PDA

View Full Version : pm9 iwb carry

joshh
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
gonna start carrying my pm9 & ive been trying to figure out what holster to go with. i'm thinking of the pocketholsters.com for a pocket carry but i'm not sure about an iwb, i like to caryy @ the 3 or 4 oclock position. keep looking at the crossbreed microclip. Any thoughts on these products?

joshh
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
also, i forgot to ask: i am planning on adding the chrimson trace laser at some point (hope the wife gets it for me for xmas) & will probably order my holsters to accomodate that. will this be a fitment issue without laser installed? from the look of the molded holsters i figure this should be ok but was hoping someone has had previous experience. I love these forums!

nightwingdg
06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I've heard great things about the Crossbreed mini tuck!

OldLincoln
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Joshh, The PM9 is on the large side for pocket carry but very good for IWB. I use a DeSantos Nemesis for pocket carry and a Tucker Silent Thunder (ST) for IWB. The ST is so comfortable I rarely pocket carry anymore, though Jocko only pocket carries his.

I can't say enough about the ST, the PM9 is perfect for the single belt clip and the adjustable cant allowed me to fit it to my bones. I carry from get-up to lay-down and it is very comfortable.

I borrowed the pics below from photoshoter in this thread: http://kahrtalk.com/holsters-gear/663-got-silent-thunder-my-mk9-pic-heavy.html#post5137 but wanted to try the insert image feature of the forum so the pics are here also. The last one is from the Tucker Gunleather site: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.htmlTucker Gunleather (http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html)

http://www.michaelpilla.com/forumphotos/tucker/091203_mk9_032.jpg

http://www.michaelpilla.com/forumphotos/tucker/091203_mk9_037.jpg

http://www.michaelpilla.com/forumphotos/tucker/091203_mk9_041.jpg

http://www.michaelpilla.com/forumphotos/tucker/091203_mk9_044.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/tucker2/InternalBoningofSilentThunder.jpg

Rob Longenecker
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Tucker Gunleather also makes the Silent Thunder for Kahr pistols with C.T. Laserguard.

Note: If the holster is made for pistol with Laserguard attached, you can't carry the pistol without the Laserguard attached in that holster.

That shouldn't be a problem because the Laserguard is compact, lightweight and easy to carry.

joshh
06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
i considered the mini tuck & have read positive reviews but that holster looks bigger than the micro clip. while it does look comfortable for a bigger gun i think its too big for the pm9.
that tucker holster looks nice too, i'll check em out

jlottmc
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I must say I think I need to find some extra bread for a Tucker... I think he might even have one for all of my toys too. Here we go again.

OldLincoln
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
i considered the mini tuck & have read positive reviews but that holster looks bigger than the micro clip. while it does look comfortable for a bigger gun i think its too big for the pm9.
that tucker holster looks nice too, i'll check em outI have to chuckle. I tried the mini-tuck before settling on the ST. I was in the mens room trying to twist my old bones around to get both clips where I wanted them. My pants were undone and I looked like I was wrestling with an alligator as I couldn't get it right. I decided the only way I could use that holster was to put it on the pants before putting them on. Since I wanted a grab and go holster it was ruled out.

joshh
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
actually the micro clip is a single clip holster too
http://kahrshop.com/images/dtl_KACBMCP.jpg

OldLincoln
06-11-2010, 12:55 AM
I hadn't seen the Micro Clip. Tucker has come out with a similar design stating that moving the clip outside the gun profile reduces the depth, although the inside the belt part of the clip only adds 1/8" to the total.

I am curious about the loaded PM9 maintaining position with the belt clip cantilevered that way, but it might do well.

Rob Longenecker
06-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I hadn't seen the Micro Clip. Tucker has come out with a similar design stating that moving the clip outside the gun profile reduces the depth, although the inside the belt part of the clip only adds 1/8" to the total.

I am curious about the loaded PM9 maintaining position with the belt clip cantilevered that way, but it might do well.

"I used my Silent Thunder Slim IWB when I recently took a 2- day Advanced Concealed Carry course at the Sig Academy. During that course I easily drew and re-holstered over a thousand times (standing, prone, rolling, seated, running, kneeling, etc.) My Silent Thunder was never out of place, never moved from my hip, it performed flawlessly. This would have been expected of a holster with 2 attachment points, I found it very impressive for a holster with one belt clip." Andy 06/09/10

OldLincoln
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Rob, looks like Andy answers my question quite well. Do I have it right that the difference in depth is only 1/8"? If so, what is the advantage of the slim?

