PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro

DavidS
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone!

I am making my first post as an introduction. I am from Oklahoma and am retired (i.e., I am an old f... and sorta set in my ways. ;))

I am not really a gun enthusiast or collector, most of the firearms I own have a purpose - hunting or plinking or carry. But, forums like this are a good place for information and ideas. I have been snooping around some, mostly in the New Member Area, reading stickies and checking out the links. You have a great forum here!

The one gun I did buy with no purpose in mind (just because I wanted one) was a new SS Colt Python in 1992. Long story short, I now have twin grandsons so passing it on won't work, I have no use for it, and the current exorbitant prices for them is screaming "sell now"!

So, I am not currently a Kahr owner, but expect to have a KM40 Elite in the VERY near future for carry purposes. :)

David

GLOCKROCKER
04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Welcome from another old fart. Had a bad experience looking down the wrong end of one of those Pythons once long ago in my misspent youth.

Bawanna
04-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Pythons rock! I'd not part with it if I was you. I'd sure like to claim one for my own someday too.

b4uqzme
04-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Good choice on the MK40. I saw one in the used gun counter once but, because I didn't need it, I passed on it. I'm still kicking myself. Welcome.

100percent
04-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Nice choice. I have a PM40 with my bigger forty being a Glock.

I like 40. Punch yet in a small gun.

I am also a retiree, at least from my previous job.

RevRay
04-20-2014, 08:07 PM
This forum is filled with old farts ... though fortunately the smell doesn't travel through the ethernet. Welcome, and do keep us posted regarding your Kahr yearnings when they've been fulfilled.

DavidS
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Nice choice. I have a PM40 with my bigger forty being a Glock.

I like 40. Punch yet in a small gun.

I am also a retiree, at least from my previous job.

My other 40 is a Glock also. :)

DavidS
04-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Pythons rock! I'd not part with it if I was you. I'd sure like to claim one for my own someday too.

I have thought about keeping it, but see my signature. I guess that's why there are folks like you and folks like me - we complement each other. :)

warbird1
04-20-2014, 09:07 PM
The Python is one fine revolver. If you don't appreciate it someone else surely will. Welcome to the forum.

DavidS
04-20-2014, 09:55 PM
The Python is one fine revolver. If you don't appreciate it someone else surely will. Welcome to the forum.
It is not that I do not "appreciate" the Python, which I surely do, having kept it all these years. But for me, all my guns have a purpose except this one. With it, all I really have is personal pride of ownership and this has given me pause for thought over the past few years. I am not and do not want to be a collector of firearms.
I finally decided that this gun really deserves to go to a true enthusiast who will "treasure" it for what it is. Thus, I will sell it and replace it with a quality gun that will have a purpose in my lifestyle.

100percent
04-21-2014, 05:19 AM
DavidS
Most guns that I have sold, I have later regretted the sale.

A 357 makes a great nightstand gun.

RevRay
04-21-2014, 05:20 AM
I'm with you David. I was on another forum and there was a thread by a guy with over 700 guns. It's like with Solomon and all his wives ... what do you do with all of them? And by the way guys ... it's a rhetorical question ... I'm not actually looking for descriptive answers!

muggsy
04-21-2014, 05:28 AM
How bout I give you a purpose, DavidS. Your purpose could be to honor Colt and one of the finest double action revolvers ever produced. You know damn well that you'll regret the sale as soon as it's gone. One can always acquire money. A top quality Colt in excellent condition is very hard to find. My purpose is to prevent you from making a decision that you'll always regret. I too, am a man of purpose. :)

b4uqzme
04-22-2014, 09:17 PM
DavidS. Your logic is reasonable and it is yours to decide. It sounds like you've pretty much set your mind anyways. But I try not to put too much stock in reason when it comes to firearm ownership. It's more about passion, fascination, and a whole lot of other emotions. Most any firearm will fulfill its logical purposes. But some guns are just special...yet everyone defines "special" for themselves.

DavidS
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
DavidS. Your logic is reasonable and it is yours to decide. It sounds like you've pretty much set your mind anyways. But I try not to put too much stock in reason when it comes to firearm ownership. It's more about passion, fascination, and a whole lot of other emotions. Most any firearm will fulfill its logical purposes. But some guns are just special...yet everyone defines "special" for themselves.
Thanks.
This Colt is an excellent firearm that I purchased some time back. It has become quite valuable monetarily over the years, but it is not "special" to me. So I will sell it - probably already did pending funds.
I have an early model Savage 32 that does not have a lot of monetary value, a few hundred bucks. But, it was may grandfather's (whom I never met) and my father's, so it is "special" to me. This is the one I keep.

garyb
04-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Welcome. Also retired and a 40 guy.

kwh
04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Agree with DavidS. If it is not special,so be it. There are others who would appreciate the Colt. As we grow older we realize you really can't take it with you, so spread the enjoyment around to others, as much as possible while we are here.

berettabone
04-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Welcome from another fart..............................40, my favorite caliber.

b4uqzme
04-24-2014, 06:11 PM
^^^^ exactly. I don't have a Colt Python either but I do have a K40. Just sayin'.

DavidS
05-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Final outcome?

I sold the Python.

For those of you concerned that I may have regrets , none whatsoever so far. And I bought this today to help stave off any future separation anxiety.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/DScholten/MK40Elite_zpsde5d33d5.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/DScholten/media/MK40Elite_zpsde5d33d5.jpg.html)

b4uqzme
05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
congrats...on all accounts.

berettabone
05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
For Kahr, that's a nice case................;)