PDA

View Full Version : Geissele G2S, SSA, and SSA-e (quick review)

CJB
05-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Thought I'd give a quicky review of the Geissele triggers for the AR, since most of the stories you hear, like a lot of stuff on the internet, is based on what groupthink is, not actual experience.

On the Geissele G2S, SSA and SSA-e I'll be speaking from experience.

All three are great. All three are leaps and bounds better than any stock Stoner-design trigger.

A little history (also from direct experience). The original design trigger in the AR just could not have sucked as badly as it did when Colt put it into production. There's no reason for it being like it is, except to stay lawyer friendly. Here's the problem - and the military triggers are no better - the sear surface on the front of the trigger is made intentionally with an undercut. That undercut has to lift the hammer slightly in order to release the hammer.

Geissele triggers are a completely different design, more like an M1/M14 trigger. They're also a two stage trigger, which means you have a take up, then a little resistance, move just a hair more and "snap" she fires. They're also cut with the correct angles to neither lift or drop the hammer as the sear slides out of the engagement surface.

First, the SSA-e. I got that one, wanting a really nice trigger on a Colt M4. Its a REALLY nice trigger. Its about 3-1/2 lbs. That is, about 2lbs on initial take up, then about 1lb more to release. I say 3-1/2.... could be 3lbs. Its light, like a good bolt action. It also breaks very cleanly. Almost no discernable creep.

The SSA and G2S are nearly the same in feel. In fact, my G2S feels a little better than the SSA. Compared to the SSA-e, I'd say they're just a tad heavier, maybe 1/2 lb heavier, and just a hair more creep. Geissele says SSA and G2S the same material, same wire cut EDM process. Finish wise, my own G2S has a shinier finish than the SSA. Don't know why. Geiselle also says they magnaflux on a spot check basis, rather than every single SSA or SSA-e trigger. The main difference is the price. Rather than $230 SSA, the G2S is $165. Not chump change in savings. There's also a little clip spring that holds the hammer pin in place, preventing it from walking out. They provide two clips in case you lose one. If you use antiwalk pins, its of no consequence.

Geissele also provides an assembly pin, a hammer and trigger pin, and a little vial of lube with each trigger set.

They're easy to put in. Very easy. With a 1/8 inch punch, I put the last one in while sittin' on the throne taking a dump. Bad visual, I know, but they're easy to install.

And thats it. The G2S is supposed to be the inexpensive trigger set, and it is, but the quality is up, and the feel of the trigger is good.

And thats about it . All three are used in military rifles in US armed services on the front lines. Geissele makes a big deal of that, and since his stuff holds up, I guess its well deserved braggin' rights.

100percent
05-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Nice report, guess I am used to the std military trigger. I have built up 3 of them. How much am I going to spend on one?

CJB
05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
For $165, from Geissele, you'll get a trigger, free shipping a a cool as hell swag pack. Hat, decals, patches, emblems.... you name it. The discount structure is regulated by Geissele, so you rarely see a sale. Everyonce in a while PSA has a package of LPK/Geissele trigger that is a good price (save $30-$40).

For that layout, you'll do miles and miles ahead of any mil type or Colt factory trigger, and you'll do better than Timney etc etc in terms of the right steel, the right finish and the exact same as they're using in over in harms way as we speak.

That would be the G2S trigger.

~

After I wrote the review, I went back and critically looked at the SSA-e vs SSA vs G2S. My own G2S is better than the SSA, and very close to the SSA-e (the hand tuned one from Geissele). YMMV, but my money will be on a G2S from now on. Its a lot of trigger for the money (when compared to the upmarket SSA/SSA-e). Think in terms of "the CM series". Meant to be affordable without sacrifice where its important.

timmy
05-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Got my G2S for $150 shipped love the trigger

CJB
05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Yah they had a price increase May 1 as I'm made to believe #@$@#$@

Alfonse
05-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks. I've been wondering what trigger to try. This helps!