PDA

View Full Version : Car Talk(Zo6)

knkali
05-14-2014, 10:16 PM
The new 2015 Zo6 vette is insane. I like the C7 but it is a little hey look at me. But when you have 625 hp, the car can say that. It is THE U.S supercar...period.

Take a look at the fit and finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2F1slIyWw

ced_56
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Now if only I could afford one

Longitude Zero
05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
I'll let you know how they drive. A friend is guaranteed the very first one in OK.

kerby9mm
05-15-2014, 02:23 AM
The foreign car makers charge twice as much for something that can't even match your cars performance. Same goes for the ctsv. I would get one but my insurance would be too high. Lol.

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm helping out my Corvette dealer Saturday at a combination car and air show. I will drive a C7 to the show which will be my first drive in one. It's obviously not a Z06, but I'm expecting a substantially better car than my 2010 C6. Since I'm a "used car" buyer, there won't be a C7 in my garage for a couple of years.

BTW Kerby, when I bought my first modern Corvette over three years ago, I discovered something odd about the insurance. I've had four during that time and the same thing applied to all of them. The insurance on the Corvettes with exactly the same coverage was 1/2 what I was paying on a Porsche Boxter and about 60% of what I currently pay on my Prius!!! Go figure.

kerby9mm
05-15-2014, 05:25 AM
The insurance could be based on replacement value. I was joking about cost of the insurance. I can't afford the car or probably the gas either.

JohnR
05-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Why does the rear side window look like a Datsun 240Z?

ptoemmes
05-15-2014, 07:42 AM
And the 2015 Z06 can be had as a convertible and with an A8 automatic.

I think the front wheel well extensions (whatever you call them) are slightly odd looking.

But, still…wow.

knkali
05-15-2014, 08:14 AM
The only thing that GM didn't get right on the Zo6 is the badging. Putting badges on it declaring the HP numbers is a bit tacky. Lambos and F cars don't do that. Zo6 should say it all.

I can overlook that though. Haha.
I am guessing this car is gonna be priced north of $115K

rahmann62
05-15-2014, 09:06 AM
I have driven one of the new C7 Corvettes. My dad has a C6 and has a great relationship with the dealer. The dealer has a couple C6 corvettes they turned into race cars with roll cage, race seats, the whole works... They had a track day at the local road coarse and brought their race cars and a new C7. They invited us to come out for a ride in the race cars. They were unloading the race cars and getting them prepped for the track and tossed us the keys (fob) to the C7 and told us to take it for a spin... IMPRESSIVE is the only way to describe it. On the track the stock C7 was running lap times within 5 seconds of their full fledged C6 race cars!

On a side note, riding in the C6 race car was awesome! 130mph is fast when going in a straight line, 130mph around a corner will make your ******** pucker!!! The expression, "The most fun you can have with your pants on", defiantly fit. Don't tell my wife but it may have been more fun than...

muggsy
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
It's a shame it made by Obama Motors. I wonder when the first recall will be issued.

ptoemmes
05-15-2014, 11:38 AM
GM just announced a recall on all C6 Corvettes for low-beam failure. About 112,000 of them. Obviously not the C7.

I've owned a few Vettes in the past including a 2007 Z06. Vette-less for a while now. Keep up on the corvette forum though.

On the one hand a first year model of any vehicle - and the C7 is almost from a blank sheet of paper - is going to be problematic.

Seems to be a bit of electronics issues - many of which are designed to keep the less capable out of the trees that can require software tweaks if not outright component replacement. Been some of that.

Fair amount of QC complaints on paint quality, panel fitment, etc. but, again, forums can overemphasize negatives. Kind of like some Kahr pistols eh :D

Pete

knkali
05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
It's a shame it made by Obama Motors. I wonder when the first recall will be issued.

Obviously a ford man

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 03:24 PM

You can forget the 'Obama Motors' garbage. GM bought back the rest of the stock several months ago.

Bawanna
05-15-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm forced to drive an F word van but I'm devout Chevy through and through.

I did sit in an old corvette once. It was nice.

Dealers don't generally allow me near them in the show room. I guess they profile or something and know that I couldn't afford the license plate frame or something.

