PDA

View Full Version : When and/or where do you NOT carry?

rkenaston
05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I live in Oregon and have only been carrying for a month. I'm curious when you all DON'T conceal carry. I understand it will depend on where you live and what the laws are, but what about the places that you could carry but it would be frowned upon if you anyone knew...like maybe church or a school or a fair etc...Thanks, everyone. Just attempting to learn from others who have been carrying for a while.

berettabone
05-09-2014, 05:36 PM
I live in Oregon and have only been carrying for a month. I'm curious when you all DON'T conceal carry. I understand it will depend on where you live and what the laws are, but what about the places that you could carry but it would be frowned upon if you anyone knew...like maybe church or a school or a fair etc...Thanks, everyone. Just attempting to learn from others who have been carrying for a while.
I don't carry when I'm sleepinghttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

deadeye
05-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Never in the shower or bath. Otherwise ----------

rkenaston
05-09-2014, 05:48 PM
I don't carry when I'm sleepinghttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

lol. Point taken...

Barth
05-09-2014, 06:00 PM
I frown upon not carrying when I can.
http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/no-2.jpg

Bawanna
05-09-2014, 06:38 PM
In my younger more paranoid days I always put my 1911 in a doubled zip lock bag and took it in the shower with me. I've grown softer and more careless with time.

Being able to carry quite often dictates where I will go. If there's metal detectors I usually don't go there.
Now they pat down folks at basball and foot ball games, fortunately I never go to those anyhow so no loss.

Schools churches, anything but a court house I go fully dressed.

I'm a sheepdog.

rkenaston
05-09-2014, 07:17 PM
In my younger more paranoid days I always put my 1911 in a doubled zip lock bag and took it in the shower with me. I've grown softer and more careless with time.

Being able to carry quite often dictates where I will go. If there's metal detectors I usually don't go there.
Now they pat down folks at basball and foot ball games, fortunately I never go to those anyhow so no loss.

Schools churches, anything but a court house I go fully dressed.

I'm a sheepdog.

I have to say that's the first I've heard of anyone carrying in the shower!

SlowBurn
I'm comfortable not carrying where there are adequate armed guards - courthouse for example.

ltxi
Not in my government office or anywhere else, such as court house/post office/commercial passenger aircraft/etc, where specifically prohibited. Otherwise everywhere and always.....outside of my home. Including posted businesses. Not as paranoid as Bawanna, though, so not and never have in the shower.

h2ohhh
05-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I can't carry in my government building either which I hate since you are prone to disgruntled psychos walking in. But everywhere that its legal I'm totin'. Even in church.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

knkali
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I aint saying. It is for the BG to find out

WMac19
05-09-2014, 10:08 PM
If it's legal, I don't worry about it being frowned upon. My wife doesn't carry but she knows I do and likes that I do. Nobody else knows because I don't talk about it.

But as per personal choice in not carrying where I could? The gym, during my workout. Walk in and walk out with it but I'm not comfortable working out with it on my body.

muggsy
05-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Never in the shower or bath. Otherwise ----------

Me to neither, Deadeye, but I keep my P380 on the soap dish. :)

FLBri
05-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I can't carry in my government building either which I hate since you are prone to disgruntled psychos walking in. But everywhere that its legal I'm totin'. Even in church.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would have to say that church is one place I am fairly sure to be carrying. I can't think of a place regarded as more vulnerable .... and also susceptible to 'varied" personalities.

muggsy
05-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I carry at all times except where prohibited by law.

CJB
05-10-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't carry at work, but do carry to work, and from, and all other times, except:

a. While intentionally immersed in water
b. While sleeping, in which case a Kahr PM45 is under my pillow, an 870 is at the headboard, and and M4 is sleeping next to me.

That's about it!

Regarding firearms and water..... I've been known to put my field stripped Colt stainless .45 in the dishwasher, and always put the Ruger Old Army in the dishwasher when through shootin'. The Kahr PM's have been in one of my pockets while out riding, and gotten caught in the rain. I been soaked for a full day, gotten into a hotel room and just peeled off my soaked clothes, given the PM45 a bit of a drying down and thats the worst its been for the wear.

And..... btw, you can take a little wad of hotel kleenex, and shove it down a .45 barrel with one of those freebie hotel imprinted pens, and it dries 'em out just like shovin' a tampon up your nose for a nosebleed. Unlike a nosebleed, you can get a little SAE-50 from your ride's dipstick, and shove a second little wad of kleenex through the barrel as a preservative, if you feel so inclined. I am so inclined. However, the same preservative in your nose tends to make the world smell like a Harley shop for days.... not altogether bad, but it has no real preservative qualities.

hardluk1
05-11-2014, 06:31 AM
I carry every where its legal to do so when I walk out the from door at home.

muggsy
05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
I carry every where its legal to do so when I walk out the from door at home.

If you are ever a victim of a home invasion you'll learn not to be so careless at home. A neighbor of mine just walked out to the mailbox to get the morning paper and was attacked by a pair of pit bulls. One can never be too careful.

