PDA

View Full Version : replaced magazine springs, OUCH

olympicmotorcars
02-22-2014, 05:01 PM
O.K. I just replaced the magazine springs in 2 magazines even though they may not have needed it. Wow, what a job, I am typing with 2 fingers while I nurse my blisters on my thumbs. I thought they sent the wrong ones at first. I finally learned to compressed them coil by coil to shorten them before I even tried to put them in the magazine. It was a struggle all the way, I predict I will not be doing this again any time soon.

I think I am now firmly in the camp of leave magazines alone if they are functioning fine.

The factory must have a jig to compress them into the magazine.

GEARHEAD_ENG
02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Did you use a nail through the sight holes to hold the spring as you compress it? That seams to help on mine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kerby9mm
02-22-2014, 06:09 PM
I disassemble my mags on both my mk9 & mk40 after a range trip to clean them. I really don't have a problem re assembling them. I use the flat piece eith the dimple to compress them into the mag tube then slide on the plate. I lie them on a table & push on the mag tube to keep it from sliding up. I admit I did have some trouble on my first attempts.

olympicmotorcars
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
I did use a small punch through the witness holes to help hold the spring .

these new springs are much longer and stiffer than my old springs that had relaxed and taken a set.

It was really an ordeal let me tell you.

Bawanna
02-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Would you describe it as kind of like a monkey trying to have it's way with a football? I've wrestled a few mag springs and that comparison kind of popped into my head.

Is that normble?

wyntrout
02-22-2014, 09:51 PM
These are the longest I've seen... from the 8-rounders, but the springs are the same, supposedly, for the 7-8 round 9mm & .40 mags.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2203&stc=1&d=1281383605

You can see that the springs are twice as long as the tubes. These are new mags with springs uncompressed by loading with bullets. I've never had to resort to using nails and pins with Kahr mags. I just compress and push the springs in with my strong hand while taking up and holding with the thumb of my weak hand, with my weak hand holding the tube pointing away from me.

Wynn:D

yqtszhj
02-23-2014, 07:10 AM
I've shot those mag springs across the room more than once. After that I spend time looking for the lock for the mag base plate.

muggsy
02-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Would you describe it as kind of like a monkey trying to have it's way with a football? I've wrestled a few mag springs and that comparison kind of popped into my head.

Is that normble?

No offense intended Bawanna, but some people can make the simplest of tasks seem difficult. I won't mention any names. :)

yqtszhj
02-23-2014, 07:28 AM
No offense intended Bawanna, but some people can make the simplest of tasks seem difficult. I won't mention any names. :)

Now that could start something funny:

Jocko - Keyboard

Me- spelling (auto spell check works wonders until you substitute fart for part and the it doesn't catch it. example: it's just a fart of life.)

Anyone else???

bob98366
02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
The nail or a jeweler's screwdriver in one of the holes works great to reduce the flying spring potential. For the truly klutzy, add a gallon sized zip lock bag to do it in, or in a shower stall as someone posted a while back.

Not sure why Kahr requires such tension, S&W and HiPoint mag springs are trivially easy to work with.

olympicmotorcars
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Is that normble?

Yeah, that's pretty accurate Bwanna

jocko
02-23-2014, 02:51 PM
the nail thing in the last witness hole from the bottom will solve most of these little piddly complaints. Certain u will not loose springs, .

Compress the spring as far as u can and just inser tthe nail in the last hole and u have now a peace of cake left to installd the floor plate..