PDA

View Full Version : New guy - Michigan - Deciding on first handgun

GoBang
03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm a newbie to the board and a newbie to handguns. I'm married, have 2 kids, and work as a data analyst.

I'm deciding on my first pistol but am 85% convinced I want a Kahr in .40 S&W. While I would love to get a premium model in the future, my first purchase would be either a CW40 or one of the new CT40s.

I also plan to run 180gr ammo in it, unless that presents some kind of a problem for Kahr guns (in which case I'd use 165, nothing lighter).

I realize this is a lot to decide when I haven't fired one of them, but I *am* a data analyst, after all!

So hi everyone. I hope this begins a long run of ownership of Kahr firearms.

berettabone
03-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Welcome.................40 cal. is my favorite caliber to shoot, but not everyone likes it, due to the snappiness of the round. I would suggest that you go, if possible, and try out as many firearms, and calibers that you can find. You wouldn't go and purchase an automobile without test driving it first. You need to find a comfortable, shootable firearm for you. I own 9mm, .40 cal. and .45 cal....the recoil of .40 cal. can be pretty snappy, depending on the firearm, but a lot of .45 shooters will tell you that .45 has less recoil than .40. If you have a local place where you can handle numerous firearms, semi's, revolvers etc., you'll find something that feels right. We all do;) Most of us, more than once;) There is a segment of people out there, that regret their first purchase, because they didn't take their time, and check out many different firearms. Get ahead of the learning curve. The more you can see and feel, the better your decision will be. If you don't have anywhere close, try to find someone you know, who is an owner, that can steer you in the right direction.

kerby9mm
03-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi there Go Bang. I'm in Michigan the Livonia/ Farmington area. How about your location.

GoBang
03-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks berettabone. I have a shop/firing range near my place of work and plan to try some guns there if I can. I want to be able to conceal carry.

On the other hand, I'm balancing that with the reduced capacity of a single-stack gun. So between capacity, size, and power I landed on 180gr .40 S&W. It's simply not in my nature to choose what "feels right." It's my nature to make a decision with logic and then work until it's perfect.

I have no doubt I can become competent - or better - with any caliber I choose. Snappiness? Pain? It'll just make me work that much harder to perfect my accuracy and control.

GoBang
03-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi there Go Bang. I'm in Michigan the Livonia/ Farmington area. How about your location.

I am currently in the Lansing area, and I have lived in Ann Arbor and in South Carolina, previously.

RevRay
03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Beretta had some good advice worth considering. There's nothing wrong with logic ... certainly I would never be one to suggest there is. And I would suggest that it makes very good sense to look for a gun you're comfortable with. It certainly makes more sense than picking one you're not comfortable with. In fact, it could downright dangerous.

GoBang
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Beretta had some good advice worth considering. There's nothing wrong with logic ... certainly I would never be one to suggest there is. And I would suggest that it makes very good sense to look for a gun you're comfortable with. It certainly makes more sense than picking one you're not comfortable with. In fact, it could downright dangerous.

Thanks RevRay. I will heed the advice from both you and Beretta. It's certainly not my intention to be the dangerous one. I have two kids. I don't want to be the one who - if required to - can't place a shot in the right spot or endanger any innocent bystanders.

I've had some pretty damned good accuracy with a rifle, but I know pistols are a different beast. I'll start with 180gr .40, and if I can't comfortably accomplish what I want, I'll consider another weight/caliber option.

h2ohhh
03-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Logic and research aside, many experienced shooters will tell you the single most important thing is how the gun feels in your hand. Glock makes a reliable gun but feels horrible in my hand compared to a Kahr, for example. Likewise, if you have normal sized hands you will discover the grip on a CW-40 leaves your pinkie hanging off the end, whereas a CW-45 enables you to get all fingers on the grip. And the .45 IS softer shooting than the .40. Be sure to do some touchy/feely and if possible, some shooting before you buy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

GoBang
03-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Logic and research aside, many experienced shooters will tell you the single most important thing is how the gun feels in your hand. Glock makes a reliable gun but feels horrible in my hand compared to a Kahr, for example. Likewise, if you have normal sized hands you will discover the grip on a CW-40 leaves your pinkie hanging off the end, whereas a CW-45 enables you to get all fingers on the grip. And the .45 IS softer shooting than the .40. Be sure to do some touchy/feely and if possible, some shooting before you buy.

Good points. My hands are somewhat large, although I have thin fingers. I like the better conceability of the CW40 over the CT40, but I do want something I can get a solid grip on. If I moved to .45 I'd probably run 185gr for the improved velocity (although the bullet density would concern me).

