PDA

View Full Version : failure to feed on new P380

rj1
05-15-2014, 07:37 AM
I purchased a new P380 on May 8 2014 and have fired 525 rounds and have followed all the posts on break in/cleaning and lube and still the gun does not feed even 1 magazine without a failure. So on May 14 I returned the gun to where I bought it and they are sending it back to Kahr.
I know there have been many comments about problems with the P380 that go back a few years. I thought that a new gun today would not still have these problems. My hope is that when it comes back it will be reliable enough to carry this concealed and be confident that it will fire consistently if ever needed for self defense.
I suppose the important question is that when it comes back will it be OK?

CJB
05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
So, did you just stop bye to complain, get sympathy, or get help?

rj1
05-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Just an answer to the question. "Will it come back OK?

DavidR
05-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Anecdotally Kahr seems to have a decent record of repairing guns but there have been some posts on this forum about guns coming back from repair and still not working. You'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rj1
05-15-2014, 09:05 AM
I am hopeful it will be fixed. I really like the feel and operation of the P380
It is the perfect pocket gun

getsome
05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Maybe this guy can help....:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wzA2A2T1Q

getsome
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Seriously, welcome to kahrtalk there rj1.....Sorry your P380 had problems but you did the right thing sending it back for repairs....It may take a few weeks to get her back but they seem to be able to dial them in pretty good so when you do get it back try a box of +p carry ammo of your choice and it should digest them just fine....Good luck to you and welcome to the club....This is a good group of folks and we have a good time and like to kid around as well as talk seriously about guns and the shooting sports...Let us know how she shoots when she gets back home....

JERRY
05-15-2014, 10:02 AM

well the first time it left the factory they didn't know it was a problem gun.

the second time it leaves the factory it should be 100% since you've identified problems for them.

good luck.

jocko
05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I purchased a new P380 on May 8 2014 and have fired 525 rounds and have followed all the posts on break in/cleaning and lube and still the gun does not feed even 1 magazine without a failure. So on May 14 I returned the gun to where I bought it and they are sending it back to Kahr.
I know there have been many comments about problems with the P380 that go back a few years. I thought that a new gun today would not still have these problems. My hope is that when it comes back it will be reliable enough to carry this concealed and be confident that it will fire consistently if ever needed for self defense.
I suppose the important question is that when it comes back will it be OK?

wish u would have brought the issues to the forum before sending it bac k. there are some dandy tips to look for that might have helped u alot. Kahr will get u right. No sense in saying to check this or that, now that the gun is gone back. Keep us posted. We are here to help --if asked.:Amflag2:

rj1
05-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks all for your support. I will let you know how I make out when it comes back
And thanks for the warm welcome

muggsy
05-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Mine developed the same problem. Kahr ended up replacing the entire frame. It now works flawlessly. Keep the faith.

SGT5711
05-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Kahr had to replace the frame on my P380 too and it has been flawless ever since. Curious, what does the serial # of yours begin with?

jocko
05-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Mine developed the same problem. Kahr ended up replacing the entire frame. It now works flawlessly. Keep the faith.

they replaced it with a kel tek and u couldn't tell the difference:israel:

muggsy
05-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Kahr had to replace the frame on my P380 too and it has been flawless ever since. Curious, what does the serial # of yours begin with?

The original was RB7XXX. The replacement was RD5XXX.

muggsy
05-15-2014, 10:19 PM
they replaced it with a kel tek and u couldn't tell the difference:israel:

If I wanted any crap out of you I'd squeeze yer head, Jocko. Just sayin'.

