PDA

View Full Version : Cm9 after 1 year

dohcacr
04-27-2014, 11:45 AM
I bought my CM9 last April, and it's been my ccw for the last year. I try to shoot it as much as I can, while giving equal time to My G26 and my Sarsilmaz K2p. At this time I've put about 500 rounds through the Kahr with zero failures, but I've never really felt that good about MY performance with the CM9. On a scale of 1-10 the CM9 earns a 10, while I'm lucky to earn a 7. What's really frustrating is that I've been shooting 9mm for almost 20 years, and up until today I felt like my skills were getting worse instead of better. Like most new CM9 shooters I have been shooting consistently low, blaming it on my technique(not the Kahr), but still feeling I could stop a bad guy if the need arose.

I shoot at my neighbors backyard range, a couple times a month, and always leave feeling good about the experience, but feeling I should have shot better. That is until today. Today I feel like I made a breakthrough. My goals for today were to sight in the K2P, which always takes me more ammo than it should. So I put 40 rounds through the K2P, 10 through the G26, and 10 through the Kahr.

Today was the first time I tried to shoot the Kahr with a smooth double action trigger pull, and I'm blown away by the results. The first 5 rounds through the Kahr were equally consistant, but were fired into to a badly shot up target so it would prove nothing to post it. The second 5 rounds target is posted below. The squares are 7/8", the distance 9 yds, and the CM9 fired from a bench rest. I'm so tickled with the results that I'm going to the switch to the smooth DA trigger pull technique on the Glock and SAR K2P as well. Please forgive an old man for bragging, it's not often that I have reason.:D

https://copy.com/t418I6eUtvRM

Rubb
04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
nice shooting!

Cubby
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
So what were you trying to do? Stage the trigger?

dohcacr
04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
So what were you trying to do? Stage the trigger?

Yep, exactly.

happypuppy
04-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes I fire mine like a j frame. I used the middle finger pad to like on a revolver with a heavy trigger.

Just ' bout the action Boss...

leftysixty
04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
By golly I think you've got it!:D

Carry on, you'll only get better. :amflag:

codegeek
04-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Nice shootin! The spring kit from Galloway will make that trigger pull a lot smoother, just sayin...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

dohcacr
04-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Nice shootin! The spring kit from Galloway will make that trigger pull a lot smoother, just sayin...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Already installed, but thanks for the suggestion.

pbagley
04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Exactly what I do - stage the trigger just like you would any revolver. With 90% of the trigger taken up, align the sights as best you can and complete the trigger pull. My best groups are with premium defense ammo and handloads. Ball ammo seems to be marginal in the accuracy department.

That group should translate to a 3" or so group at 25 yards, which is excellent for a subcompact.

dohcacr
04-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Exactly what I do - stage the trigger just like you would any revolver. With 90% of the trigger taken up, align the sights as best you can and complete the trigger pull .

I guess I haven't been clear about the new technique I'm using. pbagley, what you described above is the technique I've always used. Now I don't stage the trigger. I hold the sights on the target, while doing a full smooth pull of the trigger, with no pause at the break point.

If I were to guess why it works for me, It would be that I'm more apt to anticipate the discharge and recoil, and flinch, while squeezing the trigger at the break point.

hardluk1
04-28-2014, 06:51 AM
That's some good shooting. You may be a better shooter than most of use . When I change trigger pull types/brands on range day I tend to throw away the first mag full when changing firearms . I find it hard to go from a nice staged DA revolver trigger or a little SA to my kahrs. I always shoot my carry pistol last and it takes me a full mag to get my finger and head together again. I do find I am pulling on the trigger well before the sights have come back on target. No stagged feeling with these kahrs but I do start a trigger pull as I am coming back on target , when the sights settler finish the pull.

Keep up the good shooting.

Cubby
04-28-2014, 07:11 AM
I guess I haven't been clear about the new technique I'm using. pbagley, what you described above is the technique I've always used. Now I don't stage the trigger. I hold the sights on the target, while doing a full smooth pull of the trigger, with no pause at the break point.

If I were to guess why it works for me, It would be that I'm more apt to anticipate the discharge and recoil, and flinch, while squeezing the trigger at the break point.

I shoot my defensive guns like you do. In a defensive situation you are not going to take time to stage a trigger! If you do, you lose!!!

dohcacr
04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
I shoot my defensive guns like you do. In a defensive situation you are not going to take time to stage a trigger! If you do, you lose!!!

I totally agree, and that is one of the very good reasons that I considered changing my technique to begin with. To take that one more step, it makes sense to use this technique(imo) on all pistols, whether SA or DA. I first read of this technique in an internet article by Massad Ayoob (How to shoot a handgun accurately). (http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html) [/URL]It's worth reading If you haven't read it[URL="http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html"].
(http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html)