PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Michigan

Tomorray
03-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Hello Ladies And Gentlemen:

New forum reader here, awaiting delivery of a new P380. I took a bit of a leap of faith in ordering this pistol as I've never actually held a Kahr in my hands before and based my purchase soley on what information I read and viewed online. My fervent hope is the pistol performs as expected and becomes a valued and trusted option in my limited arsenal.

I also hope that I can eventually persuade my wife to become interested in shooting it. She's never shot anything before and without the discovery of one of her long time friends admitting to her that HER husband owns handguns and she's used them on rare occasions, I'm going to gently suggest she give the Kahr a try.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to exchanging viewpoints, thoughts, and comments on the forum here and hope you call can edu-ma-cate me on all things Kahr!

RRP
03-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Welcome aboard, Tomorray. Congratulations on your purchase.

Browse the tech section for tips on cleaning and lubricating your new pistol. These instructions have enhanced the shooting experience of many new owners.

The P380 may not be the best choice for your wife, if she is a first-time shooter. A small package is not always the easiest to handle and to shoot. Approach this with caution.

berettabone
03-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Welcome................usually I would discourage someone from purchasing a firearm with out handling it first. In this case, you're excused. I don't think it would be a very good first choice for the wife to shoot. I think a revolver could be a good start. Ignoring my own advice, I took a different route with my wife. The first firearm she ever shot was my Beretta 96. After the first few flinches, she got a good feel of the power. Now, everything else, no more flinching, and we're working on accuracy. Shot the flinch right out of her. Doesn't work for everyone, and most would say it's not a good way to start, but works for us.

Bill K
03-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a big fan of pocket .380s and I believe the P380 to be one of if not the best you can buy.

Bawanna
03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Just go slow with your missus and keep it fun at all cost.
I tried for years to get my wife shooting and she wouldn't budge. Then one day we're up in the mountains driving around in the snow and I decided to shoot my little Colt Cobra 38, didn't even ask as she'd never do it before. Well as I shot the last of the 38 ammo she ask me what it is I'm shooting.
My first thought was is this a trick question. It's a gun? She said what kind? I said Colt? Then the light although dim kind of popped on. She asked if it was big? I said not really. Do you want to shoot it? She said yes. Well crap!

No more booolits! Grfrrr. All I had was my Ruger Super Blackhawk but I did have some relatively mild handloads. So long story short that was her first rodeo shooting. I only had one set of ear protection and eye protection so I couldn't really stay in close and hold my arms over hers as I generally do with new shooters to make sure they don't hit themselves in the face.

I think she closed her eyes the first few shots and then excitedly asked if she'd hit it. Didn't even have a target up. I told her you indeed did hit it provided you were aiming east at the hillside.

Turns out she wanted to shoot but she did not want to shoot when anyone else was around to watch.
Now she carries a J Frame on her person all the time. Doesn't shoot nearly enough as I'd prefer but then neither do I lately.

Try alone, keep it fun and make her a convert.

Tell her to give it a go and she can become a bawanna cyber bride. I don't think I have any in Michigan.

skiflydive
03-15-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm in kalamazoo and have a P380 that's simply fantastic. There are several MI Kahr owners on this board.

AIRret
03-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Just go slow with your missus and keep it fun at all cost.
I tried for years to get my wife shooting and she wouldn't budge. Then one day we're up in the mountains driving around in the snow and I decided to shoot my little Colt Cobra 38, didn't even ask as she'd never do it before. Well as I shot the last of the 38 ammo she ask me what it is I'm shooting.
My first thought was is this a trick question. It's a gun? She said what kind? I said Colt? Then the light although dim kind of popped on. She asked if it was big? I said not really. Do you want to shoot it? She said yes. Well crap!

No more booolits! Grfrrr. All I had was my Ruger Super Blackhawk but I did have some relatively mild handloads. So long story short that was her first rodeo shooting. I only had one set of ear protection and eye protection so I couldn't really stay in close and hold my arms over hers as I generally do with new shooters to make sure they don't hit themselves in the face.

I think she closed her eyes the first few shots and then excitedly asked if she'd hit it. Didn't even have a target up. I told her you indeed did hit it provided you were aiming east at the hillside.

