PDA

View Full Version : Blackened stainless w/Tungsten DLC versus Kydex

par3
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Is this treatment impervious to wear from a Kydex holster?

hardluk1
03-27-2014, 06:35 AM
I would say any holster that fits well can with time and use show at least some polishing to any applied finish. Badly fit kydex could mark up any finish with time and use. Even the melonite S&W use's will mark and its comparable to diamond for hardness. My SS slide have held up very well thru the 4 years I have had them to holster wear with hybrids. Kydex front leather rear nothing special for wear.

VN Vet
03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
I would think anything as hard as a diamond will not be marked by Kydex. If I remember my college physics, it is a physically impossibility. I would think any marks on a surface comparable to a diamond for hardness is wearing off material from the Kydex. Trying cleaning the Melonite coating on your S&W. It should clean. If not call S&W because they are selling someone a bill of goods.

par3
03-27-2014, 04:26 PM
I would think anything as hard as a diamond will not be marked by Kydex. If I remember my college physics, it is a physically impossibility. I would think any marks on a surface comparable to a diamond for hardness is wearing off material from the Kydex. Trying cleaning the Melonite coating on your S&W. It should clean. If not call S&W because they are selling someone a bill of goods.

I was originally asking about Kahr's DLC coating and not Melonite.

But if this is the same coating with a different name ...?

muggsy
03-29-2014, 01:14 PM
An unbiased opinion.

http://www.armatuscarry.com/1/post/2013/08/a-case-for-kydex-11-reasons-why-your-next-holster-should-be-kydex-not-leather.html

Acasper708
03-29-2014, 03:51 PM
I've made a few Kydex holsters and the only gun that showed wear marks was a blued GI 1911.

hardluk1
03-30-2014, 09:41 AM
First off the different "tungsten coats are very hard but anything will "wear" with useage.
Just assume with a great fitting holster the only "wear" with W DLC or some ion bond coating to give you your tungsten coating you will see at least some polishing over time with use. If it scratch's the coating it was not done well .