Ultimately, I hope I never have to use it in a defensive situation.
If I do, I hope I have the firepower to deter the attacker.
If I can't deter them, I hope I have the firepower to end the confrontation.
And I hope I never, ever have to kill someone to do it.

DavidR
03-16-2014, 04:02 AM
There is a segment of people out there, that regret their first purchase, because they didn't take their time, and check out many different firearms.

That's me. My first semi-auto was a Glock 27 (compact 40 caliber). The grip was too short and stubby for my hand and the recoil was too much for me. I hated shooting it. Lost some money on trade-in but live and learn.

b4uqzme
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Welcome GoB. Congrats on thinking it through. There's a lot of good advice above.

b4uqzme
03-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Your analysis/logic is correct...40 is a great choice. Just one most of us are hesitant to recommend to a first time shooter. Many find the recoil off-putting so definitely try one out (or a similar .40 if the Kahr isn't available). I know I'm repeating the others but we cannot stress that enough. The fear is that, if you don't like to shoot it, you won't practice enough to become proficient.

Otherwise, owning guns is a journey. Some of which is trial and error. Some of which, to your point, is training and persistence. It's not the end of the world if your first gun doesn't work out. Just trade it in and try another. Or like many of us...just keep buying more and picking your favorites. :)

Protect your family, be safe, and have fun!

berettabone
03-16-2014, 10:17 AM
I leave shooting .40 cal. to full size firearms. I also leave shooting .45 to full size firearms. They are a handful in smaller frame firearms. I have a tendency to be overly analytical myself, but comfort and confidence are very important. Whatever you choose, welcome again to the world of firearms and self preservation.:)

GoBang
03-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. There are a lot of subjective views on caliber/ammo, and my preferences (as they are) are based entirely on academic analysis. So take my views with a huge grain of salt. Also, don't laugh at me too much. ;)

.45 is really designed to work out of a 5" barrel. Dropping to 4" or 3.5" is a pretty big hit on the velocity. And .45 already is a slow ammo. So for the smaller guns I believe 185gr is the best choice.

As for .40... My perspective then, is that if I'm already down to 185 then I may as well keep the extra round, thinner gun and cheaper ammo and shoot 180gr .40S&W which was designed to shoot out of shorter (4") barrels to begin with. Even dropping to 3.5" is only a minor hit to velocity, and the heavier (than 155/165/etc) bullet will travel slower-enough to allow most/all of the powder to ignite behind the bullet before it exits the barrel. The heavier bullet has a greater density, and should offer better penetration. And lastly, most people claim that heavier bullets (for caliber) result in less snap to the recoil (just more "push back"). That sounds like a good option for getting quicker follow-up shots.

I have nothing against 9mm. It's not even "off the table" for me. It just seems to me that if I'm going to have a small, lower-capacity gun on me then I'd better make sure each shot has the most potency possible (or reasonable).

RevRay
03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
And here I thought all you wanted was something that would Go Bang.

GoBang
03-16-2014, 01:44 PM
And here I thought all you wanted was something that would Go Bang.

If I just wanted something to go bang, I'd give my pots and pans to my 1-year old. :D

AIRret
03-16-2014, 04:20 PM
GoBang….there is a Gun Store/Range in Southfield MI that will allow you to rent A CALIBER!!!!!!! It's true and I have never heard of another place that will do that…

This means you can go in there and say; "I want to rent 40 cal"….then you can shoot one two, three, whatever guns all in that caliber. This would definitely give you good info. and help you make a choice!!
The place is; "Action Impact" and they are in Southfield. I know that's a bit of a drive but
if it were me it would be worth it!
Their phone number is (248) 799-7300.
Good Luck

berettabone
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
There have been SO MANY caliber arguments.........................If you analyze data, properly placed shots conquer all........some would argue that if you're going to shoot .40 cal., then you might as well move up to .45.......close in velocities, larger hole. Properly placed 9mm will also due you well. It's what you can shoot accurately, and comfortably, that is the key. It's why I own all three. They all have a purpose.

b4uqzme
03-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. There are a lot of subjective views on caliber/ammo, and my preferences (as they are) are based entirely on academic analysis. So take my views with a huge grain of salt. Also, don't laugh at me too much. ;)

.45 is really designed to work out of a 5" barrel. Dropping to 4" or 3.5" is a pretty big hit on the velocity. And .45 already is a slow ammo. So for the smaller guns I believe 185gr is the best choice.

As for .40... My perspective then, is that if I'm already down to 185 then I may as well keep the extra round, thinner gun and cheaper ammo and shoot 180gr .40S&W which was designed to shoot out of shorter (4") barrels to begin with. Even dropping to 3.5" is only a minor hit to velocity, and the heavier (than 155/165/etc) bullet will travel slower-enough to allow most/all of the powder to ignite behind the bullet before it exits the barrel. The heavier bullet has a greater density, and should offer better penetration. And lastly, most people claim that heavier bullets (for caliber) result in less snap to the recoil (just more "push back"). That sounds like a good option for getting quicker follow-up shots.

