PDA

View Full Version : Preferred way to release slide?

mickeyfinn
04-10-2014, 11:30 PM
I have always used the "slingshot" method to release semi-auto slides.

In my CM9 manual Kahr says to press on the slide release.

How do you release your slide and why do you do it that way?

TheTman
04-10-2014, 11:42 PM
After they get broken in, most Kahrs seem to do okay with the slingshot method.
But until they have a few hundred rounds through them, the slide release method seems to work the best and causes fewer problems.
That was my experience anyway with a couple of CW models, .40 and .45.

Akoustic
04-11-2014, 12:15 AM
I slingshot the +1 round when loading. At the range I find it easier just to use the slide release when changing magazines.

DavidR
04-11-2014, 03:18 AM
With my CW9 I can go either way. My CM9 is much harder to rack so I always use the slide release. Bot have 400 rounds through them.

mser
04-11-2014, 03:42 AM
If the slingshot method works for you, I wouldn't hesitate to go that way. I've always used the slide lock to drop the slide. That's the method recommended by Kahr in the owners manual and I've been doing it that way for so long it's become a habit.

muggsy
04-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Either, or. (I'm a man of few words.)

b4uqzme
04-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Either. But I find using the slide lever is quicker for reloads.

Pointblank
04-11-2014, 05:57 AM
I've always found following the manufacturer's recommendations in the manual that comes with a firearm to be a good idea.

AIRret
04-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Slide release as per manufacturer.

bsmith712
04-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Both work fine with both of mine.

garyb
04-11-2014, 06:32 AM
This issue seems to keep getting recycled here. I suggest following the manufacturer until you break in the gun, feel comfortable with it and then experiment with sling shot to see if it will work reliably with your gun. I've heard that some guys can and some guys can't make it work with their gun. May be the technique used or may be the gun. If one way or the other works for you with your gun, use it. It will require you to figure this out for yourself. JMO.

Longitude Zero
04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Both. But it is situation dependent. Slide release 90% of th etime.

TenorTim
04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm left handed. Hitting the release requires moving the thumb of the shooting hand over to the opposite side of the gun. Not too easy when the slide is locked back, and increases the chances that you'll drop it... I've been sling-shoting mine from day one... Works fine as long as you push the gun with your shooting hand and allow it to pull out of your support hand while grasping the slide... This ensures the slide pulls completely to the rear and that there is no drag when it's released.

berettabone
04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Both........................

Bawanna
04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
If I was lefty and after break in I'd slingshot.

The key thing here since both methods accomplish the same thing is proper execution. The reason the slide lock works is the slide is fully retracted and when you hit the release it gets full force forward movement to chamber and lock up.

During a sling shot if you get the slightest bit girly man, especially when new and tight you'll ride the slide forward just a bit and often times that's just enough to slow things down and not complete the mission.

Sling shot with gusto, don't ride the slide and all will be fine. My PM45 slingshotted just fine right out of the box.

It's all about getting that slide all the way back and turn it loose.

It's been hashed out here many times but most cops are trained to sling shot based on the theory that in a adrenalin overflow situation, your fine motor skills go out the window. Finding the release may be a challenge grabbing the slide and ripping it back is more of a gross motor skill.

Ultimately do what works for you. Test it to make sure it works and roll with it. I prefer 45's so I'm not horribly concerned with reloads unless there's a whole herd of dirtbags.

kahrnut1
04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
slingshot works good on pm9 cm 9 pm 40 & 45

SlowBurn
04-11-2014, 11:48 AM
I like the slide release method better because its so "positive" and never fails. I had trouble sling shotting the P380 when I first got it. But I always practice the sling shot with it once or twice each range trip. I want to be sure I can do it if I have to.

muggsy
04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
If I was lefty and after break in I'd slingshot.

The key thing here since both methods accomplish the same thing is proper execution. The reason the slide lock works is the slide is fully retracted and when you hit the release it gets full force forward movement to chamber and lock up.

During a sling shot if you get the slightest bit girly man, especially when new and tight you'll ride the slide forward just a bit and often times that's just enough to slow things down and not complete the mission.

Sling shot with gusto, don't ride the slide and all will be fine. My PM45 slingshotted just fine right out of the box.

It's all about getting that slide all the way back and turn it loose.

It's been hashed out here many times but most cops are trained to sling shot based on the theory that in a adrenalin overflow situation, your fine motor skills go out the window. Finding the release may be a challenge grabbing the slide and ripping it back is more of a gross motor skill.

Ultimately do what works for you. Test it to make sure it works and roll with it. I prefer 45's so I'm not horribly concerned with reloads unless there's a whole herd of dirtbags.

If you want to know everything that there is to know about gross skills, contact Jocko. He is the grand master of gross. :)

muggsy
04-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I've always found following the manufacturer's recommendations in the manual that comes with a firearm to be a good idea.

The best reason for learning the proper method of racking the slide is to clear a jam should the need arise. Try doing that with the slide lock. Tap, rack, bang.

codegeek
04-11-2014, 01:47 PM
My CM9 is fortunate enough to work fine with both.

O'Dell
04-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Either, or. (I'm a man of few words.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!

O'Dell
04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I've never had a problem slingshotting a Kahr, and I've had seven. I think slide lock release is in the manual because some people don't use the right technique. Bawanna is correct, as usual.

Rubb
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I've never had a problem slingshotting a Kahr, and I've had seven. I think slide lock release is in the manual because some people don't use the right technique. Bawanna is correct, as usual.

^^This

ripley16
04-11-2014, 08:32 PM
How do you release your slide and why do you do it that way?

I do both. If the slide is already open I use the release. If the slide is closed I rack the slide. Both ways work.

Pointblank
04-12-2014, 05:10 AM
The best reason for learning the proper method of racking the slide is to clear a jam should the need arise. Try doing that with the slide lock. Tap, rack, bang.

I thought we were discussing loading, not clearing a jam, apples and oranges. Interesting since sling-shoting can cause a jam.

hardluk1
04-12-2014, 09:14 AM
I tend to rack or finish pulling to release with a mag change . Never had an issue in 5 years with 3 kahrs. My little cm9 is the slickest of the bunch. That one can cycle the slide as slowly as you can and it will chamber a round.

Rob K
04-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Just got a new CM9. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet. With regards to slide lever vs slingshot feed, I've done the following...Unloaded with no magazine...When I use the slide drop lever, the gun "fires" just fine. When I pull the slide and release it, most times you can "shoot it" 1,2,or 3 times withou racking the slide again. Any comments ?????

muggsy
04-20-2014, 03:01 PM
I thought we were discussing loading, not clearing a jam, apples and oranges. Interesting since sling-shoting can cause a jam.

When you clear a jamb you are chambering a fresh round. I think that it's imperative that anyone using a semi-auto master both methods. If you use the slide release during a reload and experience a nose dive jamb you had better know how to clear it using the slingshot method. Just sayin.

b4uqzme
04-20-2014, 07:43 PM
^^^^ best advice. MASTER both techniques. I know I use both and I guess they are situational but I never give it a thought. I couldn't tell you which I prefer or use the most often. It just happens...automatically. I'm not thinking about how I will chamber a round. I'm thinking about what's gonna happen next. Just sayin'.

garyb
04-21-2014, 05:45 AM
I agree with Mugs and b4ugzme totally. But if your new gun is not working with slingshot, it may not be broken in yet, OR your technique needs evaluation. I use both with my PM40 at the range. For first SD round chambered from the house, I always use the slide release to be certain that everything is all systems GO. But master both.