PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Frog Lube?

walkbyfaith
03-05-2014, 05:59 AM
I am looking into a new solvent/lube to use for my firearms. Hoppes is proven to work and has for a long time, but the smell is just over powering.
I have heard a ton of good things from Frog Lube and just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.
Also you can list what else you recommend to clean and lube firearms.

muggsy
03-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Nope, frogs are slippery enough the way they come. I use Hoppes for an aftershave.

berettabone
03-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I love the smell of Hoppe's in the morning, along with gunpowder, coffee, and bacon.......................

muggsy
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
I am looking into a new solvent/lube to use for my firearms. Hoppes is proven to work and has for a long time, but the smell is just over powering.
I have heard a ton of good things from Frog Lube and just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.
Also you can list what else you recommend to clean and lube firearms.

I hate being serious for even a moment, but I've heard that frog lube is a very good product. I haven't tried it, but know from research that it isn't compatible with petroleum based products. They recommend stripping the gun with a solvent, using the product sparingly and applying it using heat. YouTube is full of info on Frog Lube.

timmy
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Nope Break free CLP and super lube grease on the rails

walkbyfaith
03-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I figure most guys like to use some sort of grease on the rails, but looking at the paste of the frog lube I might give it a shot. My father in law has some, I could use some of his before purchasing, its kind of expensive.

berettabone
03-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Save your cash......................they been using oil on firearms since time began. Use it for more ammo. They have come out with so many different lubes, it's hard to keep track. I've been using oil for 40+ years, and my firearms do not show any excess wear.

Longitude Zero
03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Way too messy and gummy for me. Hoppes and Tetra Gun products for me.

340pd
03-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I started using it on all my polymer semi autos and all my revolvers over a year ago. It has worked well for me. The firearm clean up is much easier, and the workroom does have a better odor. I noticed a big change in cleaning barrels and chambers using Frog Lube vs. anything solvent based product.
Yes, you do have to strip the gun free of solvents before applying. Easy enough with a can of gun scrubber. I applied a couple of applications of FL and used a heat gun to liquify the product each time. Do not use solvent with the Frog Lube product. It is one or the other.

Does it work? I don't know. I do know, I have no visible wear issues, and no longer worry about grease and oil on my clothing from my carry guns. They also wipe free of residue and fingerprints with a Microfiber towel that I use especially for my Frog Lubed guns.

Why don't use it on my 1911's or Sig 226? I am a bit afraid. The Sig loves grease and I run my 1911 guns very wet.
YMMV

GROTMAN
03-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I use Hoppes Elite to clean my guns. It works well and there is no odor at all. Also use Hoppes oil where needed and Shooters Choice grease for the rails. Have heard good things about Frog Lube though and have been tempted to try it but have over 4000 problem free rounds through my pm 9 and afraid might jinx myself if I change anything now. ;) Let us know which route you go and how it works out.

chrish
03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
CLP break free, tetra gun grease.

berettabone
03-05-2014, 05:50 PM
You can also use Trojan his or her pleasure, who's ever doing the shooting.

Ugly_Dog
03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I use and LOVE Frog Lube!! Heat is the secret to success.I do have an old 1894 Winchester 30-30 that still uses Hoppes and Gungrease but ALL my other weapons have Frog Lube and perform great!

TucsonMTB
03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Yep! But, just on our two J-frame revolvers. After shooting, I especially like being able to completely clean the cylinder, charge holes, and barrel with just a little brushing and wiping before leaving the range.

Everything else that we shoot already has successful, long established, cleaning and lubricating routines using odorless, or nearly odorless, conventional lubricants. So, I see no need to changes.

While I like the way Frog Lube works on the revolvers, the initial cleaning and application was a bit of a PITA because of the need to first degrease and then heat all of the parts.

However, since applying a virtually invisible film of Frog Lube to the internals and inner frame surfaces several hundred rounds ago, the lockwork does seem to work more smoothly.

Based on experience to date, I don't expect them to need any additional attention in the foreseeable future. That's a good thing. ;)

MarkT
03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I am also a fan of frog lube. I've been using it for over a year now, on all of my firearms, and it works very well.

trooplewis
03-07-2014, 09:23 PM
The best thing about cleaning firearms is Hoppes cologne.
It's like memories in a bottle.

happypuppy
04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
The stuff works. Easier to keep clean smooth action. Not saying it's magic , but the cleanup and CLP protection , not that nauseating smell have me sold.

Just ' bout the action Boss...

nuke
04-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I actually posted in the tech section about CLP evaporating after my CW9 had sat for about 3 months and was dry when I disassembled it and one of the responses included info that it evaporates within as little as 2 weeks. I have some M Pro7 that I'm not sure of being any better as well as some Hoppe's oil but I'll be researching an oil that will last beyond a month or 3...

bobandmikako
04-07-2014, 05:07 AM
I've been using Froglube for about a year now. I like it. It's not any better than the other products I've used over the years as far as performance, but I like that it's dry to the feel, doesn't smell bad and is non-toxic. I also like that clean up seems easier after you use it the first couple of times. Nothing seems to stick to it. Residue wipes off easily. I use it on all steel guns and those with polymer and alloy frames. Seems to work well for all of them. Guns show no additional wear. I shoot quite a bit.

lamppa
04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
doesn't smell bad

That's a plus. The synthetic grease I use is for cars and it stinks. Plus, the last time I went shooting, I holsered the CM9 between reloads. I got black grease on one of my good shirts. If it had been clear, not so much of an issue.
Guess that's what I get for wearing a good shirt.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

DanTana
04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I've used Frog Lube, bought a small sample of it. Admittedly, I don't believe I used it correctly because I didn't heat the gun up first. I just cleaned the gun normally, then applied the Frog Lube, it does have a somewhat pleasant odor. I don't know if I would make it my permanently used lube or not. I like synthetic based oils/grease that are not made from dinosaurs. I've worked on many cars that had non-synthetic and synthetic oil ran through it and if you ever seen one that had been run with synthetic you would never go back to non-synthetic oil again.

downtownv
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Astro-Glide for getting into tight places!