Rob Longenecker
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks Rob, looks like Andy answers my question quite well. Do I have it right that the difference in depth is only 1/8"? If so, what is the advantage of the slim?

The thickness of the clip is about an 1/8th inch. Offsetting the clip reduces the width of the holster by more than 1/8". Either set up is adjustable for cant and height.

Note: In the pictures below, the Silent Thunder "Slim" IWB (top) has a Slimline belt clip and the Silent Thunder regular IWB (bottom) has a standard clip.
Both clip styles put the weight of the gun on your belt. Both are "tuckable" and either clip can be used on either holster style.

Both holsters are leather-lined and both have two adjustable tension screws.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rlcompanyusa_2110_4207867

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rlcompanyusa_2107_6505220

Michael W.
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I have on of these on order for my PM9.
I mainly pocket carry but I wanted a decent option for belt carry
as well.

This is a Woolfe Gunleather "Wolf Bite" model. Price is only $60.
Looks like a nice holster. I ordered with a 10 degree Cant.

I'll report when it arrives.

http://woolfegunleather.com/images/wolf_bite.jpg

That said, the Tucker Silent Thunder "Slim" model looks very interesting
to me. I may order one of those for my PM45.
I'm currently carrying the PM45 in a Comp-Tac M-Tac.
It works well enough but it feels like there's "too much holster"
for this gun. I love the M-Tac for my Glocks though.

Michael-

Michael W.
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
The thickness of the clip is about an 1/8th inch. Offsetting the clip reduces the width of the holster by more than 1/8". Either set up is adjustable for cant and height.

Note: In the pictures below, the Silent Thunder "Slim" IWB (top) has a Slimline belt clip and the Silent Thunder regular IWB (bottom) has a standard clip.
Both clip styles put the weight of the gun on your belt. Both are "tuckable" and either clip can be used on either holster style.

Both holsters are leather-lined and both have two adjustable tension screws.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rlcompanyusa_2110_4207867

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rlcompanyusa_2107_6505220

I'm such a sucker for pretty pictures.....sigh.
I just ordered a Silent Thunder Slim for my PM45 with extra clip.

Rob, any chance you could....um.....expedite this order?:)

Thanks,

Michael-

Rob Longenecker
06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
OK, Michael. I won't run your order through the new Government Intrusion and Delay Office of Ridiculous Regulations and Infuriating Red Tape.

That would have bogged things down for a few weeks at least.

Bawanna
06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm such a sucker for pretty pictures.....sigh.
I just ordered a Silent Thunder Slim for my PM45 with extra clip.

Rob, any chance you could....um.....expedite this order?:)

Thanks,

Michael-

Do let us know how it works for you when it arrives. Since our nearly simultaneous PM45 purchases and mirror like acts ever since I almost feel like we're brothers with different mothers.

I also agree with your statement about too much holster for the little gun. Everybody really talks those crossbreads and such up as the cats backside but it sure looks like you got 90 % holster and 10 % gun. I gotta be wrong, everybody seems to love them.

Tuckers look really good, although I'm thinking I gotta go OWB, too much IWB already without stuffing a gun in there too. Maybe I can get on Losing it with Jillian and let her nag the waistline away?

Michael W.
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Do let us know how it works for you when it arrives. Since our nearly simultaneous PM45 purchases and mirror like acts ever since I almost feel like we're brothers with different mothers.

I also agree with your statement about too much holster for the little gun. Everybody really talks those crossbreads and such up as the cats backside but it sure looks like you got 90 % holster and 10 % gun. I gotta be wrong, everybody seems to love them.

Tuckers look really good, although I'm thinking I gotta go OWB, too much IWB already without stuffing a gun in there too. Maybe I can get on Losing it with Jillian and let her nag the waistline away?

Hey Bawanna,

If OWB's your bag, check this out....pretty darn slick if you ask me.

Silent Thunder STX - Fixed Cant Ultra Concealment Holster (http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithstx.html)

I have to admit that when I first saw these leather lined kydex holsters
I really didn't get it. But the more I see the execution of the Tucker's
the more intrigued I am. The pics just pushed me over the edge:)

Looking forward to trying it out.

Re: the Crossbreed/M-Tac style holsters there's no doubt they have their place.
I think that for larger heavier guns they really do a good job at spreading
the load and keeping the gun stable while providing the most comfort.
But these little Kahrs I suspect will do better with a more sparse design
with a single offset clip.

