PDA

View Full Version : NY Solar Warning

garyb
05-04-2014, 11:05 AM
We put solar electric and water on our home about 3 yrs ago. We felt we were doing the right thing for the environment and would cut our expenses during our retirement years. It did cut our electric costs to ZERO and our propane consumption by about $200 / yr for hot water. That's right, we no longer pay for electric. We produce enough electric to cover the meter, line and billing charges too. We took the risk of going solar and made the up front expense which is like pre paying for the electric. The return on investment of some where around 12 yrs by taking advantage of the Federal and State incentives. So in effect, we prepaid for our electric for 12 yrs or so, and after electric and hot water would be free....or so we thought.

Now our property was reassessed because it is deemed a property improvement. Imagine that. Having solar panels on your property improves it. Our assessment went up by the cost of the solar systems. NY is gracious enough to grant a 15 yr exemption on that reassessment. But after that we pay higher taxes by what we estimate will be 50% of the savings on our energy costs due to solar. So in effect, what we will save in electric, we pay 1/2 of that in higher taxes. The only saving grace is that energy costs go up. But then again, so do taxes.

If you are considering solar.....it works. It works well. But first investigate what will happen to your property value and taxes.

And our country is encouraging solar. Bull! There is no way to win.

muggsy
05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
They get ya coming and going, Gary. You should have known that. Going green means more green for the government and less for you. The government forced the automakers to increase fuel mileage and then raised taxes on gasoline because we were using less fuel. It's a vicious cycle with you getting it in the end.

bob98366
05-04-2014, 02:25 PM
That's similar to the TV ads New York State is running touting how great NY is to move your business to. Get 10 years no business taxes but after that look out. No mention in the ad of personal income tax, sales tax, property tax and nanny state laws. I'll pass, even though upstate is beautiful.

TheTman
05-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Dang property taxes, they always mess you around one way or another. This year was a hefty increase because they felt the value of my out buildings had been undervalued in the past, and they are hiking my taxes based on my 3 out buidings, a smallish barn, with 2 levels, but only about 15 x 30, and 2 car detached garage with work area, and an old corrugated shack, that is full old building materials. And they couldn't do it over a few years time, they increased them all and my tax value went up around $40K or so. I am protesting, but that usually gets you no where, I've done it before, and they lower your value for a year, then hike it back up the next.

My taxes took a hike a few years ago when the small town down the road went on an annexation spree and annexed anything it could connect too. My not so bright Uncle that owned the farmland that surrounds my house ASKED them to annex his property, after the tax department head told him a pack of lies about bringing out city water and gas. For all the extra taxes I pay, I've received exactly nothing. We were promised streetlights at the very least, and city water and gas, but that never materialized, they are waiting on some developer to buy some of this land and turn it into a new suburban subdivision, and make him pay for the water and gas lines, but no one has developed the property. So I pay extra for I guess the right to call the City Police, (I would ask for the Sheriff anyway, before asking that they send Barney Fife out, some of them are about that bad, they have hired some pretty good guys lately though. At one time they had a convicted Felon working on force, who wore a gun and patrolled the streets in his cruiser, and gave out tickets and all the normal cop stuff, it was quite embarrassing for the town when he was found out and people raised hell with city hall). And while all the people attended the meeting about getting annexed, one of the greedy beyotches said that since we drive on their roads, then we need to pay our part to keep them up. What a load of manure. I guess if you don't live in the town, then you shouldn't drive on their roads. Idiots. all they want is everyone's tax money. :31:

At least they didn't change school districts on me, and my kids got to finish school in the other nearby town that I used to be considered a part of. Funny thing I still have that town's zip code, and they still deliver my mail.

garyb
05-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I understand Tman....very frustrating. If they used the money for a good purpose, we would not mind. The politicians are the ones raping us.

nuke
05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
So many municipalities are unbelievably creating so much red tape for solar and others are out-right making home solar impossible to permit. I'm an electrical engineer (contract) in the nuclear power industry and it disgusts me how the average person is being cornered by the utilities and government.

However, from the standpoint of industrial sized wind and solar, people aren't aware how those (and other renewables) only can provide reliable power as an ADDITION to the base load provided by coal, oil, gas and nuclear. Utilities are mandated to add renewables to their mix but besides how it doesn't suit our need for always available power and consumption, it also creates major issues when renewables are relied upon in many situations and then simply "go away" (clouds, wind suddenly drops).

