PDA

View Full Version : First range trip with the CM9

vt1032
05-13-2014, 03:01 PM
I just got my first kahr, a CM9 yesterday and got out to shoot it this morning. I got a great deal on it on grabagun.com, ended up paying $319 +$35 to the FFL. I was a little worried by all the interwebs horror stories but so far so good. I put 150 rounds of 115gr FMJ, 147 gr FMJ and 147gr Federal HST through it and had 2 slight ftrb malfunctions both resolved by hitting the back of the slide with the 115gr. I call those a mulligan since it was during the break in period. I could have been gripping the slide too.

The trigger was very smooth, but super long compared to my glock, and there is no reset other then letting the trigger all the way out. It's not necessarily a bad trigger, just different. Recoil was stiff but manageable. Definitely not a fun gun to shoot, but I can run it pretty fast so it'll work for defensive shooting. Overall pretty happy with it.

My only real complaint is that it's bigger then I thought it would be. I never actually held one, which was dumb, but I bought it for pocket carry and it's a little big for that except in like cargo shorts or loose khakis. It's a total no go in jeans. Luckily, the desantis nemesis I got for it actually works great as an IWB holster as well as a pocket holster. It's really grippy, like a remora and didn't budge, even when I tested it through jumping jacks and burpees, not even slightly. All in all, I think I just found my new carry gun.

smokersteve
05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
I pocket carry my cm9 a lot. It can be done in jeans, but they need to be loose fitting.

DKD
05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Actually you can carry a CM9 or PM9 in the front pocket of jeans provided they aren't skin tight. I have often carried a PM9 in a front jeans pocket. The slight bulge looks more like a wallet or cell phone. Only self conscious CCW folks feel this way, most people are oblivious to what's going down around them. Sometimes one could walk around with a full size 1911 in their britches and most wouldn't be the wiser....just sayin.

I was once giving a pistol class for a group of would be concealed carry students and I was packing four pistols and none of them was the wiser. After I was into the class and talking about awareness I started to reveal each one in turn to their utter amazement.

codegeek
05-13-2014, 03:51 PM
What they said. I pocket carry most often in khakis, but jeans work as well.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

getsome
05-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I carry my PM40 in my Wrangler loose fit jeans front pocket all the time...I tried all kinds of fancy holsters and ended up with a cheap Uncle Mikes on which I stuck some skateboard tape on the side next to the leg and it never moves when drawing....I like pocket carry because while walking to the truck in a mall parking lot or anytime something doesn't look right I have my hand in my pocket on the gun and nobody is the wiser and if SHTF it can be out in less than a second....

mser
05-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Another PM9 blue jean front pocket carrier here with a dual magazine pouch, thanks to Kahrtalk's very own Beardog, in my opposite side rear pocket. Pocket carry is my preferred mode with a Galco Ankle Glove and / or IWB as secondary.

DavidR
05-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Pocket carry in relaxed fit Wranglers works for me. I use a pocket holster with a shield so it looks like a square wallet or phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berettabone
05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
I've been front pocket carrying an MK for a few years. Jeans............sometimes it prints a bit, sometimes it doesn't. No one has ever said anything about it to me. Most people are rushing around, and aren't even aware of their surroundings, much less noticing if someone is printing, or not. If some one has noticed, they haven't said a thing. I don't think about it much, because IT IS concealed.

vt1032
05-13-2014, 05:39 PM
It's not that I can't carry in jeans so much as I can't draw effectively from them. I'm new to pocket carry though. I've CCW'd a Glock 19 or 23 IWB for several years now but recently got a job where ccw is a no go so I wanted something more covert.

I might just need to play around with it more, but in jeans it was too slow and fumbly for me to be comfortable with. I'm not worried about printing, I've found the average sheep have no idea what they are looking at nor do they care, but I want to be able to get to it in a hurry if I need it.

I have a very stocky build with large legs so my pants fit a little tighter through the thighs then some too. I think I'll use a mix of pocket and iwb clothing dependant but regardless, the kahr is here to stay. I was floored by the accuracy of it compared to larger guns I'd shot. I was forced to shoot at 25m due to the rules of my range and was able to keep all 150 rounds in the A or c zone on an ipsc target. Not my best shooting, but with a 3in barreled DAO pistol, I'll sure as hell take it...

C0untZer0
05-15-2014, 11:33 PM
My only real complaint is that it's bigger then I thought it would be.

I noticed that the CM9 looked a lot bigger in my pocket than the R9 – bigger than the pistol measurements would seem to account for. So I got out a ruler and I discovered that the OAL measurements for the CM9 are larger than what is published on Kahr's website.

Kahr gives the overall length of the CM9 as 5.42” If you measure just the slide from the rear to the muzzle end, the slide is 5.4375” So it is closer to 4.4” than it is to 4.2”. But that isn't really the OAL of the CM9. Putting the gun in a box, and putting the top of the slide against one wall of the box and sliding the gun until the rearmost part of the pistol touches another wall of the box, and measuring from there, the Kahr is actually 5.625” long. This is similar to how guns are measured with the IDPA box test if people are familiar with that.

vt1032
05-16-2014, 01:15 PM
That, and I was an idiot and did the one thing I always said I'd never do. Buy a gun having literally never seen or touched it in person. I've always liked to feel up a gun before I jump on it, but I couldn't find one locally and found a smokin deal so I went for it. I actually do really like it, it's a keeper, but it's bigger then I thought based on pictures.

happypuppy
05-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Physically I don't see how it could be made much smaller our lighter. Any more and it would be horrid to shoot. I have an LCR that's weighs the same as the Kahr. It's 357 and shooting it with full power loads is awful

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

C0untZer0
05-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Physically I don't see how it could be made much smaller our lighter.

The Rohrbaugh R9 is smaller and weighs a little less. It is a handful to shoot but it is easier to carry and retrieve from a pocket.

muggsy
05-16-2014, 05:45 PM
I carry my CM9 AIWB and a P380 in my RF pocket just in case. The P380 disappears in your pocket. You can go CW380 and save some bucks.

vt1032
05-17-2014, 09:19 AM
I was trying to avoid the .380 route, hence why I went with this. The good news is, the more I've pocket carried it, the more comfortable with it I've gotten. It works in the khakis and cargo pants I wear to work and that's what I bought it for. Basically the only this it doesn't work for is tight jeans and I think I'll get an iwb holster for that.

Next question, for those of you who sit while wearing this in the right hand pocket, where do you put your wallet? I tried in the back pocket but thats not exactly comfortable after a while. left side it taken by keys, phone and spare mag.

leftysixty
05-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Gun in the strong side front pocket and nothing else. Wallet in off side front pocket, as well as change, keys(?), ect.:D

Leg pockets can carry spare mags, flashlights, ect.:)

It'll take some time to work out what you'll be comfortable with. :amflag:

smokersteve
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Next question, for those of you who sit while wearing this in the right hand pocket, where do you put your wallet? I tried in the back pocket but thats not exactly comfortable after a while. left side it taken by keys, phone and spare mag.
CM9 - front right top pocket. Phone - front left top pocket. Wallet - front right lower pocket(cargo pants/shorts) Keys - front left lower pocket