I have nothing against 9mm. It's not even "off the table" for me. It just seems to me that if I'm going to have a small, lower-capacity gun on me then I'd better make sure each shot has the most potency possible (or reasonable).

Flawless logic. I commend you. Until you pull the trigger...then one of two things is going to happen:

1) you will pat yourself on the back for making such a sound choice

2) you will start over from scratch because you will feel like you shot your hand off. ;) I remember the first time I shot full-power .357 magnum out of a snubbie revolver. I would have sold that gun for a dollar. :o

I too settled on .40cal as my go-to self defense caliber. The only difference is I took a long time to get there. So maybe you are smart to go there first. But where's the fun in that? :D

downtownv
03-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forum from the Jersey Shore. What's wrong with 9mm?

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm a newbie to the board and a newbie to handguns. I'm married, have 2 kids, and work as a data analyst.

I'm deciding on my first pistol but am 85% convinced I want a Kahr in .40 S&W. While I would love to get a premium model in the future, my first purchase would be either a CW40 or one of the new CT40s.

I also plan to run 180gr ammo in it, unless that presents some kind of a problem for Kahr guns (in which case I'd use 165, nothing lighter).

I realize this is a lot to decide when I haven't fired one of them, but I *am* a data analyst, after all!

So hi everyone. I hope this begins a long run of ownership of Kahr firearms.Welcome fellow Michigander / Michiganian

When I was new to shooting, I thought that a smaller compact gun was the way to go, probably easier to handle and shoot. Boy was I wrong.

It sounds like you have become prematurely preoccupied with stopping power and ballistics. There's time for that latter. Much latter.

I have a reminder for you. You've probably run accross this in your reading. A large bullet or a fast bullet does NOTHING if it doesn't hit the target. You need to worry about shot placement. FBI database stats tell us that Law Enforcement folks hit about 20% of their shots somewhere on the target . This is not an argument for a bigger caliber. It is an argument for training and also simply to remind us this isn't an intellectual book study process.

Practice is important. Practice is expensive. Go with 9 mm. If you want, buy a gun that is easily upgradeable to a .40SW barell from the 9mm. Start with 9 and hope to avoid learning a flinch reaction. Save some money for competent instruction. Repeat that yearly. Save some money for a safe. You have kids.

I'll voice something that won't be popular here, most Kahr guns are not for beginners. There are better, more flexible choices out there.

Try to shoot these:

Glock 19
M&P 9 full size
Walther PPQ M2 -9mm
FNH FNS-9

Buy the one you shoot the best and feels the best. That would include ergonomics for your hand shape and size, felt recoil, ability to reach the trigger with a proper grip and the sights. Not a bad idea to get night sights immediately. My list will very, very likely put a 100% reliable gun in your hands. I own all but the Glock. I have fired it and own three other Glock models.Buy extra mags for training.

Your investment is $500 to $600 with any of these. Spend a like amount or training in the first year. Ammo for adequate practice for a year is around $4000.

Good luck.

RRP
03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I agree with much of your post, RainingAgain.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm curious to hear more about the training you do that consumes $4,000 of ammo, annually.

GoBang
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
I too settled on .40cal as my go-to self defense caliber. The only difference is I took a long time to get there. So maybe you are smart to go there first. But where's the fun in that? :D

Oh, don't worry. I intend to have several more before I'm done. Likely in multiple calibers.

I get what you (and others) are saying. I'll heed the advice and test at least a couple of calibers out. My neighbor has a Springfield XD in 9mm. Maybe I can get him to join me at a range and I'll rent a .40 to compare.

GoBang
03-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Your investment is $500 to $600 with any of these. Spend a like amount or training in the first year. Ammo for adequate practice for a year is around $4000.

Good luck.

Actually, I was pretty convinced I would get a Canik55 C-100 (via Tristar) in 9mm, but then I started drooling over Kahrs. Easy to find them in the $350-375 range. The L-120 with the 4.7" barrel is around the same price. That one's not for conceal carry, but definitely a great house/range gun.

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 05:29 PM
I agree with much of your post, RainingAgain.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm curious to hear more about the training you do that consumes $4,000 of ammo, annually.

I don't reload and pay to shoot indoors three times per week. In the last year, 9mm FMJ has been from $14.50 to $17 per box. I'll shoot some SD rounds and they are $28-31 for 50 online. Even at just 100 annual range trips, ammo (3 boxes per trip at $16, $10 daytime range fee)...well do the math. I'm way over $4000 before any training classes.