Turns out she wanted to shoot but she did not want to shoot when anyone else was around to watch.
Now she carries a J Frame on her person all the time. Doesn't shoot nearly enough as I'd prefer but then neither do I lately.

Try alone, keep it fun and make her a convert.

Tell her to give it a go and she can become a bawanna cyber bride. I don't think I have any in Michigan.

Alright BawwanAAAAA!!….I live in Souteast Michigan!
You sure know how to get yourself in trouble1

AIRret
03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Hey Tomorray, welcome aboard.
I live in Southeast MI (Chesterfield TWP) and I would be more than happy to help introduce your wife to shooting. Sometimes when it comes to shooting it's easier for a new shooter who is a women to learn from another woman. I have a variety of handguns,
one of which is a 22 semi that is very gentle.
Anyway, think about it and PM me if you think it might work.

Bawanna
03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I meant to say only my special cyber brides resided in Michigan and your border line considered transient since your on the road so much.
Your my best girl, are we still ok?

Long as your traveling you should visit the NW and visit. Be my first cyber bride I've ever met in person.

Bawanna
03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Hey Tomorray, welcome aboard.
I live in Southeast MI (Chesterfield TWP) and I would be more than happy to help introduce your wife to shooting. Sometimes when it comes to shooting it's easier for a new shooter who is a women to learn from another woman. I have a variety of handguns,
one of which is a 22 semi that is very gentle.
Anyway, think about it and PM me if you think it might work.

If I get the operation would I qualify for this one on one instruction too? I mean strictly teacher / student relationship, we don't have to become lebanese or anything like that.

AIRret
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
All is Forgiven!!!!!!!!
And Lord willing we will be on the road again, but it will be awhile.

However, you are right about the road. Between the Air Force and some extended RV travel in retirement I AM gone a lot. And yes if we ever get out your way…we will meet.

Bawanna
03-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Whhooooo, that was a close one boys. Thank goodness I am still the silver tongue devil and dug my way out of that mine field.

jocko
03-15-2014, 04:14 PM
I won't say u made qa mistake buying her that 380 as maybe in the back of ur mind u really want to own it. It is a very difficult gun for a woman to hand rack, unless she is one of the colonels siber wives, they even drive race cars and fly airlanes, but if u have an ordinalry wife who is not gun savvy, u might just own a 380 kahr. Just sayin

Welcome aboard and never a bearer of bad news but one who trys to speak the truth. Go slow with her, . Remember ANYONE can pull the trigger on any loaded semi auto, the rest for a women is hard to do. Hopefully she is not a blonde either, as scientists have found that the blonde dye in a woman hair actually sucks the brain matter out through their ears. what we think is ear wax for a blonde is brain matter. U might want to check that out to. If she is not a blonde then IMO she has a 50-50 chance of making this 380 work. Welcome aboard. It would be best if u pai:amflag:d attention only to ol jocko on this forum. Just sayin

RRP
03-15-2014, 04:18 PM
It would be best if u paind attention only to ol jocko on this forum. Just sayin

He's gonna have to keep a few of us around as translators, for a little while.

AIRret
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
If I get the operation would I qualify for this one on one instruction too? I mean strictly teacher / student relationship, we don't have to become lebanese or anything like that.

What do you mean "LEBANESE" (as if I didn't know)????
I thought our equipment was different!

AIRret
03-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Butt!!!!! if you want to change the equipment I think that is covered under Ovomit Care!!!

jocko
03-15-2014, 04:30 PM

meant lesbians on their knees. Geez an idiot could have figured that out:7:

Bawanna
03-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Well, well, ummm that would be beyond the scope of cyber marriage fine print.

Could get me shot in the back by the real Mr. AIRret. which ain't all bad, that's actually the way I hope to go out. Shot in the back by some jealous 25 year old boyfriend.

Hence the operation to make everything on the up and up as it were.

h2ohhh
03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
My wife does not shoot but I'm hoping she will one day. I don't push it at all with her. But if and when she does decide to try I've learned a valuable lesson from teaching my 19 y.o. daughter, who weighs about 80 pounds. She has no trouble racking and shooting my Sig P238 .380 (any woman can rack that one) but she does not enjoy shooting it. Loves my heavy Walther PPK-S .22. Start them off light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk