PDA

View Full Version : Girls went shooting today, cw9 is gone .

hardluk1
05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
My wife and daughters went to a meeting of a new chapters first meeting of The Well Armed Women in out area. My oldest daughter has been eyeing my cw9 lately. I don't carry it any more since I bought the tp40 so I told her if she wanted to give it a try , go ahead. Big mistake . She can rack it like a man would rack a softly sprung 9mm 1911. Pull from the rear and snap release like you would a .22lr . My wife said she shot it well and is tickled with it even with the +P ammo. After a 13ox 38sp P+ revolver I guess it is easier to shot. Best shooter was the youngest with her bersa 380 CC . Its good to know your children and wife can shoot well.

Oh , it was a nice pistol. Now what to buy, what to buy next.

Jollyrogers
05-03-2014, 06:09 PM
are you think Kahr or??? and for what purpose? Awesome that the women in your life are shooters!!! My sons are also along with the wife. My wife can't handle the 9, but does good with her BF380:-)

hardluk1
05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
What's your first two lines read a bit odd to me ! I'm not the best typist ether but I'm lost.

They all CC and the kahr would be just an upgrade for my oldest daughter to carry. My wife carry's ether a new thin Taurus pt111g2 or a m&p9c with a apex kit.

muggsy
05-03-2014, 07:25 PM
The CW9 is so inexpensive that you could get one for each of the women in your life. Who knows, the life they save may be your own. :)

Jollyrogers
05-03-2014, 08:37 PM
What's your first two lines read a bit odd to me ! I'm not the best typist ether but I'm lost.

Sorry on phone using tapatalk.

I was asking if you think another Kahr is in your future and what the purpose of your next purchase would be for. I assume concealed carry, but you may have that covered already and want to get a range toy to replace the CW9. Range toys are fun and can be nice to serve in the HD role... like a FNX-45T or such... but if you want another CC piece, I would say a PM9... or?

hardluk1
05-04-2014, 06:05 AM
I have 27 years of CC'n and many more years shooting or hunting with handguns. Kahrs are very good well rounded defense handguns. There not the best at anything and not a good choice for a newbe or novice shooter as a only handgun or limited choice to carry. They take a certain amount of control and strength to master many ladies and some men don't have.

But what sold me was have a solid line of handguns from the cm9 to the tp series that can fill any CC needs I may have and NOT have to deal with learning a different functioning handgun. I want a cc handgun to be a natural to me. I started hunting with a sa da revolver , carried a da revolver for 20 years before moveing to pistols and finally settled with kahr but have stayed with the longer trigger pull for defense needs.

Range guns? Not even sure that that means today. I have more fun with a ruger mkIII with a nice aftermarket 2lb trigger pull. With its ammo of choice its very accurate and a ball to shoot but enjoy the many handgun models from 22 to 44 mag. I currently have a 1911 as a house gun but waiting on a glock 41 and the 1911 will go to a son-in-law. We have no favorite brand here and the women around me with a little input pick what they want to carry and my only job then is to break in it and proof it. Most be trouble free for 400 + rounds or its not carried.

So good luck with your choices.

hardluk1
05-04-2014, 06:17 AM
muggsy Yea , and I would but my youngest girl can bear'ly rack the cw9 , grunting like a bear doing it and is not found of the recoil of ether the cm9 or cw9. She 5-3 and 105 lbs girly girl. Shes diedly with a bersa 380 and has a tcp as backup. Wife is recoil sensitive and not found of my kahrs ether. She is fine with weight of her m&p9c and the new Taurus pt111g2. Hope the taurus holds up as well as my kahrs as it is a very nice pistol. Size is between a shield and m&p9c. . If I was a newbe to CC'n looking today for a solid handgun it would be hard for me to pass up. It will use several 17 round mags as back ups too like the m&pc.

Jollyrogers
05-04-2014, 07:11 AM

I have 27 years of CC'n and many more years shooting or hunting with handguns...

Range guns? Not even sure that that means today. I have more fun with a ruger mkIII...