Longitude Zero
05-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I have to say that's the first I've heard of anyone carrying in the shower!

John Wayne in Big Jake. The only place I do not carry is when I am at the airport. I have guns ate lunging distance in my home. Bathroom included.

rkenaston
05-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Thank you for all the input! The only places I don't carry at this point are at work, in restricted federal buildings and in the shower. I always have a firearm close to me at home if not on my person.

Harrylee
05-11-2014, 01:14 PM
The only time I don’t carry is when I leave Pa and cross the river to new jersey to do work. And you don’t want to get caught there!!

TheTman
05-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I carry everywhere that it's not a big deal to get caught carrying. I don't carry into things like the Post Office, Government buildings, and other places where it's more than just a misdemeanor if you get caught.

Armybrat
05-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Whenever my pants are on.

Bob T
05-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Call me crazy..but I've had my IL CCW since March and have yet to find any reason to carry anywhere.....:confused:

pbagley
05-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Call me crazy..but I've had my IL CCW since March and have yet to find any reason to carry anywhere.....:confused:

Won't call you crazy. When I first got my permit I did not carry much. I felt very self conscious, as if the carried firearm was sticking out for all to see.

I've become more comfortable about it over the past two years. I don't carry at work - their rules, and I want to keep my job. Weekends I generally do. When I'm going to be in the company of huggers I tend to go with mouse gun wallet carry. Huggers will grab you around the waist, but rarely grab your backside, making wallet carry preferable to IWB.

rkenaston
05-11-2014, 10:06 PM

What was the motivation behind obtaining your CCL if you don't see any reason to carry? I carry for that off chance that there will be a reason at some point. Hopefully it will never come to that but I want the option to defend my family and myself in the face of an off chance scenario.

RRP
05-12-2014, 03:42 AM

By obtaining your CCW, you are sending a message to all politicians that 2A is a freedom you value and they should not take it away.

You stood up to be counted and that is important. I wish everyone would do the same, whether or not they choose to carry.

AIRret
05-12-2014, 06:22 AM
By obtaining your CCW, you are sending a message to all politicians that 2A is a freedom you value and they should not take it away.

You stood up to be counted and that is important. I wish everyone would do the same, whether or not they choose to carry.

+1 RRP

I carry everywhere it's legal, without exception.

rkenaston
05-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Well put!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DKD
05-12-2014, 07:54 AM
I have lived in Florida for a very long time...over 35 years now. I carried in my vehicle back in 1979-1990 when it was legal (legal now as well) since your vehicle is an extension of your home according to Florida law as long as it is in holster in the glove box or pistol rug etc....just can't be immediately accessible for those how don't have a CCW.
Since then I carry everywhere at all times except as not authorized by law. I even carry at home or when out in the yard around the house.
I even w I certify others to carry as an Instructor....just doing my part for the second amendment.

"An armed society is a polite society"

ltxi
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
................... motivation behind obtaining your CCL if you don't see any reason to carry...........

In many places it's required to allow carry of a loaded firearm in a vehicle. In some states it's required to stay legal while hunting and carrying a sidearm under a coat.

In Mass immediately post 1 July 75 a concealed carry permit was required to transport/possess any firearm beyond the bounds of one's own property.

rkenaston
05-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I see. Thank you!

ripley16
05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
When and/or where do you NOT carry?

At home.

Schools.

Quantico and other federally restricted areas.

blackbird94
05-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I work in a lot of medical facilities, can't carry there. There are a lot of other places, at this moment, in Michigan you can't carry. Otherwise, carrying is just part of getting dressed.

bob98366
05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Other than legally forbidden areas where a body search might happen (military bases, court house, etc.), I carry all the time. We live on small acreage with at least two resident black bears and coyotes nearby, so I open carry outside our fenced area. I have noticed that we purposely don't go onto military bases to shop since starting carrying.

johnh
05-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Work, and going to and from there. I am in an off limits occupation in Missouri. Otherwise I always am if out and about.

rkenaston
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I haven't been to a sporting event lately. Do they metal detect or pat down when entering pro events??

Bob T
05-14-2014, 03:30 PM
What was the motivation behind obtaining your CCL if you don't see any reason to carry? I carry for that off chance that there will be a reason at some point. Hopefully it will never come to that but I want the option to defend my family and myself in the face of an off chance scenario.

Bingo! I've supported the right to carry for decades, and living IL I never thought we would get it, so I had to be a part of it.

Plus, the wife and I do travel by motorcycle several times a year. And having been broken down on the side of some little two lane road, in the middle of nowhere, at night, is no fun. So I do plan on carrying when traveling. (Where legal, of course)

rkenaston
05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Bingo! I've supported the right to carry for decades, and living IL I never thought we would get it, so I had to be a part of it.

Plus, the wife and I do travel by motorcycle several times a year. And having been broken down on the side of some little two lane road, in the middle of nowhere, at night, is no fun. So I do plan on carrying when traveling. (Where legal, of course)

Right on. That makes sense.