M-

Wasabi
06-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Does the Silent Thunder Slim work well with the velcro clip option? Also, can it be made for a PM9 with a CT laser?

Michael W.
06-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Does the Silent Thunder Slim work well with the velcro clip option? Also, can it be made for a PM9 with a CT laser?

Hey Was,

In post #5 of this thread....

"...Tucker Gunleather also makes the Silent Thunder for Kahr pistols with C.T. Laserguard.

Note: If the holster is made for pistol with Laserguard attached, you can't carry the pistol without the Laserguard attached in that holster.

That shouldn't be a problem because the Laserguard is compact, lightweight and easy to carry..."

M-

Wasabi
06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Mike, I missed that post.

Rob Longenecker
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Velcro clips work very well. Velcro has poor peel strength but excellent shear strength, which is what's needed to the keep the holster in place.

SlackJaw
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
A great big NO to the microclip, maybe the minituck. The PM9 justs wants to dip either way below the waistline. Try looking for that when out and about:) or it wants to rise completely out of the pants. Just say NO to the miniclip for anything above a .380.

Slackjaw

OldLincoln
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Wow, Slackjaw, that's quite a first post to KahrTalk. I don't know anything about the microclip, so please tell us about your experiences with it.

bps3040
06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
I love the Minituck. Very comfy. I have had mine 3 weeks. I have had a Supertuck for a few years with the same results.
The Silent thunder looks interesting. How does it feel against the skin? I like the thought of the gun sliding into leather.... just curious about the feel of the kydex. I do not wear a t-shirt underneath.

OldLincoln
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I love the Minituck. Very comfy. I have had mine 3 weeks. I have had a Supertuck for a few years with the same results.
The Silent thunder looks interesting. How does it feel against the skin? I like the thought of the gun sliding into leather.... just curious about the feel of the kydex. I do not wear a t-shirt underneath.I also was quite concerned and Rob patiently held my hand. I was pushing for a leather backing on the skin to holster part but Rob said wait. I can say the feel of kydex on my PM9 Silent Thunder against my skin is not noticeable. I was concerned about sweat, rubbing, and just uncomfortable but it simply didn't happen.

Actually, the only discomfort came from the leather patch on my Perry suspenders, not the holster. You really do not want leather against skin is sweaty conditions.

joshh
06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
every1 seems to agree "no" for microclip & i heard back from crossbreed and they dont recommend it for a pm9 with crimson trace (and i know i'll be putting one on it) so i'm not sure what i'm gonna do as i really want a single clip. i haven't seen the minituck in person and it looks big for carrying @ 3 or 4 o'clock under an un-tucked polo shirt which i wear to work everyday.

OldLincoln
06-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Josh, I don't have personal experience with the others, but I do the Silent Thunder for my PM9. It's perfect for me and many others. Rob said the offset version is a bit thinner, but once you wear either one, you probably won't know the difference.

Rob also said the Silent Thunder for Crimson Trace won't be a good fit for the PM9 without the CT - their holsters fit that well. So, do you advance your purchase of the CT and get the ST to fit, or do you get the ST now and sell it when getting the CT? It should sell easily and without loosing a lot of value.

joshh
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
i like the look of the silent thunder offset but its pricey & a long wait for a holster. we'll see. thinking about grabbing a nylon desantis or something similar for now.

Popeye
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
I have two for inside IWB. Both are are DeSantis. One is leather with a 15 deg. cant the other is a nylon with no cant and is really for a P3at with a laser but works well on the KT without the laser,and the Bersa Thunder .380. as well as the PM9. Depends what I'm wearing on on which one I use. I prefer the leather for the PM9, but sometimes it's just not the best choice.

OldLincoln
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
The Nemesis is functional, popular and in-expensive. I have one though rarely pocket carry anymore.

tomsem
06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Joshh. Here is another option for you to check out. Mine are on order from him so I don't have them yet but he gets many great reviews from others. I have a Southern Sidekick and a pocket holster with matching mag holder in shark on order for my PM9. Here is the link.

Holsters by RGrizzle (http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/)

joshh
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
i'm not 100% sold on the pm9 as a pocket carry either as i live in massachusetts and if i have to switch from back pocket to front to sit down i may tip my hat to a liberal that will surely dial 911 asap. i'd feel more confident sittin my fat ass on a solid metal small pistol than on my pm9. i work on my feet all day for the most part i probably only sit an hour total but concealment is a must as i work alone at a small family business and do deal with customers off & on all day too. i wear jeans & an untucked polo to work and figured a pocket carry would be least noticable.

