PDA

View Full Version : Carrying the P9

frjeff
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Anybody have any comments re their favorite way to carry the P9 or comparable pistol? Holsters, etc.

frjeff

ladydatura
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a CW9 and use either my black leather waist pack or conceal purse (ok might not be the best for you guys out there). They are both easy access and no one looking at them would suspect I'm carrying a 9mm. Yes, I do have a legal and current carry and conceal before anyone asks. The purse gets a bit heavy but if you don't have time to draw the weapon it can also deliver a substantial hit to the side of the head.

I've tried middle of the back, too shortwaisted for it and I also have a waist cross carry but I keep going back to my fanny/waist pack it's far more comfortable, looks like a regular old fanny pack so doesn't draw attention to itself and I can keep my id in the front portion.

cartier007
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I carry mine in my pocket in a fist kydex holster 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

RugerDog
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I carry my P9 in a SmartCarry.

EddieF
09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I haven't had my P9 Covert for very long, but I did just get this holster for it. I love the size of this gun! Wish I had those night sights on it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/eddief_01/P3220001.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/eddief_01/P3220002.jpg

steves1017
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I have owned several Kahrs, including the MK40 Elite, but when I called an inquired about getting a new mag follower for a CW40, customer service told me that it would be $14.00 with postage!!!

That is an expensive piece of PLASTIC, especially when they are prone to breakage when the mag is dropped.

I am disappointed with Kahr for even charging me for this piddly piece of plastic....while looking at my records and seeing how many of these guns I have bought from them.

Steve Schreiber

John J
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Columbia makes some great cargo shorts with a deep front pocket where I can keep my P9 in a pocket holster

EddieF
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I have owned several Kahrs, including the MK40 Elite, but when I called an inquired about getting a new mag follower for a CW40, customer service told me that it would be $14.00 with postage!!!

That is an expensive piece of PLASTIC, especially when they are prone to breakage when the mag is dropped.

I am disappointed with Kahr for even charging me for this piddly piece of plastic....while looking at my records and seeing how many of these guns I have bought from them.

Steve Schreiber

Steve I couldn't agree with you more. I bought a lightly used PM40 that had the same problem, and I paid the same price. I felt like it easily could have been a 'hey we'll pop one in the mail to you,' or even 'hey we can't just ship it for free but buy a t-shirt or something and we can throw one in the package.' Just a good customer relations move and wouldn't have cost them hardly anything. I ended up selling that guy because it just wasn't fun to shoot, but I love this P9.

Apples to oranges, I guess, but I had a Marlin lever gun and there was a little pin that fell out of the forestock. I described it over the phone to Marlin and she just put one in an envelope, addressed it and mailed it right then and there. I have since seen that pin elsewhere online for like ten bucks, plus shipping of course.

It's just a policy thing I guess, but those things DO get noticed and they DO create and retain long term customers. And you know how gun people are, if my Dad was a Marlin guy, then I'm a Marlin guy and my son'll be a Marlin guy. Takes very little expense to cement a relationship that you can't put a value on.

johnip
09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
In my case a P40

I carry a P40 in a bladetech IWB (Ultimate Conealment) very comfortable and
invisible even under a tee shirt. Although the holster allow one to tuck in the
shirt, my "advanced body architecture" does not so I leave my shirts untucked.

For my spare mag I use an old leatherman holde which is perfect.

skipper49
09-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I carry my P-40 in the excellent Blade-Tech,UCH some of the time, but my most used "holster" by far is a belly band. Belly bands and Kahrs go together like grits and eggs.

Skip

spd522
09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I use a Crossbreed IWB holster. It allows concealment with or without the shirt tucked in.

In winter, I often stick my P9 or PM9 in the chest pocket of my North Face Mountain Parka. Kind of a cross draw that way.

Craig

OldGuyinTN
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Don Hume IWB for my CW9. It's inexpensive, well made, and comfortable.

eric55
09-04-2009, 12:05 AM
this is Kahr's blog cant we have a senior Kahr rep. explain this lack of costumer service. maybe through this blog they will bump it up a notch

FMF4
09-04-2009, 12:17 AM
On the contrary, I have had very good experiences with Kahr's customer service. I had a issue with my K40's slide locking open while shooting. I sent a e-mail to Kahr and received a slide stop spring and a magazine follower in the mail a few days later. No charge.

BigJim
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I carry my P45 in a Bianchi Leather Paddle holster with a lock released by your finger. with most of my hand guns I use Fobus paddle holsters, however, I use a De Santis paddle with my XD-40 and a Blackhawk Carbon Fiber with my PT1911. I prefer paddle holsters due to "off limits" locations.
My only concerns are the long-term effect of the Fobus and similar Kydex type holsters on the handguns. Any thoughts?

bulletnose
09-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I like to use an IWB holster. Have carried different weapons over the years including a K9, but feel that the P9 in a IWB holster is by far the most comfortable for it's size and handling qualities. J M H O

mr.72
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
CW9 in a FIST K3. Put some moleskin on the inside of the K3. Works great, super comfortable, conceals great. Pricey for what you get but otherwise, I can't complain.

