PDA

View Full Version : New member in "Mint and a Soda" (Minnesota as my nieces call it)

adooley
04-26-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a question but thought it more polite to intro first.

I have previously owned Kahr pistols but due to lapses in judgement I let them go. Last week I picked up a CW45 and am excited to have a 45 that weighs less than my most of my nines.

I plan on starting the break in period this next week but noticed that when manually racking the slide, any light pressure on the top of the slide over the muzzle will cause the entire slide to lock and not move. Visually the movement downward of the slide against the frame is less than 1mm, but it completely immobilizes the slide. Once the contact on the muzzle is removed, things move smoothly.

I've never seen this in any pistol I've ever owned. Has anyone ever come across this?

kwh
04-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Just now tried to replicate the above on my CW45 and you are right. My CW 45 functions just fine . Welcome to Kahr forums.

berettabone
04-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Welcome.............actually, it would be mint and pop.;)

adooley
04-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Just now tried to replicate the above on my CW45 and you are right. My CW 45 functions just fine . Welcome to Kahr forums.

Thanks for giving it a go. My assumption is that like many "issues" with Kahr pistols, this gets worked out after a couple hundred rounds, but the idea of the slide locking up when firing a round isn't comforting.

kwh
04-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for giving it a go. My assumption is that like many "issues" with Kahr pistols, this gets worked out after a couple hundred rounds, but the idea of the slide locking up when firing a round isn't comforting.
Tried pushing down of the front of the slide on my CM9 and CW .380,both of them rack back just fine. I have no concerns with my CW45 just because it does not. Even with cheap underpowered ammo and a non-Kahr magazine which would not completely cycle, the slide has never locked-up.

adooley
04-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Welcome.............actually, it would be mint and pop.;)

Well, we are transplants to the mid-West so it is soda for us. :)

adooley
04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Tried pushing down of the front of the slide on my CM9 and CW .380,both of them rack back just fine. I have no concerns with my CW45 just because it does not. Even with cheap underpowered ammo and a non-Kahr magazine which would not completely cycle, the slide has never locked-up.

Good to hear. Thanks again for the response and the welcome.

berettabone
04-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Well, we are transplants to the mid-West so it is soda for us. :)
I'm only a state away, and it's soda for us too;)

b4uqzme
04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Iced tea, lemon, no sugar. If you are asking. ;)

muggsy
04-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Since there is no downward pressure on the muzzle when you are shooting I wouldn't anticipate you having any problems. Put 50 rounds through the gun and see if the problem disappears. If you manipulate anything in an unusual manner you could get unusual results. Welcome aboard.

JohnR
04-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Iced tea, lemon, no sugar. If you are asking. ;)

Unsweet, most often. Sweet if I'm in the mood.

adooley
04-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Unsweet, most often. Sweet if I'm in the mood.

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking your orders. I'm game as long as you folks tip well, otherwise you're on your own.

JohnR
04-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Did someone say the bar was open? I'm changing my order, then!

pbagley
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
If I'm here then the bar is pretty low.

My CW45 for comparison:
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/13/62/95/74/20140422.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=669&u=13629574)

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/13/62/95/74/20140423.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=670&u=13629574)

The gap does tighten. When pressing down on the slide at the front it still moves reasonably normally. Current round count is only 370. I'll work on improving this later in the week.

warbird1
04-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Never heard of all that mint, pop and soda stuff down here but welcome to the forum from deep in the Heart of Dixie!

JohnR
04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
My plastic Kahr does that too, the slide moves <1mm like that. When I had a CW45 it did that, my steel models don't seem to move like that. If you dry fire, the slide moves when the trigger breaks. I thought it was odd, but everyone here said it was normal. :o

adooley
04-29-2014, 07:15 AM
I spent the better part of an hour in front of the idiot box last night working the slide. After what I assume is a few hundred repetitions the lock up has all but resolved itself. If I push down on the front hard enough it will still happen, but nowhere near as easily as it did out of the box. I'm chalking it up to needing some break in time.

Time to go work that slide for real this week. I've got ammo that needs shooting.

adooley
05-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I took "the little 45 that could" to the range today and fed it a standard diet of 100rds 230gr FMJ.

It gobbled it all up. In the first 50rds I had three failure to feeds. I quick tap on the magazine base plate and the round seated and I was in business. After that I didn't have another problem.

As for the slide locking up, that has all but been resolved. Between the hour on the couch racking the slide and the 100rds today it takes a lot of effort to reproduce. I imagine that another 100rds will make it go away. Must be that magic 200rds break in requirement.

In the end I only have one lingering problem; a desire to pick up a CW9 I saw at the store today. It seems to be speaking to me...