PDA

View Full Version : New from California

ffemt
06-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi,

My name's Joe, 22 recently married with my first son due in 2 weeks :-) I recently bought an MK9 for CC. I'm still fairly new to firearms having just started last year. I've built an AR, my wife and I share an HK P2000sk, and I recall someone telling me that as I start owning more guns another 10-day wait is nothing..wrong lol. I've been researching holsters for the MK9 and so far the Supertuck, Comp Tac, and Mr. Softy look good. I'm open to any suggestions for a new Kahr owner, holster recommendations, etc and I hope to learn a great deal from you guys!

Thanks,
Joe

berettabone
06-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Welcome...........I use a High Noon Centerfold IWB or Desantis Nemesis front pocket. Follow the stickies for new Kahr owners. You already had one nice firearm, now another. Both very different. This is the place to get info. You have my condolences for your state.

wyntrout
06-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the forum, Joe. I would favor the Mini Tuck over the Super Tuck for your small pistol. I bought a Mini Tuck for my PM9 and use the same one for PM9, P9, P40, and PM45. I even bought a second one.

See my rig on this EDC link at Post#6:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14938&highlight=EDC+Picture+Thread

A good sturdy gun belt is key to comfortable and safe carry.

Wynn:)

leftysixty
06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the forum! I pocket carry with a Blackhawk #4 nylon holster. So probably not much help to ya.

Enjoy!

ffemt
06-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Welcome...........I use a High Noon Centerfold IWB or Desantis Nemesis front pocket. Follow the stickies for new Kahr owners. You already had one nice firearm, now another. Both very different. This is the place to get info. You have my condolences for your state.

Thanks, and I have found one good use of the bullet button on my AR. Makes ammo last longer because of the fidgeting that's required to drop the mag lol.

Welcome to the forum, Joe. I would favor the Mini Tuck over the Super Tuck for your small pistol. I bought a Mini Tuck for my PM9 and use the same one for PM9, P9, P40, and PM45. I even bought a second one.

See my rig on this EDC link at Post#6:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14938&highlight=EDC+Picture+Thread

A good sturdy gun belt is key to comfortable and safe carry.

Sweet pics, helps a ton! I've never used a holster of that size, how hard is it to put on everyday and get it moved/tucked just how you like it?

Welcome to the forum! I pocket carry with a Blackhawk #4 nylon holster. So probably not much help to ya.

Enjoy!

It helps, I agree with that choice of holster too..I had one in size 5 or 6 I believe for my HK for 6 o clock during hikes.. scaled a mountain and had no problem staying comfy!

wyntrout
06-04-2014, 10:54 PM
I put the first clip just forward of the second belt loop on the right, then make sure the Kydex holster part goes inside my pants, and the other clip goes on. Then I can tighten my belt and put in my pistol.

It's very comfortable in place and while I can feel the gun and holster when seated, it doesn't cause discomfort. The Kydex holds the pistol securely and the leather backing shields you from the pistol.

If you sweat much, get the horsehide model... handles moisture better.

Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch said “Carrying a gun isn’t supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be a comfort.”

ffemt
06-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch said something to the effect of wearing a concealed pistol is supposed to comfort you, not be comfortable.

That's funny, my dad (who carries a PM9), said the same quote over the weekend when I was considering a Kahr and that my P2000sk was too big for me. Wise words! :)

berettabone
06-05-2014, 07:16 AM
This may help........

ffemt
06-05-2014, 07:54 AM
This may help........

Do you think if the clip was offset rather than directly over the gun it would make a big difference to conceal or with such a slim gun it doesn't matter?

wyntrout
06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
For better concealment and stability I prefer two clips not adding to the thickness of the pistol and holster. I do have the other types and use them for brief carry or when I have to take off and put back on my pistol while out.

ffemt
06-05-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm going to have to give crossbreed a shot then!

Also would you guys say $425 shipped was a good price for the MK9 used? I believe it was based off of other prices found on armslist.com, Calguns.net, etc but to be honest I only looked for a day and then bought.

After my FFL received it it'll just be another $35 in fees no tax.

Thanks

Bawanna
06-05-2014, 01:10 PM
I think that's a great price.

berettabone
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Do you think if the clip was offset rather than directly over the gun it would make a big difference to conceal or with such a slim gun it doesn't matter?
I am going to give you some advice. I am NOT one of the many who have a closet full of holsters before they purchased the right one for them. I will show you A holster that I have in my closet, that I will sell you for $60. Brand new, never worn, just tried on a few times. They are double that, plus belt cost, and there is a few month waiting period. It is one of many reasons why I have and use the holsters I have now. These types of holsters, not for all, but for most, are the most uncomfortable pos I have ever felt. They are cumbersome standing up, and make it impossible to sit down. This holster is basically the same as a Crossbreed, in fact better materials in my opinion. If you really want a holster like this, I will be happy to sell you mine. If not, a one clip IWB holster, with a good belt, is the most comfortable thing going. I wear mine at 2:00 o'clock. No printing, no gouging, comfortable. There are plenty of companies that make these types of holsters. I happen to like High Noon. For comfort and service and cost. If you still want one of these type holsters, let me knowhttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

ffemt
06-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I am going to give you some advice. I am NOT one of the many who have a closet full of holsters before they purchased the right one for them. I will show you A holster that I have in my closet, that I will sell you for $60. Brand new, never worn, just tried on a few times. They are double that, plus belt cost, and there is a few month waiting period. It is one of many reasons why I have and use the holsters I have now. These types of holsters, not for all, but for most, are the most uncomfortable pos I have ever felt. They are cumbersome standing up, and make it impossible to sit down. This holster is basically the same as a Crossbreed, in fact better materials in my opinion. If you really want a holster like this, I will be happy to sell you mine. If not, a one clip IWB holster, with a good belt, is the most comfortable thing going. I wear mine at 2:00 o'clock. No printing, no gouging, comfortable. There are plenty of companies that make these types of holsters. I happen to like High Noon. For comfort and service and cost. If you still want one of these type holsters, let me knowhttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

I want to wait until I'm able to hold my MK9 and then go from there. I definitely want to get the crossbreed type and at least one kydex as well, and after researching your Cleveland holster it has raving reviews so I'll be contacting you in the near future. Thanks!

Also for anyone, how is the Comfort level with the plastic vs leather in AIWB?