PDA

View Full Version : How do you all feel about Texas?

Barth
05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
I've got an on site interview in Texas.
Seems like a nice place to live.
How do you all feel about Texas?

xsailer
05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Really reluctant to give an opinion without knowing where you've been living. It is different.

I failed to ask how bad do you need a job?

laserfish
05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
I have lived in the Ft Worth area all of my life and love it. Don't know if I would want to live anywhere else. Where is your interview? Dallas and Fort Worth are as different as night and day as are Houston, Austin, El Paso, etc. Each has a distinct personality and it makes it a great place.

yqtszhj
05-12-2014, 06:54 PM
I have good memories of the DFW area from the early 80's. Hot women too.

If I went out there again I'd want some land near a small town. Crime it too bad in DFW now and I don't really like cities any more. I just want to be left alone.

Alfonse
05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with Texas, and there is a whole bunch right about it.

muggsy
05-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I spent two week in Dallas two years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. The people there were very hospitable. It's a bit on the warm side, but I'm sure that you'll get used to it. Great Bar-B-Que.

ced_56
05-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm a transplant from SoCal to Texas. Just know it is likely very different from where you are currently. All depends on you, how open you are, etc. We were the crazy conservatives and here we are on the liberal side. It is a large state with very varied weather and people so partly depends on where you are going.

Bawanna
05-12-2014, 07:17 PM
My recommendation........get a hat! Try to fit in, and above all else try not to piss anybody off.

Barth
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Huntsville department of justice.

AJBert
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
REALLY depends on what part of TX. Most of the state is pretty good to live in but I would never live in the Panhandle or West Texas. Spent five years in the Panhandle and there really is much going on up there and the wind is ALWAYS blowing. West Texas is desert and oil and mesquite. No greenery whatsoever.

What part of the state would you be in? There are a lot of great reasons to live there aside from them being gun friendly. Housing is very reasonable plus no state income tax. The only real downside is the huge egos of some native Texans.

NewShooter36
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Used to work there myself Barth. Huntsville is a nice city. Close enough to Houston if you NEED to go yet far enough away to be tolerable.

NewShooter36
05-12-2014, 07:36 PM
And it's "how do y'all feel about Texas" not "you all" :-)

Planedude
05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Y'all be welcome here Barth. Huntsville is a city of about 40 thousand, with the feel of a College town. Partied some there in my youth and those were good times. The prison system and Sam Houston U are the cities largest employers. Nice place, kind of a Piney woods area, so if your in Florida now, Huntsville would feel familiar.

Last time I was there was for the Lawnmower racing... them was some friendly folks and some real cold beer.

Good luck with the job search Barth.

Alfonse
05-12-2014, 09:07 PM
We went to the Huntsville Prison Rodeo a few times back in the 1960s. I wonder if they still do that? I remember it being a big deal at the time.

I guess that is old history too. Here is a bit about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/razing-of-prison-rodeo-arena-in-huntsville-closes-the-door-on-history.html

ltxi
05-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Huntsville.....good country. Go for it.

DavidS
05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
And it's "how do y'all feel about Texas" not "you all" :-)

Since he was asking everyone, I think the proper vocabulary is "all y'all".

Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive. :confused:

wyntrout
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
UR not from the Souf'. Y'all is the plural of you... a contraction of you and all. This is used when you mean more than one of you... all of you. Other languages give you plurals of you, but "you" for more than one just doesn't seem to cover enough... not plural!

Wynn:)

ced_56
05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Since he was asking everyone, I think the proper vocabulary is "all y'all".

Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive. :confused:

You sir are correct....so I have learned during my time here in TX. I don't see myself going back to socal after being here now

wyntrout
05-12-2014, 10:17 PM
I've spent about 20 years in Texas. My wife was born there, as was my daughter. Y'all has always been the plural form of you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%27all

If'n we ever get the money to move, we plan on heading back to west Texas to get "off the grid."

ced_56
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Don't forget where is says....All y’all[edit]
All y’all, all of y’all, and alls y’all are used by some speakers to indicate a larger group than is necessarily implied by y'all.[5]

And they do use that here in SouthEast Texas

yqtszhj
05-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Huntsville department of justice.

It's time to move. Go for it. Given your forum personality you'll fit right in.

Have fun and tell us how you like it.

I planned on moving to Marshall, TX a few years ago and working in Shreveport, LA but the job didn't pan out.

mr surveyor
05-13-2014, 07:59 AM
we welcome legal immigration to Texas, just leave your foreign politics, customs and languages behind. :D

MW surveyor
05-13-2014, 08:25 AM
East Texas, land of the piney woods and mr surveyor.

Haven't been up to Huntsville too many times but what I can remember is that it was pretty nice.

Good luck with the job search.

johnh
05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I love Texas! Great state, great people, great food. Plenty to do and you cannot get much friendlier gun laws. I keep hoping they will secede and take the rest of us red state, Southern gun owners with them. We can all be part of "greater Texas". :)

ole hombre
05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
I've had two vacation times there, in Texas, and they were great times. What struck me most though was the size of the place, and the variety of people!
You can drive all day from the north to the south, or from east Texas to the west, the "staked plains" area. Texas is more like a country than a state.
If I left my home Texas would be high on my list!

ced_56
05-13-2014, 09:01 PM
I've had two vacation times there, in Texas, and they were great times. What struck me most though was the size of the place, and the variety of people!
You can drive all day from the north to the south, or from east Texas to the west, the "staked plains" area. Texas is more like a country than a state.
If I left my home Texas would be high on my list!

Texas is huge that's for sure. My socal friends were shocked to find that they are 3 states away but still closer to El Paso than I am even though I am in the same state

O'Dell
05-13-2014, 09:19 PM
From what I've heard it a good "conservative" state. No state income tax and they've created more jobs lately than any other state, probably more than any three or four combined.

340pd
05-14-2014, 07:42 AM
My son moved to Allen last fourth of July, how appropriate. He is CFO of a large coroporation and the tax saving over MN alone are enough to cause one to uproot and move. He loves it and our visits there were met with friendly people and an unbelievable amount of new construction everywhere you look.
The classrooms in his city have under twenty students per class and the kids recite pledge of allegiance every morning. Texas history is strongly pushed in schools.

I am locked in MN for other reasons but.............

If you get slightly north of Dallas, check out the Frisco Gun Club. 100 yd INDOOR range.

http://www.friscogunclub.com/

Barth
05-14-2014, 03:41 PM
On site interview with the Texas Department of Justice Thursday next week.
Wish me luck everybody.

I'm thinking being a Texan might be a good thing...
http://www.tci.tdcj.state.tx.us/products/graphics/signs/images/signfoammo4.png

getsome
05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Best of luck to you Barth!!!!.......

wyntrout
05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Good luck, Barth. They ought to appreciate your training and skills!

Armybrat
05-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Good luck, Barth!

And remember, it's "sumbitch", not "sonbitch" like that yankee John Travolta kept spouting in Urban Cowboy. :)

Helped my nephew take several of his Longhorns to the auction barn in San Saba Wednesday...

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/f3d25ca66c32ac953001af27fcf020744817fb5_r.jpg

Alfonse
05-16-2014, 09:22 PM
I think you'll love it. The thought of going back keeps getting more and more attractive to me. Have fun at the interview!