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Actually, I was pretty convinced I would get a Canik55 C-100 (via Tristar) in 9mm, but then I started drooling over Kahrs. Easy to find them in the $350-375 range. The L-120 with the 4.7" barrel is around the same price. That one's not for conceal carry, but definitely a great house/range gun.

There is nothing more frustrating than a malfunctioning gun. It's only topped by the frustration of sending it away for 3-5 weeks when it gets (posssibly) repaired. I've come to love Glocks for their simplicity, reliability, parts availability and even the common YouTube DIY videos.

canik is on their THIRD importer. It is also DA/SA and will be harder to Master

RRP
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
...I've come to love Glocks for their simplicity, reliability, parts availability and even the common YouTube DIY videos.

And for 200 bucks, you can become a certified armorer. Buy parts at cost and do your own work.

GoBang
03-16-2014, 05:45 PM
There is nothing more frustrating than a malfunctioning gun. It's only topped by the frustration of sending it away for 3-5 weeks when it gets (posssibly) repaired. I've come to love Glocks for their simplicity, reliability, parts availability and even the common YouTube DIY videos.

The Caniks seem to be pretty well made. And I love the CZ75 platform on which they're based. I also really like 1911s, but I just don't see myself carrying a gun that big every day.

Right around 3.5"-4" seems like a perfect blend of size and carry-ability. I wouldn't want smaller than 3.5", and I probably wouldn't want to carry anything over 4" around all the time.

berettabone
03-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Welcome fellow Michigander / Michiganian

When I was new to shooting, I thought that a smaller compact gun was the way to go, probably easier to handle and shoot. Boy was I wrong.

It sounds like you have become prematurely preoccupied with stopping power and ballistics. There's time for that latter. Much latter.

I have a reminder for you. You've probably run accross this in your reading. A large bullet or a fast bullet does NOTHING if it doesn't hit the target. You need to worry about shot placement. FBI database stats tell us that Law Enforcement folks hit about 20% of their shots somewhere on the target . This is not an argument for a bigger caliber. It is an argument for training and also simply to remind us this isn't an intellectual book study process.

Practice is important. Practice is expensive. Go with 9 mm. If you want, buy a gun that is easily upgradeable to a .40SW barell from the 9mm. Start with 9 and hope to avoid learning a flinch reaction. Save some money for competent instruction. Repeat that yearly. Save some money for a safe. You have kids.

I'll voice something that won't be popular here, most Kahr guns are not for beginners. There are better, more flexible choices out there.

Try to shoot these:

Glock 19
M&P 9 full size
Walther PPQ M2 -9mm
FNH FNS-9

Buy the one you shoot the best and feels the best. That would include ergonomics for your hand shape and size, felt recoil, ability to reach the trigger with a proper grip and the sights. Not a bad idea to get night sights immediately. My list will very, very likely put a 100% reliable gun in your hands. I own all but the Glock. I have fired it and own three other Glock models.Buy extra mags for training.

Good luck.
I agree with your choice of weapons, adding Sig and Beretta..........the rest, not so much........................he's new at this, according to his own words. He has a wife and children, and a job..................you've got him becoming swat in 6 easy lessons, and buying night sights. :israel:

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
And for 200 bucks, you can become a certified armorer. Buy parts at cost and do your own work.

For $35 you can join GSSF and use the Glock Armorer there. They will replace anything or everything in your Glock while you wait. NO CHARGE.

RRP
03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
I agree with your choice of weapons, adding Sig and Beretta..........the rest, not so much........................he's new at this, according to his own words. He has a wife and children, and a job..................you've got him becoming swat in 6 easy lessons, and buying night sights. :israel:

Actually, his recommendation was that 9mm was more economical. I have to agree.

berettabone
03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, he's only got him spending $5200 a year..........what was I thinking.............9mm it is!...........................................wow. ...

GoBang
03-16-2014, 05:53 PM

What? You mean I'm not supposed to be prepping to defend U.S. soil from the great Chinese invasion?

I'd probably be happy to get to a range every couple of weeks. I'll certainly be doing whatever I can to be as accurate and comfortable as I can with the firearm. But my scenarios involve things like stopping someone from mugging me (happened to my grandfather; he got slashed up by a punk with a knife), ending a convenience store robbery if I happen to be in the store at the time, etc. I live in an area with a median income of $68,000. I'm unlikely to find myself in a major firefight.

berettabone
03-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Just keeping it real for ya.....................:)

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 05:59 PM
The Caniks seem to be pretty well made. And I love the CZ75 platform on which they're based. I also really like 1911s, but I just don't see myself carrying a gun that big every day.

