PDA

View Full Version : Kahr's in competition

texjack
06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I shot a bug match at my local IDPA club last year. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place were all shooting Kahrs. I got 2nd with my K40:D, the other two were plastic frame 9mm models. We beat several Glocks, PPKs, j-frames, and other assorted small pistols (3 1/2" max barrels).It seems the Kahrs worked very well in competition, you guys should find a bug match in your area and give it a try.

recoilguy
06-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I would love to shoot in a BUG match. i shoot every week this summer in USPSA matches but have never had the opportunity to use my Kahrs in any of them. It would be a blast I think!!!

Very nice to hear you did so well! Congrats

RCG

jocko
06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
I shot a bug match at my local IDPA club last year. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place were all shooting Kahrs. I got 2nd with my K40:D, the other two were plastic frame 9mm models. We beat several Glocks, PPKs, j-frames, and other assorted small pistols (3 1/2" max barrels).It seems the Kahrs worked very well in competition, you guys should find a bug match in your area and give it a try.

beat the shooters behind the glocks, PPK, J frames. Not the guns...

recoilguy
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Right on Jocko!

RCG

bayoutrigger
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Does the fact that 6+1 is the best you can do with a full mag a hindrance in match shooting? Is there any way to make a mag that holds more cartridges?

Bawanna
06-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Does the fact that 6+1 is the best you can do with a full mag a hindrance in match shooting? Is there any way to make a mag that holds more cartridges?

Probably not a hindrance in a bug match. Not many in that category that would hold more. Just my thought, cant say for positive, never heard of a bug match to be honest but I intend to check around locally for one. Sounds like a good time.

jocko
06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Probably not a hindrance in a bug match. Not many in that category that would hold more. Just my thought, cant say for positive, never heard of a bug match to be honest but I intend to check around locally for one. Sounds like a good time.

allin fun and training anyhow. The BUG match should be what YOU CARRY and not really a BUG match gun either. If one does that he has kinda killed the meaning of the BUG anyhow.

Go to the shoot with what ever YOU CARRY. Hellif a NAA mini revolver is what u always carry, then indeed train with it. As long as they kept the BUG matchs under 10 yards I would feel very comfortable with any of my kahrs. Not a race gun for me as I never carry a spare mag anyhow, so proper placement of 7 runds in a BUG match would proablay be a fun thing.

remember some one always wins and some one comes in last...:popcorn:

Bawanna
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
allin fun and training anyhow. The BUG match should be what YOU CARRY and not really a BUG match gun either. If one does that he has kinda killed the meaning of the BUG anyhow.

Go to the shoot with what ever YOU CARRY. Hellif a NAA mini revolver is what u always carry, then indeed train with it. As long as they kept the BUG matchs under 10 yards I would feel very comfortable with any of my kahrs. Not a race gun for me as I never carry a spare mag anyhow, so proper placement of 7 runds in a BUG match would proablay be a fun thing.

remember some one always wins and some one comes in last...:popcorn:

They use to always tell me back in my motorcycle racing days that I always came in last so nobody else would have to. Everyone but me usually could say at least they weren't last.
This bug thing would be kind of fun even if you just did it with a small group of friends informally. For those of you that have friends that is.

texjack
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Our IDPA club has BUG matches 2-3 times a year, usually just for fun. For instance, we'll have a bug match after we host our yearly major match. This helps everyone wind down after the stress and work load of hosting a major. Of course, it is a great way to practice with our CHL guns. We download to 5 rounds to keep it fair for the j-frames, with a 10 round max per stage. These matches seem to be less serious competition wise, and more relaxed fun (with a lot of laughs).Also, we usually start each stage with gun either holstered or on top of barrel or table, shooters choice.

ScottNH
06-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Don't limit yourself to BUG matches (which are pretty rare around here.) I shoot one club match with my P9 every year, right there in SSP with everyone else. With the exception of rounds count (I use all 8-round mags), I'm right in there with everyone else, and usually finish in the upper quartile.

garyb
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I am currently getting geared up and looking forward to shooting IDPA in 2011 with the sword I carry daily. I have a few odds and ends to gather but have a good holster (Gould and Goodrich), extra mags and mag pouches. I attended a local event to observe and it looks like mostly Glocks are being used. It will be interesting to see how I do with my PM40. My purpose is to practice with what I use and if for nothing else, it will be great gun handling practice and ALL fun.

JohnR
11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Is there any reason not to use a compact Kahr for regular (SSP) shooting in IDPA? I know the mag capacity is a disadvantage compared to a double-stack Glock, but your basic 1911 has the same mag capacity as a K9 or P9.

jocko
11-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Niever did any of that,, no course around here that I even know of, but WHY NOT. If one goes into these shoots with the right attitude to just enjoy the shoot and learn from it WHY NOT. I would feel if ur intentions are to win or place high, more than likely there are better guns that will do it better to. If my PM9 is my carry gun 24/7 which it is, then I would use it even if I came in last , which more than likely I would anyhow..

JohnR
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Exactly, the purpose of IDPA is to get good at defensive shooting, so why use anything other than your EDC?

garyb
11-23-2010, 06:24 AM
I agree with you guys on the IDPA purpose issue and that is why I am going to participate. However, those that do it get competitive and start to push the envelope to win. The game changes when the focus is on winning. Our ego gets in the way and we blame the limits of the gun, instead of blaming ourselves for being limited. It seems to me that the end result is that gun handling and gun control gets improved either way. It may be that we learn more by making a change in the hardware, which allows us to go back and determine what was wrong with our shooting rather than the gun we felt was limited. I think it is all about learning, improving, fun.... and the competition is a big part of all that. I will be new to the game, but I hope to enjoy it, compete, learn and really improve my shooting and gun handling skills in various defensive scenarios. I'll go into it with an fresh and open mind. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a Glock 35 before it is all over. But for now, my PM40 will be the sword I carry and train with. It should be fun.

