welcome from NC!