Right around 3.5"-4" seems like a perfect blend of size and carry-ability. I wouldn't want smaller than 3.5", and I probably wouldn't want to carry anything over 4" around all the time.

Barell length isn't generally on my list. My first concern is reliability, then how well I personally shoot that weapon, next comes thiness, then weight. I do consider capacity at times.

Where I am, what I'm doing can dictate which gun I carry; on the golf course I may pocket a Sig P238. At times I've carried a Beretta Nano 9mm, more recently a Glock 26, and I'm breaking in a Dan wesson 1911 ECO for possible future carry. One issue to keep in mind is the availibility of a quality holster.

I'm no longer in the workforce so I can dress to carry almost anything, especially half the year in Michigan.

GoBang
03-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm no longer in the workforce so I can dress to carry almost anything, especially half the year in Michigan.

With the weather in Michigan this year, you could probably have dressed to conceal carry two full-size 1911s and a P45 for backup. With extra mags.

b4uqzme
03-16-2014, 06:02 PM
on the golf course I may pocket a Sig P238. .

I find a Winchester 37 slides in nicely next to my putter....just sayin'. :rolleyes:

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 06:03 PM
What? You mean I'm not supposed to be prepping to defend U.S. soil from the great Chinese invasion?

I'd probably be happy to get to a range every couple of weeks. I'll certainly be doing whatever I can to be as accurate and comfortable as I can with the firearm. But my scenarios involve things like stopping someone from mugging me (happened to my grandfather; he got slashed up by a punk with a knife), ending a convenience store robbery if I happen to be in the store at the time, etc. I live in an area with a median income of $68,000. I'm unlikely to find myself in a major firefight.I fear the invasion has begun, it comes from the likes of former NY Mayor Bloomberg and CT Gov. Malloy. The Chinese? worry more about their cooking.:amflag:

PS. You may want to rethink that convenience store robbery plan.

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
With the weather in Michigan this year, you could probably have dressed to conceal carry two full-size 1911s and a P45 for backup. With extra mags.

At my CPL class, the instructor played a guessing game with the class. He's a tall 6'3 guy and was wearing khakis and a polo shirt. He asked us to count his concealed guns and state where he had them. Dude was wearing five. None printed,

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
I find a Winchester 37 slides in nicely next to my putter....just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Just reread my post. It ALMOST read like I carried all of those guns onto the course. Nope, just the Sig 380. I usually leave my EDC in the car although I try hard to avoid doing that. ;)

Being honest, I could use a Winchester and probably putt better. It's the weakest part of my game

GoBang
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
At my CPL class, the instructor played a guessing game with the class. He's a tall 6'3 guy and was wearing khakis and a polo shirt. He asked us to count his concealed guns and state where he had them. Dude was wearing five.

Nice!

AIRret
03-16-2014, 06:16 PM

You are RIGHT! And speaking of CZ….I carried my CZ sp 01 tactical ALL day today. So it can be done! But I must say, that if I choose to carry a gun that heavy and plan to be on my feet a lot I also wear hook style suspenders under a cover garment.

AIRret
03-16-2014, 06:18 PM

RRP educate me please (sorry, I'm always learning). How do you become an
armorer for $200?

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah, he's only got him spending $5200 a year..........what was I thinking.............9mm it is!...........................................wow. ...Hey, you padded my suggestion that ammo might be around $4000, not $5200. Thankfully my currect costs are closer to $14 /50 and I will redirect play money to golf balls in another two months. ;)

I like my Beretta. The Nano is the only one I ever shot. Great carry gun. Thin and light weight.

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 06:20 PM
RRP educate me please (sorry, I'm always learning). How do you become an
armorer for $200?
I'll butt in. The course is $200 or so, plus travel etc IF you are LE or certain occupations. They don't just take anyone...so I read.

AIRret
03-16-2014, 06:23 PM
I'll butt in. The course is $200 or so, plus travel etc IF you are LE or certain occupations. They don't just take anyone...so I read.

Thanks!

RRP
03-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks!

Here's more info for you, AIRret.
https://www.glocktraining.com/default.aspx

Any GSSF member or firearms instructor can take the course. You don't have to be LE.

AIRret
03-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks RRP!

berettabone
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Hey, you padded my suggestion that ammo might be around $4000, not $5200. Thankfully my currect costs are closer to $14 /50 and I will redirect play money to golf balls in another two months. ;)

I like my Beretta. The Nano is the only one I ever shot. Great carry gun. Thin and light weight.
Actually, you said he should spend $600 for the firearm, that $600 again in training, and $4000 a year in ammo. My fingers still work.........................