Big Max
05-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Also having failure to feed issues. Cannot shoot a box ammo ( 50 count ) without having a FTF. ( have over 1000 rounds through pistol )
Sent pistol into Kahr for repair. They replaced extractor & recoil spring, polished slide stop lever, cleaned & lightly oiled.
Received pistol back, put 150 rounds ( 3 boxes ) through it, still having at least 1 FTF per box of ammo.
Ready to give up on pistol, don't trust it. Very disappointed, especially with the price I paid.

marshal kane
05-18-2014, 07:28 AM
I fully support home gunsmithing when the gun owner is mechanically inclined and chooses to do so but your gun is still under warranty so IMO, you did the right thing by sending it back to Kahr to be repaired on their dime. To work on your gun while it's still under warranty may result in voiding the warranty. Others may feel free to disagree.

tv_racin_fan
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Try different ammo.. they have different shapes and your Kahr may not like that particular shape. Tighten your grip.. Kahr tends on the tight side and that can mean you grip needs to be a bit more firm than you are used to. Hit the local parts store and get some wet dry sand paper above 400 grit and use oil instead of water to polish the feed ramp a bit more.

jocko
05-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Also having failure to feed issues. Cannot shoot a box ammo ( 50 count ) without having a FTF. ( have over 1000 rounds through pistol )
Sent pistol into Kahr for repair. They replaced extractor & recoil spring, polished slide stop lever, cleaned & lightly oiled.
Received pistol back, put 150 rounds ( 3 boxes ) through it, still having at least 1 FTF per box of ammo.
Ready to give up on pistol, don't trust it. Very disappointed, especially with the price I paid.

about letting anutter shooter try ur kahr to see if he can duplicate the issues. One round out of 50- does bot sound like a mechanical thing. If there is a bad "whatever it should duplicate iutslelf time and time again.

Have u looked at the kahr tech section and reviewed the propper prepping thead. Thgere are some dandy tips there that you can check out to see if all is OK.. I would certainly suggest anutter shooter trying the gun out to eliminate the posbility of shooter error.

If u have lost faith, list it on the kahr forum for sale and I am sure someone will jump on this pronto.

Jollyrogers
05-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Little 380s can be picky when it comes to ammo... Now if you have a case where ammo ran perfect through it, and then it started failing to run, that is a different story... Welcome to the forum and I am sure Kahr will get it back to you running as it should.

Big Max
05-19-2014, 01:56 PM
That is what I thought that maybe I was limp wristing the pistol.

I have other small pocket pistols that I shoot without any issues.

Even though I really like the pistol, I just don't trust it. Maybe it is just one of the quirks where the pistol is just not for me.

Thank You for all the advice.

SlowBurn
05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
That is what I thought that maybe I was limp wristing the pistol.
I have other small pocket pistols that I shoot without any issues.
Even though I really like the pistol, I just don't trust it. Maybe it is just one of the quirks where the pistol is just not for me.
Thank You for all the advice.

I had a sudden problem with failure to feed about a year ago, which I never had before. I asked a friend - a very expert pistol shooter - to shoot my 380 and it ran fine. Here's his email to me about limp wristing. Maybe everybody already knows this but I hadn't seen it anywhere so its worth sharing. His advice worked:

"Shooting is like golf in that you can go along fine for awhile then suddenly do something slightly different and throw everything off. Limp wristing is common and easily overcome. Don't squeeze the grip too hard, just firm enough to maintain control. Tighten your wrist muscles without over-tightening your hand grip. Do not contract your arm muscles too much - allow your elbow to bend with the recoil. You can practice this at your desk by gripping three fingers on your left hand as though you were holding the gun. Contract your wrist muscles and you will feel in your left fingers if you are tightening your grip too much. It is possible to firmly contract your wrist muscles without even tightening your grip at all. Don't over-think this. The limp wristing will probably go away all by itself anyway."

muggsy
05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I hope that if you ever get into a gun fight that it doesn't take 50 rounds to resolve the issue. Any gun can fail at any time. You might even find an occasional bad round. Practice the tap rack drill and you should be ok. My .380 is a back up to my 9MM. I like redundancy. That's worth repeating. :)

rj1
06-10-2014, 07:14 PM
got the P380 back June 6. fired 180 rounds of different kinds of range and defensive ammo. Had just 1 FTF and that was with Walmart Winchester blunt nose range ammo. The rest of the box of 50 went flawlessly. I love this gun.

spud
06-10-2014, 07:50 PM
glad that it was sorted out for you. I sent my P380 in a day after yours and am patiently waiting for its return. Hope it gets back soon in working order. Great gun when they work as they should.