PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet combat obsolete?

Armybrat
02-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Not yet:

The British Army mounted bayonet charges during the Falklands War (see Battle of Mount Tumbledown), the Second Gulf War, and the war in Afghanistan. In 2004 in Iraq at the Battle of Danny Boy, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders bayonet-charged mortar positions filled with over 100 Mahdi Army members. The ensuing hand-to-hand fighting resulted in an estimate of over 40 insurgents killed and 35 bodies collected (many floated down the river) and nine prisoners. Sergeant Brian Wood, of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, was awarded the Military Cross for his part in the battle.

British forces in Afghanistan have used bayonets many times. In 2009, Lieutenant James Adamson, aged 24, of the Royal Regiment of Scotland was awarded the Military Cross for a bayonet charge whilst on a tour of duty in Afghanistan: after shooting one Taliban fighter dead Adamson had run out of ammunition when another enemy appeared. He immediately charged the second Taliban fighter and bayoneted him. In September 2012, Lance Corporal Sean Jones of The Princess of Wales's Regiment was awarded the Military Cross for his role in a bayonet charge which took place in October 2011.

knkali
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
interesting. I never thought about it until now.

jocko
02-27-2014, 10:52 AM
OK, dumb question, so we have a bayonet charge, now do u think I am gonna do the same fokking thing whenI can pull the trigger at 50 yards or 25 or for that matter with my baynet on my gun and the a$$wipe is 5 feet from me. I think I would as long as I had a round in thegun pull the trigger.

I can't see watching a buch of sh!theads coing at me 200 yards away with bayonets on there gun and terllin my troops to put on ur baynet and lets kick ass. Just sayin.

a bullet at 25yards trumps a bayone ay time, actually a bullet at 5 feet trumps a bayonet. Just sayin.

are we assume that both siade are now completly out of ammo???

muggsy
02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
My uncle John who fought on Okinawa and Iwo Jima said the the only time he saw a fellow Marine use a bayonet was to open a can of Spam. He did see a few Marines use their fighting knifes on the enemy. He also told me that the only rule of engagement at that time was, kill Japs.

jocko
02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
today we should practice the same rules of engageent instead of our troops having to call the pentegon and talk to Hillary to see if they can shoot a BG will bombs straped on him.

muggsy
03-01-2014, 05:59 AM
+1 Jocko, +1.

jocko
03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
My uncle John who fought on Okinawa and Iwo Jima said the the only time he saw a fellow Marine use a bayonet was to open a can of Spam. He did see a few Marines use their fighting knifes on the enemy. He also told me that the only rule of engagement at that time was, kill Japs.

uncle by the name of John who fount on Okinawa. Hopefully we are even closely related:59::59::59: My uncle was white though Muggs. and had all his thumbs and teeth..

Armybrat
03-02-2014, 09:05 AM
One of my cousins was on Okinawa. In the waning days of the great battle he was standing close by General Simon Bolivar Buckner when an enemy mortar round hit next to them, killing the General and severely wounding my cousin (he lost a lung).

AIRret
03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

The rules of engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan are ridiculous. Soooooo many
Americans have died because of them.
"Lone Survivor" the Marcus Latrelle's story really put Rules of engagement in perspective.

jlottmc
03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Marines still train for bayonet fighting. The course is fun as all get out, but if you stop and think about things for a second you know real quick that it just got real when you put that steak knife on your rifle.

knkali
03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
The rules of engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan are ridiculous. Soooooo many
Americans have died because of them.
"Lone Survivor" the Marcus Latrelle's story really put Rules of engagement in perspective.

Lone Survivor is a must read.

DKD
03-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Guys I am an old ex Army Airborne Infantry type. The shoulder patch at the "Infantry School" is one of the bayonet and it says "Follow Me"....there is a good reason for it.
It instills courage in the user and the fear of God in the enemy. There is something about getting up close and personal when all else goes to hell in a hand basket.....they just plain don't like COLD STEEL!
Nuff said....class dismissed!

"Kill them all God knows his own" Death from Above, Airborne "ALL THE WAY"