PDA

View Full Version : 2 AR or not 2 AR

getsome
05-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Need a little help from you AR Black Gun guys....In the past I haven't really been interested in an AR but recently after a gun show visit I got the bug for one BUT money is an issue here...Now I hate cheap guns and would rather do without one than buy something cheap and crappy just because it's inexpensive but after looking and holding a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 I stared to get really interested in this rifle....The retail price at my LGS is $689.00 out the door and that to me is expensive but wouldn't break the bank...

I understand this is an entry level rifle and thats fine because all I would use it for is target shooting or to fight off hungry angry armed zombie mobs after the world goes to chit so I'm really not interested in optics, lights or lasers but only want a decent quality, reliable rifle with a good warranty...

Now I don't know squat about AR rifles and have never shot one and until very recently figured I would never need or want one....I have read about the M&P AR online and it seems to get pretty good reviews and the fact that it doesn't have forward assist and a dust cover doesn't seem to be a big issue in the articles I've read so far so my general questions are:

1. Is this a decent quality rifle?

2. Will I likely be sorry I didn't save up and spend more for something like a Daniel Defense or equal rifle?

3. Will I be sorry it doesnt have a forward assist and dust cover?

Any information and opionions pro or con from you savy AR guys will be much appreciated and if you talk me out of it that's fine too because in reality buying this rifle is more of an "I want one" rather than "I really need this thing" kind of deal ....

As always thank y'all all for your knowledge and time!!!....:yo:

Bawanna
05-27-2014, 12:44 PM
You have a bank? I'm jealous.

I baby sit about 40 AR's and a half dozen M16's.

Folks seldom use the forward assist and the dust cover while a nice thing certainly isn't a necessity at all. Especially based on your needs which is primarily satisfying your AR want itch.

We have a couple of the S&W's owned by officers, not sure if they are the Sport, pretty sure they are up a little bit on the food chain.

If you truly become smitten with the AR bug you'll indeed want to step up to the Daniel Defense or if it's a bad case of smitten the Larue's.

Those will assuredly break most banks but they are damn nice.

I had a Colt Match Target for a spell and in a recession of the AR bug I foolishly sold it and of course my timing was awful so I basically gave it away. I'm a fool.

I occasionally get the hankering for another. I've thought I'd go with a Wyndham myself. There's just too many choices out there now days with a full array of price range.

Getting the rifle is the first phase, then the hunt for add ons begins. I call em Mr. Potato Head guns, you can hand stuff on em till the cows come home.

muggsy
05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
There isn't anything wrong with the M&P if you want one for informal target shooting or plinking. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might be better off with a rifle with a chrome lined chamber and bore.

gb6491
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
There isn't anything wrong with the M&P if you want one for informal target shooting or plinking. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting you might be better off with a rifle with a chrome lined chamber and bore.
As far as I know, the S&W's barrel is Melonite treated. There's a lot of internet chatter in regards to Melonite vs chrome lined. My take is that it's a toss up as to which is better.
Regards,
Greg

itsthelaw
05-27-2014, 02:30 PM
I have a Daniel Defense, and it is good quality. For the first one, I was told to purchase a complete gun. I also had a Palmetto State Armory AR15 that was good and fairly inexpensive. Then I decided that I really didn't need 2 of them.

I have a friend who is a rep for a bunch of gun and gear lines. He sells MMC Armory ARs. If I was in the market or wanted to sell the DD, I would buy one of the MMCs in a second. It is made in the US with great components and a really nice trigger. Since they don't have the name DD has, they are aggressive with their pricing.

knkali
05-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Its good for your needs. Pull the trigger(pun intended) and get one. I have the MP 15 OR model and I have tried to kill it but it is a work horse. I think the warranty on SW is a very good one too IIRC

TheTman
05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
I too never really wanted one until all the chatter about banning them. And that has me thinking I probably ought to get one while I can. slickguns.com has a page for AR deals, that might help you find one at a good price. There is a very wide variety of models available, looks like you can get one from around $600 up. Depending on the features you want.

getsome
05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Thank you all very much!!!....I hear you Tman, I didn't really want a "black rifle" so much until they started talking about a ban and while I think we're safe from Obama with all the crap he has going on like the UACA and all the other scandals I'm not too worried right now but when Hillary gets in the WH I think her "Legacy" will be putting back in force Billy's assault weapon ban so I want to get one before it's too late...

I think I will go ahead with the S&W since it seems like it will fit what I want to do with it which is mainly plinking and range use and the price is something I can live with....I am going to trade in a nice 1911 for the AR so I'll have to do it through my LGS to get the trade for the pistol or I would buy the thing online and save a few bucks but I really like my LGS guy and he's pretty fair with trades so soon as I can get a day off to go see him I'll bring home an AR....