RainingAgain
03-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Actually, you said he should spend $600 for the firearm, that $600 again in training, and $4000 a year in ammo. My fingers still work.........................

A dollar here, a dollar there, pretty soon it's real money

I'm afraid to actually track my spending

Since January, I bought a new Glock 42, FNH FNS-9, and Dan Wesson ECO.
Good thing I sold a HK P7 PSP and a DW CBOB.

AIRret
03-17-2014, 06:43 AM
RainingAgain, your definitely sick, I know because I've got the same illness, it's called
"GAS"….gun acquisition syndrome.

RainingAgain
03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
RainingAgain, your definitely sick, I know because I've got the same illness, it's called
"GAS"….gun acquisition syndrome.Here I thought that, by selling two , I was on the road to recovery.

berettabone
03-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Here I thought that, by selling two , I was on the road to recovery.
They just want you to think that..............................I've sold 5, and I thought I was cured, but then they all got replaced by something else. I've had the berettafever, the signess, kahrpul tunnel, rugeritus, I've had to have a smith & wessonoctomy, had a waltheroptomy. I'm wondering what's next? A coltopsie, a springfieldodomy..............I have this feeling that I'll never have glockoma.......getting old is h&!!. ;)

GoBang
03-17-2014, 02:46 PM
You guys are hilarious.

Glad to be here.

GLOCKROCKER
03-17-2014, 05:48 PM
They just want you to think that..............................I've sold 5, and I thought I was cured, but then they all got replaced by something else. I've had the berettafever, the signess, kahrpul tunnel, rugeritus, I've had to have a smith & wessonoctomy, had a waltheroptomy. I'm wondering what's next? A coltopsie, a springfieldodomy..............I have this feeling that I'll never have glockoma.......getting old is h&!!. ;)
Funny stuff there bone! Had most of those myself. WARNING! if you ever get Glockoma there is no cure.

b4uqzme
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Funny stuff there bone! Had most of those myself. WARNING! if you ever get Glockoma there is no cure.

I heard that smoking pot helps...not sure how but that's what I hear. :eek: You can even get a prescription in some states, :rolleyes:

b4uqzme
03-17-2014, 06:01 PM
When it comes to Glocks, I believe in abstinence...JUST SAY NO! :D

GoBang
03-17-2014, 06:07 PM
When it comes to Glocks, I believe in abstinence...JUST SAY NO! :D

Glocks have no soul.

I may be inexperienced, but holding a Glock is like holding a brick. A zombie brick. With no soul.

SlowBurn
03-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Glocks have no soul.

I may be inexperienced, but holding a Glock is like holding a brick. A zombie brick. With no soul.

My (Gen2) Glock 17 oozes soul. Fits me like old jeans. Perfectly balanced, points naturally, fires true, feels great. I always know it'll fire and the round is going where I want. Bought it new and I'll never trade or sell.

b4uqzme
03-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Ahh. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Glock owners are easier to wind up than us Kahrnuts.

Glock on!

kwh
03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Consider cost of practice ammo. Consider speed of follow -up shots. Consider performance of bullet in short barrel guns. 9mm ammo quest on you tube provides more info to analyze.

berettabone
03-17-2014, 07:31 PM
My (Gen2) Glock 17 oozes soul. Fits me like old jeans. Perfectly balanced, points naturally, fires true, feels great. I always know it'll fire and the round is going where I want. Bought it new and I'll never trade or sell.
You definitely have all the signs of Glockoma. Like has been mentioned, there is no cure. Pot has been suggested. You could be a bricklayer by profession, they seem to go hand in hand. All we can do, is offer our condolences, because it could be a long struggle. We can just suggest, that maybe, you try another firearm. I have heard, and it's been suggested, that sometimes, maybe, in a small amount, in studies....the Glockoma suddenly disappears....gone.....zip..........modern miracle. It has been suggested that the original term or word Glock, comes from Die Glocke, the german translation meaning the bell. Glock adapted the name/phrase for their firearm. It seems that all of the people that were purchasing these firearms, kept hearing bells ringing. There was always the, "did you hear that"? Keep us posted, as to how you are feeling.;)

GoBang
03-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Consider cost of practice ammo. Consider speed of follow -up shots. Consider performance of bullet in short barrel guns. 9mm ammo quest on you tube provides more info to analyze.

As I've said, 9mm isn't off the table for me. And reconsidering it from the advice given here, I think I will start with a 9mm. As with everything, I've done my research and would want to shoot std pressure 147gr.

RevRay
03-17-2014, 08:27 PM
If you keep working on him he'll be buying a .32 before you know it.

b4uqzme
03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
slingshot...or maybe a rubber band with his finger pointed like a gun.