Frankhenrylee
06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I have the Crossbreed Mini Tuck for my PM40. You cannot go wrong with one of these. The dual clips keep the gun exactly where you want it. If you haven't carried before, you'll start to notice with single clip holsters how much the gun needs to be adjusted, constantly tilting forward or backward. When I get in and out of the truck I know my gun is going to be. Also the clips on either side of the holster conceal better than a clip on the front. Go with the leather, I got horsehide cause I live in the south and sweat is an issue, but its a little on the stiff side and I don't think I could possibly sweat enough to soak down a leather one. It is pretty much a 2-5 o'clock holster only as far as position goes. I have a simple Uncle Mikes for when I need something small and quick. Also, the Crossbreed keeps that short grip on PM's very easy to get a full grip on. I trimmed mine a bit to make better. Mini Tuck-all the way.

joshh
06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
the mini tuck looks like it carries the gun kind of high on the waistband & i am nervous that if my shirt rides up it would get caught and defeat the purpose. do you carry it untucked? Can the "ride height" be lowered so the pistol sits even with waistband?

OldLincoln
06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
A lot of folks like the mini-tuck, say it's comfortable. I tried one and found I couldn't get it on without a hassle while I needed a grab-n-go holster, which the Silent Thunder is. Also, I can't take leather against my skin, it causes sweat and itches like crazy. It may work for you, in fact any one of several holsters may do the job.

As for the Silent Thunder moving around, mine doesn't. I do wear a gun belt that doesn't sag and is thick enough that the holster clip holds tight. I got the narrow clip which would be the one to move if any did, but the standard clip grabs the belt even tighter.

A lot of people carry full size metal 1911's in the Silent Thunder. I have been looking as I may want to carry mine and decided I'll get the Silent Thunder when I'm ready. Here's a review (http://www.m1911.org/ezine/tucker2.htm) that has some depth. Note the pic with the standard belt clip.

There is a picture thread here (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/28114-lets-see-your-pics-how-you-carry-concealed.html) with lots of pics showing how others carry concealed. You'll find just about every option available.

It's a tough decision, I know as I researched it to death because I knew I'd get only one shot at it. I received a lot of advice on the journey and that's why I'm offering links and such.

Frankhenrylee
06-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes, the crossbreed can be lowered, although it leaves rather ugly holes. I was looking at the Silent Thunder as well. I really liked the idea of having the kydex lined with leather. There is a lot of leather against your body but it seems to help with the gun sagging the waistline down. I may have to get me one of those nice gun belts but they are so dang expensive, usually as much as a holster. Its a win/win either way. Probably more carry locations for the Thunder being single clip. I decided I wanted dual clips cause I felt it was more sturdy and concealed better and as thin of width as possible. That was the Crossbreed. One holster has a hard time filling all needs, but the S.Thunder looks like it will carry anywhere. Just have the extra width of the clip being on the outside of the holster.

OldLincoln
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
If having 2 clips is a criteria you might take a look at Tucker's "Answer" holster. It has the leather lined Kydex holster and a soft material backing as not to irritate the skin. It really is the answer for a larger gun. That was my second choice for the PM9 but it is too much holster for the little gun. If I recall correctly, they don't even make it for the PM9.

As for belts, look at LA Police Gear (http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tapa.html). They have the 5.11 Tactical Leather Casual Belt 1.5" Plain on closeout for $11.99. I have several of them and like them very much. They are laminated with a stiffener inside and really support well. Since these are on closeout, I suggest you order very soon. I bought a lot of stuff from them and think they are OK..

If you're buying belts, might as well look at pants too. I bought 10 pairs of 5.11 pants on closeout from them and 6 came with the belt. Those were the 5.11 Tactical Covert Khaki Pants - CLOSEOUT for $14.99 (http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-covert-pants.html#). They are are on sale again but without the belt. Tip, you may need to alter them to remove a pleat running from leg to leg through the crotch. If they don't have your length just get longer and fix the length at the same time. The extra pockets are perfect and not very noticeable like standard cargo pants.

Michael W.
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey Joshh. Here is another option for you to check out. Mine are on order from him so I don't have them yet but he gets many great reviews from others. I have a Southern Sidekick and a pocket holster with matching mag holder in shark on order for my PM9. Here is the link.

