PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boar hunt with a P45?

dorangolv
04-24-2014, 03:15 PM
It took a couple rounds before the hog went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheODRwalEw

*facepalm*

Try this one instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_W3HcGh-BE

Southerngunner
04-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Thats a Trace Adkins music video. Now I know why you have that avatar;):behindsofa:

TimtheRef
04-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I'll be doing some wild boar hunting this fall. But with a Marlin 30-30. I'll have my full size Springfield XD 45 on my hip for backup. Because if an angry hog charges I want the capacity to put it down. My Kahrs are fine for ccw but that's partially because most incidents are over in three shots or less. Hogs don't have the same fears as the bad guy.

dorangolv
04-25-2014, 08:12 PM

trooplewis
04-25-2014, 09:49 PM
I think the slow-moving 45ACP is a bad choice for boar. You need something that moves faster, like a hot .357, to get through the heavy layers to the vitals. That guy unloaded a full clip then went back for another clip before he dropped the animal. If it had charged him, he would have been severely mauled if not killed.

Those things are mean and have nasty tusks to go with their nasty tempers. I've seen a wild boar take out 6 of 12 dogs trying to corner it. (the owner of the dogs was clearly not doing a great job of training them)
Save the 45ACP for Javelina if you must use one to hunt pigs. If I was the guy in the video I would not have posted it for the public to watch.

muggsy
04-25-2014, 09:56 PM
How do you know that he hit the hog with the first mag? Could be that only two rounds hit the pig.

chrish
04-26-2014, 09:16 AM
If something can come at me with tusks, maul me, and potentially kill me. No thanks.

I'm going to the grocery store for my bacon.

Just sayin'.

marshal kane
04-26-2014, 09:36 AM
My ex-neighbor hunted wild boar also. He carried a .44 magnum Ruger carbine and a Ruger Redhawk. IMO, a much better choice than a Kahr P45. When hunting wild boar, you need something that will produce a one-shot kill at distance.

leftysixty
04-26-2014, 02:21 PM
And that's different from a big 'ol mean bad guy trying to kill you, How:eek:

May be the BG "knows" he's spos'ta drop dead when ya shoot him with a .45 :86:

AJBert
04-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Thats a Trace Adkins music video. Now I know why you have that avatar;):behindsofa:
I rather liked that video, never seen it before. Much better than hunting a hog with a .45 ACP, IMHO.

trooplewis
04-27-2014, 12:08 AM
How do you know that he hit the hog with the first mag? Could be that only two rounds hit the pig.If he went through the entire first mag and didn't hit the pig at all, that's just one more reason he should not be pistol hunting for wild boar. And one more reason I would not have posted a video of my ineptness and poor choice of hunting weapons.

chrish
04-27-2014, 12:34 PM
...one more reason I would not have posted a video of my ineptness...

A most excellent point...there are so many reasons NOT to have posted that video. It speaks volumes about the folks involved.

garyb
04-27-2014, 04:10 PM
If he went through the entire first mag and didn't hit the pig at all, that's just one more reason he should not be pistol hunting for wild boar. And one more reason I would not have posted a video of my ineptness and poor choice of hunting weapons.

Come on dude. Have you ever hunted hogs?

I hunted with Ron in Fl in the same place. WE had a great time. Guys hunt pigs with knives, tomahawks, spears, all kinds of guns. Nothing wrong with using a 45 at all. Did the pig go down? Yes it did. And I must say, it was good shooting. The first shot was obviously a moving shot and probably not a good one to take. However, with dogs, it does not really matter because they will run the pig down and give you another crack.

I've killed a number of pigs. One with a muzzle loader. One charging pig with a tomahawk between the eyes. I hunted with a Seal Team bud, and when the $hit hit the fan and my pig was down, we found him up in a tree hiding safely as he was trained to do. It gets kind of wild sometimes. Another bud, took his with a knife. The dog had the pig by the ear, he grabbed the pig by the back legs and flipped it, I held the pig down and he slit it. The 45 is a very good choice for dropping them from a safe distance.

Good post. Glad to hear Ron is still doing his thing. Brought back some good memories with old friends from the day.

CJB
04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Very nice of you to post a video of you illegally shooting a hog.

It is against the law to shoot from a vehicle while hunting, in Florida, and Ron ought to know better, private land or not, its still not legal.

trooplewis
04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
And yes, I have hunted wild boar. Killed one with a 357 Ruger Security Six with a 6-inch barrel. It only takes one shot to do it right. The one I shot would have easily killed a dog trying to hold it, must be tame ones they have in FL.

CJB
04-27-2014, 09:29 PM
yes, not wild, but feral

garyb
04-28-2014, 06:22 AM
And yes, I have hunted wild boar. Killed one with a 357 Ruger Security Six with a 6-inch barrel. It only takes one shot to do it right. The one I shot would have easily killed a dog trying to hold it, must be tame ones they have in FL.

Congrats to you. Good for you if you've never missed. I can't say the same.

garyb
04-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Good points CJB.....shooting off the buggy and "feral hogs". You are correct.

Unrelated....Fl pig hunting is neither pretty, nor a perfect sport. What you did not see on this vid was the scars and open wounds on the dogs. Nor did you hear about the number of dogs gored by the pigs. Did you notice the fence? There are (or were) FL free range pig hunts. Babcock Ranch in south central FL was an old cattle ranch with thousands of acres of open FL country with swamps, gators, snakes, pigs. I hunted there several times. Other outfitters also may have fenced hunts (which this might have been on the vid) where pigs get trapped some place and released just prior to a paid hunt in a fenced area. The outfitters may even have "trophy areas" where big pigs are fenced in for a hunt. The hunter may not even realize they are in an enclosure consisting of fence or wide ditches filled with water. The pigs get run to the borders by the dogs and the hunter catches up on a buggy to finish them off. That is all part of Fl pig hunting. Not a pretty sport, but a tradition and a business for some of these residents. When in Rome.....

Pigs must be controlled and hunters do their part. I'm not one to pick on another hunter. He may not have even known that you can't shoot off the buggy. The guy filmed his own pig hunt and got his pig. He may have missed, but Good for him for getting his pig with his handgun. There are plenty more pigs out there that need to be taken and it won't be his last miss. If you don't miss, you are damned lucky.

garyb
04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Very nice of you to post a video of you illegally shooting a hog.

It is against the law to shoot from a vehicle while hunting, in Florida, and Ron ought to know better, private land or not, its still not legal.

On second thought, I checked with my son-in-law who lives and hunts in FL. Here is the written regulation on shooting from a vehicle:

"Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel’s progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may take wildlife."

In other words, shut off the vehicle and vehicle must be stopped. I believe this was the case in the vid. He is getting clarification from a good friend of his who works with the FL Game Commission. If he gets a different answer, I will post it. Just to clarify.

Southerngunner
04-28-2014, 09:49 AM

That one works better.;)

CJB
04-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Looked like a breif stop but no shutoff to me...is why I called it. Of two Fl Fresh Water Fish and Game ozziferz i know.....i think theyd call that very iffy. Mostly wanna shoot from buggies set up as very stationary stands, is parked for the day in a known trail position for hog, deer, bear

garyb
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Could be. Point is that I originally agreed with you on not being legal to shoot from a vehicle. Not the case....as it is legal to do so. They were stopped when he shot, but it was hard to tell if engine was on or not, but I suspect you are correct. It would be difficult to prove anything was illegal from this vid. Oh well. Does not bother me. He got his pig with his 45 and filmed it.