If I had it to do over again I might get a different belt attachment than the J-hook (loops/snaps would be better I think). Other than that, I am super pleased with the K3.

kpm9
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
PM9 in a Pro undercover slide by Comp-Tac.

car
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
CW9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. Used to use a Bladetech UCH IWB.

Those of you with the Crossbreed or Bladetech or any IWB for that matter: how do you tuck your shirt in and hide the clips that attach to your belt?

Pics would be great, if possible.

Thanks!

hdawson
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I've recently added the Crimson Trace laser to my CW9 and waiting on the Mitch Rosen holster designed for the three inch Kahrs. Acccording to Kahr the only dimensional difference is in the barrel length and grip area. I'm going to be mightly disappointed if it doesn't work, but it was a risk I knowingly took.:cool:

Vincent
09-07-2009, 07:48 AM
I carry a CW9 everyday I leave my house. It is in a Bianchi 105 Belt slide which I really like. Holds the pistol right up against my side and no onme yet has said they can see it.

TN has a "Carry" permit which means open or concealed so I do not worried a whole bunch about it "printing but even with that so far so good.

bowyer2002
09-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I use the clipdraw - makes the pistol easy to carry even while wearing just shorts & a tee shirt. I don't worry about the pistols finish and just give it a regular cleaning to remove any lint or extra sweat that may get on it.

sharpetop
09-08-2009, 08:40 AM
PM9 in a Pro undercover slide by Comp-Tac.

Only mine is a CW9 in the IWB version. Easy on and off and comfy. I also have a K&D Laredo Defender that I wear at times.

DakPara
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I carry my P9 four ways:

1. OWB - Galco M7X Matrix - for max comfort, and loose outer shirt
2. OWB/Inside Belt - Galco Jak Slide - with sport coat, or tighter outer shirt
3. IWB - Comp-Tac MTAC - for more concealed, tuckable
4. Pocket - Desantis Super Fly - cargo shorts, quick trips from home

Beltman black leather belt, or Wilderness Instructor belt.

xaircav
05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
http://SDC10969.jpg

I carry mine in the IWB I bought from Kahr

noslolo
05-17-2010, 01:17 AM
CW40 in a OWB belt holster, works like a charm, super comfortable!!

at_liberty
05-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Anybody have any comments re their favorite way to carry the P9 or comparable pistol? Holsters, etc.

frjeff

For the part that actually inserts in the holster, there is nothing unique about carrying a P9/P40. However, it is not heavy enough to be a problem OWB and feeling top heavy.

It is the slim, uncluttered, and limited length grip, one round short of max, that makes the gun special to carry. Being black material helps too. Since the gun prints less than most others or not at all really, it is well suited to OWB, SOB, cross draw, you name it. IWB is the ultimate in my opinion and the way I prefer to carry with pants that aren't too snug to allow it. I enjoy and recommend a Crossbreed Minituck. I see that Comp-Tac has a similar design and its own following.

Hoop1101
05-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I carry my P9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck everyday. I love it!

MattTheKnife
05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
"Those of you with the Crossbreed or Bladetech or any IWB for that matter: how do you tuck your shirt in and hide the clips that attach to your belt?"

You can't hide them; only disguise them.

I'm of the opinion that a concealed gun must be concealed. That includes the holster. I can't count the number of large plastic/kydex clips and j-hooks I've seen attached to belts that serve no other purpose other than allowing one to tuck in their shirts around a gun.

This is why I only use an attachment that looks like a key-clip when I wear a tuckable holster.

A key clip attachment with a keyring attached draws no undue attention.

I favor the Fist tuckable holsters.

Moto_joe
05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Gunmate nylon holster. Actually very secure, low rise, and pretty damn comfy with an undershirt tucked under the gun and holster..... Tshirt untucked over it.

Nature of my day requires me to dawn and remove my pistol SEVERAL times per day, so more complicated holsters are a PITA for me.

On weekends I will go with a belt slide holster instead. Both at about 7:00ish (above left back pocket.... I am a lefty)

Roadblock
05-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I carry my P9 in a cargo shorts, in a pocket holster currently.

I'm waiting on my correct Tucker Silent Thunder (sent the wrong one by mistake) and then I'll probably do IWB.

polyglockahr
05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
PM9- Alessi pocket holster in left front pants pocket (the pistol practically disappears..) or a Comp-Tac paddle holster on the left hip (where the pistol is equally concealed.) Of course which one I use is dictated by the wardrobe as well as the application at the time.

