PDA

View Full Version : CM9 side cover screw coming loose

Danno59
05-26-2014, 01:07 AM
I recently picked up a new CM9. I went shooting today and noticed the little screw on the removable plate on the right side of the gun had worked loose. I gently tightened the screw which drew the plate flush as it should be, but the screw never seemed to get tight, so I quit turning it. I can't tell if the screw is stripped, or if I just didn't go far enough with it, and it seems that the screw head was actually drawing deeper into the plastic. Any ideas? I just hope I don't need to send it back to Kahr because this would be the 2nd brand new gun in one month that would have been defective. The first gun that was sent back was my Sig P2022. Thanks.

gb6491
05-26-2014, 01:37 AM
I recently picked up a new CM9. I went shooting today and noticed the little screw on the removable plate on the right side of the gun had worked loose. I gently tightened the screw which drew the plate flush as it should be, but the screw never seemed to get tight, so I quit turning it. I can't tell if the screw is stripped, or if I just didn't go far enough with it, and it seems that the screw head was actually drawing deeper into the plastic. Any ideas?....s.
Are you sure the screw was tight to begin with? There have been a few instances where folks noticed that screw standing a little proud right out of the box. If that was the case, the plate could have popped up.

If the screw head seemed to be drawing deeper, I'd be inclined to think that the hole isn't stripped.

The side plate being flush is good. Tightening the screw until it's nearly flush or flush with the plate is also good. There's really no need to go past that. Older poly Kahrs had a pin there instead of the screw.

Keep an eye on it the next few shooting sessions just to put your mind at ease.

Regards,
Greg

CJB
05-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Worst case it goes back. Not the end of the world.

We had a guy here fixed his OOW (used) PM's slide stop screw area with little brass insert. Seemed very slick. Another guy used a bit of ho glue on a toothpick to build up the inside of the hole a bit, that was a sideplate screw as I recall.

Shoot it, keep an on on it... this is no deal breaker by any means. They're not prone to stripping or coming loose, so you're probably ok.

Rubb
05-26-2014, 08:42 AM
What exactly is ho glue and why would you use that to build up a hole?
You would think ho glue would break a hole down??

:)

Rob K
05-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Try some blue Loctite thread locker on the threads. It will keep it from backing out yet it will still be removable. Don't use the red Loctite, or you may have trouble taking it out in the future. Every auto parts store should carry this. Good luck and good shooting !

Danno59
05-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, sounds like it may be an easy fix. This is my 2nd Kahr (first one being a CW9) and I really like these guns. I'll try the blue Loctite and not worry too much about it. I have ran about 100-125 rounds through the CM so far, have a little bit of polymer shaving inside. Is this normal for the CM as well? My CW has never shaved, at least not noticeably, and I have 500 or so rounds through that one.

Bawanna
05-26-2014, 08:13 PM
I'd not use the LocTite myself. It's not designed for metal to polymer. I've heard that it can do funny things and even the non permanent stuff can become semi permanent in that you'll take out the threads if you remove the screw.

I'd probably try some simple finger nail polish or probably nothing at all until you determine that it wants to back out again.

As Greg mentioned, maybe it wasn't tight to begin with and just snugging it down will be a cure itself.

CJB
05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Ho glue.... sold at Ho Ward Johns Sons

DavidS
05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
As Greg mentioned, maybe it wasn't tight to begin with and just snugging it down will be a cure itself.

I would go with this suggestion. I had the same problem with my MK40. Luckily the screw fell out in my hand as I was removing the empty mag. I checked the rest and the other three screws were also loose - all about the same amount. Sorta says they were not tightened properly at assembly. I put a screwdriver to each of them and will wait and see what happens.