PDA

View Full Version : CM9 holster suggestion?

Allen
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I've been reading several of the current posts on suggestions for a holster to fit a Kahr PM9/CM9. I currently have an Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster I use for OWB carry on my Beretta 85 .380, which will also work for my CM9 when I wish to carry it on the outside of my jeans.

I am 76, practically am always in Levi jeans, and usually wear my shirts on the outside of my jeans. I would like a fairly soft type holster I can wear IWB probably about in the 4-5 o'clock area (about in the small area of my back between the hip and back bone). Since I had a new right hip about 2 years ago wearing inside the jeans in the 2-4 o'clock area isn't very comfortable. Right now I'm carrying it in my right hand rear pocket whenever I feel the need to "carry" but it's fairly slow retreiving it and hard sitting on.

I don't think I'd ever have to need to fast draw (still who knows) but I'd like to at least be able to grab it somewhat quick. Don't have any experience trying to re-holster the gun in a real soft collaspable holster so not sure if that would cause me any problem since I already have my CC permit and wouldn't be doing anymore consistant drawing for the test.

Has anyone purchased a holster for roughly my situation, and not have a drawer full of holsters before finding the perfect one? I know from reading all the Threads/posts that everyone has their own opinion for a good one but hopefully someone will be close to my problem.

chrish
03-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I used to carry Kydex IWB but found it pretty uncomfortable. But quite a few folks here swear by their PJ Holsters. Pretty thin Kydex and what looks to be a great design. If you want Kydex, I have to think that's the way to go based on tons of feedback I've seen about those here.

I personally have converted completely to Remora holsters for IWB carry. They are 'sticky' and stay put right were you place them. They work pretty well even w/o a belt, but with a belt they are the cats pajamas if you ask me. I love mine. They make a reinforced version that stays open (works really well) for reholstering. It's a tad bit thicker as a result, but it works wonderfully. Because they are soft, they are super comfortable and with your potential discomfort issues b/c of your hip, might be a good way to go.

Nice thing about a Remora is that it's $25-$30 and they are great with returns if it really doesn't work for you. Kydex is gonna set you back twice that, or more. But you should still be able to return those if they don't work. I've yet to run across a holster company that didn't have good service in that regard. Competition is fierce in the kydex space, so many good options, so they all have to allow for that I suppose.

Anyway. Not much of a fan of the hybrid holsters (leather/fabric backed, kydex front). Never found one that fit me all that well. N82 came closest, but still didn't do it for me. But I'm sure someone can jump in and provide some thoughts/input on that design.

kwh
03-02-2014, 04:37 AM
67 yrs old. Hips and shoulder hurt sometimes but doing well other wise. My experience . I wear tucked in shirts and casual pants.. IWB single clips all seem to shift a little bit, PJ Ramora N82 etc . PJ Kydex= quick and convenient N82 comfortable. Ramora able to change cant. A little difficult for me to rotate my wrist for 5:00 position. PJ will make different cants. Hybrids double clips, are more stable and Hybrids will allow for cant adjustments. I Prefer all leather , not Kydex, hybrids. All need good belts except Ramora. OWB is more comfortable for me than any IWB and that is what I use when I have a long tailed untucked shirt,and wear it at the 3:00 position. If you wear pleated Dockers instead of jeans you can front pocket carry CM9 if most of your time is standing. That is the most comfortable to carry and draw for me and what I use 90% of the time. Also consider a pouch holster at the 12:00 position. Convenient, more comfortable than one would think and does not depend on a belt. Easy draw without having to reach around to 5:00. I am blessed. Perfect wife, perfect dog, perfect carry pistol, still searching for perfect holster.

RevRay
03-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Perfect wife, perfect dog, perfect carry pistol, still searching for perfect holster.

That pretty much says it all.

Selcouth
03-02-2014, 04:53 PM
I use versacarry for my SP2022. I was sold on it the minute I tried it. I say this cause with my body build I was having a difficult time concealing since the barrel is 4" long. Not the case with the versacarry. It's comfortable and conceals any weapon easy. The only con I have found is reholistering as the whole thing has to come off your pants, but that shouldn't be an issue when carrying as you probably aren't unholstering daily in public. For a DA or DA/SA semiauto with a long trigger pull its perfect. I would recommend wearing a shirt underneath to keep the gun from contacting skit.

You can find them at Gander mountain and even purchase on Amazon. Here's a link to the manufactures website:
http://www.versacarry.com

Glock Holiday
03-02-2014, 05:15 PM
I have a few different holsters but my favorite front pocket holster for my PM9 is the De Santis superfly.
For an outside holster I have a Bladetech.