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
I have driven one of the new C7 Corvettes. My dad has a C6 and has a great relationship with the dealer. The dealer has a couple C6 corvettes they turned into race cars with roll cage, race seats, the whole works... They had a track day at the local road coarse and brought their race cars and a new C7. They invited us to come out for a ride in the race cars. They were unloading the race cars and getting them prepped for the track and tossed us the keys (fob) to the C7 and told us to take it for a spin... IMPRESSIVE is the only way to describe it. On the track the stock C7 was running lap times within 5 seconds of their full fledged C6 race cars!

On a side note, riding in the C6 race car was awesome! 130mph is fast when going in a straight line, 130mph around a corner will make your ******** pucker!!! The expression, "The most fun you can have with your pants on", defiantly fit. Don't tell my wife but it may have been more fun than...

My 2010 C6 is not exactly stock. It has the competition suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, and rear axle ratio from Chevrolet. In addition there's a CF front splitter, rear spoiler, headers and cam so it's making about 475 HP. Not nearly as much as the 2015 625 to 650 Z06 but it'll do.

I've had it to both Atlanta Motorsports Park and Road Atlanta. AMP is a tight track with a 1/2 mile straight so I only got it up to about 125. However on the longer RA back straight, I hit 155 before having to brake for 10a. I think I could have done better with more time, because the car should top out at over 190.

I'm looking forward to the C7 Saturday. The new interior itself is almost worth the price of admission.

getsome
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
My 71 C-10 aint exactly stock either pal, it's got competition vent windows that won't shut all the way and act like spoilers at high speed, also got competition light weight brake and gas pedals (well actually the rubber pad is worn off), don't forget the custom window roll up handles made by vise grip, high performance air filter lid thats turned over and up to 210 horse power depending on how many cylinders are working that particular day and my C-10 can haul a chit load of chit and in the summer time I can use a blue tarp and make a swimming hole right there in the front yard.....Lets see your C7 do that dude....:p

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 04:40 PM
My 71 C-10 aint exactly stock either pal, it's got competition vent windows that won't shut all the way and act like spoilers at high speed, also got competition light weight brake and gas pedals (well actually the rubber pad is worn off), don't forget the custom window roll up handles made by vise grip, high performance air filter lid thats turned over and up to 210 horse power depending on how many cylinders are working that particular day and my C-10 can haul a chit load of chit and in the summer time I can use a blue tarp and make a swimming hole right there in the front yard.....Lets see your C7 do that dude....:p

I think you might have some serious aerodynamic and weight issues, wait, I forgot about the lightened pedals, but if you promise to keep the tailgate up, I'd still run you for 'pinks'.

DubDubU
05-15-2014, 06:00 PM
getsome, that c-10 wouldn't happen to be brick red would it?

knkali
05-15-2014, 07:09 PM
My daily driver C6 had long tube headers, gears, performance manifold, centrifugal supercharger and tune.. Was it fast? Yeah sort of. Was it fun to drive. Nope. Took all that sheet off and went back to stock. Love the car again. The Zo6 is exactly what I tried to build but engineered much better and has a warranty but I don't want to pay the admission price.

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 09:08 PM
My daily driver C6 had long tube headers, gears, performance manifold, centrifugal supercharger and tune.. Was it fast? Yeah sort of. Was it fun to drive. Nope. Took all that sheet off and went back to stock. Love the car again. The Zo6 is exactly what I tried to build but engineered much better and has a warranty but I don't want to pay the admission price.

The C6 ZR1 had 638 HP and cost about $115,000 with options. The C7 Z06 has the same power, better handling, maybe a bit lighter, has a much improved interior, better electronics, and to me is better looking. It will cost $75,000 to $90,000 depending on options. That's a lot of bang for the buck and will be hard to beat anywhere. I'm looking forward to see what it'll do at the "Ring".

knkali
05-15-2014, 10:06 PM
O'Dell

I hear ya and respect your vette love but I really think you are hittin the pipe again if you think that the new Z will be 75-90K. I hope you are right because GM will sell the sheet out of em but that performance will price over 115K(my guess) which is still much lower than hp G cars and of course I cars. I really thought the C6 Z Carbon was the bomb but this Z is off the planet(and in convertible too) IMHO. If I could get a babied C6ZR1 and a very good price, that would not hurt my feeling even though the new Z kills it with interior changes and functional styling. Forget perf dif. I cannot drive em hard enough to tell the diff.

