PDA

View Full Version : FFL holder necessary?

mickeyfinn
05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Kahr asked me to send them my slide. And I did.

They've decided to replace the slide and now they want the frame too so they can make sure everything fits.

My question is, can they mail me what will be the complete pistol or do I have to pay an FFL holder again? The serial number on the pistol will remain the same so it's not a transfer.

zamboni
05-10-2014, 09:23 PM
You can mail the frame directly to them and they will mail directly to you...Just don't mail it USPS.

mp95b
05-10-2014, 09:23 PM
You can use an FFL dealer to mail the frame to Kahr, a little cheaper than overnight UPS or FEDEX. But Kahr might provide a pre-paid label for you to use. As far as you receiving the pistol from Kahr...NO you will not have to use an FFL, The factory can mail the pistol directly to your street address, adult signature required.

wyntrout
05-10-2014, 10:02 PM
They use FedEx and should email you a label. You can MAIL a slide, but not the frame or whole pistol. You can use FedEx or UPS to send firearms back to the factory or a repair facility. You will only need an FFL to receive a new frame/serial number. Kahr can send your pistol to your home by FedEx. They always picked mine up, but once I took one to the FedEx center to ship.

Wynn:)

mickeyfinn
05-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm confused. There seems to be some contradictory info here.

To recap:
Kahr already has the slide

Now they want the remainder of the pistol, IE. the frame and barrel.

My question is, when they are done with it, will they send the complete pistol back to me OR do I have to go through an FFL holder again?

Remember now, I will be getting the same original serial numbered frame back with a new slide. There is no transfer of a firearm taking place.

Thanks

Bawanna
05-11-2014, 12:00 AM
They can send you the complete gun without an FFL. Can come right to your door. Long as the serial number stays the same, your good to go.

RRP
05-11-2014, 06:59 AM
That pistol has already been registered to you, so Kahr can mail it back directly to you, since it involves no transfer of ownership.

If they change the frame, then it is no longer the same gun, and it would have to be transferred through an FFL.

hardluk1
05-11-2014, 07:14 AM
They will send your pistol back to you when done. NO FFL Needed. No money needs to be spent on your end.

muggsy
05-11-2014, 08:02 AM
You can ship the gun to them through Fedex on their dime with the prepaid mailing label that they send to you. They can return the gun directly to you through Fedex provided that they return it to you with the original frame and serial number. If they replace the frame it will be considered a new gun and it will have to go back to you through an FFL and it will require a background check. You will also receive a letter stating that they have you old gun and that they have sent you a new gun. You are required to keep that paperwork. If they send the gun directly to you through Fedex someone must sign for the gun when it is delivered. Been there, done that and have a new P380 to prove it.

mickeyfinn
05-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys. All is clear now.

CJB
05-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Actually....

(and I have quoted federal statute here in a past thread)

They can legally send you a replacement firearm, with a different serial number, directly to you. Its legal, and specifically stated in the federal law, upon instances where the firearm is not repairable and must be replaced. Kahr, and a lot of other manufacturers choose not to do so.

I myself have received replacement firearms from Ruger and from H&K in the past - and the GCA'68 has not changed since those days (1980's and 1990's).

My guess, is that its just easier, perhaps less paperwork for the manufacturer, to go the FFL route. They hold no extra liability - afterall, you sent them a defective pistol to begin with. Their actions are simply one of getting from point A to point B the quickest and easiest.

I'm not sure of what needs to be done it issue a replacement firearm, and send it directly back to a consumer - paperwork, ATF notification perhaps. But I know it can be done legally.

For those who don't believe me - and there are many folks here - dont believe me. Go and read the fookin' law yourselves. Or google it, from the law, as its a pretty easy find, and an easy read - very clear - not hard legalese in that part of things.