RevRay
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm providing the following simply to add more confusion to the mix ... look at the Stays Put from Concealment Specialties. They're inexpensive and are good for pocket or IWB.

Sheepdog689
03-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Just got my N82 professional model for my CM9, it's very comfortable and the polycarbonate part of the holster is thinner than Kydex and allows for easy reholstering.

I'm 59 with a little bit of a muffin top and it's still comfortable to carry.

feedramp
03-02-2014, 06:14 PM
I purchased the "Original Nate Squared Tactical" holster for my CM9 from N82 Tactical.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/jeffdavis_photos/vl7Eexe.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/jeffdavis_photos/media/vl7Eexe.jpg.html)

codegeek
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Desantis Pocket Tuck is good for pocket carry and IWB. For OWB, Desantis, Fobus, and Old Faithful all make nice holsters.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Sheepdog689
03-02-2014, 07:02 PM
If you are looking for an OWB holster, I'm using Comp-Tac paddle holsters for both my Glock 38 and Glock 39. Comp-Tac makes one for the PM9. I checked with them and they said the same holster will fit the CM9.

The Comp-Tac is made of much thicker Kydex than the Fobus....if the Fobus is even Kydex, it may just be some generic plastic. The Comp-Tac is made of a single piece of Kydex that's folded and molded into shape. Simpler design with less things to break or malfunction. The Fobus is multiple pieces riveted together and I'm sure everyone has seen the YouTube video of the guy having a pistol in a Fobus holster ripped off his belt. Not saying it won't happen with the Comp-Tac, but I think it would be more difficult. The Comp-Tac rides higher on the belt than the Fobus which to me equates to better concealment and less chance of hitting the muzzle on a chair when you sit down. (I couldn't figure out how to take photos of myself wearing the holster so you'll have to settle for still life shots below.)

When inserting the pistol into the Comp-Tac it seats with a definite "click" so you know it's in place. The Fobus just slides in and stays there. The Comp-Tac can be adjusted for fit with the allen wrench that comes with the holster.

Overall the Comp-Tac is much more comfortable to wear. I like how it rides higher on the belt, how it's made of thicker material and how it's not riveted together. The only thing that I can find in favor of the Fobus holster at this point is price, it's about 1/2 the cost of the Comp-Tac, but this is really a case of getting what you pay for. The Comp-Tac is a quality holster and they will be getting future business from me when I am in need of another holster.

Fobus holster on the left Comp-Tac on the right:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5007.jpg

Rear view of the paddles. The Fobus has a red rubber insert and has a much longer paddle than the Comp-Tac. The Comp-Tac has a much wider paddle.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5010.jpg

Rear view (Fobus on the left) showing how the holster on the Fobus is riveted to the paddle while the Comp-Tac is a solid piece of Kydex that's folded over. Nothing to break off on the Comp-Tac. The other big thing that I found is that the rounded top of the Comp-Tac is much more comfortable riding against my side. The top of the Fobus is higher and sharper and digs into my side when I sit with the holster on.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5009.jpg

Top view - Fobus on the left
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5008.jpg

Front view - Fobus on the left
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5017.jpg

The Fobus (on left) is held in place by two small wedges on the paddle, one in front and one behind the holster. To keep the paddle from sliding front to rear there's the red rubber piece on the back of the paddle (in photo above) to give the paddle some friction. The Comp-Tac has two "ears" that bend forward on the paddle to keep the holster on the belt and two velcro (the hard half of the velcro) dots that provide friction to keep the paddle from moving fore or aft on the belt.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/TeikasDad/IMG_5016.jpg

kahrlwallace
03-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I like the desantis n87. Good for i/owb.

Badwolf75
03-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm found the N82 Tactical Professional Holster to work the best for me.

Allen
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I appreciate all the great suggestions. I may have to put them all in a hat and draw out one to order.
After watching a YouTube demonstration for one of the holsters, it brought up a question I hadn't really considered. I'm right-handed and since I'm considering wearing a holster IWB in about the 5 o'clock area would you use a right-handed holster or a left-handed one? I thought a right-handed holster, with the handle (and magazine) pointed toward the back-bone, and a slight cant, would be the easiest smoothest to draw from. But the demonstration showed the person drawing right-handed from a left-handed holster (with the handle and magazine pointed away from the back-bone) positioned in the 5 o'clock area, which to me looked awkward having to twist the wrist for the draw then reposition the wrist back around for the firing position. Is this very clear, and does it make any sense at all?