Holsters by RGrizzle (http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/)

Rgrizzle's Pocket holsters are really great looking.
They're the only one that I've seen that addresses the one
HUGE thing missing with most leather pocket holsters, namely
having the radius to curve and lie flat against your leg.
With most leather holsters I've tried the forward edge sticks
out and prints too much in my pocket.

I currently carry both PM9 and P380 in a DeSantis Nemesis
which will conform into a curve after some wear but the
RGrizzile pocket holster may be in my future to try out.

Tomsem, please post some pics and a review of your holsters
when they arrive.

Thanks,

Michael-

Michael W.
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
the mini tuck looks like it carries the gun kind of high on the waistband & i am nervous that if my shirt rides up it would get caught and defeat the purpose. do you carry it untucked? Can the "ride height" be lowered so the pistol sits even with waistband?

Josh,

I concur with Mr. Lincoln that you ought to consider a GOOD BELT
as part of the holster performance. There was a poster above that
was complaining about his gun riding up and down with a Mini-tuck.
This is most likely due to the belt (or perhaps lack thereof).

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a belt.
But I can't stress enough that a QUALITY gun belt will make
or break how well a holster carries.

For casual dress I can highly recommend the Wilderness Tactical
woven belts. I use both a 1 1/2" Instructors belt as well as a 1 1/4"
"Frequent Flyer" model. Very reasonably priced and excellent gun belts.

For a dress belt I can't say enough about Jim Spiedel's (aka the Beltman)
bullhide belts. I have two of them and they are also reasonably priced
(for leather) and extremely high quality.

Tactical Belts - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC (http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43)

Gun Belts by The Belt Man (http://www.thebeltman.net/)

Michael-

tomsem
06-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Michael, here is a link of pics from another forum members holsters. He posted these and emailed me that he was very happy with them.

I was impressed with the pictures and ordered up a copy of both his. I will post a review when I get them but here is his.

My new EDC rig, Kahr PM9 and R. Grizzle. - Topic Powered by Social Strata (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/7810008312)

Rgrizzle's Pocket holsters are really great looking.
They're the only one that I've seen that addresses the one
HUGE thing missing with most leather pocket holsters, namely
having the radius to curve and lie flat against your leg.
With most leather holsters I've tried the forward edge sticks
out and prints too much in my pocket.

I currently carry both PM9 and P380 in a DeSantis Nemesis
which will conform into a curve after some wear but the
RGrizzile pocket holster may be in my future to try out.

Tomsem, please post some pics and a review of your holsters
when they arrive.

Thanks,

Michael-

joshh
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
i like the look of that rgrizzle countryboy holster. looks like it fits the pm9's size perfectly. prices are decent too. i need a backpocket carry too so i am looking at this from pocketholsters.com or the kydex one on kahrs site that holds extra mag
http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kahr_Arms_Pocket_Wallet_Holste/a_KahrRHLH.jpg

RockChalk
06-18-2010, 06:00 AM
I have the pocketholster pictured above for my PM9 but i have found that many of my pants do not have big enough back pockets to fit this holster very well.

OldLincoln
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I typically wear Levi type pants and found the back pockets don't conceal the PM9. The gun holds the pocket open and anybody close behind you will see the grip. I pictured some clown behind me in the checkout line of a store would grab it and rob the store with my gun.

I suggest checking it out before buying by wrapping 1/4" of newspaper around your gun to equal the 1/2" total it will add.

joshh
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
how about this one? anybody try it? kahr sells it on thier site.
http://home.comcast.net/~routedriver/pub/Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Swat_dude
06-18-2010, 03:38 PM
I was interested in that holster as well because it held a spare mag and then after giving it some thought, It would be super awkward to get the spare while holding your firearm. I settled on the JS Holster to go in my right front pocket and I carry the spare mag in my left front. I am still waiting for it to ship.

Michael W.
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
how about this one? anybody try it? kahr sells it on thier site.
http://home.comcast.net/~routedriver/pub/Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

How would you get a firing grip on the handle with this setup?

I carry in a DeSantis Nemesis with a Nemesis MagPacker
on the weak side pocket.

I have the same setup for both PM9 and P380.

M-

joshh
06-22-2010, 10:03 PM
i am now looking at the cheap tuckable ace case holster. from what i read the reviews are positive but i havent seen any pics of a pm9 in one. has anybody tried it and if so which model works and any pics?