Occasionally I'll use an old Blade Tech belt holster for it also...I got this when I first picked up the PM9 and like it much more than their current production belt holster.

Can't say enough about the quality and the performance of the Alessi and the Comp-Tac holsters- you WILL NOT go wrong with either.

Little Dragon
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Smart Carry!!!!!

FreedomsNotFree
05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
P9 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck is very comfortable

rkirk
05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I have two excellent IWB holsters. A Crossbreed Super Tuck and a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. Although I have lost some weight and have room in the jeans and kakis I wear. When I try to carry IWB almost instantly have real pain on the right side lower back at or above the belt line. I have two excellent gun belts, that do a good job of holding the gun weight without sagging.

I have decided I may have to be satisfied carrying with either a paddle holster or a pancake. I know Comp-Tac makes an excellent paddle. I have two and know that if requested they will mash the paddle to hold closer to the body. I have read several glowing reports on the Mitch Rosen sold on the Kahr site. I am 5' 7 weight 160 lb. and wear a size 34 pant. I am a lefty. I now am using an Uncle Mike's #3 for bad pocket carry and a Don Hume pancake open top made for my XD9 4" service model. The CW9 fits but is loose. I recently bought a Don Hume JIT which carries the CW9 very well, but is not a CCW holster. It really shows under a shirt. It is a good range holster.

Does any one have other suggestions for OWB carry for the P9 or CW9? I know that experience counts!

-- Richard

Bawanna
05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I have two excellent IWB holsters. A Crossbreed Super Tuck and a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. Although I have lost some weight and have room in the jeans and kakis I wear. When I try to carry IWB almost instantly have real pain on the right side lower back at or above the belt line. I have two excellent gun belts, that do a good job of holding the gun weight without sagging.

I have decided I may have to be satisfied carrying with either a paddle holster or a pancake. I know Comp-Tac makes an excellent paddle. I have two and know that if requested they will mash the paddle to hold closer to the body. I have read several glowing reports on the Mitch Rosen sold on the Kahr site. I am 5' 7 weight 160 lb. and wear a size 34 pant. I am a lefty. I now am using an Uncle Mike's #3 for bad pocket carry and a Don Hume pancake open top made for my XD9 4" service model. The CW9 fits but is loose. I recently bought a Don Hume JIT which carries the CW9 very well, but is not a CCW holster. It really shows under a shirt. It is a good range holster.

Does any one have other suggestions for OWB carry for the P9 or CW9? I know that experience counts!

-- Richard

I haven't checked with them yet but I intend to see if Mernickle will make a PS6 for my PM45. I have them for my 1911 and XD's as well as a cross draw rig for a Smith 629.
I like them because they ride extremely high, in fact he came out with a mid ride and low ride version cause many thought it was to high. If you have bad shoulders if might not be great. I think they would work great for these small kahrs. Don't hang down and interfere with my wheels and you don't need a overly long shirt to cover. Very little below the bottom of your belt and he has a clever little deal inside to keep even a large gun from tipping out on top since it rides so high. Open front design so you don't have to draw too high for a quick presentation, yet very secure. Has a nice website, really into cowboy, and fancy gun rigs but some darn nice CCW stuff. Great people to work with and honest as the day is long. When I think holster I think of him first. Check it out. Say hi to Bob, good guy.

at_liberty
05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Does any one have other suggestions for OWB carry for the P9 or CW9? I know that experience counts!-- Richard

The De Santis Belt-Slide Holster shown in the "Kahr Shop" at KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP (http://www.kahrshop.com/) is my favorite OWB for a Kahr, especially for the T9 and T40 because it will support the weight and has a nice forward cant to get the grip held in tight. I wasn't too sure about having a thumb break, but it works perfectly and very quickly, also serving as a body or sweat shield. This holster shows as available black only and is available left or right handed. It works with up to 1 1/4 belts. Price shown is $45.

rkirk
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Thank you gentlemen, research starts. These Kahr pistols carry so well and the 9 has become my friend!

-- Richard

aray
05-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Bianchi Model 100 Size 9A for my CW9. 100 Professional™ (http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100) . Got it on sale from Cop Quest Police Equipment from CopQuest.com - (800) 728-0974 (http://copquest.com/) . I like the high back that provides a shield that keeps the gun from rubbing up against your body. I prefer to carry inside the waistband, and whether I'm carrying or not I like to go with my shirt tail untucked.

cgo99
05-30-2010, 06:31 AM
PM9 in either a Galco pocket holster or the Desantis Nemesis (depending of the size of the pockets) about 50% of the time. The other 50 I was carrying on a Don Hume JIT but I recently ordered a dmbullard IWB called "Jr Dual Carry" , can't wait to try it.