PDA

View Full Version : Gun powder

knkali
02-22-2014, 08:57 PM
How are the prices? Is it hard to find now? I don't reload but I was told a problem in getting powder is brewing yet again(?) and expect more ammo probs coming at us.

Bob T
02-23-2014, 05:51 AM
How are the prices? Is it hard to find now? I don't reload but I was told a problem in getting powder is brewing yet again(?) and expect more ammo probs coming at us.

I actually think it is getting better...I couldn't find any pistol powders at all last fall, but last month I found some at a local gun show. The guy had cases of Green Dot and Titegroup.
I only bought a pound of each, $21 and $23 respectively, as I still had a couple pounds of other powders...and I don't want to be another hoarder...(because hoarders are the problem with ammo and components)

I am also seeing more on the shelves of my LGSs....

muggsy
02-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Alliant powders are still a bit hard to find in my area, but others are in good supply. Prices seem about normal.

Planedude
02-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Primers have been the issue locally in Texas. Remember that if your reloading to save money, then the saving mostly happen if buying in bulk.
Primers 5k+ at a time, powder in 8lbs kegs and bullets in 500+ stashes.
When reloading shotshells (for me) it was very important to buy big...

Hazmat fees are a kink in the low cost chain. Good luck, reloading can be rewarding if you have the space/place to enjoy it.

340pd
02-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I have reasonable access to primers and powder. 1lb. cans of some brands are harder to find. 99% of my reloading can be done with Unique or 231. Just over $20/lb Primers are running just over $30/M at my local LGS.

A friend of mine is big time into commercial reloading and has now contracted with Russian suppliers for powder and primers, at truckloads per order. He casts his own bullets and sends them out for plating. I guess I can go to him for a handful of primers and powder if I get low.

We talk about shortages, and in this guys world an order for several hundred thousand rounds is nothing. Check out training facilities where they require you to bring 2000 rounds for a week long class. 50 students per class = 100,000 rounds gone by just 50 people in a week. Ammo numbers are staggering.

Selcouth
02-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Prices have been dropping around me and shelves are being stocked fairly well.

knkali
02-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Interesting because I was talking to a commercial reloader who said he is having problems getting powder and to be wary of another ammo shortage. Could have been hype so he can sell more rnds......

garyb
02-23-2014, 08:53 AM

From my experience, the components seem spotty in different areas. Prices are up slightly, but not that significant just yet. If you can find what you use, buy a little extra to have on hand.

downtownv
02-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Alliant powders are still a bit hard to find in my area, but others are in good supply. Prices seem about normal.

My favorite, had to go with Tite Group for $175 8#