SlowBurn
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I have heard, and it's been suggested, that sometimes, maybe, in a small amount, in studies....the Glockoma suddenly disappears....gone.....zip..........modern miracle.

Afraid in my case its terminal. Living with it over 20 years now. But I'm fond of my little P380 too.

RainingAgain
03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
As I've said, 9mm isn't off the table for me. And reconsidering it from the advice given here, I think I will start with a 9mm. As with everything, I've done my research and would want to shoot std pressure 147gr.Why? It's hard to find and no 9mm was designed around that bullet weight.

RainingAgain
03-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Glocks have no soul.

You want soul? Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7sqfLMqb-U

berettabone
03-18-2014, 09:44 AM
More butt ugly than the original.........................;)

Ugly_Dog
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
When I first shot my new CM9, after the second box of 50, my hand turned black and blue!! Snappy little thing!! Now I shoot less and enjoy it more!!

RainingAgain
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Re annual cost: Whether you shoot twice per week or twice per month or spend $4,000.00 on ammo or only $1,000.00, there's no getting around the premium you'll pay to shoot .40SW

Last time I bought a box of 100 9mm at Walmart, it was under $27. When they have .40SW, it is usually under $23 per 50 or $46 /100.

berettabone
03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
No argument there...........................last time I purchased, it was $90 for 250 rds.

GoBang
03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Rocks and a slingshot are cheap....

GoBang
03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
In all seriousness.... the more I look at it, I think a TP9 might make sense. By the time you add 2 mags and a decent case onto a CW9, the price differences aren't that much. Plus you get an extra .4" of polygonal-rifled barrel and the nicer details.

RainingAgain
03-19-2014, 01:02 AM
In all seriousness.... the more I look at it, I think a TP9 might make sense. By the time you add 2 mags and a decent case onto a CW9, the price differences aren't that much. Plus you get an extra .4" of polygonal-rifled barrel and the nicer details.Just curious if you have found a Lansing area shop with a full line of Kahr offerings? I don't see anything but the PM9 and CM9 here abouts.

berettabone
03-19-2014, 09:38 AM
In all seriousness.... the more I look at it, I think a TP9 might make sense. By the time you add 2 mags and a decent case onto a CW9, the price differences aren't that much. Plus you get an extra .4" of polygonal-rifled barrel and the nicer details.
Don't give up on .40 cal. just because of price...........you may like to shoot it. I never had much interest in Kahr, until I shot one. Been an owner ever since. I wouldn't get a .40 in the PM or CM, a bit too snappy for me because of the size, but if you try, and you like, why not. In the smaller Kahr's, I wouldn't worry too much about the barrel type. Using it for short distances doesn't matter too much. Personally, I would have 2..........an mk for carry, and a T for the range. http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

jeepster09
03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the forum from the Jersey Shore. What's wrong with 9mm?

:40: Nines are wimpy.....:amflag:

jeepster09
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
First will this be for home defense, carry or range toy? It may make a difference depending on primary use. I like my MK40 Kahr for limited carry [HEAVY GUN COMPARED TO PLASTIC ONES]. It is Magnaported whichmakes shooting it a breeze. The Kahr T40 makes a great target and home defense gun, also could carry but heavier yet. I vote for getting a 40, when ammo was scarce it was still more available then the other calibers.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120601-00002.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/jeepster09/media/IMG-20120601-00002.jpg.html)

GoBang
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Don't give up on .40 cal. just because of price...........you may like to shoot it. I never had much interest in Kahr, until I shot one. Been an owner ever since. I wouldn't get a .40 in the PM or CM, a bit too snappy for me because of the size, but if you try, and you like, why not. In the smaller Kahr's, I wouldn't worry too much about the barrel type. Using it for short distances doesn't matter too much. Personally, I would have 2..........an mk for carry, and a T for the range. http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

I definitely like the full-size Kahrs. The CT40 is extremely tempting in price. I wouldn't want smaller than the CW / P series guns, personally.

I went to a shop and they had one of the smaller Kahrs in a 9mm. The grip size was nice but too short for my comfort. I want to be able to get all 3 fingers on the grip.

The H&K P30 felt fantastic, but it's also out of my current price range. I also liked the Ruger SR40.

GoBang
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
First will this be for home defense, carry or range toy? It may make a difference depending on primary use. I like my MK40 Kahr for limited carry [HEAVY GUN COMPARED TO PLASTIC ONES]. It is Magnaported whichmakes shooting it a breeze. The Kahr T40 makes a great target and home defense gun, also could carry but heavier yet. I vote for getting a 40, when ammo was scarce it was still more available then the other calibers.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/IMG-20120601-00002.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/jeepster09/media/IMG-20120601-00002.jpg.html)

Nice combo! Maybe a TP40 for carry and a T40 for home? ;)

b4uqzme
03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Now you're talking. :D

berettabone
03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
I definitely like the full-size Kahrs. The CT40 is extremely tempting in price. I wouldn't want smaller than the CW / P series guns, personally.