Indigo
11-23-2010, 06:36 AM
At some of the local matches here they still limit you to 10 rounds, so a kahr 9mm with 8 round mag isn't at quite as bad of a disadvantage. Just because someone uses glock 17 doesn't mean they get to start with 18 rounds. If that were the case use the 33 round mag and whip on everybody.

garyb
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
With my PM40, I have four 6 round mags. I am told that some stations require up to 18 rounds. You must start with one in the pipe and a full mag. This will require two mag drops at those 18 round stations. This should immediately train me to be proficient at dropping and replacing fresh mags. Good training. It will also show me the disadvantage of fewer rounds in the mag. That is all part of the purpose of the game, so I will just deal with it and try to make up time...or not, haha.

HighLander51
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
IDPA rules only allow you to have a fully loaded gun and 2 spare mags on your belt. So if you have misses, it will be tough compared to shooters running 10 round mags.

7shot
02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
What's a "bug match" :confused:

wyntrout
02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
The .40 equivalent is only 7 rounds, but that's my favorite for the range and spare carry for reloads... the 7-round extended... for my ported P40. I have to decide on some night sights so I can carry that at night! I've been "forced" to carry my PM45 with 5+1+7.

Wynn:D

HighLander51
03-02-2013, 07:10 AM
What's a "bug match" :confused:

BUG stands for back up gun. Only 5 rounds per stage. Very few clubs run BUG matches, and if they do, it's usually only one stage.

Kahrdriver64
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
After having run a couple club matches with my Kahr, I believe the only disadvantages are in capacity in vickers scoring, sight radius, and a very long reset compared to some of the other DAO's. Just approach it like golf or bowling and try to improve my own performance. I doubt the guys running 5" barreled XD's and Glocks carry them every day and very few bad guys practice their gun craft.

bugs
09-29-2016, 12:55 PM
more IDPA clubs are starting to have BUG DIV. at their matches as the parent org. approved two new div., CCP AND BUG; since we're talking BUG, you need 3" barrel, 6rd. MAX in the gun, 3 mags of 6rnd. on the belt, and a strong side holster. COF will be the same for ALL DIV., draw from holster, reloads on the clock, a concealment garment may or may not be required depending upon COF. this is as close to real life SD without receiving incoming rounds.

repeat at least monthly and enjoy!

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER

swank
02-18-2019, 06:53 PM
I started shooting IPSC in 1976, but the entire idea was silly. The guns were way too big and heavy, the ranges much too long for realism, time limits were much too slow, and there were way too many targets per string of fire. 10m should be the max range and comprise at most 10% of the matches. 6 ft and less should comprise at least that much. Half of the match or more should be inside 10 ft, 3/4 inside 5m, with 15% between 5m and 10m. Maximum time limit for anything should be 2 seconds, with most of it being 1 second or less. Just like reality. If you aint that fast, you're gonna lose, barring a lot of luck.

Tilos
02-19-2019, 02:14 PM
I started shooting IPSC in 1976, but the entire idea was silly. The guns were way too big and heavy, the ranges much too long for realism, time limits were much too slow, and there were way too many targets per string of fire. 10m should be the max range and comprise at most 10% of the matches. 6 ft and less should comprise at least that much. Half of the match or more should be inside 10 ft, 3/4 inside 5m, with 15% between 5m and 10m. Maximum time limit for anything should be 2 seconds, with most of it being 1 second or less. Just like reality. If you aint that fast, you're gonna lose, barring a lot of luck.
WoW, way to bump an old thread.
Where I live I have convinced my club match directors to let me in the revolver class by loading only 6 rounds in my CW9.
Great for Speed Steel and plate rack matches.
I don't need no stink'en BUG class, and no one has complained yet.
Do I win, no but I can get closer because it takes me out of the spray and pray class.
jmo
:biggrin1:

swank
02-19-2019, 04:32 PM
I wasn't here when this is posted. When I see something interesting to me, I post about it. This place badly needs 1000x as many posts as it's getting, or it's going to be completely dead forum, instead of just moribund, like it is now.

Tilos
02-19-2019, 08:21 PM
I wasn't here when this is posted. When I see something interesting to me, I post about it. This place badly needs 1000x as many posts as it's getting, or it's going to be completely dead forum, instead of just moribund, like it is now.
yep, pretty much dead...
I believe there's not many posts here because most Kahrs are iddy-biddy carry guns, not range or competitive guns.
Owners buy 'em, get them running, find/get a holster that works, and carry them.
Many members here do compete/reload/shoot/own lots of not Kahr guns but post about their experiences in other/more active Forums.
Not a lot of drama here,
jmo
Edit: Speed Steel stages are 5 targets and are routinely shot at about 2-3 seconds, not a run and gun game though ;)

Tilos
02-20-2019, 11:30 AM
You shouldn't really worry yourself about a loser site like this. It sounds like you should worry more about shooting yourself and blaming it on stupid holsters and such. When I see something stupid, I post about it. Guys like you are one of the reasons I quit a waiting list gun club. Too many cowboys trying to prove how fast they are and endangering others. Stupid holsters. Thought you'd be smarter than that.:p
:madgrin:
Not to pile on here, his 1st post/rant in this thread refers to something that happened in 1976, that's 43 years ago:2eek:.
It's hard to believe he's been and still is a Richard Cranium for 43 years.:der:
swank, let it go...

berettabone
02-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Hillarious........................................ ..................

johnh
02-20-2019, 12:36 PM
He is gone. We don't meet his standards for traffic and quality, so obviously he has many other places to contribute his expertise.