PDA

View Full Version : Plan to create a covert TP45

ripley16
06-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I couldn't take it anymore! ;)

For about a month I've been ogling and considering the TP45, currently being offered at Bud's for $449, but couldn't pull the trigger (so to speak). The too long grip was the only impediment. It occured to me how much I liked the P45... it seemed like the ideal CCW. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that a TP45 modified to a covert would be an even more ideal CCW.

So tonight I ordered a TP45 from Bud's. The last time I bought from them it took about two weeks to arrive, so I'll be on pins and needles for a while. I'll shoot it Au Naturale at first, but my intention is to cut the grip down to a P size, making it a covert TP45. Has anyone done this already?

I'll keep the forum appraised of how things go. I see this a being a potential GREAT carry gun... accurate, light, 7 rounds of .45acp coming out of a 4" barrel. We'll see...wish me luck. :D

jocko
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I couldn't take it anymore! ;)

For about a month I've been ogling and considering the TP45, currently being offered at Bud's for $449, but couldn't pull the trigger (so to speak). The too long grip was the only impediment. It occured to me how much I liked the P45... it seemed like the ideal CCW. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that a TP45 modified to a covert would be an even more ideal CCW.

So tonight I ordered a TP45 from Bud's. The last time I bought from them it took about two weeks to arrive, so I'll be on pins and needles for a while. I'll shoot it Au Naturale at first, but my intention is to cut the grip down to a P size, making it a covert TP45. Has anyone done this already?

I'll keep the forum appraised of how things go. I see this a being a potential GREAT carry gun... accurate, light, 7 rounds of .45acp coming out of a 4" barrel. We'll see...wish me luck. :D

The P to TP is about .45" shorter. the PM to TP is about .76" shorter. I know which way I would go..

probably need to find a PM45 magazine, as that is the shortest 45 mag they make. It will IMO be the perfect covert mod also. Take ur time with it, measure twice cut once. If u have doubts about doing it, I can get u with the best smitty for this work. He has done alot of kahrs..

Nice gun by the way... If it was my gun, u stated P size, I would go all the way and make it PM size and the TP and P size is not that much, Just my 2 cents worth...

wyntrout
06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
IF you can find a flush-fitting metal base, you could design the modification around the 6-shot magazine tube. The 5-shot is not a good place to start, unless that's the grip length you want AND the capacity you want for CCW.
I like the longer barrel and the cheaper than PM cost. If Kahr would offer the longer ported barrel for my PM45, I would try that.
They could add another round with a metal follower and a metal base plate with a slight downward bulge, if that was even necessary. I can get 6 rounds into the 5-round mag with another brand of metal follower... too tight for my liking, though.
IF they would listen and I could sit down with the Kahr design guys for about 5 minutes, I could design or show them how to design a darn efficient follower and base plate... AND magazine to give the extra capacity without the extra bulk of plastic and having to mold inserts into the follower.
Of course that's just my own opinion, but I've tinkered enough with the magazines to wonder why they settled on thick and complicated plastic parts.:rolleyes:
Wynn

ripley16
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
If Kahr offered the flush metal base plate in .45 caliber I'd probably cut the grip to accomodate it... but they don't. Metal plates are offered in .380 and 9mm/.40 only.

I'm planning on cutting it down to a "P" size, as I'm not sure going down to a "PM" is what I'm after as far as concealability, comfort and control and capacity. I can always cut more if that desire changes.

I'm looking at the "P" grip as being perfectly adequate for now. Getting the longer barrel at a reduced price compared to a P45 or even a CW45 just seemed irresistable.

Bawanna
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
If Kahr offered the flush metal base plate in .45 caliber I'd probably cut the grip to accomodate it... but they don't. Metal plates are offered in .380 and 9mm/.40 only.

I'm planning on cutting it down to a "P" size, as I'm not sure going down to a "PM" is what I'm after as far as concealability, comfort and control and capacity. I can always cut more if that desire changes.

I'm looking at the "P" grip as being perfectly adequate for now. Getting the longer barrel at a reduced price compared to a P45 or even a CW45 just seemed irresistable.