If I knew that it would be seen during a reassessment, I'd locate it in the back of my property where the assessor won't go.

ltxi
05-04-2014, 06:15 PM
My brother, who's lived in upstate NY since forever and who has more money than god, finally just got fed up with their property taxes a couple of years back, sold the home, and bought a different $2M mansion on the beach in Rehoboth, Delaware. His property tax bill dropped from around $45K to, If I remember correctly, somewhere around 12 to 15 thousand dollars.

yqtszhj
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
My brother, who's lived in upstate NY since forever and who has more money than god, finally just got fed up with their property taxes a couple of years back, sold the home, and bought a different $2M mansion on the beach in Rehoboth, Delaware. His property tax bill dropped from around $45K to, If I remember correctly, somewhere around 12 to 15 thousand dollars.

He may have all that but in my opinion you have the better location regardless (Colorado.) Just sayin ;)

ltxi
05-04-2014, 08:09 PM
No question. Ain't no jealousy here. Brother's a materialist who's spent his life focused on possessions and money. Six thousand sq ft house for just him and his trophy wife. Ain't my style, not in the least.

100percent
05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Gary,
We heat with wood. Spend about 10-20 dollars for fuel and 2-stroke oil for a years worth of heat. We have a tractor and a chainsaw.

Time to get out of a state that considers you a parasite, and become a citizen rather than a subject.

garyb
05-05-2014, 04:27 AM
So many municipalities are unbelievably creating so much red tape for solar and others are out-right making home solar impossible to permit. I'm an electrical engineer (contract) in the nuclear power industry and it disgusts me how the average person is being cornered by the utilities and government.

However, from the standpoint of industrial sized wind and solar, people aren't aware how those (and other renewables) only can provide reliable power as an ADDITION to the base load provided by coal, oil, gas and nuclear. Utilities are mandated to add renewables to their mix but besides how it doesn't suit our need for always available power and consumption, it also creates major issues when renewables are relied upon in many situations and then simply "go away" (clouds, wind suddenly drops).

If I knew that it would be seen during a reassessment, I'd locate it in the back of my property where the assessor won't go.

I hear ya Nuke. Problem is that you must pull a permit to install solar PV here, because it involves electrical work. There is no way around the assessment. If you are on the grid, NYSEG must install a special digital meter that shows how much energy we send back to the grid vs how much energy we use. Must have a permit to get all this stuff hooked up. I am not certain if this takes place if you are off the grid. However, can be a real challenge to conceal the solar panels due to their proximity to the home and the fact that you need a big open area of direct sun which will not be shaded by trees or buildings. They got us.

garyb
05-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Gary,
We heat with wood. Spend about 10-20 dollars for fuel and 2-stroke oil for a years worth of heat. We have a tractor and a chainsaw.

Time to get out of a state that considers you a parasite, and become a citizen rather than a subject.

I used to heat partly with wood too 100%....back in the day when I was younger and cut my own. We did solar, in part, because it requires no labor and would benefit us in our later yrs....our 3rd trimester so to speak...LOL. But you do bring up a very good point. I don't believe the town is assessing the outdoor wood furnaces, but they assess solar as a home improvement. Are they discriminating? It turns out that the brother of two local town councilmen has an outdoor wood furnace. Some folks can put additions on their home...no reassessment....brother is on the town council. Some put back up home generators on their homes....no reassessment.....brother is on the town council. How is that different from a solar service? I may hire a lawyer and pursue this issue. Excellent point 100%....thanks for bringing this up.

knkali
05-05-2014, 07:40 AM
people are afraid of it and it is a hot topic BUT if you want affordable power(for now) and plentiful power got to go nuke. It works.

Armybrat
05-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Nuke is the best option for the US now, natural gas #2, then solar.

Here in Texas we have the biggest wind farms in the US that produce lots of power - except during the blazing hot drought summers when we need it the most. The wind doesn't blow from July to September! :mad:

bob98366
05-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Our assessor compares aerial photos to find new construction/add-ons (Google Earth, etc.). You can't hide from the tax man.

nuke
05-06-2014, 07:42 PM
... You can't hide from the tax man.

We just haven't figured it out yet... ;)