O'Dell
05-15-2014, 11:08 PM
O'Dell

I hear ya and respect your vette love but I really think you are hittin the pipe again if you think that the new Z will be 75-90K. I hope you are right because GM will sell the sheet out of em but that performance will price over 115K(my guess) which is still much lower than hp G cars and of course I cars. I really thought the C6 Z Carbon was the bomb but this Z is off the planet(and in convertible too) IMHO. If I could get a babied C6ZR1 and a very good price, that would not hurt my feeling even though the new Z kills it with interior changes and functional styling. Forget perf dif. I cannot drive em hard enough to tell the diff.

"Car and Driver" said that a 2015 Z06 with every available option will be well under $100,000. I think the base price will be in the $75,000 to $78,000 range, at least that's what I've read.

I went from 64 convertible [traded on a 911 in 1967] to 2011 without a Corvette. Oh, I had a couple of 911's and a Boxster, Loti, Z cars, one Jaguar, and a few others, but no Corvette. I wouldn't call it love but they do offer a lot of performance for the dollar.

knkali
05-15-2014, 11:51 PM
I see this selling at what the latest ZR1 was selling for at the least.

O'Dell
05-16-2014, 01:47 AM
I see this selling at what the latest ZR1 was selling for at the least.

Not even close. Chevy hasn't announced a price but said it will be close to the outgoing model. The outgoing model base is in the low seventies. They said the same thing about the C7 vs the C6 and the C7 was less than a thousand more. Of course the Z06 convertible will be about $6000 more as in the standard C7 and there are level 2 and level 3 option packages. There will also be exotic options like Ceramic brakes and others I'm sure.

ced_56
05-16-2014, 08:34 AM
I would love to have one but even if I could afford one at the moment I would hold off until about 3 years into the current design when all the bugs are worked out. I had my truck for about 6 months before the lift, intake, exhaust, and custom engine tune were done. And as any car nut knows as soon as you tune it you basically void your warranty....unless you get lucky and the dealer doesn't check the PCM. I can't leave anything with a motor in stock form. Tuned out traction control and Torque Management so that I can spin the tires :)

getsome
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Being a gear head is as bad as having a gun addiction....I did the same thing to my Silverado and was amazed how much horsepower a Westers custom PCM did for the performance of the truck BUT that was when premium gas was less than 2 bucks a gallon and yesterday I paid $4.39 for premium which hurts....I had the torque management removed along with the top end speed limiter....Found out the weak link in the truck was the G80 locking rear end which was the reason the GM engineers put torque management into the computer program in the first place....I had to completely replace a rear end due to turning it into a grenade and had to replace the transmission after tearing up a sun shell which I later found out is a known weak link in a GM pickup powertrain...

I love the truck and still drive it everyday albeit much slower and grand pa like...There's a reason automotive engineers make so much money, they know what they are doing and when you go against their knowledge trying to make it "Better or Faster" it's usually a big costly mistake....

ced_56
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
yeah having a need for speed is definitely a pay to play game. Thankfully at almost 100K on mine and haven't destroyed anything yet.

knkali
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Being a gear head is as bad as having a gun addiction....I did the same thing to my Silverado and was amazed how much horsepower a Westers custom PCM did for the performance of the truck BUT that was when premium gas was less than 2 bucks a gallon and yesterday I paid $4.39 for premium which hurts....I had the torque management removed along with the top end speed limiter....Found out the weak link in the truck was the G80 locking rear end which was the reason the GM engineers put torque management into the computer program in the first place....I had to completely replace a rear end due to turning it into a grenade and had to replace the transmission after tearing up a sun shell which I later found out is a known weak link in a GM pickup powertrain...

I love the truck and still drive it everyday albeit much slower and grand pa like...There's a reason automotive engineers make so much money, they know what they are doing and when you go against their knowledge trying to make it "Better or Faster" it's usually a big costly mistake....

FukknA exactly. Dude we must be brothers because I said FukknA exactly on another of your posts on another thread.

Bawanna
05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
All this profanity, I want to swab my ears out with Hoppes and a bottle brush and eat a bar of Ivory soap.

knkali
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
All this profanity, I want to swab my ears out with Hoppes and a bottle brush and eat a bar of Ivory soap.
I'll calm it down.

Bawanna
05-16-2014, 11:58 AM
It's just that I'm so sensitive to this strong language ya know.

Or it could be all the soap I've had to eat over the years. Ivory is by far the worst.

SDGlock23
05-19-2014, 12:40 PM
The Corvette Z06 would be a dream car for me, but I'd settle for a Camaro ZL1 :)