So good luck with your choices.

I'm not the one shopping. I thought you were? I guess that sentence in your first post was more of a statement and not a question, as I took it.
Glad to know you have so much experience and enjoy so many different pistols. So do I, and I am only new to Kahr, as of a little over 2 months ago picked up a PM9 and last week a P380. I too have been shooting for 40 years, reloading for 20+, and CC for about 20. I don't hunt with handguns, only rifle or shotgun. A range gun to me is something for competition that you are willing to mod as it is never meant for carry or HD. Right now I am dealing with a chicken killer, choice there is a PMR30. The critter got into the coup and henhouse Friday night and wreaked havoc! I also enjoy my Ruger MkI for plinking, and many other brands and models from new to old. Not a revolver fan, though my dad is, and apparently I am going to inherit those, so he tells me when he makes it up and we shoot 'em on my range out back.

Good luck with your choices also, but I ain't shopping right now... until I get a bigger safe at least.

340pd
05-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Small framed semi autos from ANY manufacturer will malfunction from time to time.
90% of the time I see the shooter set the gun on the bay bench, raise their hand, and ask what happened.

Work hard with her on malfunction drills of every type. In a carry gun, that could be a lifesaver.
Start here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILfYGgr4kKg

garyb
05-04-2014, 08:27 AM
My wife and daughters went to a meeting of a new chapters first meeting of The Well Armed Women in out area. My oldest daughter has been eyeing my cw9 lately. I don't carry it any more since I bought the tp40 so I told her if she wanted to give it a try , go ahead. Big mistake . She can rack it like a man would rack a softly sprung 9mm 1911. Pull from the rear and snap release like you would a .22lr . My wife said she shot it well and is tickled with it even with the +P ammo. After a 13ox 38sp P+ revolver I guess it is easier to shot. Best shooter was the youngest with her bersa 380 CC . Its good to know your children and wife can shoot well.

Good quality family time. Good for them.

hardluk1
05-04-2014, 11:00 AM
My wife used a small red light to see with and a old 511p .22 loaded with cb's for a raccoon problem we had some years ago. Man she was bad news with that thing. All you would hear was the firing pin drop and softer" put" sound from the barrel. At 28 yards the raccoons would not even run. One night she shot 3 of them with out them running. werd. Joking about a replacement for carry. Got enough for now but am waiting on the glock 41.

340pd Other than some issues with .22ammo in the pistols, remmy mainly I have never had a problem with a centerfire pistol malfunction. Problably some luck involved and maybe the ammo used . Sure ain't overall skill level. Only average for skills or lower sometimes. I do believe in feeding firearm with a better class of ammo, holding on tightly and running them wet when new. Then see what you can get away with and some dumb luck.

garyb Yea, as time goes by family does not spend enough quality time together. Both girls are married and have children. Its good then the girls get together for a day and shooting has always been in all our lives so atleast once a month they can spend a day together hanging out and getting some extra range/training time too. They have a long retired marine small arms weapons instructor to work with them. That's a plus to me. And I get to take our oldest 8 year old grand kid shooting to a range too.

Barth
05-05-2014, 05:10 PM

You have to buy a new gun?
What a heart breaker - LOL!
I'm having a hard time feeling your pain...

Armybrat
05-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Well, I'm envious of Hardluk, as my wife of 46+ years has never fired a gun in her life even though she was raised in a small Texas town and has me (what the grabbers call a "gun nut") for a husband. Just about everybody in her family & mine are gun owners & shooters.

Go figure.

:yo:

hardluk1
05-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Barth Just joking about the new gun.

Armybrat. Our first date in 1976 was a weekend trip to the Fakahatchee swamp in S W Florida with the our 4x4 club and some range time at camp . She had not been around firearms or the swamps but had no fear of them. Figure I might as well start off with what I enjoyed doing right off. No use wasting time with a nice girl if she hates firearms and the wilder woods. She took to my colt huntsman and my dan Wesson 357 right off and been a shooter with me ever since. Almost 38 years together and counting. Live is good.