I really appreciate the advice on the AR platform and it will definately be a learning experience for me since I now know almost nohing so I will probably be asking for help again with the thing when I finally get it home....Thanks again guys!!!

Bawanna
05-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Are ya gonna tell bawanna about the nice 1911 your trading in or what?

Do it in a PM, you know there's plenty of vultures around here with no ethics when it comes to jumping on stuff.

getsome
05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Well it's not THAT nice really and nothing to get excited about but it's the replacement S&W 1911 for the one the Police stole from me a couple years ago...It belongs to my son who went through his 1911 phase and now wants to modernize with an AR....I'm going to ask 5 bills for it and see if the gunshop will take it and if not I will put it up for sale....

CJB
05-27-2014, 03:46 PM
I've got fairly early AR with no asst, and a few very recent AR's with assist. My first rifle with forward assist was and HBar. I was shooting my reloads and every once in a while.... ha ha... I'd have to whack that ol lever and seat a round.

In real life, its not a deal breaker. We fought well into the 1980's with M16's, no A1, no A2, etc. Plain slab side, slick bolt, plain jane M16's. Those were used in armed conflicts until about that time.

The Air Force wanted the forward assist. The Army thought the rifle was ok "as is".

With good ammo, its rarely needed, if ever.

Important on an AR-15
no order

1. Chrome bore (unless stainless barrel), MP inspected and HP inspected.
2. Chrome lined bolt carrier
3. Chrome firing pin.
4. Made from 7075-T6 as opposed to 60xx series aluminum.
5. Bolt made from Carpenter 158 steel, MP inspected, HP inpected. Bolts tend to break, you want a good one!

The rest icing on the cake.

Colt M4's are seen under $1000 at times, like $989. Every day you can get one thats under $1050.
Same for the exellent FN rifle, which is as good as or better than the Colt (better barrel its said).

I know, its 50 percent more.....

Another alternative is to slowly start to build one, getting a good upper, and adding the rest as you go. More money, but you get EXACTLY what you want, and you can pay as you go, making the price easier to swallow.

Bawanna
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Well it's not THAT nice really and nothing to get excited about but it's the replacement S&W 1911 for the one the Police stole from me a couple years ago...It belongs to my son who went through his 1911 phase and now wants to modernize with an AR....I'm going to ask 5 bills for it and see if the gunshop will take it and if not I will put it up for sale....

1911 is a phase? You mean someday I might get over them and not want everyone I see? That is good news indeed.

I did get over my AR phase but I still have relapses as suggest above whenever Hitlery or Ovomit or Feinstein etc is mentioned then it becomes a just cuz must have.

getsome
05-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Well he has another Kimber 1911 now so this one is a spare and doesn't get shot much anymore and while I hate to see any nice pistol go I want to get the AR before they outlaw um again...

getsome
05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Oh thanks CJB, I just saw your post.......I may wish later I had held out for a nicer rifle but with money tight and with it having a good S&W warranty that will fix anything that might go wrong I think this little plain jane AR will be just the ticket to get us started....

Barth
05-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I almost went for a Colt LE6920.
Walmart has had some crazy good pricing on them.

Ended up going with a Bulgarian 5.56 10.5" Suchka PDW.
I have no explanation for my discussions.
Except I like short guns.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/barthunderwood/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0385_zps748c2404.jpg

100percent
05-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I have never bought a gun there but the local wally world had the smith ARs for 489. They had half a dozen of them. The last AR I built was about 500 6 months ago. Am happy with it.

Jollyrogers
05-27-2014, 05:23 PM
I have shot a friends M&P 15. Nice little AR and the price is right @599 here locally. So I say go for it. Personally I would get the FN carbine, but that is only because I have a lot of other FNH firearms, and when I went looking for a 5.56, ended up with a SCAR light.
It's interesting to me that so many who were not interested in the AR platforms are now. My dad is another example, he said to me there is no reason to buy one, hunting only need the bolt action etc etc... he was up back in Jan and shot my SCAR... then called me a month ago to tell me not to buy an AR, since he got a Windham and was willing it to me!

itsthelaw
05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Windhams are nice too. The company's story is a great one.

Armybrat
05-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Grabagun near Dallas has the S&W Sport for $566 plus $5.99 shipping. They were quick & easy about sending mine.

Here's the thread I started about it:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22413

That little rifle is a nice shooter & well made. A great bargain for the money. I highly recommend it as a first AR - buy one - if you like it & catch the bug, then get something fancier as others here suggest and keep the Sport for a backup extra. :D

deadeye
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
My son in law bought a M&P 15 Sport at the same time I bought a DPMS Sportical. Both are excellent AR's. I have put a little over a thousand rounds through my DPMS without one problem. They are both solid well built guns. If you are going to wear camo., wear a black sweat band, carry a Bowie knife in your teeth, mumble a lot, parachute into the desert or roll around in a mud bog you will probably need something a little different. For sport shooting and a little hunting they are both excellent.

knkali
05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I almost went for a Colt LE6920.
Walmart has had some crazy good pricing on them.