I think your onto something here. I wish they made a metal base for the 45's myself for those occasions when you really want to get small. I could manage my PM with a flush mag with little trouble, and I would also cut the grip to accomodate if they existed.
The beauty of your plan is the options you'll create. Extended base or as short as you can and even shorter if they ever do make a metal base. The longer barrel is easy to conceal and the shorter grip will provide the best of both worlds. A meaningful grip but concealable with little effort.
And the bonus is as you mentioned you can always go shorter if that desire ever comes about. I don't think going to PM size would balance well, but again not ever having held one or even hearing of one you really can't tell. I'm anxious to see how it works out for you.

Mr. S
06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I'll be watching this thread carefully.
IMHO the P45 has the best sized grip in the whole Kahr lineup.
The longer barrel plus that grip will be a great carry setup.

jlottmc
06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I'd be happy to have a TP45 and would probably leave it alone, just carry my P45 when I want a might smaller. Then again, that would be a sweet shooting piece of iron... Hmmm now I'm thinking of possibilities.

gb6491
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I think it will be a good looking pistol:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qcksit.jpg
Regards,
Greg

jlottmc
06-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Would the TP tope end fit on the P bottom end? If it would then you would save a lot of cutting and headache.

jocko
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
good question to ask kahr, as I know of no one who has tried this switch... Maybe just me but if I was going to do a TP covert, it would be the size in the grip area of the PM not the P. Just alot of expense for such little gain. I am probabluy alone with this thought to...

jlottmc
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I could see both sides of that, but jocko when do you reach the point of diminishing returns going that route? That's why I could see doing the P45 grip frame, from the TP45, and conversely a PM45 grip frame from a P45. To go to the extremes might be a bit hard to handle. Of course with my opinion and $5 you can buy a cup of coffee at any Starbucks...

ripley16
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I think it will be a good looking pistol:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qcksit.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Neat picture, I assume photoshopped to blend a TP and a P. Thanks.

Would the TP top end fit on the P bottom end? If it would then you would save a lot of cutting and headache.

What would that cost and how would you buy it?

Just alot of expense for such little gain.

The expense is one of two major factors in my attempting this endevor. I'm not really interested in a PM45. The P45 is a great, maybe even perfect size for a major CCW. Bud's sells the PM for $661, the P for $640, but the TP for only $430. By my way of thinking I'm getting the best of both pistols, (TP and P), for a savings of $210!

I get concealability or at least more than a TP offers, with the added benefit of a longer polygonal barrel (increased muzzle velocity, ease of cleaning) for the price of a CW45, $428.

Mainly I see this as a way to get a cheap P45 with better ballistic performance.

I could see both sides of that, but jocko when do you reach the point of diminishing returns going that route?

I see both sides too... and the fact is that a second cut is possible... maybe but doubtful. I'm more interested in retaining the ammo capacity and a firmer grip at the moment. With certain brands of ammo the P45 is a real handful. It is afterall, almost half the weight of a 1911A1. I also want a gun I can shoot often and a PM grip sounds like it would get tiresome too fast, and maybe even painful at some point.

I'm pleasantly surprized to see, via an email, that the gun is in route and will arrive at my FFL Tuesday. It shipped the day after I bought. Last time when I bought a TP9 it sat for a week before shipping.

I also recieved the phone call that my CCW permit renewal is ready for pick-up at the courthouse. A doubly good day for me tomorrow! :D

jlottmc
06-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I thought you already owned the P45. If I am mistaken then I will certainly admit it and apologize. Either way it is a good day for you. A new toy and a fresh CCW permit, oh the possibilites.

ripley16
06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I thought you already owned the P45. If I am mistaken then I will certainly admit it and apologize. Either way it is a good day for you. A new toy and a fresh CCW permit, oh the possibilites.

I sold my P45 to a friend doing contract security in Iraq. He wanted it as a backup to his manditory Glock. I regretted my loss and have been contemplating another P45 or TP45 ever since. Again; I see this as an opportunity to replace the P45 with one of similar size but with better qualities... namely a longer sight radius and a faster, harder hitting round... maybe not by much, but better is better.

jlottmc
06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I see well I apologize for my mistake. That sounds like a winner at any rate.