PDA

View Full Version : New P45 review(vs P40)

knkali
03-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Finally got to the range today and put some rnds through the new all blk non NS P45.
Sights: I have FOs on all my guns. I switched my P40's sights quickly after break in. While I initially liked the sights, I worked my gun hard in training and the sights are starting to lose the fibers. I think that for average use in average training, then they would hold up fine. However, if you go to the range 1-2 times a month or practice timed drills and reloads with malfunctions monthly, they are not the sight to use. I like the OEM sights after all and can see how the Big Dots could be the natural step from the OEM set up to the XS big dots since OEM is doting the "I".

Size: I little longer grip than the P40. Not much but that little extra helps recoil management. Its close, maybe the same but my hand seems to fit a little more on the .45 than the P40.

Recoil compared to the P40: Def the dif push vs snap feeling is acutely felt between the calibers between these two guns. I have ported the P40 so now the two are much more similar.

Trigger: What can I say. Looong smooth pull. The stack before break is very predictable. Its a Kahr. Either you like a trig like this or you dont.

Weight: Its a kahr

Performance: Dry racked maybe 150 times only before firing. 3 stove pipes at approx. the 50th rnd count. last 50 no hiccup. Will feel more confident after another 100-200 rnds though. At 97% initial breakin, it will get better. My P40 took 600 rnds to finally run without a hiccup.

Accuracy: for my eyes.......very.

Pointability: For me, the Kahrs point very well.

Magaizines: I got 3 of them and they are uh uhmmm ...crude. They are getting a little easier to load after some cycles but they feel cheap and I don't like them much. If there were aftermarket ones.........

Over all opinion: Glad I got it. It is everything I like about Kahr's P40 but in a caliber that I shoot more comfortably. I also got the gun so I have a carry weapon with similar triggers in the big 3 handgun loads.

Bottom line: great Kahr product. IF there is any doubt about recoil feel, go with the P45. Some guys shoot the .40 well so Kahr has that flavor too.

bob98366
03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks for good writeup. As for loading mags, have you used an Uplula mag loader? It makes it trivially easy and quick to load magazines. Even my small wife with arthritis can load a round per second with no pain.

hardluk1
03-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Gota try some 1911 mags in the 45 too.

knkali
03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Gota try some 1911 mags in the 45 too.

I don't think that will work.