PDA

View Full Version : p-45 issues

gene62
04-12-2014, 07:54 AM
I waited several months on my p-45 through the NRA instructor program, but I ordered it just the way I wanted and did not mind the wait
However after receiving it I had failure to feed, failure to return to battery even after 300 rounds(different brands ammo, all 230 fmj).This was every magazine(I have 5).
I had a very difficult time communicating with the service department, but finally getting shipping approval they had a very quick turn around time,(just over two weeks).
I have only had time to run 50 rounds through the gun since I have received from the service department, during this time it has had no jams since.

Love the gun, the finish, size and weight is hard to beat(black finish with night sites). But I am having a bit of trouble trusting it . I plan to run another 100 rounds through it, then order a holster(not easy to find).
I can find very little information from users on the p-45.

Does anyone else have first hand knowledge of the p-45 ?

knkali
04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I waited several months on my p-45 through the NRA instructor program, but I ordered it just the way I wanted and did not mind the wait
However after receiving it I had failure to feed, failure to return to battery even after 300 rounds(different brands ammo, all 230 fmj).This was every magazine(I have 5).
I had a very difficult time communicating with the service department, but finally getting shipping approval they had a very quick turn around time,(just over two weeks).
I have only had time to run 50 rounds through the gun since I have received from the service department, during this time it has had no jams since.

Love the gun, the finish, size and weight is hard to beat(black finish with night sites). But I am having a bit of trouble trusting it . I plan to run another 100 rounds through it, then order a holster(not easy to find).
I can find very little information from users on the p-45.

Does anyone else have first hand knowledge of the p-45 ?

First, welcome to the forum. I have the P45(recently bought) and a P40. Both gun needed 600-650 rnds through them before they smoothed out. Another member here said the same thing so I am not crazy--yet. Shoot the heck out of it. You are not even close to finding out if the gun is reliable IMHO. After a few hundred more rounds, lets talk then.

AIRret
04-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Welcome gene62,
I don't have a P45 but I believe you can find a holster at:

International handgun leather
shop.ihlusa.com
I'm having a problem with the web address coming up properly but if you google "international handgun leather" it will come up.

Gun2Head
04-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Crossbreed Holsters as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

smokersteve
04-12-2014, 03:34 PM
First, welcome to the forum. I have the P45(recently bought) and a P40. Both gun needed 600-650 rnds through them before they smoothed out. Another member here said the same thing so I am not crazy--yet. Shoot the heck out of it. You are not even close to finding out if the gun is reliable IMHO. After a few hundred more rounds, lets talk then.
That must stink having to spend $300 to break in a $600+ gun.

berettabone
04-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Most of us shoot more rounds than that, not breaking a firearm in, so?http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

knkali
04-13-2014, 10:35 AM

$700 gun. I had that feeling at first, but the guns are so tight that I know they are gonna last many many many more rounds and I have a gun with a lot of power that is easily carried all day and every day.. Besides, my life is worth more than $300. Furthermore, it helps me familiarize myself with the gun, malfunction clearing, and I work on my draw and sight picture ect. So the rounds are not wasted. But I do admit it can be frustrating if I don't keep my eyes on the prize so to speak.

b4uqzme
04-13-2014, 10:54 AM
^^^^ well said.

WMac19
04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Best of luck to ya.. As for holsters, Concealment Solutions makes a holster for the P45. I have a Crossbreed but ordered a Black Mamba CE from Concealment Solutions and MUCH prefer it to the Crossbreed. Turnaround is much shorter also.

More comfortable, better shape to the leather and due to Jason's shaping of the kydex, it's so much easier to reholster. I opted for the full kydex version to further protect the slide. Very, very happy with it.

gene62
04-13-2014, 12:51 PM
It is frustrating. As you said, time and resources are not wasted. But I hope the pistol proves reliable, and that I can have the confidence in this pistol that is advertised.

b4uqzme
04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
They advertise the gun not the confidence. The gun will run right even if it takes some effort. You supply the confidence.

Best of luck! I hope you gain the confidence also. Welcome.

100percent
04-13-2014, 05:20 PM
First welcome to the the forum and kudos on the certification.

Some complain about slow break in but there are other guns more expensive that don't run as well new.

I really don't buy guns new, luckily I have been pretty lucky buying weapons already broke in.

