PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the CM9

remnar
05-17-2014, 08:30 PM
I bought my CM9 almost four months ago and today I finally got to shoot it. I put 190 almost flawless rounds through it and I was very satisfied with everything about the gun. The ONLY problem that I had was one double feed on the first round and I'm sure that was my fault. All of the ammo used today was 115 gr FMJ: Federal, Winchester, and MagTech. Time to try some defense ammo. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wasn't shooting for accuracy today, but when I did my part the gun was right on target. After reading some of the reviews of the CM9 I was a little worried, but not anymore. :)

muggsy
05-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Try 124 gr Speer Gold Dots.

GLOCKROCKER
05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Or 124 gr. Federal HST

CJB
05-17-2014, 08:55 PM
The CM9, as a model, has been relatively problem free. All Kahr's of late have been relatively problem free actually....

There's still the occasional whoopsie, barrel nose smacking the follower, but even the 7 round mag feed issue has seemingly abated.

Not sayin' life is golden... just sayin' that things have aligned well for Kahr.

C0untZer0
05-17-2014, 09:54 PM
I've had good luck using 124gr "NATO" ammo.

I used Winchester Ranger "T" 124gr NATO - with a stated muzzle velocity of 1175 fps, and Georgia Arms NATO - with a stated muzzle velocity of 1150 fps. Compared to Blazzer Brass standard pressure 124gr which has a stated velocity of 1090.

I've used only the (slightly) hotter 124gr rounds so far and no failures to feed or eject.

remnar
05-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the ammo tips everyone. Keep them coming. I'm going to see what I can find tomorrow but 9mm is still scarce in my area.

rkenaston
05-17-2014, 11:16 PM
147gr Federal HST performs great through a 3 inch barrel.

DavidR
05-18-2014, 03:55 AM
I've used Speer 124 grain Gold Dot HP (not +P) with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinehtr
05-18-2014, 04:04 AM
Gold dot 124 gr +P works great for me ,Also 115 gr. Critical Defense. Good luck.

Pointblank
05-18-2014, 05:13 AM
If Kahr's quality control has improved so much, why has the turnaround time for service gone up to six weeks?

Rubb
05-18-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

Slotback
05-18-2014, 07:56 AM
At this point, you might only need one mag of JHP to satisfy yourself about your pistol. Sounds to me like you are good to go.

unworthy
05-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I've had good results with Winchester 124gr PDX1

Alfonse
05-18-2014, 09:44 AM
If Kahr's quality control has improved so much, why has the turnaround time for service gone up to six weeks?

I don't know, but it could be that they are selling a bunch of them. The traffic on this site seems to me to be way above what it was a few years ago. Kahr seems to be going mainstream to me.

hardluk1
05-18-2014, 10:39 AM
How many people do they have to do only one thing. Fix problem handguns?? Kahr built some 90,000 pistols 2 years ago and with 15 years of handguns out there , how many could that be?? I know it seems there only one guy answering a phone in CS . If returns are only 1% that's 900 a year to be fixed and tested in 260 work days plus any work needed on handguns from years gone by. Guess thats why they can take 6 weeks to fix at times .

remnar
05-18-2014, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

Rubb, thanks for the links.

Everyone with a short barrel 9mm should watch that series of youtube videos.

-remnar

jocko
05-18-2014, 01:25 PM
How many people do they have to do only one thing. Fix problem handguns?? Kahr built some 90,000 pistols 2 years ago and with 15 years of handguns out there , how many could that be?? I know it seems there only one guy answering a phone in CS . If returns are only 1% that's 900 a year to be fixed and tested in 260 work days plus any work needed on handguns from years gone by. Guess thats why they can take 6 weeks to fix at times .

also hope it is less than 1% to. by industry standards that would be considered high. Just sayin

Rob K
05-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Maybe, just maybe, they have fewer tech issues, that they have fewer techs to deal with them. Don't know. Just food for thought.

Alfonse
05-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Also, on another thread a CW9 was back in three weeks. So, maybe a part was back ordered. Just maybe.

SWrunner
05-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I have about 500 rounds through my CM9, and I'm pretty disappointed. At least once in every magazine, there will be a round in the chamber and pulling the trigger does nothing. Meanwhile, my S&W m&p 40 cal is an absolute joy to shoot. Guess which one is my carry gun.

DavidR
05-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I have about 500 rounds through my CM9, and I'm pretty disappointed. At least once in every magazine, there will be a round in the chamber and pulling the trigger does nothing. Meanwhile, my S&W m&p 40 cal is an absolute joy to shoot. Guess which one is my carry gun.

That is disappointing. Provide a little more information and some of the guys here might be able to help you get her running right.

