PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW9 (new)

juturn.jt
06-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Hey everyone,
I just got a brand new CW9 and have fired about 100 rounds through the gun. In the first 100 rounds, I have had 1 failure to feed, 2 failures to fire, and 1 failure to eject. I am aware of the 200 round break in period. So far I really like the gun. I think it shoots very well, feels great in the hands, and is the perfect size for a carry weapon for me. I know Kahr makes very good guns, and these 4 malfunctions are not that huge of a deal to me considering the break in period. During the first 100 rounds I was shooting American Eagle and Fiochhi ammo. The American Eagle didn't actually have any malfunctions through my gun (apprx half the rounds were AE). My wife also shot about 100 rounds through her LC9 but shot all Fiochhi and didn't experience any malfunctions.

I'm looking for any recomondations of ammo that the CW9 seems to like better, or any information on cleaning/lubing techniques that help the gun. Specially, a good lube to use for after cleaning? Somewhat new to shooting. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DavidR
06-03-2014, 05:08 AM
Try to stick with 124 grain or higher ammo during the break in period as sometimes 115 grain ammo isn't strong enough for the gun to cycle properly.

Clean it well, I don't think it matters that much which lube you use. You may try polishing the barrel hood with stainless steel polish.

I had a few malfunctions during the break in period of my CW9 but rounds 201-400 have been flawless.

Photoman
06-03-2014, 05:46 AM
I'm thinking one should not even count the malfunctions that occur during the first 200 rounds.

juturn.jt
06-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I am really curious to see what happens after 200. Can't wait to get out and put some more rounds through her.

camojoe07
06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I have shot 900 rounds through mine with no malfunctions anywhere. The only one i had was a human error on my part. I use lucas oil gun oil on my firearms. Keep oil out of the striker channel as this will cause brass from cheap ammo to get in there and cause a malfunction. Keep her wet and lubed up and shell run flawlessly for you as they have for so many others. Keep to the oil and lube diagram on here and you should have no problems. Shoot the crap out of it. Happy shootin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warbird1
06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Clean...shoot...repeat. Probably just needs to wear in. Follow the lube diagram found here on the forum. Any high quality gun oil will work.

DavidS
06-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I had two FTE in the first 100 rounds on my MK40. I know that they were my fault, they were at about the 60 round point and I was getting a little sloppy with my grip (concentrating on getting used to the trigger pull). No problems since then now that I am stay more aware of my grip (and the break-in probably helped also).

berettabone
06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
JMHO...............I use Fiocchi 115 fmj.............seems to have a bit more power than some others like WWB and Blazer. I originally had 2 fte's with Blazer, none with Fiocchi when I was doing my breakin. I now use it in a few different calibers........seems a bit dirty, but does the trick.

hardluk1
06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
For the first 100 I prefer 124gr . But if 115gr is not running well wait till you get a 100 thru it and it will more than likely cycle fine too. Sounds like you could use something to aid grip control. Old inner tube stack grips , slip ons , lots of things to use. I have free old 1.75" inner tube on mine. Stop shooting to when you start having problem as the round count goes up. Up may find it shot great for 50 round befor the first problems set in. Loose your control over the grip will do that.

Check out Georgia arms "canned heat" for practice ammo. I have used it for many years as lower cost bulk practice ammo that's known to work well. and for new starline brass carry ammo. Remmy arms express tends to work well too. Run that pistol wet too.

juturn.jt
06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to post an update. After the first 100 rounds I cleaned and lubed well with break free clp. Ran another 100 rounds through today of 115 grain American Eagle fmj. The gun did not have a single malfunction during rounds 100-200. She is now broken in.