PDA

View Full Version : What Bullet

Tilos
03-04-2014, 09:35 AM
With my recent re-interest in reloading and lurking around the 'net, I see were people are now powder coating lead bullets rather than using the traditional lube.
It seems this started a few years back in Australia, with some cast bullet retailers here now claiming to be using the Australian wonder spray and bake powder.

The benefits are cleaner shooting/cleaner gun/cleaner reloading/less smoke.
Some sellers of these bullets are using the same molds (with lube grooves), but some now are casting bullets without grooves for the spray and bake lube.
I'm looking to keep costs down, even the Precision Delta 9mm bullets I've used in the past are now priced over $100/K and I found these sprayed/baked bullets sold for about $75/K.

Has anyone switched to this type bullet?
I'm not interested in casting/coating of bullets but rather buying powder coated bullets and hearing about anyone's experience with them.
Ken:D

Bawanna
03-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I've never heard of this, sounds like a good idea. I wonder if indoor ranges around here would allow it.

I've got a pile of 45 Colt lead bullets I'd like to load and shoot but the quit allowing lead.

Tilos
03-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I've read a lot about this and recall some ranges now allowing these designer bullets because the lead is incapsulated.
It might be mentioned in one of the threads here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives
Remember with these guys are more about making bullets than shooting them:der:

Some discussion here, with these guys it's more about shooting mass quantities of bullets:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146561

I've ordered some 115TC/9mm from this guy because without the lube grooves I think I can feed them thru a bullet feeder die:D
http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Note the name:bump2:

Tilos
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I shot with this guy when I lived in Jax...back when I could still see the front site:(
https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/Product_Store.php

muggsy
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I like their slogan. :)

mr surveyor
03-04-2014, 08:49 PM
I've been using Donnie Miculek's Bayou Bullets for about 2-1/2 years in .38spl, .357mag, .44mag and .45acp. His biggest orders, I believe, are still from competition shooters, but still sell in small lots to the "little people" like me:D

I don't know how many years he's been operating, but it's been several, and he uses the Aussie dry lube coating. I've about decided it may be cost effective to go ahead and add 9mm dies for my one and only 9mm CW9 (and for my son to borrow the dies for his one 9mm CM9), so in a few weeks when the business economy perks a bit, I'll be ordering another supply of my original four gatorsnot coated bullet choices and a couple thousand of his 124 gr 9mm bullets.

They are as easy to load as any plated bullet, and can be pushed as hard (in my limited experience). I haven't asked Mr. Donnie if he will "special size" them, but so far my guns have done fine with his standard .01 over bore sizing. Pushed at standard cast lead velocities, I've experienced very little to no leading, and definitely no "lube smoke".

BayouBullets.net/ .... if you're interested.

JD

mr surveyor
03-04-2014, 08:50 PM
double tapped the post

Tilos
03-05-2014, 08:48 AM
mr surveyor:
Thanks for the info
Ken

mr surveyor
03-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Ken

If the bullets fit your bore, I think you will be impressed.

JD

jocko
03-05-2014, 04:09 PM
I've never heard of this, sounds like a good idea. I wonder if indoor ranges around here would allow it.

I've got a pile of 45 Colt lead bullets I'd like to load and shoot but the quit allowing lead.

big deal with 45 bullets, ???? They are reusable, arent they:amflag:

Bawanna
03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Old goat.

garyb
03-06-2014, 06:40 AM
With my recent re-interest in reloading and lurking around the 'net, I see were people are now powder coating lead bullets rather than using the traditional lube.
It seems this started a few years back in Australia, with some cast bullet retailers here now claiming to be using the Australian wonder spray and bake powder.

The benefits are cleaner shooting/cleaner gun/cleaner reloading/less smoke.
Some sellers of these bullets are using the same molds (with lube grooves), but some now are casting bullets without grooves for the spray and bake lube.
I'm looking to keep costs down, even the Precision Delta 9mm bullets I've used in the past are now priced over $100/K and I found these sprayed/baked bullets sold for about $75/K.

Has anyone switched to this type bullet?
I'm not interested in casting/coating of bullets but rather buying powder coated bullets and hearing about anyone's experience with them.
Ken:D

I have not tried them yet Tilos, but they are on my to do list for the future. I've read about them on this forum and I don't see why they would pose any problems. My current supply of Precision Delta is good, but when they are used up, I may give these coated bullets a try to see how they shoot.

Tilos
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I hear you gb, I loaded all my PD bullets a few years ago, but I have brass left:D.
I had a brain fart and ordered 115gr, knowing the 125's shoot better in all my 9mm.
They have arrived and I'm hopeful the longer straight .356 diameter, longer than any jacketed or lead I've loaded in the past, will help them shoot better.
The bases have a concave hollow that makes me think they are swaged rather that cast:confused:
Hpoefully they will feed thru the Hornady bullet feeder die that's made to feed .355 dia. jacketed stuff.
They feed something like this: :bump2:
Only vertical :blushing:

Tilos
03-08-2014, 11:47 AM
OK, I have gotten these bullets to feed thru the Hornady bullet feeding die, now I have to dial in the Lee powder thru the expander die:roll:.
This setup will let me load a case, pull the lever, repeat, and no lead means no more gloves:biggrin1:

mr surveyor
03-08-2014, 05:07 PM
what are the gloves for?

Tilos
03-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Cast bullet lead to fingers, then too...
I don't eat it but I have been known to suck my thumb now and then :behindsofa: