PDA

View Full Version : CM9 -- Another "which mags should I buy" question

tycoonbob
06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi all. Picked up my CM9 yesterday (after waiting two weeks from the time I ordered), and will be taking it to the range this weekend. Since I've picked it up, I've cleaned it down, lubed according to the stickies around here, hand racked the slide about 350 times. Finally, I gave it another cleaning and lubed again. Should be ready to go to the range, but I want to pick up a couple extra mags before I go.

My CM9 is going to be a pocket carry pistol for me, in my rear pocket with an ezholster (http://ezholsters.com/shop/kahr-cm9-ez-holster/).
***the CM9 fits fine in my rear pocket in jeans as well as dress slacks.

So, I'm looking to buy a couple spare mags for the range, which I may end up carry one of these spares as well. Locally, I can pick up the following:
MK620 (stock 6 rd)
MK720 (7 rd, ext base)
K820 (7 rd, flat base)
K920G (8 rd, ext base)

I can get the others, but they have to order it for me.

I was really hoping to get a couple K920s (8 rd, ext base) but I would have to order those and wouldn't have them until after this weekend. I can wait, but I was curious what the K920G looks like on the CM9? I assume there is a gap between the ext base and bottom of the magwell, but I can't find any pictures of that. Does anyone know of any around here or elsewhere so I can see? If it looks tacky, I'll probably just order 2 K920's instead, and stick with the single 6 rd this weekend.

Or should I get MK720/K820 instead? Do the 7 rd work better than 8 rd in the CM9?

DavidR
06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I can't point you to pics right now but if you're worried about looks, anything other than the 6 round mag looks awful.

tycoonbob
06-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I can't point you to pics right now but if you're worried about looks, anything other than the 6 round mag looks awful.

Well, the 7 rd ext. base mag on a CM9/PM9 doesn't really look bad, in my opinion:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7012/dscn1958r.jpg

I'm just wanting to see what the 8 rd ext. base mag looks like on the CM9.

tycoonbob
06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Ah, found what I was looking for...

8 rd ext, CM9
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/3479/photo3yf.jpg

wyntrout
06-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I carry the flushest mag in the pistol for concealed carry and the largest extended grip mag for a reload on my belt opposite my IWB holstered Kahr.

For 9mm that's the K920G... 8 rounds with the extended grip to facilitate handling and for comfort, if it digs in my side. I'm not a fan of "pinky grips" and replace them whenever I can with the metal base plates, and lately the black ones which are even cheaper. I wish that they made those black metal ones for the Kahr .45's.

I maintain 3-4 standard capacity mags and 6-10 "high capacity" mags per pistol. At the range I use them all and mark the mags with a Sharpie if I have any malfunctions. For carry, I just use the ones with no marks.

The prices aren't current on the mags, but here's my post with pictures:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2944&highlight=K920G+springs

Wynn:)

tycoonbob
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks wyntrout.

I can pick up K920G (8 rd w/ ext. base) for $26.99 locally. I may just go ahead and grab those and if I end up hating the base, I can get steel replacements like you mentioned (wasn't aware those were available).

berettabone
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM
You stated that this was going to be a pocket pistol for you. Why would you want to use anything but 6 rounders? Personally, I have nothing but six rounders. Most reliable, best for carry of course. To me, loading six rounders at the range, instead of using 7 or 8 rounders is no big deal. The extra shot or two at the range means nothing to me. They seem to go real fast regardless. Using my maglula, I don't mind a bit more reloading, and it is just a bit.

DavidR
06-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Well, the 7 rd ext. base mag on a CM9/PM9 doesn't really look bad, in my opinion:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7012/dscn1958r.jpg

I'm just wanting to see what the 8 rd ext. base mag looks like on the CM9.

You're right! I haven't seen that one before.

wyntrout
06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
These are my PM9 and P9 carry mags... the flushest possible, and my P40 mags are similarly equipped:

http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6910&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1353060703

My spares are the largest capacity Kahr mags available and I find the extended grip versions to be easier to handle and the least intrusive to my side:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2201&stc=1&d=1281383573

I don't like or need the regular so-called "flush-fitting" polymer bases with the "pinky" rest.

If I wanted a big fat extended grip, I would carry my Glock 23C or 19. :rolleyes:

In an emergency, 2 more rounds might make the difference. No one has ever survived a gunfight and complained of too much ammo. The extended mags are for the range OR emergency reloads.

muggsy
06-04-2014, 05:09 PM
If I were you I'd stick with the six round mags. They're fairly trouble free. The others are problematic.

wyntrout
06-04-2014, 05:13 PM
If I were only buying ONE spare, it would be another 6-rounder for concealment backup. I like lots of magazines and have 3-4 flush ones as well as 6-10 "high capacity" Kahr mags for spare carry and range use.

I try to cycle all of my mags through range use and use the ones without any problems for CCW.

tycoonbob
06-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I plan to buy 2 more mags, at least right now. If the 6 rd are trouble free and the 7 and 8 rd mags have any sort of problems, I will pass on them and get 2 6 rd mags.

berettabone
06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I plan to buy 2 more mags, at least right now. If the 6 rd are trouble free and the 7 and 8 rd mags have any sort of problems, I will pass on them and get 2 6 rd mags.
No one said trouble free...........just less prone to problems would be a better statementhttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif Sounds like a wise choice.

tycoonbob
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Ended up buying a single 8 rd extended mag for this weekend. I will later buy 2 more of the 6 rd mags, though.

Shot the 8 rd ext mag 6 times yesterday (48 rounds) and had no issues. Shot the factory 6 rd mag 6 times as well (36 rounds) and also had no issues. So first 84 rounds through my CM9 were trouble free!

timmy
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
My 8 round mag i just got ran perfect the other day just ordered a 7 round mag this evening to give a try

srk468
06-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I bought a 7 round right after buying my CM9 because I didn't know there were 8 rounders. I just bought 3 8 rounders and ran 120 rounds through them on Sunday and they worked flawlessly. I'll be carrying two 8 round mags for backup and just the 6 round in the gun while carrying.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

GARYP
06-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Pierce Grips makes very nice pinky extensions. I don't know how these modified mags will fit in an Ezholster, I use a Desantis Nemisis and the draw did not change. LOTS more control with 3 fingers instead of 2 holding your weapon.

Decado
06-13-2014, 09:48 AM
I bought a 7rd for my cm9 from grab a gun, think it was $22.99, came up to $26 and change with shipping.

I hope it works, also got the Pearce pinky extension for my 6 round mag.

b4uqzme
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm with Wynn = carry the largest capacity back-up mags as possible. I have 7 rounders but I wish I would have bought 8's. You only need one flush mag IMO = the one in your holster. The extra cap backups conceal just fine in your pocket or mag carrier.

Just test them to make sure they run OK.

jocko
06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
just be damn damn sure anyt exteneded mag u buy for your cm orf pm series WORKS perfect..

gmcjetpilot
06-24-2014, 05:11 AM
I would go with factory 6 round Mag, buy two extra and an Uppula Loader.

One or two rounds in a Mag does not make a difference at the range.

The gun is a sub compact and extension on mag kind of defeats that. IMHO.

People talk about gun battles needing mass Ammo? FBI says typical gun fights are 3 3 3: at 3 yards, last 3 seconds where 3 rounds are fired. Gun fight can be over in one round. If you want you can always load 6+1.... so no to extended mag.

I have a Glock 26 (stock mag 10 rounds) and have one extra G19 mag (15 rounds) w/ X sleeve I use with my G26 at range. The difference between 10 to 15 rounds is significant. It is fun to fire 16 rapid rounds at the range, but I don't ever carry the G26 with the longer 15 Rd. mag. In fact I only load the G26 with stock 10 Rd mag to 7+1 rounds. Bullets are weight. It makes a difference in carry comfort. Load a G26 will a 11 rounds (or 16 rounds or 18 rounds with G17 mag) it is noticeably heaver. I need suspenders to hold my pants up. However around the house I will use the 15 round mag loaded to 8 rounds. The extended grip is nice to hold onto as well.... The nice thing about GLOCK.... all the mags are the same from 10, 15, 17 rounds to 33 rounds! YES I can buy a 33 round Mag that will feed like hot knife through butter.

jocko
06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
LISTEN TO "PILOT" HE IS ON TARGET. i HAVE AN UPLULA AND NEVER USE IT ANYMORE. i JUST LOAD 1 ROUND SHORT IN MY 6 ROUND MAG AND IT IS SO MUCH ICER AND FOR RANGE USE, WHY PRESS IT. Just sayi

the ulula is the best though.