PDA

View Full Version : Rounds diving in the magazine

BroncoAZ
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I have the P9 and PM9 listed in my sig. Something that has been bothering me is how the rounds below the top one dive down 20 degrees or so when the mags are loaded. When I strip the top round off the next one pops right up into place, but it still seems strange. I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific to this. Both guns run great with no issues.

joelotto
06-06-2010, 02:57 AM
I have read about it on here....my understanding is the bullet is smaller on one end and when you stack 6+ on top of each other you get that gap. That's why mags that can hold 10 or 20+ rounds are curved. :75:

jmstallard
06-06-2010, 04:27 AM
That's true for many rifle rounds, but measure the case of a standard handgun cartridge and I think you'll see it's cylindrical, not conic.

I've NEVER seen magazines, other than Kahr, that had that gap after the first round. It works for them, but it does seem add that they engineered it to function that way.

Bawanna
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
:) OK, that may be the problem. I put AMMO in my SIG'S, and try to keep the other pistols out of them. They seem to shoot better that way.

O........wait......sig???..short for signature ???

NEVERMIND...........................:D

ryoung, ease up a bit, my sides are killing me here. Your tearing me up.

jlottmc
06-06-2010, 11:53 AM
My Kimber mags for the 1911 do that, as do the P345 mags, come to think of it I've always had magazines do that very thing. They go bang when I pull the trigger, so I've never given it much thought.

bhp
06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
9mm has significantly more taper than some other handgun rounds. From the below dimensions 9mm has a taper of .97 degrees vs. .096 degrees for .40 S&W. It may not be much, but stacking a few together will cause much higher forces on the rear of the case at the top of the magazine.

File:40 S&W Scale Drawing.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:40_S%26W_Scale_Drawing.svg)
File:9x19mm Parabellum.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9x19mm_Parabellum.svg)