Ended up going with a Bulgarian 5.56 10.5" Suchka PDW.
I have no explanation for my discussions.
Except I like short guns.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/barthunderwood/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0385_zps748c2404.jpg

Dude, I have said this before, .........you got some cool stuff.

DeaconKC
05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
I know several LEOs who bought and use the S&W. They are very satisfied with them. I built my own AR last year and it was a lot of fun.

DanTana
05-28-2014, 05:25 PM
I've got fairly early AR with no asst, and a few very recent AR's with assist. My first rifle with forward assist was and HBar. I was shooting my reloads and every once in a while.... ha ha... I'd have to whack that ol lever and seat a round.

In real life, its not a deal breaker. We fought well into the 1980's with M16's, no A1, no A2, etc. Plain slab side, slick bolt, plain jane M16's. Those were used in armed conflicts until about that time.

The Air Force wanted the forward assist. The Army thought the rifle was ok "as is".

With good ammo, its rarely needed, if ever.

Important on an AR-15
no order

1. Chrome bore (unless stainless barrel), MP inspected and HP inspected.
2. Chrome lined bolt carrier
3. Chrome firing pin.
4. Made from 7075-T6 as opposed to 60xx series aluminum.
5. Bolt made from Carpenter 158 steel, MP inspected, HP inpected. Bolts tend to break, you want a good one!

The rest icing on the cake.

Colt M4's are seen under $1000 at times, like $989. Every day you can get one thats under $1050.
Same for the exellent FN rifle, which is as good as or better than the Colt (better barrel its said).

I know, its 50 percent more.....

Another alternative is to slowly start to build one, getting a good upper, and adding the rest as you go. More money, but you get EXACTLY what you want, and you can pay as you go, making the price easier to swallow.

What models support those features that don't cost an arm and a leg? How about the DPMS Oracle?

CJB
05-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Dunno.

CDNN has Colt M4 MOE for 999 right now....those got all that

Armybrat
05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Dunno.

CDNN has Colt M4 MOE for 999 right now....those got all that

That's the LE6920 with all the Magpul furniture, if I looked at the correct one. That is a really good buy.

BEARDOG
05-28-2014, 07:46 PM
That's the LE6920 with all the Magpul furniture, if I looked at the correct one. That is a really good buy.

How about $100 less then that:)

Buds has the Colt 6920 with Magpul OD furniture and Colt carry case @$894 shipped.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84320

BEARDOG
05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
What models support those features that don't cost an arm and a leg? How about the DPMS Oracle?

I wouldn't buy a DPMS. YMMV.

Here is a Spikes Tactical carbine for $729
https://www.primaryarms.com/Spikes-Tactical-16-ST-15-M4-LE-Carbine-5-56x45-p/str-5025-m4s.htm

Spikes makes top notch stuff at a very good price, fully Mil spec, with a lifetime warranty.

DanTana
05-28-2014, 10:23 PM
That seems like a good deal, thanks Beardog!

hardluk1
05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
getsome These guy tend to get a little side tracked at times. The M&P15 sport is a good ar for the money. Around $600 here new. It does everything well and really needs nothing . Buy it and shot it hard.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763_977/products_id/71969

getsome
05-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks hardluk, thats what I plan to do in a few weeks when I can save up a few more bucks....Bought a box of shells last night so now I have to buy the rifle or I will have wasted the money...Am I right!!!!...:59:

deadeye
05-29-2014, 03:48 PM
getsome These guy tend to get a little side tracked at times. The M&P15 sport is a good ar for the money. Around $600 here new. It does everything well and really needs nothing . Buy it and shot it hard.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763_977/products_id/71969
Good advice. When I first got into AR's I found out something interesting. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. The common logic is as follows: "Why buy a Chevy when a Cadillac will do the same thing?" Guess it depends how much the WOW! factor is worth to you. We have a DPMS Sportical and an M&P 15. Both have been excellent. Not one problem with either. Enjoy it!

getsome
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Roger that sir.....I really want to thank everyone for the good advise in this thread and I hope it helps somebody else out as well....I was really feeling stupid because while I'm fairly knowledgeable about hand guns and most rifles I didn't know squat about the AR platform.... Thanks again fellows

b4uqzme
05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks hardluk, thats what I plan to do in a few weeks when I can save up a few more bucks....Bought a box of shells last night so now I have to buy the rifle or I will have wasted the money...Am I right!!!!...:59:

^^^^ that's good thinking right there....lock yourself in. Makes a good argument for the Mrs. too.

Enjoy it!!

mser
05-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Bought a box of shells last night so now I have to buy the rifle or I will have wasted the money...Am I right!!!!...:59:

I thought I was the only one who subscribed to that train of thought.