SWrunner
05-25-2014, 11:16 AM
That is disappointing. Provide a little more information and some of the guys here might be able to help you get her running right.

I would certainly welcome any feedback. I'm not sure what else to tell you. It's usually the last round and pulling the trigger yields only a click. Nothing that I do will make the gun fire that last round. Sometimes it's the third or fourth round, and a mini rack of the slide will fix whatever the problem is and the gun will fire.

Rubb
05-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Did you try cleaning and inspecting the striker and channel?

SWrunner
05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Did you try cleaning and inspecting the striker and channel?

I clean the gun, but I have not inspected the striker and channel. I'm not sure I know how to do that or what I would be looking for.

Rubb
05-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Slide disassembly is pretty simple really.
You could simply have a bunch of gunk built up in the striker channel which can be cleaned without disassembly via the cleanout hole.
It's the tiny hole near the breach face.You could also have a damaged striker which would be less likely IMO.

More here on disassembly.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=197&highlight=clean

DavidR
05-25-2014, 01:38 PM
I clean the gun, but I have not inspected the striker and channel. I'm not sure I know how to do that or what I would be looking for.

Try blasting some non-chlorinated brake cleaner into the clean-out hole.

Rubb
05-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Slide disassembly..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3VFRll2L4

Rubb
05-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Try blasting some non-chlorinated brake cleaner into the clean-out hole.

Be careful...safety glasses careful :)

SWrunner
05-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Rubb and Dave.

Kansas53
05-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Or 124 gr. Federal HST
Excellent round!!!

gmcjetpilot
06-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Try 124 gr Speer Gold Dots.Yep +1 in +P (high pressure rounds are not for shooting for practice)

Or 124 gr. Federal HSTYep +1 in +P (high pressure rounds are not for shooting a lot for practice)

These two rounds are the quintessential 9mm self defense rounds. I would
say they are equal, no big difference, but I give a slight advantage in
velocity for the Gold Dot... I have measured velocities, but both are as
good as it gets in 9mm. You can get it in normal non +P rounds. If your
9mm subcompact is a handful you may consider normal non +P.

I have tried Hornaday Critical Duty +P (that meets FBI protocols), the
other Hornaday Critical Defense +P (made apparently for concealed carry
short barrels). These videos on youtube seems to give the nod to
critical duty, even out of short barrels. The non +P is a soft shooter with
less recoil, which may be good for a small gun that is hard to keep hold of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWMo9GFrws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0
Both are well designed good looking rounds with an insert in the hollow
point to improve initial penetration through fabric or obstacle. I can't
recommend, as much as the Speer Gold Dot or Fed HST. I measured the
velocity out of the Kahr and it was slower, but then again it's a bigger
135gn bullet. I like smaller 115gn or 124gn faster projectiles for 9mm.

berettabone
06-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I carry the 147 gr. hst's...............................

rkenaston
06-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Or 124 gr. Federal HST

124 gr. Federal HST is what I carry. It's expensive but has performed amazingly well out of a 3" barrel from all the ballistic reports/videos I've seen. I did a lot of research attempting to find the perfect short barrel carry ammo. I narrowed it down to Federal HST 124gr or 147gr as my top two choices. :amflag:

Clinton90
06-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Im having the same problem with my cw380. after every single shot fired, the trigger will not reset. Tried pushing on the back of the slide to make sure it returned all the way to battery. Still no reset. this is happening after only 50 rounds fired..my girl has a ruger lcp that has been 100% no problems at all. I got the kahr because it seemed like a more "heavy duty" 380...

muggsy
06-23-2014, 05:46 AM

Could it be the gunsmiths are taking more time to ensure a quality repair. Could it be that Kahr has sold a lot more guns? Could it be that one or more of their gunsmiths is on vacation? How many guesses do I get, Pointblank? :)

Decado
06-23-2014, 01:25 PM
124 grain gold dots are what's in my CM9 , they feed fine!

jocko
06-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Normally kahr is not 6 weeks behind, so for them to say that it could possably be vendor related, as kahr relys on their vendors to get them the parts on time, every tme. They don't mae their mags, they don't make their spring,s they do machie their slides and the rifle the barrel but they do not make th barrel blanks. the pol;ymer frames are vendor outsourced and then finished in house. If one part is late fromt he vendor, then things will sit. Not good when it happens to you, I realize that, but again kahrs is very fast on service, Wehave seen many report son this forum of in one day and back within 7 days or less. this is more the norm than 6 weeks that is for sure. I sent my 3 kel teks back many many times and never was it faster than 4 weeks and most of the time 6+ weeks.

Patience is golden to. Just sayin.