PDA

View Full Version : New Memba and Kahr CM9 owna from New Yawk

AnthonyC
05-05-2014, 11:32 PM
I have been stalking around a bit and had posted this on another gun forum I read but thought I should introduce myself here:

"Just picked up my new Kahr CM9 and so far I am very pleased with it.

I have standard Bersa Thunder 380 (not the CC, Combat or the Plus) that has been a very reliable gun. It is easy to shoot, easy to breakdown and easy to clean. I am someone who likes the safety mechanisms due to my various job requirements. Nevertheless, they have never caused me any problems. However, it is a large (Length: 6.6”, Height:4.9”Width: 1.3”) and heavy (Weight:20 oz.) for a gun that shoots 380. With summer coming I was looking for a smaller, lighter pocket pistol, possibly something I can carry while I go jogging. Also wanted to upgrade to a 9mm. I can't find .380 ammo around me anyway. Already have a S&W SD40 for the increase caliber and capacity as a home defense gun.
I really liked the Sig P290RS and P938. I was ready to buy a Sig290RS with a laser at Gander when I decided to check out the LGS again and he said he could get me a new Kahr CM9 or CM40 for under $400, which in these parts of NY is pretty good. Given the price and weight difference I decided to go with the Kahr rather than the Sig. I choose the 9mm because I think a .40 would be too much recoil for me in such a small package. Also the 9mm mag carries an extra round. I also grabbed a used 7 round mag with pinky extension they had lying around.

I have only put 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ through it but so far no hiccups. I have read about Kahrs having some troubles in the first 200 rounds until the gun is broken in so I was a little anxious about this but the thing was flawless with both mags. The slide is challenging to rack and I still getting used to not having a hammer and a decocker. It seems weird to not have a saftey.

This morning I did follow some of the prep and cleaning instructions they have on KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.kahrtalk.com/forum.php) under the Kahr Tech section.

It so small and light I can see myself comfortably pocket carrying this gun with a pocket holster at times but I think my main carry method will still be IWB.

Still carrying the Bersa until I've put another 200-300 rounds through it but I am trying to decide is whether or not to keep it. It has been super reliable and I do harbor the hope that my wife will want to get her pistol permit someday but she has told several times she does not want to. However, it won't fill any role I can think of. The .380 ammo if too expensive to plink with, I won't carry it if the Kahr continues to be reliable and I don't need a night stand gun although I don't think a low capacity .380 without a light would make a good choice for that anyway. And selling it would allow me to buy more mags, ammo and fund more training for the Kahr:D"

DavidR
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Good choice. The slide will get a little easier to rack but it will always be stiff.

getsome
05-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Welcome to Kahrtalk AnthonyC....Congrats on the new CM9 and glad it's working out so well for you....The prep work in the sticky really does help in getting off to a good start with these pistols as they are super tight from the factory....I'm sure you have read about the broken follower problem so keep an eye on it but hopefully it wont be an issue for you.......

The Kahr is a safe pistol even with no external manual safety so as long as you carry it in a good holster that keeps the trigger guard covered you wont have any problems....IMHO a safety is just something that the lawyers require and in a shtf situation will be in your way....We all have a built in safety between our ears which is directly connected to our trigger finger so as long as the gun is in a good holster and you keep your finger off the bang lever you wont have any problems....

Now about your Bersa, you can sell it but you probably wont get much money for it and I guarantee that you will be sorry you got rid of an accurate reliable well made pistol like that...I would hold on to it and pass it on to a grandchild maybe to get them started in the shooting sports....It's your choice but I've never gotten rid of a gun that I didn't regret doing it later on...

Again welcome to the gang and enjoy the new pistol...

pbagley
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Welcome from another CM9 owner. It's a good start. I agree with GetSome on all points. He beat me to the good advice.

Practice often with the little CM9. Small DAO's are tough to shoot accurately. The efforts are worth it for improving your skills. I find myself shooting subcompact DAO's more than anything else these days just for the fun and challenge.