Pointblank
04-14-2014, 05:30 AM
I had the opposite experience. My P-45 was flawless at the first range session, over 200 rounds. I did not find the recoil to be that bad. Unfortunately it shot 8 inches low at 7 yards. When I emailed customer service they at first tried to blame me. Something about not being used to the Kahr trigger. I told them I had a PM9 and it shot just fine, it's the gun. I finally got them to email me a return label and sent it off to them. It is nearly 3 weeks and counting now. I doubt they even touched it yet. They has better not try to give me any BS upon returning it.

marshal kane
04-17-2014, 11:58 AM
. . . I had failure to feed, failure to return to battery even after 300 rounds(different brands ammo, all 230 fmj).This was every magazine(I have 5).
While I don't have a P-45, I have a new P9 that exhibited the same problems during the break-in period. In my case, I reload so I found scratches on the side of the fired cases that could only have come from the feed lips on the 3 magazines supplied. I depressed the magazine follower and held it there by putting a nail through the magazine port then I burnished the internal side of the feed lips with a steel rod. What a difference that made, no more FTF or return to battery problems with any of my magazines anymore. If you still have any of your fired brass, you might check them for side scratches which could only come from the internal side of the magazine feed lips. It's the rough edges that were slowing down my slide as it tried to strip rounds out of the magazine. Hope this helps.

gene62
05-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Just a quick update on my P45. Had it out this morning and it ran great. I did have one failure to feed, but it seemed different than the ones in the past. Right or wrong I did not feel it was the same issues as before.
I also loaded each mag with 3 different brands of ammo. Each mag got one round from each box until full. Then loaded into pistol and sent down range.It did not care what was in it, the P45 ran great.
One thing I cannot get over is at 27'offhand, I have a jagged hole (for the most part). Now I am not a match shooter, or is this a match gun, so for myself to get these results in a 3.5 " barrel and a 20 oz. handgun makes me very happy.
As far as holster, thanks for the recommendations. I think I will order one from EQUIPING THE WORKERS. Made in Florida I believe, It is IWB made of thin kydex with a spring clip. I have one for my G23 and love it. I was going to try something different, but I have not seen anything that I think I would like better.

CJB
05-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I had the opposite experience. My P-45 was flawless at the first range session, over 200 rounds. I did not find the recoil to be that bad. Unfortunately it shot 8 inches low at 7 yards. When I emailed customer service they at first tried to blame me. Something about not being used to the Kahr trigger. I told them I had a PM9 and it shot just fine, it's the gun. I finally got them to email me a return label and sent it off to them. It is nearly 3 weeks and counting now. I doubt they even touched it yet. They has better not try to give me any BS upon returning it.

At 7 yards you've got about a 1:50 ratio of sights to taget.

That would put something on your pistol "out" by .160 inches or so, if you were off by 8 inches. That means... you're front sight is too tall by that, or your rear sight is too short by that, or the front or rear of your barrel is off by that, or some huge combination of .04 inches in all four spots. In this locked room mystery, there is a solution. I agree with Kahr, it simply cannot be off by that far.

Pointblank
05-17-2014, 01:10 PM
My P45 has never malfunctioned, however it was shooting about 8" low at 7 yards and it wasn't me. My PM9 doesn't do that. I sent it in for service. They replaced the barrel, modified the slide and adjusted the sights and now it's good to go.

jlottmc
05-17-2014, 01:31 PM
At 7 yards you've got about a 1:50 ratio of sights to taget.

That would put something on your pistol "out" by .160 inches or so, if you were off by 8 inches. That means... you're front sight is too tall by that, or your rear sight is too short by that, or the front or rear of your barrel is off by that, or some huge combination of .04 inches in all four spots. In this locked room mystery, there is a solution. I agree with Kahr, it simply cannot be off by that far.

I was going to say something to that effect. I was also going to suggest filing the front sight about that far and refinish it. He seems to have gotten the problem worked out though.

CJB
05-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Like any locked room mystery, there's more than intially meets the eye.

gene62
01-30-2016, 07:11 AM
Well, they did supply the gun, but no matter what, I could not provide the confidence. Even after two returns to the factory,5 mags and gun, it still did not function reliable. One to two jams every single magazine. Very disappointing.

CJB
01-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Well, they did supply the gun, but no matter what, I could not provide the confidence. Even after two returns to the factory,5 mags and gun, it still did not function reliable. One to two jams every single magazine. Very disappointing.

Lets get specific -

Describe "jam" in detail. Pictures if you got 'em!

Exactly what brand and type of ammo?

What did Kahr say they did to your pistol each time?