I went to a shop and they had one of the smaller Kahrs in a 9mm. The grip size was nice but too short for my comfort. I want to be able to get all 3 fingers on the grip.

The H&K P30 felt fantastic, but it's also out of my current price range. I also liked the Ruger SR40.
I would agree that the HK feels good in hand. Had a Ruger SR40. If you like the trigger style, nice trigger. Quality is to be determined.............definitely not as good as Kahr. I traded the Ruger for a Sig P220 sas.45.

GoBang
03-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I would agree that the HK feels good in hand. Had a Ruger SR40. If you like the trigger style, nice trigger. Quality is to be determined.............definitely not as good as Kahr. I traded the Ruger for a Sig P220 sas.45.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the Kahr. After a Kahr or two I might get a 1911, but I love the Kahrs too much not to get one. Or three.

HAP1978
03-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I own a CW .40, CW .45 and CM .40. The CW .40 was the first Kahr I bought and still one of my favorites. Feels good in the hand and shoots straight and true. Easy to conceal especially if you're taller.

GoBang
03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm waiting for my local shop to give me a price on a CW45. May as well get a .45 so I'm used to the caliber when I get the 1911 in the future. Plus, well... it's a .45.

h2ohhh
03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Its a fine gun. I have one and its my EDC. I can assure you though that you will likely end up with a couple of different calibers. Like Lays Potato Chips, you can't have just one.

GoBang
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Its a fine gun. I have one and its my EDC. I can assure you though that you will likely end up with a couple of different calibers. Like Lays Potato Chips, you can't have just one.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I stopped in to the shop this afternoon and had them order one in.

h2ohhh
03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Just be sure to follow the stickies on break in. Don't forget to clean it thoroughly before use. And you will see a huge difference in the weapons performance as you pass 100 rounds. By 200 its just awesome! Enjoy.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/enybuna9.jpg

wyntrout
03-27-2014, 02:56 AM
GoBang, welcome to the forum. You might want to add a bike tube grip cover to your CW45 to cover the sharp nibs. I used a 1.75 bike tube to make covers for all of my polymer Kahrs. When I got my PM45, I knew before shooting it that I needed something to cover the cheese graters. The bike tube doesn't add much size-wise to the grip, but makes it feel a lot better. Don't cut the tube over anything you don't want talcum powder on, though. :)

Here's my collection of info for new members to peruse while you're waiting for your pistol:

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by K a h r Arms.
Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.

First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can view it and/or download the pdf file here:
http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Please watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
Take down and re-assembly videos:
T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2cZgVg_SwA)
MK series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zXmSCnIOaUk#t=0s)
K series:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp

There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums. To start, a very good one:

Proper Prepping of a new Kahr:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14748

A very handy one is the Kahr Lubrication Diagram:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750

Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.

Another great resource for information on Kahrs... Archives of Magazine and Internet Reviews for Kahr pistols by industry experts. They test these pistols and report on their views and the ammo they tested in it. This is a good way to find ammo that might fit your needs along with accuracy and feeding in the pistol... usually from a rest with velocity and energy, as well as penetration and expansion sometimes... very informational.

http://www.kahr.com/product-reviews.asp

Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

One very important bit of advice: Hold the Kahr pistol firmly when firing OR CHAMBERING a round. These compact pistols need all of the force they can get from the slide to get a round into the chamber successfully. If you don't hold the pistol firmly, part of the needed momentum is transferred to MOVING THE PISTOL and the top round will DIVE and jam into the right side of the feed ramp. The weak hand, over hand rack method gives the best grip and a firm rack will give you the best chance at chambering a round.

Use the weak hand fingers over the slide(clear of the ejection port), thumb along the slide and pointing to the rear. Use the gun hand to simultaneously firmly push the gun as you give a vigorous rack with the weak hand and cleanly release the slide as it reaches the rear limit and is "snatched" from the weak hand. This approximates a real rack from firing and beats the slide release method WHEN executed properly. Much more strength can be exerted when this is done closer to the body.

Here's a video on that. The first part is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hjLbFOw8sow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hjLbFOw8sow)

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

For the .45 Kahrs, here's some more info:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14749

Wynn:)
Aka wyntrout

PS: I keep thinking of stuff to add and help new members... and am trying to cover most of the popular subjects. Yes, it's repetitious to many, but possibly not to all new members. This approach is easier than having to look up every tidbit for each new member or question that arises. :)