Armybrat
05-29-2014, 07:47 PM
How about $100 less then that:)

Buds has the Colt 6920 with Magpul OD furniture and Colt carry case @$894 shipped.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84320
Dang, BEARDOG - that's a good deal, even if it is OD green. ;)

DeaconKC
05-30-2014, 11:55 AM
MidwayUSA has a neat Magpul furniture special on right now, full set of furniture for $84.

ptoemmes
05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Lots of good advice here…and I do not even have an AR15. You can also go on over to ar15.com and get yourself really confused: DI or piston, make or buy, etc, etc, etc… Some of the supporting vendors offer complete ARs as well as parts in the Equipment Exchange there, too.

downtownv
05-30-2014, 03:22 PM
There are deals out there on hardly used models.

Bill
05-30-2014, 07:42 PM
I too never really wanted one until all the chatter about banning them.

My first Black Rifle, a Colt 6920, was bought specifically to pi$$ off Barbara Boxer. After that the fever started, so be careful:)

gun papa
05-31-2014, 06:56 AM
I have several ARs. They are Colts. Both perform fine. Everyone should have, and know how to use one. A decent AR these days is $700-$1100.
That said, my ARs are lonely. I have AKs in .223, and those get the range time. I keep an AR at my bedside for two reasons. 1. It has a light. 2. If I had to use it, I would not miss it as much while in the police evidence room.

hardluk1
05-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Buy the sport and enjoy it as a solid shooter that ist is then as time goes buy you can gather up the parts you want to build what you learn you really wanted over time and not make your wallet sqeeeeelll to badly. They are habit forming. Beside after the wife get some range time with it she may likely keep it as hers !

DeaconKC
06-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Getsome, when you decide you want to start swapping out stuff, read through this link at arfcom, warning it's over 200 pages of basic to dressed out ARs.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/409405_POST_PICS_OF_YOUR_BUILDS_HERE_____SHOW_EM_O FF__PT_2_.html

getsome
06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Well I brought her home from the gunshow yesterday....Got a S&W AR sport for $569.00 plus tax...We bought 3 extra Pmags, a strap and a Magpul forward grip and still got out for 7 bills...Haven't shot it yet but hope to soon...I'm a happy boy!!! broke but happy....Thanks again everybody for the advice....

knkali
06-30-2014, 12:00 PM
enjoy it and shoot the heck out of it.:amflag:

CPTKILLER
06-30-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a Sig 556XI that I love.

DeaconKC
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Congrats, hope it runs great for you!

TeaDub
06-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I love my M&P Sport. They are a good value.

deadeye
06-30-2014, 04:30 PM
I am a DPMS fan as mine has been flawless. My son in law has a M&P 15 and it has been great. Shoot that baby and enjoy it.

Armybrat
07-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Mine is a neat little rifle...

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/ebe25b747adbf184bbd03c6157ebc83b6e8fe6e.jpg

Barth
07-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I too never really wanted one until all the chatter about banning them. And that has me thinking I probably ought to get one while I can.

+1
After the third event and AWB scare I decided I needed a high capacity black gun.
Went AK rather than AR.
It's one sweet pup (Arsenal SLR-106U @ $862).
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/barthunderwood/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0385_zpse8f2c10c.jpg

CPTKILLER
07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
After a miserable and nearly deadly (for me) experience in Vietnam, I'm no fan of a M-16/M-4/AR-15.

I own a M1A SOCOM 16 and a Sig 556XI and so far am pleased.

Armybrat
07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
After a miserable and nearly deadly (for me) experience in Vietnam, I'm no fan of a M-16/M-4/AR-15.

I own a M1A SOCOM 16 and a Sig 556XI and so far am pleased.

Please tell us if you are so inclined.

I've read about some of the screw-ups in the early designs and how they cost a lot of good men their lives.

Pics of your M1A SOCOM 16 ? I'd love one of those, but can't afford it.

gun papa
08-01-2014, 12:48 AM
I have been around AR's since the mid 1970's. Gramps had an SP1. I own two Colts currently, and store a third for a friend. In my mid 20's I was a young rangemaster in charge of all the semi auto stuff. A Colt was my first centerfire rifle. I have never had issues with my Colts, but I have seen some really terrible stoppages with both the AR-15 of a variety of flavors as well as the SR-25. I may get flamed but it is a poor design that requires more care than any rifle I care to stake my life on. I live in rugged country. At a range on a sandbag, or in the house, it is a fine gun, but dragging it around, it would be unsuitable for rugged use.

downtownv
08-01-2014, 03:41 AM

I like the way you think Getsome, I'm gonna be watching you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfi4s8cjLFI

Armybrat
09-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Had to get this new Colt LE6920 MP-B as a companion for my S&W:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/18b351c744bdd1891b66b55907b131fab683109.jpg